Morristown, TN

< Prev 1 2 3 4
I liked the rocks

1    10/15/2018   10/15/2018
Review By: Bennybennybenny
Pros: -I don't know what to say really. I guess the fact that there are alternate pin positions could be a good thing (read cons below).

-Starts off with a good starter. It's an uphill ace run that requires height because of the rocks in the fairway. The rocks are honestly the only thing that kept me from walking off on this course. Hole 9 was an okay valley shot. The tree in the middle of the fairway kinda forces a control hyzer. Or you could go through the left gap and try to anhyzer an overstable mid or putter and have it cut back left and leave you with a short birdie putt.

-There's a gatorade vending machine that isn't sold out. That's a relief.

-Teesigns include both pin positions on the diagrams. Course isn't that hard to navigate.

-Honestly, my favorite part of the course was looking at the cave on hole 13. It's pretty cool!
Cons: -Before you read this section, I need to mention that this isn't my definition of a fun course. I get that. I'm not a fan of short and wooded. I like wooded courses with more variety, length, and better elevation change. However, my experience here was bad. Most of the baskets were in the alternate pins. I looked closely at the tee sign diagrams and the media after my round here and saw that the baskets were indeed in the alternate pins. Most of them are either mediocre, or not my idea of fun. The original pins are a little better, but simply aren't my taste.

-I wouldn't recommend this course if you don't live nearby, just go to Rotary Park or Panther Creek. Some issues at those courses are what we have here at Kiwanis, but at least there's a good mix of holes there. And the issues are not as excessive. Some people have said that they don't like the new pins at Rotary and I get it. The approach shots may be odd to some people. The reason why I kinda like them is because most of the new pins are par 4s and give more options on how to approach the hole to get a better look for birdie. Since every hole here is truly a par 3, you are left with some bogus tee shots with little to no room.

-After the first hole, I was looking forward to playing the remaining seventeen holes. I get to hole 2 and it's in the alt pin. I wasn't a fan of it. It's maybe 220'. There's a well groomed and lengthy wooded fairway, but then you realize that the basket is about 40-50' tucked into the woods to the right. Hole 3 was really bad. It's a skip hyzer shot (I'd skip the hole entirely and skip to the next hole), basket was in the alt pin to the left in the woods.

-Hole 5 is where you start to make jokes. This hole should be in the original placement in the open. No debate about this. The original pin is maybe 250' around the orchard of trees. The alt pin is in the woods. The green is guarded by dozens of pine trees. I threw a big hyzer and hit one of them. Luckily it rolled out in the open. Discs get stuck in pine trees, and considering the fact there's no actual lane to get to the basket from the pad, this hole sucks. Not to mention most of these trees are limbless until maybe 25' off the ground. Good luck climbing them. How high can you go? I wonder how high the person who thought this was a good idea was.

-Holes 10 and 11 are pieces of art. I'd compare them to those canvas paintings of people jerking off (yes those paintings exist). No idea why artists are compelled to paint something like that, and I have no idea why holes like these two holes were designed the way the were. The only "art" you'll see are the rocks in the fairway. Your best bet on hole 10 is to throw a sideways flick down the right side (if you're a righty). If you're a lefty, I'd stop playing now. I posted on my instagram story a photo of this hole and captioned "How tf do you play this hole??"

The trees in front of the pad on 11 need to go. This hole is uphill and full of rocks. I threw a great hyzer and dodged the trees, but was left 40' short of the pin. You have to throw an extreme hyzer just to find out that your shot ended up just a bit short.

-#13 has a drop zone? Why????? I initially thought this was a solid, split fairway hole. That's because I didn't see a mando, but since there's a drop zone, there might be a mando. This hole would be better off giving us freewill and deciding for ourselves what route we should take.

-I literally quit trying after 13. I would throw and be left with maybe a 60' approach. No need to finish; go to the next hole.

-My favorite hole was a wide open 230' putter shot (#17). If I think that's the best hole on the course, then that means I didn't have fun. The original pin is to the right and tucked into the woods, but the basket was in the alt pin, or I guess the short pin. I was having a hard time having a good attitude about this course, so I threw my shield and picked it up and called it a birdie (my drive was bad and I had maybe a 50' putt).

-#18 is a strange finisher. It's typical for this course; there's a tree in the middle of the fairway that gives two small gaps and the hole cuts to the right and makes sort of a lighting bolt shape.

-Baskets are old and a bit beat up. Graffiti on a few of them.
Other Thoughts: -What I don't understand is why this course has a higher rating than Victor Ashe, Morningside, and Tommy Schumpert. Those courses are all gems that are full of fun shots. You have the option in playing whatever layout you want to at Tommy Schumpert and are bound to create an amazing course out of your ideal layout, not to mention it's very hilly. Victor Ashe is gorgeous! Has multiple pin positions and and wide variety of holes. And that's a primarily open course. Morningside is hilly and has perfectly designed fairways that require accuracy, but are very rewarding. It seems unreal that this course has a higher rating than the Knoxville courses (all threeare listed in my favorites).

