Emporia, KS
Peter Pan Park - Optimist DGC Share
Uploaded By: scarpfish Hole #11 (Taken 6/2013)

1    3/27/2017   3/28/2017
Review By: david W
Pros: I really enjoyed this course. A lot of variety ranging from short, long, open, wooded, water, O.B., low ceiling, etc.

The unique stone features throughout the park are really interesting, I especially enjoyed hole 8 playing inside of the rock wall.

The tee pads are plenty long (i didn't not feel that they were too narrow).

Tee signs are fantastic and explain everything clearly.

Cons: Course does have some overlapping (not crossing but parallel) fairways that I'm not a fan of from a safety and convenience point of view. When I played, there were very few players on the course but on a busy day or at a tournament this could be a pain.

This course floods and stays wet after rain. The course does not drain well which is unfortunate but not really a design flaw. Its the way it is but still kind of a bummer.

Other Thoughts: This is a really fun course and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a fun and challenging round. Bring a few extra discs for the water holes if you plan on being aggressive.

Hate to see the Pessimist DGC

1    12/31/2016   1/2/2017
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Peter Pan Park is kind of cool, with some unusual features. The Optimist DGC is no disappointment, if you may be skeptical because of the whimsical name.

All 18 holes are decked out with nice signs and good baskets from Dynamic Discs. The tees are concrete, very long but sort of narrow. There are multiple pin locations on most holes, and long tees on a few.

There is not much elevation change, but there is water in play on a few holes, and plenty of trees in this nice city park. The balance of shots is good, and there is usually a clear optimal line defined by trees, with few wide open bombers. Several long holes that will require being consistent with distance and accuracy just to make par.

I guess my favorite hole was 4, a longer one playing along the right side of a bend in the creek, with water behind the long pin. There are trees on both sides, and some limbs above to knock down high throws. Hole 9 is a good mid range line drive and a good birdie opportunity. 10 is short but takes a sort of tricky flexing shot to reach with a RHBH. The direct line on hole 11 cuts across a corner of the pond, but you can play it safe and layup to the right. Wish I would have.

There are not a lot of highs and lows through the course of a round. Very consistent quality and mix of shapes, with water in play every few holes. Not a signature hole that I would pick out and say it rises above the rest, but there are not any I would say are bad holes either.
Cons: Hole one had a large part of a tree fallen in front of the basket that needs to be cut and cleared. Of course it knocked down my approach shot.

Some holes are near other features in the park that draw non disc golfers. I had high schoolers taking portraits near the pond on hole nine when I played. There other unique Peter Pan forts and castles, as well as sidewalks that are semi close to some holes.

Water may take a disc from you here. I lost one on hole 11, and nearly threw another one in on the same hole. What may be NeverNeverLand river is to the right of 15, and 18 in the long is backed by water as well.

Layout requires players to walk across the fairway on hole 4 on the transition between holes 16 and 17. Caught a group playing through and paused on the bridge to stay out of their way.
Other Thoughts: Optimist DGC in Emporia was the second out of three courses I played New Year's Eve 2016. I liked it best of the five courses in the area I played that weekend.

I finished with a 65, taking one penalty stroke for the throw into the pond on 11. My only birdies were on 9 and 10, two of the three shortest holes on the course. While the score was not good, the course is definitely one I would like to play again. I think being familiar with the layout would help me do better next time.

Lose your discs here, get tick bites.

2-4    9/5/2016   9/7/2016
Review By: paulbmann
Pros: Good tee signs.
Cons: Flat terrain, trees close to the baskets (too close), course favors 350' low very accurate drives. Tees are too narrow (only 3 feet wide). Just not much fun.
Other Thoughts: Play Jones East or the Emporia Country Club course, much better.

Peter Pan and the Monkey Island

1    4/29/2016   8/24/2016
Review By: AequitasVeritas
Pros: -Well maintained
-Plenty of parking
-Restrooms
-Excellent baskets
-Great teepads
-Signage is terrific
-Lots of variation on the holes
-It will make you use most, if not all of your shots
Cons: -Water will eat your discs
-Can get rather muddy after a rain
Other Thoughts: This was my second course at GBO this year. It was also my best rated round of the tournament. So, I might be slightly biased about Pan.

I was really looking forward to playing this course from all the review videos and past tournament footage. I was not disappointed! Peter Pan starts off fairly easy looking. That being said, if you are not accurate, you can easily start tacking on bogies instead of birdies or par.

I really liked the variation of the course. You've got your long holes that still make you be accurate. And you have your short putter/mid shots that are dripping in OB. Hole 11 is a tough hole with a narrow strip of land having the basket on it. You can be brave or smart. I love it when a course really tugs at you to go for it.

All in all, Peter Pan was definitely my favorite in Emporia so far. I still have not played all the courses, but I don't think it will fall from the top spot.

