Gatlinburg, TN
Mills Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: tamahawk Hole #2 (Taken 10/2009)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
It Ends Way Down Hill.

1    8/11/2018   10/4/2018
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (2.183 Rating) A spread-out small city park course.
- SIGNATURE HOLE - Hole (9) is killer. A chip shot ace run with a 6 foot wide needle line that's downhill 60 feet and across a creek. Normally I would unload my bag on a hole like this, but considering I smashed the chains on my first throw, I saw no need to continue. Obviously, my disc slammed into the base of the basket after hitting the chains squarely, and so it decided to politely wave to me while jumping out of the basket.
- TEES - Average 4 foot by 10 foot concrete tees on seven holes. Hole (9) is a 4 foot by foot pavered standing room only tee on the hill side. I'd say these measurements were adequate for the length of the course.
- SIGNAGE - Adequate HB tee signage. They have all the necessary info for this short course. The signage on (2) was missing on my play.
- COURSE MAP - Great course map at the beginning of the layout as well as a box with scorecards with map picture. Man I wish every course did this.
- BEGINNER FRIENDLY - Not ideal, but still user friendly enough to have a vacation counterpart tag along in most circumstances. Completing a 12 mile hike up a mountain earlier in the day is apparently a disqualifier. The course difficulty is a tweener between Novice and Recreational level.
- QUICK PLAY - My wife was happy I bagged this one solo in only 30 minutes. Figure 45 minutes for a two-some and an hour for a four-some.

Cons: A couple of design complaints and 9 holer inadequacies.
- DESIGN - Hole (2) is ridicules. Sure it's a 304 foot par 4, but my gosh, absolutely no line. I ran up the fairway on (2) a good 100 feet as I could not define a line from tee. Then I shook my head all the way back to the tee and then blindly rolled the dice down a small lane in hopes to run it at least 150 feet. My resultant approach had views of the basket peaking threw the trees but with no line to realistically get it within 30 feet without some luck. Hole (8) is another quasi-poke and hope line for the last 75 feet. This one is just a right-hand hzyer chucked 200 feet and then praying is makes one of the many 2 foot gaps for the remaining distance. Other than hole (9), the rest of the holes aren't anything to write home about, design speaking.
- LACK OF CHALLENGE - Advanced players will be extremely underwhelmed by this course. 6 holes are under 250 feet in length and three of these are under 200 feet. Hole (2) and (8) offer a little challenge to par as there is no logical line to the basket, but even with these two holes, the course only offers lower recreational challenges at best.
- MULTI USE HAZARDS - I've seen much worse, but other park amenities are in fringe play on several holes. Hole (7) was probably the worst offender which tees off a park sidewalk and then runs along another path. Holes (3) and (4) also have a walking paths in play.
- DISCONTINUITY - I've never jumped around so much on a short course. Really not much the designer could have done here. The usable spaces to put in holes are pretty spread out in this small park.
- CHARACTER - A touch below average. As noted in the pros, average tees and nice signage. There is also a shelter and practice basket nearby tee (1). The baskets are average MachVs. As for things gravely needed, seating. I think there was perhaps one or two picnic tables commandeered and placed near a tee box. Other missing items include alternate pin placements and multiple tee pads.
- TERRAIN - Hole (9) is borderline terrifying to traverse. I started down with to much pace and was forced into a run to keep my balance and nearly wiped it at the base of the hill. This course is not cart friendly just because of this hole.

Other Thoughts: A reasonable 9 holer in a small town. This course is far from being a destination location, but the town of Gatlinburg definitely is. Every dedicated bagger with a family needs to plan a trip here as it will keep the family happy and the addiction filled.
- NATURAL BEAUTY - There are some amazingly beautiful throws on this course that are mixed in with some duds. Holes (2), (8) and (9) are all aesthetically well above average. However holes (3), (4) and (7) bring my score well back with all the manmade structures in view. Hole (7) has a burned out building on the left side. This I would assume is from the raging fires that sweep threw in November of 2016.
- UNIQUENESS - Not to bad for a niner, but overall average. There are no doubt some good elevation changes on a couple shots, but I was expecting this considering the area. Basically all par 3s except for the poke and hope 305 foot par 4 on (2). Water makes a fringe appearance on (9) and shots break both ways. What's missing here most is an opportunity to rip it. I was throwing mids or less on almost every tee and I'm not a big arm.
- NAVIGATION - Don't be an idiot like me and forget to grab a scorecard. I only took a picture of the posted course map and I was constantly looking at it. Even with the this, I still lost my bearings once. Navigation on this course is not easy without them. The tee signage on (2) is missing. There's a huge course flow gap between (2) and (3) and also (6) and (7). There is no dedicated tee pad on (7) and I personally had a tough time discerning where to throw to, even with the tee signage. The course also doesn't loop back to the parking area, so once finished, it's a 1,000 foot walk back.