-If I had to compare this course to a band, it would be System of a Down. Many people like them, and I have no idea why. Their music is impossible to take seriously and it seems like they became a band just to be made fun of. The majority of the holes I played here were ridiculous, made no sense, and were impossible for me to take seriously. A few of the holes I played where pretty good (1, 4, 7, 8, and 17) but that's it.

-I'm giving this course a 2. The layout I played yesterday was a 1. Some of the original baskets are pretty solid holes (2,3,5, and 16). I saw the original pins and they didn't look much better. Some holes here (1,4,7,8,9,10,11,18) only have one pin.

-With the high rating this course has, I wouldn't be surprised if you disagree with me if you decide to play here for the first time. If you have read many of my reviews and prefer variety and more distance like I do, I would discourage you from playing here.

A Wonderful Experience

1    10/5/2018   10/5/2018
Review By: thrembo
Pros: 18 holes set on a scenic rocky hilly mountaintop. One good sized concrete tee with a nice tee sign and one basket with two positions per hole. The course is very well designed and seems to maximize the available terrain. Most of the holes have well-defined fairways with plenty of trees to bend around and of course, most of the holes have some healthy elevation changes. The course is very well maintained and there are enough navigation aids to make finding your way around a snap. There is a nice hole one that lets you know right out the gate what type, of course, this is. I guess there is something to be said to starting strong also.
Cons: The cons are minor. The course is a smidge tight in spots and there are a couple of holes where multiple baskets can be seen from the tee pad. There is a heavily used walking path that winds through the course. You most likely will have to wait a few times to let other park users pass by. They seem like friendly folk though and you will need the breaks from all of the climbing involved. The course could be described as short, but that is not a con for me and all of the hills and woods add plenty to the challenge.
Other Thoughts: If I lived in the area this would probably be my weekly course. It's more my speed and style than the gold level courses in the area. I would recommend sturdy hiking shoes as the course is extremely rocky. Fragile people may want to skip this one. We had a lot of fun playing this course. If you are looking for a shorter mountain course with plenty of eye candy give this one a throw!

This Course Rocks!

1    3/31/2018   3/31/2018
Review By: jjtwinnova
Pros: I pull into this park at 9 in the morning after driving through the Smoky Mountain fog, getting ready to warm up my arm for what will be a marathon day of 81 holes of disc golf. After practicing my putting for a few minutes I walk to the first hole, and I realize that this place is special.

The rocky terrain, the clay soil, the dense woods, all combine to make a beautiful scene, and it feels like you exited the park you pulled into and switched into the seclusion of the forest.

The tee signs were all nice and colorful, with a map, distance and par included. The baskets were slightly older Discatchers, but they caught well and were visible from all angles. Tee pads were long and grippy cement, allowing for complete control from the waist down.

Navigation was easy, and there were no long walks between holes. The course loops back to the parking lot after nine and eighteen. This course would make a great quick stop before or after work, or in between playing the other courses in the area.

There was a good combination of left turning holes, right turning holes, straight shots, uphill, downhill, over a ravine, and everything in between.

Some holes tat stick out to me include, but not limited to:
Hole 2- One of the longest holes on the course at 327 feet, but plays downhill. Twisting down a tight corridor, the drive requires a good bit of accuracy and line shaping. However, if you do make it all the way down the fairway, there is a OB walking path only 5 feet behind the basket, adding strokes if you go long on a drive, or a longer upshot.

Hole 18 is a great finishing hole for a course like this, a nice "bomb" at 323 feet, with a good amount of trees to navigate around, including a well guarded basket that can provide a tough approach if you were to get knocked down early.

I can't help but mention, again, the beauty of the terrain of this course. There were many great rock/boulder features, and combined with the reddish brown soil and the foliage, there were a lot of great photo opportunities, and some of it was quite breathtaking.
Cons: While the course is designed incredibly well, and the park is beautiful, it is still a par 3 course. While there are some holes marked as par fours, the longest hole is 333 feet. To play well at this course you need to have great accuracy with your fairway drivers, midranges and putters, plus a good putt when you get inside the circle, as every hole has the potential to be two-ed with a great shot.

The course does a nice job of staying secluded from other park activities, but plays near a walking trail on a few holes. The course is also tucked into an area that isn't the largest, and some of the holes play close together, or even cross fairways. Safety is paramount, so please check your surroundings before you throw!

