Sanford, NC

Home field

5+    8/9/2012   8/10/2012
Review By: Drew.S
This review was updated on 8/12/2012
Pros: Its the first course I played on, and its not bad for beginners.It has a well rounded mix of terrain and elevation changes. The front 9 is short, but requires acturately placed shots. The back 9 is open and a little more forgiving.
Cons: There are some holes that are missing tee pads; 3, 14, & 17 really need them. Its a public park with the local ymca neighboring it, so you have non-players coming through and leaving trash everywhere.
Other Thoughts: Myself and a few friends are trying to talk our bosses into sponsoring the course and hopefully getting some new tee pads and maybe a weekly cleaning crew, although i don't know how much that will help.

home course

5+    8/7/2012   8/7/2012
Review By: dennieangel
This review was updated on 8/11/2012
Pros: -great lay out
-great for people who just started playing
-great local community
-play it at least 4 times a week ..and it never gets old
Cons: -tee pads needs some work (they are fixing them)
-wish they had better signs

got what I paid for... and then some

1    4/21/2012   4/22/2012
Review By: logjammin
Pros: It was not crowded.
There were no water holes.
Back 9 had some challenging holes.
Easy to find next hole.
Not much undergrowth.
Long tee pads (where there are any)
Cons: Several holes close to the road.
Baskets hard to spot; not bright yellow.
On a few holes, there was no good path to the basket.
No concrete pads on "novice" tees; pads on about half of the other tees.
Other Thoughts: It was not an extremely exciting place to play. 2 of the holes ran parallel to the road through a section of woods. Would have been easy to hit a tree and bounce into traffic. 10 is an open hole with the road 30 feet or so beyond the basket. 15 (I think) was my favorite: throw from a hilltop across a field to a basket 300 feet away. My best drive of the day (and I still got a bogie).

This is about what I expect from a dg course. It's in a public park; we don't have to pay to use it; there's very little tax money allocated for this sport. Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised by a public course. But I'm not really in a position to demand more.

I was excited about going to Fins Furs and Feathers to check out what I hear is a very good selection of dg equipment. But the owner has been rearranging the setup, and the dg stuff was in a locked room. I was outa luck. Then I was hoping to play a good round of dg, but I was outa luck there too. I don't know if this is because of the baskets, or because I wasn't throwing very well today, but a couple of putts seemed to hit the chains perfectly, and kicked back out.

If I'm in the area again, I'll probly play this course again, but I drove about 50 miles to go there, and it wasn't worth that to me.

MEHHHH

2-4    11/25/2011   12/4/2011
Review By: pkbeast
This review was updated on 1/22/2012
Pros: Not a bad little course, and old school as heck. Lots of tight technical turns and places to splash OB. pretty good overall layout, tee pads are pretty well done.
If you like throwing thumbers through tight woods this course is for you. Any decent thrower can score in the -'s on this course without much effort. It is a nice little course for putting around and practicing midrangs/utility shots.
Cons: Putt Putt course. Front nine had no holes over 200feet it seemed and the majority (90%) were just straight shots at the basket with little to no turns. Very bland. If you can throw it straight 200 feet you can -5 or -6 this course
very easily. THICK leaves. friends lost 3 discs in 4 holes, all 100% covered with 3-4 foot deep dead leaves. next to no maintenance and the holes are ON TOP of each other in some cases people driving almost over you going the opposite direction. A little confusing on the layout when you switch to the back nine as well. some signage would be nice.
Other Thoughts: Its an OG course, I understand. It needs a facelift, bad. It cant compare to any other course Ive played, even just 9 hole courses are more fun to play twice than this in most cases.

Fun course

5+    10/8/2011   10/8/2011
Review By: BraveThrower43
This review was updated on 5/12/2012
Pros: This course is a beginner friendly layout with excellent variety of open and technical holes that makes for a fun course to play. The front nine and 16-18 are short and technical while most of the back nine (10-15) are longer and slightly more open.

Holes 9 and 18 loop back to the parking lot so you can go play a quick nine if you want and you don't have to hike back to your car.

Lost disc risk is very low

Benches on every hole.

Most of the holes have fair and attainable lines and the greens are open enough that you won't find yourself with a wall of trees in front of you 20ft from the basket.

A lot of work is being done on the course to make it even better. There were signs of fresh cutting on 16 and 17 (or maybe a lot of fallin trees)

Concrete Tee-pads have been added on many of the holes (mostly the long ones)
Cons: many of the holes will be easy and short for the better players.

While there are concrete pads being put in not all of the holes have them (Doesn't affect my view on the course but some don't like natural pads) also some of the concrete pads are short and awkward.
Even though these are mostly on shorter holes there should still be more room

A few holes come very close to a busy road which could be a problem or danger if someone throws an errant shot.

Some of the tee pads are very close to the previous basket and someone could easily be hit.

