Gatlinburg, TN
Mills Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: tamahawk Hole #6 (Taken 10/2009)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Mills Park DGC

1    9/30/2017   10/2/2017
Review By: craigd
Pros: Mills Park features a beginner friendly, 2100' foot, nine hole course in the beautiful Smoky Mountains. A kiosk with info, scorecards, and a course map are all available. Speaking of the course map, it won't hurt to grab one on your first visit. A practice basket for a quick brush up on putting is also a nice touch. A pavilion with picnic tables and clean bathrooms are right at hole one as well. Mach 5 baskets, concrete tees, and tee signs round out the amenities. Overall this is a sufficiently stocked course for a small city park facility.

There is thoughtful use of the topography as you'll find both uphill and downhill shots along with hole eight's valley shot. You'll also find some sweeping left and right shots with a couple pronounced doglegs as well. Overall, for the intention of the course, the design certainly serves it purpose well.

Hole nine I guess is what you'd consider the "signature" hole as it's a fun downhill shot that will lure you into emptying you bag. It was a great way to finish the round.
Cons: You'll find yourself playing throughout a multi-use park so sharing some of the real estate is to be expected during busy times.

I thought number two was a bad hole. And par 4? Just because there is no legitimate line to the basket doesn't legitimize a par 4 on a 305' hole. Can you get through to the basket? Sure, but I seriously believe if I took 10 shots with my eyes open, and 10 with my eyes closed, we'd find similar results. Of course, to be fair, locals can probably find a sweet spot and send a repeatable shot with better percentages.

On some of the other holes, low hanging branches gave me the feeling I was taking a recovery shot out of the rough rather than a clean tee shot. Some careful pruning could help open up the course to what was probably the designer's original intention for the holes. The consolation is that it will add some challenge to the shorter holes.

There are couple long walks adding to some confusion as far as layout goes. It's finished off by the long walk from hole nine to the parking lot that was more frustrating than arduous.
Other Thoughts: Like some other reviewers, I couldn't help being somewhat disappointed. There were some fun shots here but overall, I had hoped for more. It wasn't terrible but hoped that with the terrain in the area that I'd find nine really fun holes. Instead, I found some basic disc golf in a crowded park. With that said, and despite what it may sound like, I am not dogging the course. It's actually a decent little course. Again, I had just expected more.

I would certainly recommend the course for those on track to add as many courses to the played list as possible. It will also satisfy your disc golf itch if you are in the area vacationing and need a break from reality!

Wow! Nice niner.

1    8/26/2017   8/26/2017
Review By: Bennybennybenny
Pros: -I like Mills Park. It's probably going to shock you in a positive way. It's relatively easy to find because of there being arrows on how to locate it once you are within maybe half a mile.

-Has tee-pads and tee-signs. Which you won't always see on a nine hole course. Well maybe tee-signs. Shows that the county has a good interest in disc golf as the course is well kept too. And the mach pins are nice.

-Course starts well with a fun steep uphill shot. Hole is only 240' but I threw a mid, so it plays longer. It's up about 25' in elevation so that showed me promise. The next hole was a really unique dogleg right in the woods. But the ending is what takes the cake........

-#9 has to be the greatest hole in Tennessee that is under 200'. It really has to be. It's a beautiful drop shot with a small creek in play. I threw all my putters on this hole and had the audacity to do it again once I picked them up. The hole is literally STRAIGHT downhill. So yep. I walked back up it and threw those putters again. The great thing about this hole is that your shot will be unpredictable. You could somehow sail past the OB road, or hit one of the trees short of the basket. A true gem of an ace run.
Cons: -It gets extremely crowded. If you've played Waynesville before, well expect it to be like Waynesville. There was a high school soccer game going on and the bystanders were watching on hole 3. They were polite enough to allow me to throw beside the tee-pad where I'm not in their way.

-The tee-sign for hole 2 is missing. The tee-pad is still there but this hole is a dogleg so it took me a minute to find the basket.

-Hole 7. Not a good hole here. It's a big uphill anhy shot but directly over the road. Making it kinda silly. However, I did like the tall plant beside the basket. That was neat! I also didn't see a real lane to hole 8. You have to clear one of the two gaps separated by a tree in the woods and somehow get a lucky skip shot uphill around a number of trees. Picturesque hole for sure though.
Other Thoughts: -I really liked this nine hole course. I'd love to see more courses be designed in Cherokee. I saw some disccatchers on a private property but didn't go there, I don't think it's marked on this site either. But it's just a few miles down the road.