A few shots are repetitive, with a hard hyzer being the most common shot, whether it be of the backhand or forehand variety. I get that it makes the course more challenging, and with the short distance it definitely does, but there were a few greens I felt were a bit too extreme.
Other Thoughts: The course is definitely well loved by local players and travelers alike. There is a lot to love, and I would certainly recommend this course to everybody.

The course is definitely falling into the older course category, with the short distances and tight lines, but the course is very enjoyable to play, and next time I am in the area I will plan to play it again!

Kiwanis - Worth the Drive

1    10/20/2017   10/20/2017
Review By: fiberformer
Pros: This is a very fun course for an amateur disc golfer like myself. I do not have a 'big arm' but never felt that I didn't have a chance to make par or birdie because I couldn't throw far enough. The course is well designed for the space it is in. Like another reviewer, I like that the course makes a circle and you finish where you started. There is good variety here : open shots, wooded shots, shots to the left, shots to the right and plenty of elevation changes. The course is well maintained and there a good routes for most of the holes. I would definitely make the 1 1/2 hour drive to play this course again.
Cons: The baskets were a bit hard to spot at times. I think that a different color would make them easier to spot but this is fairly minor.
Other Thoughts: Watch out for other non-disc golfers when playing because they are not watching out for you..
It is nice to have restrooms and drink machines on the premises.

Great short course

1    6/14/2015   6/16/2015
Review By: Jaysauls
Pros: To be honest, wasn't expecting a lot out for this course. The reviews were okay, but nothing said this was a 'must play' course. But within a few holes I was really grinning and digging the course. I personally think this is one of the very best courses to LEARN this game I've ever played.

It's not all that tricky, and with the lack of under brush, very forgiving. A new player should be able to shoot some respectable scores, Intermediate players shoot a few down and advanced players beat it like a drum. And that's what I like. The new player should be able to air out most of their drives and upshot for par. Intermediate and advanced should park most baskets. I'm of average power and even after coming off a grueling round at Harmon Hill, I was still able to park most of them.

But where this park comes into its own is with the new (not TRUE beginner, but someone's who's been playing a few months). I think the mix of right/left is about 55-45. So with the forgiving fairways, the newbie can start practicing forehands, working on long backhand drives. This will lead to somewhat challenging upshots. And that's what newbies need - a test that won't destroy them. And then as they progress, the birds start to fall and the confidence rise.

Another great feature of this course is the benches and picnic tables on all the holes (picnic on most holes). That can make for a really easy round of golf. Play a few holes, break out the cards and play some poker...win-win!

And this course is by far the easiest to navigate I think I've ever played. Stevie Wonder could navigate this one blindfolded and find his way around.

Also enough elevation to help build up a sweat.

Additional kudos to having this course being 2 9-hole loops. Always loved to be able to play a quick 9 and be back at the car.
Cons: Not many...this course is sandwiched between two sets of ball fields so people traipse between them, not really paying attention. I almost nailed a few folks who I didn't see.

And there a couple of holes they could have removed one more tree and made it much better. Hole 9 (over ravine) is a great hole except the stupid tree they left dead center halfway down. If they thought a tree made the hole tougher, should have left a dozen. That would have been REALLY tough! Take the tree out, move the basket far right/left and you have a signature hole. Now, I digged the rope leading down/up, that was a nice touch.

Same thing on 14 (I think). Y'all left a tree right off the tee pad , dead center of the fairway so you have to throw around it. Doesn't make it tougher, makes it stupidier (think that's a word). Take out the freaking tree and make a better basket placement. Not a bad hole, could be much better.
Other Thoughts: Lastly, lots and lots and lots of disc dinging rocks! Apparently a titanium buzz isn't as strong as titanium, despite the name. Had a few skips that dinged the crap out of it.

Great course to build your game on. Lefty holes, righty holes, uphill holes, downhill...the whole enchilada. Why not give it a 4 or better? Just not that difficult for experienced players. But a dang good course nonetheless.

Good Short Course

1    7/1/2014   7/8/2014
Review By: DGLobo999
Pros: Overall a good layout for beginners. A pretty good design considering the limited area to work with. Fairly short course with some technical challenges. Nice park with facilities. Good signage. Good benches. Easy to navigate.
Cons: A couple of holes did not really have routes (throw and hope). Did not go in them but a couple of sink holes were HUGE! Would not be able to recover a disc in them if you went all the way to the bottom. Lots of rocks to bang up discs.

Technical Course

1    6/4/2014   6/4/2014
Review By: Nashvillian
Pros: Good work on your short range and midrange skills. Almost all the holes are duecable with good drives, but is through a lot of obstacles. Good use of elevation on the longer holes make them play shorter that they are. Easy course to go under at if you play by signs. I used a Star Tern on almost every hole and ended up in good shape on a majority of the holes.

Hole are easy to navigate and you can get a round in in little over an hour.
Cons: It is repetitive and if you are hitting every tree under gods green creation like my partner you will not like this course.