Decent Little Course

1    6/3/2018   6/10/2018
Review By: Ckfarley
Pros: Mixture of wooded shots and some open ones.
Fun/challenging short shots
Cons: Not safe on number 9 if you have kids. Extremely downhill. Just skip it
Other Thoughts: Had a stroller with my 2 year old and my 5 year old with me and we about killed ourselves on 9. They really need some kind of steps or something to somehow manage that drop. Other than that it's a fun little course.

Mills Park DGC

1    9/30/2017   10/2/2017
Review By: craigd
Pros: Mills Park features a beginner friendly, 2100' foot, nine hole course in the beautiful Smoky Mountains. A kiosk with info, scorecards, and a course map are all available. Speaking of the course map, it won't hurt to grab one on your first visit. A practice basket for a quick brush up on putting is also a nice touch. A pavilion with picnic tables and clean bathrooms are right at hole one as well. Mach 5 baskets, concrete tees, and tee signs round out the amenities. Overall this is a sufficiently stocked course for a small city park facility.

There is thoughtful use of the topography as you'll find both uphill and downhill shots along with hole eight's valley shot. You'll also find some sweeping left and right shots with a couple pronounced doglegs as well. Overall, for the intention of the course, the design certainly serves it purpose well.

Hole nine I guess is what you'd consider the "signature" hole as it's a fun downhill shot that will lure you into emptying you bag. It was a great way to finish the round.
Cons: You'll find yourself playing throughout a multi-use park so sharing some of the real estate is to be expected during busy times.

I thought number two was a bad hole. And par 4? Just because there is no legitimate line to the basket doesn't legitimize a par 4 on a 305' hole. Can you get through to the basket? Sure, but I seriously believe if I took 10 shots with my eyes open, and 10 with my eyes closed, we'd find similar results. Of course, to be fair, locals can probably find a sweet spot and send a repeatable shot with better percentages.

On some of the other holes, low hanging branches gave me the feeling I was taking a recovery shot out of the rough rather than a clean tee shot. Some careful pruning could help open up the course to what was probably the designer's original intention for the holes. The consolation is that it will add some challenge to the shorter holes.

There are couple long walks adding to some confusion as far as layout goes. It's finished off by the long walk from hole nine to the parking lot that was more frustrating than arduous.
Other Thoughts: Like some other reviewers, I couldn't help being somewhat disappointed. There were some fun shots here but overall, I had hoped for more. It wasn't terrible but hoped that with the terrain in the area that I'd find nine really fun holes. Instead, I found some basic disc golf in a crowded park. With that said, and despite what it may sound like, I am not dogging the course. It's actually a decent little course. Again, I had just expected more.

I would certainly recommend the course for those on track to add as many courses to the played list as possible. It will also satisfy your disc golf itch if you are in the area vacationing and need a break from reality!

Wow! Nice niner.

1    8/26/2017   8/26/2017
Review By: Bennybennybenny
Pros: -I like Mills Park. It's probably going to shock you in a positive way. It's relatively easy to find because of there being arrows on how to locate it once you are within maybe half a mile.

-Has tee-pads and tee-signs. Which you won't always see on a nine hole course. Well maybe tee-signs. Shows that the county has a good interest in disc golf as the course is well kept too. And the mach pins are nice.

-Course starts well with a fun steep uphill shot. Hole is only 240' but I threw a mid, so it plays longer. It's up about 25' in elevation so that showed me promise. The next hole was a really unique dogleg right in the woods. But the ending is what takes the cake........

-#9 has to be the greatest hole in Tennessee that is under 200'. It really has to be. It's a beautiful drop shot with a small creek in play. I threw all my putters on this hole and had the audacity to do it again once I picked them up. The hole is literally STRAIGHT downhill. So yep. I walked back up it and threw those putters again. The great thing about this hole is that your shot will be unpredictable. You could somehow sail past the OB road, or hit one of the trees short of the basket. A true gem of an ace run.
Cons: -It gets extremely crowded. If you've played Waynesville before, well expect it to be like Waynesville. There was a high school soccer game going on and the bystanders were watching on hole 3. They were polite enough to allow me to throw beside the tee-pad where I'm not in their way.

-The tee-sign for hole 2 is missing. The tee-pad is still there but this hole is a dogleg so it took me a minute to find the basket.

-Hole 7. Not a good hole here. It's a big uphill anhy shot but directly over the road. Making it kinda silly. However, I did like the tall plant beside the basket. That was neat! I also didn't see a real lane to hole 8. You have to clear one of the two gaps separated by a tree in the woods and somehow get a lucky skip shot uphill around a number of trees. Picturesque hole for sure though.
Other Thoughts: -I really liked this nine hole course. I'd love to see more courses be designed in Cherokee. I saw some disccatchers on a private property but didn't go there, I don't think it's marked on this site either. But it's just a few miles down the road.