-You see a lot of variety here for a nine holer. More than usual I'd say because there are not two holes similar to each other. You'll see a gem of a dogleg right, and a huge dropshot where about 80% of the distance of the hole is lost because of the drop. I played three course in Morristown and got out of my way a little to come up here and didn't regret it.

average course

1    1/25/2017   3/11/2017
Review By: jj155112
Pros: hole 9 is a sweet shot straight down. Baskets are in good shape.
Cons: holes 1 and 2 I could not figure out how to throw. I think there were some signs missing and I never figured it out. Some steep hikes on a couple holes and would around the ball fields and track.
Other Thoughts: Short course, okay for a quick round.

Fun little course

2-4    6/21/2016   6/21/2016
Review By: bilborph
Pros: Some fun reachable holes for a rec player. Most tee pads are concrete, in good condition.
Cons: Some rough, steep slopes on a few holes. Layout is a little disjointed around the track and ball fields.
Other Thoughts: Glad to have a course to play in the area while on vacation.

Little High School DGC

1    6/20/2016   6/20/2016
Review By: jaredbrumbelow
Pros: It was just a short, average 9 hole course. The baskets were in good shape and there was some signage.

I really enjoyed the last hole which is definitely the steepest elevation change I've ever seen. It's a straight down throw that I out drove the basket with my putter, but it is definitely a unique hole that I have only played similarly at one other locale (White Oak Park).

Offers a little bit of scenery if you climb the stairs at tee 7. Literally a picture perfect shot of the mountains there if the school wasn't in ther way.

Concrete tee pads on all but one hole. Nice course map at first tee.
Cons: Not quite what it sounds like. There were 2 other nearby courses for tourists to tryout for a quick round, but I specifically chose this one because it was called "Park DGC" and the others had school and church in the titles. This one is literally fashioned around Gatlinburg High Schools athletic facilities. There's not a problem with school DGC's, but it usually means the course design isn't the best as it has to be designed around existing facilities. That's mostly how this is. It starts at the park but only 2 holes are off the school campus. Most are generic holes, straight or an occasional dog leg.

The course isn't terrible. Just bland in a locale that would thinkably have excellent geographic potential. Other than hole 9, it was very bland.

Also missing signage on hole 2 so just look for the tee pad.

It's opposite for hole 7 as there is a sign but no tee pad so you just throw from the sidewalk.
Other Thoughts: If you are just craving a quick round on your vacation, then you can get a quick 30-45 round in. But, this course isn't anything spectacular and a little out of the way for simply average especially if you're staying in Pigeon Forge (About 20-30 minutes depending on traffic). Will be trying other area courses soon.

Decent course. Beautiful scenery

1    3/10/2016   3/30/2016
Review By: JDS3105
Pros: Fairly easy to play
Not too crowded
Beautiful view of the mountains
Practice baskets
Cons: A bit confusing to navigate
Very long walk from hole 2-3
Tee sign missing on 2
Holes interfere with park goers
Other Thoughts: This isn't a bad little course by any means but I thought it looked better in the pictures. Holes 2-3 are probably the most difficult and the only holes where a forehand or anhyzer shot would be beneficial. You can easily play this course in 45 minutes. I'd avoid playing between 2-3 because it's located near a school and lots of kids walk and can get in the way. Most likely I will play next time we are in the area. I'd love to see more courses in the area.

What the What?

1    7/10/2015   1/7/2016
Review By: whitefedora
Pros: -Some real gem holes mixed in with some very doable holes.
-Great course for a quick round or for people that live here and need to satisfy the itch of playing.
-Nice use of elevation
-Good concrete teepads
-Decent signage
-map/kiosk at the parking lot
Cons: The flow of the course is pretty bad. Long walks with basically walking 9 out and then having to walk all the way back to the parking lot.
-it's a multiuse park where I could definitely see not being able to play holes due to other people using the park on some holes.
- hole 9 could be pretty gnarly after rain. Already a tricky slope when dry.
Other Thoughts: Hole 2, 8, and 9 were quite nice holes and while 9 is quite short it's definitely unique in how much it drops down quick.