Zero Distance Drives.
Other Thoughts: Looking at this course from the courses I frequent in Nashville this course reminds me of Cedars of Lebanon in the style of play. I shot 4 under playing everything as a three and that was fantastic game for me. I hit two 80+ putts and 3 30+.

First time playing here since we are working in the area and just completed the local 3 courses and this one was just ok. I prefer the Rotary Park over this one with Cherokee being a second for me because it is so long.

For those of you with friends that have a big arm you can beat up on them here :D

Very Fun

1    4/6/2014   4/6/2014
Review By: lammersk
Pros: This course takes some technical skill to play, but it isn't ridiculously hard. It's just a lot of fun. You're going to hit some trees, but generally there isn't a lot of underbrush, so you won't be searching forever or climbing through brambles to get your disc. You'll vary which disc you use. Some pins you'll use the one which flies straight, on others there's enough room to use your distance disc, and then you'll need the one which you can get to break at just the right distance to match a hook in the fairway (the Buzzz for me). While this course isn't hard enough to scare beginners away it is definitely one that you need to play a few times to really get a handle on.
Cons: Minor: The Pits: A number of pins played around big pits in the ground. It would have taken a very bad throw to have a disc land in there, but I've made plenty of very bad throws before. While I'm pretty sure I could have gotten down there to retrieve the disc, I'm not sure I'd make it back up. Consider it the equivalent of a water hazard.

Minor: A number of the pins felt short. This didn't bother me terribly since the short ones always seemed to have some skill required to play.
Other Thoughts: I made a trip to Morristown to play Cherokee Park, the Rotary course, and the Kiwanis course. This was the best of the three, hands down. If I lived closer to it I would work it into my regularly played courses with Winged Deer and Warrior's Path, although it's not quite at their level.

I suspect that I will every so often be making the trip to Morristown to play Kiwanis and Cherokee Park in tandem. Playing the two of them will make the hour+ trip worth it.

My Favorite Course!

5+    3/30/2014   4/2/2014
Review By: Baysinger
Pros: Morristown's best course and my personal favorite! Great mix in holes that veer to the left, straight laser shots, holes that play downhill and back uphill, and holes that veer to the right. Even a couple dog-legs. They pretty much thought of every kind of shot you could imagine with this course and threw it in the mix. Always kept up with very well. I was told that the people who take care of the course also play disc golf so they take care of it the way disc golfers want it taken care of. Sinage and tee pads are perfect. Exactly what you want to see on a course. Very close to 2 other 18 hole courses by the same designer. Fairly quick course to get your disc golf fix for a round or two.
Cons: The only real cons I can think of is safety around the sink hole around holes 5 and 7 and the cave on 13. You right of the sink hole on 5 and straight towards it on 7. As long as you have a decent drive there should be no worries but there is a chance you could go down in the sink hole. I like the idea of it as an obsticle for the course but I believe maybe some steps going down the side would make it a lot safer for the unfortunate drives that land in the bottom. Same for the cave on 13. You throw to the left of it but I have seen a kick back many times where a disc ended up in the cave. Once again shouldnt be a problem most of the time but would be good to have a rope or some steps to make the walk down into the cave safer. Other than this the only other con is it can get a bit muddy in certain spots on a day after it rains. Other than these small issues... no major problems! Just watch out for people on the walking trail as not to hurt anyone while they are getting their exercise in!
Other Thoughts: As I said above, this is easitly my favorite course. As of now I have played 24 different courses and this one is the one that I prefer over any. May be because it was my first course I ever played / my home course... not really sure but something about it keeps me playing it at least 2 times a week. Also, course maps / brochures available at all times would be a great addition to all the Morristown courses. Out of towners would really appreciate it.

One of my favorites

5+    12/16/2013   12/17/2013
Review By: TroyJ
Pros: This is a great course. One of my favorites. The tee pads and baskets are clearly marked and everything is very easy to find. On certain holes they will change the basket location a little to change things up. 99% of the course is very well kept up, which is hard to come by sometimes. Its a short and technical course so its easy to get in a quick round before or after work. One or 2 people can play through the course in a bout 30 minites depending on how fast you play.Also this is a small park so there are never to many people there unless there are ball games going on.
Cons: Like I said before, 99% kept up. There are still some areas that if your disc goes there your going to spend atleast 30 minites looking for a disc. This is TN so like every where that is some what wooded you have critters to be aware of, main of all snakes. My group and I have encountered serveral. Over all though not to many bad things to say about the course. Not much parking when there is a good group of people there. (baseball games etc)
Other Thoughts: This is one of my favorite courses like I said before. I play this course all the time after I get off from work. The length is perfect to get in your disc golf fix and not spend your whole day at the park.

< Prev 1 2 3 4