-You see a lot of variety here for a nine holer. More than usual I'd say because there are not two holes similar to each other. You'll see a gem of a dogleg right, and a huge dropshot where about 80% of the distance of the hole is lost because of the drop. I played three course in Morristown and got out of my way a little to come up here and didn't regret it.

average course

1    1/25/2017   3/11/2017
Review By: jj155112
Pros: hole 9 is a sweet shot straight down. Baskets are in good shape.
Cons: holes 1 and 2 I could not figure out how to throw. I think there were some signs missing and I never figured it out. Some steep hikes on a couple holes and would around the ball fields and track.
Other Thoughts: Short course, okay for a quick round.

Fun little course

2-4    6/21/2016   6/21/2016
Review By: bilborph
Pros: Some fun reachable holes for a rec player. Most tee pads are concrete, in good condition.
Cons: Some rough, steep slopes on a few holes. Layout is a little disjointed around the track and ball fields.
Other Thoughts: Glad to have a course to play in the area while on vacation.

Little High School DGC

1    6/20/2016   6/20/2016
Review By: jaredbrumbelow
Pros: It was just a short, average 9 hole course. The baskets were in good shape and there was some signage.

I really enjoyed the last hole which is definitely the steepest elevation change I've ever seen. It's a straight down throw that I out drove the basket with my putter, but it is definitely a unique hole that I have only played similarly at one other locale (White Oak Park).

Offers a little bit of scenery if you climb the stairs at tee 7. Literally a picture perfect shot of the mountains there if the school wasn't in ther way.

Concrete tee pads on all but one hole. Nice course map at first tee.
Cons: Not quite what it sounds like. There were 2 other nearby courses for tourists to tryout for a quick round, but I specifically chose this one because it was called "Park DGC" and the others had school and church in the titles. This one is literally fashioned around Gatlinburg High Schools athletic facilities. There's not a problem with school DGC's, but it usually means the course design isn't the best as it has to be designed around existing facilities. That's mostly how this is. It starts at the park but only 2 holes are off the school campus. Most are generic holes, straight or an occasional dog leg.

The course isn't terrible. Just bland in a locale that would thinkably have excellent geographic potential. Other than hole 9, it was very bland.

Also missing signage on hole 2 so just look for the tee pad.

It's opposite for hole 7 as there is a sign but no tee pad so you just throw from the sidewalk.
Other Thoughts: If you are just craving a quick round on your vacation, then you can get a quick 30-45 round in. But, this course isn't anything spectacular and a little out of the way for simply average especially if you're staying in Pigeon Forge (About 20-30 minutes depending on traffic). Will be trying other area courses soon.

Decent course. Beautiful scenery

1    3/10/2016   3/30/2016
Review By: JDS3105
Pros: Fairly easy to play
Not too crowded
Beautiful view of the mountains
Practice baskets
Cons: A bit confusing to navigate
Very long walk from hole 2-3
Tee sign missing on 2
Holes interfere with park goers
Other Thoughts: This isn't a bad little course by any means but I thought it looked better in the pictures. Holes 2-3 are probably the most difficult and the only holes where a forehand or anhyzer shot would be beneficial. You can easily play this course in 45 minutes. I'd avoid playing between 2-3 because it's located near a school and lots of kids walk and can get in the way. Most likely I will play next time we are in the area. I'd love to see more courses in the area.

What the What?

1    7/10/2015   1/7/2016
Review By: whitefedora
Pros: -Some real gem holes mixed in with some very doable holes.
-Great course for a quick round or for people that live here and need to satisfy the itch of playing.
-Nice use of elevation
-Good concrete teepads
-Decent signage
-map/kiosk at the parking lot
Cons: The flow of the course is pretty bad. Long walks with basically walking 9 out and then having to walk all the way back to the parking lot.
-it's a multiuse park where I could definitely see not being able to play holes due to other people using the park on some holes.
- hole 9 could be pretty gnarly after rain. Already a tricky slope when dry.
Other Thoughts: Hole 2, 8, and 9 were quite nice holes and while 9 is quite short it's definitely unique in how much it drops down quick.

This course is fun. It's great for people visiting the Smokey mountains/Gatlinburg and great for the people that live close by. I wouldn't go out of my way to play it, but definitely worth the stop if near by.

Nice short course

1    11/4/2015   11/4/2015
Review By: Gradperk
Pros: Nice short course with a few interesting shots. I found myself throwing a lot of anhyzers. Hole nine is neat but the trek down the hill is a little touch and go. Hole eight was my favorite one. An elevated tee pad across a valley to an basket that was tucked behind some trees.
Cons: Missing sign on number two. Long walk between two and three and then again after nine

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6