This course is fun. It's great for people visiting the Smokey mountains/Gatlinburg and great for the people that live close by. I wouldn't go out of my way to play it, but definitely worth the stop if near by.

Nice short course

1    11/4/2015   11/4/2015
Review By: Gradperk
Pros: Nice short course with a few interesting shots. I found myself throwing a lot of anhyzers. Hole nine is neat but the trek down the hill is a little touch and go. Hole eight was my favorite one. An elevated tee pad across a valley to an basket that was tucked behind some trees.
Cons: Missing sign on number two. Long walk between two and three and then again after nine

Great Short Smokey Mountains Course

1    9/23/2015   9/23/2015
Review By: Harpo1989
Pros: This is one of the nicest 9 hole courses that I've played. Great place to go if you're traveling to Pidgeon Forge and/or Gatlinburg. It is located in a well maintained community park. I felt it had a happy medium as it wasn't too difficult for a beginning player yet added a little bit of spice for a more advanced player.

Hole #2, which is to the left of the first hole (we had a bit of trouble finding it) is by far the most difficult. It did not have a well defined path to shoot for but is the only par 4 on the course and definitely attainable.

Don't go right on three as it is a steep hill and could be difficult to get to your disc. The remaining holes are a nice mix of open and wooded with a very unique finishing hole that basically plays straight down hill. A flick of the wrist is all that is needed. An absolutely fun hole to play!
Cons: Navigation is the biggest con. There are maps near the first tee and I suggest you take one as the tees for 2, especially 4, and 7 were a little tricky and took us a bit to find.

Also, there is no tee sign for hole #2.
Other Thoughts: We had a lot of fun. We had 2 first timers with us and this course did not disappoint.

SO. SPREAD. OUT.

1    8/10/2015   8/10/2015
Review By: davetherocketguy
Pros: - Excellent use of land available within a nice and tidy multiuse park.
- Each hole on its own is well thought out design.
- Very clean and mowed fairways.
- Senic. Cannot stress this enough just how pretty the views are all around the course.
- Well constructed tee pads. #9 is teeny tiny but good grief if you need a run up on that hole you fail at disc golf.
- Baskets are all in great shape and properly installed.
- Some well thought out risk/reward here. #3 is a good example of this especially if you play the OB. To the left is a tight OB line and to the right some nightmare shule.
- I think #8 is the signature hole on this course. Finding the right line to get up to the basket was really tough and I liked the challenge. #9 could arguably be the signature hole as well with its stupid short length and HUGE elevation change from tee to basket.
- The tee signs are beautiful. Some of the best I've ever seen. Unfortunately, the #2 sign is gone. I really like the clear indication of OB.
Cons: - No benches. Seriously needed here.
- Not all the distances looked correct to me. #4 says it's ~220 and I think it's closer to 280.
- #9 is a fantastic hole but that walk down the fairway is dicey at best. Either some steps need to be installed or something of that nature. If someone takes a header here that could be a nasty fall.
- #2 is a serious 'poke-n-hope' fairway with no real defined line. Also didn't care for how close this hole played to the cemetary.
- I haven't seen walks this long between holes since I played Andrews U in Berrien Springs, MI. #2 to #3 isn't terrible but goes around a football field. The real kicker is going from #9 to #1. This is the second longest walk I've ever seen between holes behind #13 to #14 at Andrews. Is there anything the course designer could have done differently? Nope. Is it still going to affect my score? Yep.
- I probably wouldn't mind the long walks so much had it been for better navigational aids. The tee signs did always indicate which way to walk to the next tee but that's not enough IMHO in a place like this. With that said, bring a map or bring a smart phone with this map loaded up or you will get lost. I don't care how well that map at tee one is memorized it just isn't going to help until you're out on the course.
- Not a real big fan of playing so close to walkways. Just isn't safe and #3 is a little too close to the football field for my comfort.
Other Thoughts: Don't let my review discourage you from playing this course. It's pretty good in it's own right. In a vacuum, I'd say that every hole here is good in it's own right but when put together in this lay out it just isn't great.

I do see the course designer here working the land as best as possible and frankly I'm not sure what could be done differently to make it better. If you're in the area and are jones'in to play some DG hit this place up it will not be a waste of your time.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6