I also don't remember seeing many trashcans if any on the course.
Other Thoughts: Overall it was a very fun course to play and was relatively well kept. Nothing fancy and not your championship caliber course but it is defiantly worth a stop if you're in the area

Decent little course

1    9/20/2011   9/22/2011
Review By: pfpro
Pros: - Course layout is fairly intuitive - even with no map, you can pretty easily find the right hole.
- Distances on the
- Am teeboxes as well for beginners.
- Decent variation of tight, wooded, typical NC course for front nine and more open, air-out for the back nine (over the whole course, but somewhat repetitive - see below).
- Even though it was wooded, there is minimal underbrush, so there is minimal risk for losing a disk.
- 15 is a very cool hole - as mentioned in other reviews.
Cons: - Tee pad variations - the dirt was fine, some were under construction - I am somewhat concerned with how the paver blocks they were installing will wear over time (will they stay level?).
- Some of the front nine are a little repetitive - just another tight shots through trees.....
- Two holes (6 & 7 I think) throw parallel and within 50' of the busy street that you just drove on - bad news for an errant RHBH throw. I really don't like them
- The course is tight, and several of the teeboxes are very close to, or you backtrack back down the fairway to throw for the next holes, so it definitely would slow down heavy traffic (although it was empty when I played).
Other Thoughts: - one of the weirdest vibes I have gotten - I went mid-day mid-week, and there was a ton of traffic through the parking lotto the YMCA and a lot of "loitering cars" - people were just watching you. There was nobody on the course, which I like just fine, just concerned that if I "went missing", nobody 'cept the folks who done it would notice.
- The course has a "worn" feeling. All the baskets are there, some are missing the number. Would be nice to have signage with hole layout, or course map at the beginning instead of the old school sponsor's list.
- The course had some trees/branches down (holes 16 and 17) from either the spring tornadoes or Irene, but it was in decent shape considering the damage that was done in other parts of Sanford.
- Decent course - I wouldn't recommend just coming the the Triangle to play that course, but if you're here, you may as well!

Good Little Course

1    10/10/2010   12/10/2010
Review By: All Back Hand
Pros: A few ace runs but require a tight line, quiet and never crowded, 15 is a beautiful hole and worth bragging to friends about, good variety of throws
Cons: Not very many holes that challenge you distance wise, not much change in elevation other then 2 and 15
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed the back 9 more then the front 9. Woods make you throw your line and make the lack of distance a littel more challenging, a nice course but only worth the trip out from Raleigh/Cary if you stop and play Swinging DBs or Buckhorn on way back.

Better than I expected

1    8/23/2010   8/23/2010
Review By: uncjibble
Pros: I went to this course for the first time expected a somewhat rundown course that was poorly designed. I was surprised as it was neither. The holes were fun to play, a birdie is possible on all yet its challenging enough that some trees cost me too many bogeys. The course is well maintained, I ran into the club playing doubles, I wish I had know about it!
Cons: Holes are short. The course uses elevation and trees to make it more challenging, but theres a lot of short holes. It would be nice to see some cement tees. As noted in other reviews theres a hole way too close to the road. I had a drive get away from me and I missed the road by a few feet.
Other Thoughts: This course reminds me a lot of Kentwood in Raleigh. Short holes, but enough chances for you to screw up that it still has some challenge to it. The missing basket has been replaced!

Solid course

5+    5/8/2010   5/9/2010
Review By: kerplunk
Pros: Signs at every tee to indicate hole number and distance. Fairly easy to navigate, especially once you've played it once or twice. Good use of OB makes a fairly easy course more challenging. Despite what a previous reviewer stated, there is a well defined fairway on every hole, some of them are just very narrow as is typical of NC courses. Decent variety of shot types, and multiple "fairways" on many holes. I gave this course an extra .5 on my rating due to the very cool signature hole #15. As previously stated, Fins Firs and Feathers just up the road has great selection. Novice tee indicators. Very friendly and active locals.
Cons: Still majority natural tees, I believe. Scenery is not great as it is in the middle of town, but it is convenient to grab a quick lunch and play a second round. Only one layout, so I could see it getting boring. Hole 13 basket was stolen, but they brought another for the monthly I just played.
Other Thoughts: Saw a 5+ foot black snake near the basket of hole #2, so if you are scared of snakes pay attention. The duck flies at midnight. Go see Chuckster up at Fins Furs and Feathers right up the road, and have him show you the Spike Hyzer Cooler Competition Bag!

Decent Course, but.....

1    4/3/2010   4/3/2010
Review By: rjmimagery1
Pros: Short, concise, & *basically* to the point, course. With the exception of holes 10 & 11, I don't believe there's anything over 280 feet. Great course to work on short/medium range accuracy. Also, as previously stated, hole 15 is quite fun!
Cons: Quite a few: hole 13 is missing (as of 4/3/10), 4-lane road within 30 feet of a fairway, and again a 4-lane road within 30-40 feet of a hole, overall course layout (I haven't played that many courses, but I can still say that this is WAYYY too clustered. As a previous reviewer said, it would be rather hard to play the front nine with someone one hole ahead of you, without hitting them in the head.... Holes 1 through 9 all seem very repetitive. And, I believe it's hole #9 that has ABSOLUTELY no fairway, what-so-ever. If you don't over-hand it & hope for the best, I can't say you'll be anywhere near the vicinity of a decent putt.
Other Thoughts: I'm certainly appreciative of whomever made this course possible, as it is a disc golf course, where there aren't many others...however....the layout could have been drawn up a bit better. Hole 18 is very awkward, hole 15 is REALLY fun.