What a great balanced course

5+    3/13/2016   3/19/2016
Review By: Chained Evil
Pros: Multiple pin placements.
Several birdieable holes and a Ace Run or two as well.
Many lines to be shaped.
Great shot variety.
Great signage.
Well maintained course, always making improvements.
Tee pads are plenty long and wide allowing for a proper run up.
Great Kiosk with a course map.
Good mix of short, moderate, and longer holes.
Both dog leg L/R holes here.
Tunnel shots, low ceiling shots, and water threat present here.
The flow is logical.
Other amenities in the park like playgrounds, tennis courts, horseshoe pits, etc.
Guarded or protected pins on several holes.
Hole 10 with the basket on the island is definitely a fun risk/reward hole.
There are places to air out drives like on holes 13-15.
The planting of a row of trees mid fairway on hole 15 will make this hole very difficult as the trees mature in the future.
Cons: The walk from 2's basket to 3's tee, 7's basket to 8's tee, 16's basket to 17's basket and 18's basket to the parking lot slows the flow of the round down a bit.
If the course had heavy traffic getting to 6's tee might be and issue as you have to walk down 5's fairway to get to 6's tee.
Hole 10 might see an errant throw hit a parked car along the street on the right hand side. Please pay extra close attention on this hole.
Other Thoughts: There's just something about this course that keeps drawing me back to play it each time I'm in Emporia. I really love the balance on this course. Its more than a grip and rip course and there are just enough technical holes to challenge you but not to frustrate you. Its hard to find many cons about this course, one could list the lack of elevation as a con but that's not really fair because the terrain of the land just doesn't allow for up and down holes.
This course will challenge your overall game from your distance driving skills, to your shot shaping abilities, and being accurate will greatly improve your odds here.
I play this course every time I'm in Emporia because I enjoy the great golf it has to offer. If you are in Emporia or are passing through do yourself a favor and play this outstanding course. Make a day of it and play the Jones E and W course while you're at it. I think you will be pleasantly pleased with what Peter Pan has to offer.

The disc eater

1    9/18/2014   9/18/2014
Review By: renelm
Pros: Well kept.
Very good information sign on every tee and even though there only was one basket per tee (the tee signs pointed at two) it was fine.
The signs next to each tee made them visible from far away.
Good flow for most of the holes - I only needed to check the picture I took of the course overview at tee #1 a few times to find out where to go next.
Not too long holes either for a weak arm like mine.
Very long teepads - I still don't do runups, but I can imagine that some like to complete half a marathon before each throw.
Great layout that in some places forces you to take different shots.
Cons: Hole #11 is a disc eater. I still haven't conquered the forehand, but I do (or rather: did) have a midrange that I can make go right.. which it did.. right into an overhanging tree that sent it straight into the lake. Two kids behind me lost one disc too, and the party behind them lost one as well.. all within 5 minutes. There's probably hundreds of discs in the water right there.
Other disc golfers : apparently there's not much DG-etiquette going on here.. both the kids behind me and the party of 4 behind them just tossed their discs as soon as they could get to it, regardless of other people being in front or not.
Other Thoughts: I managed to loose a newly bought valkyrie in the river at hole 15 too.. I wasn't aware that the river was right there on the right hand side, and my disc flipped on me.. but most players playing stable discs shouldn't have a problem. The ground turns into a very sticky sludge after rain, but not much to do about that.
Please bear i mind that I am complete noob at this game, but I would still recommend this course - new players should just skip hole #11 though as it's simply too scary (really deep and really murky water that you're not allowed to go into anyway).

Great course hidden in small-town Kansas!

2-4    7/12/2013   7/20/2013
Review By: spaceguy87
Pros: Beautiful park with lots of shade.

New tee signs and tee pads installed for worlds 2013.

Lots of parking near hole 1.

Park has some interesting architecture (like "monkey island") that is very unique. This park looks like no other disc golf course you have played in some ways. Doubt it feels redundant even if you are a regular.

I like this course a lot. This is a great beginner course because of the length, but also can challenge a better player to play a solid round and shoot for a great score in the mid-40s (par is 55). Trees, water, and OB lines make this course less simple than it may look when you see the the course on a map or read the hole lengths.

Despite the many short holes, there are some unique challenges like hole 4, which is an interesting par 4 that favors accuracy over the long drive. I think hole 4 might be my favorite hole even though I did not score well on it either time that I played it.

This is not the most challenging course in Emporia, but if you have time to only play one round when you are in town, I would tell you to play here.
Cons: A few holes play very near a lake in the center of the park where locals often hang out on weekends fishing or relaxing. The lake makes an excellent hazard for the holes, but having to worry about pedestrians in your way for the drive is no good.

A bit too short. As others have said, the middle of the course features a lot of short holes back to back. I think holes 5-12 are all clear birdie opportunities. It would be nice if the layout mixed up the hole lengths more. This is a minor issue, as these "easy" holes are still fun to play and have some interesting obstacles in play and angles to shoot. I just like my birdie chances to be throughout a round, not all together.

My least favorite part about this course is the layout of holes 17 and 18. The course flows very well until you finish hole 16, at which point you have to cross the fairway of the only par 4 on the course in order to get to the tee of hole 17. Then hole 17 is a short hole that finishes just in front of the middle of the fairway to hole 18, which means long drives on 17 can interact with players walking hole 18. Then to get from 18s basket back to hold 1, you have to walk across hole 17. I think holes 17 and 18 could be reversed (ie, play the other direction) to improve this flow. They are still fun holes to play.
Other Thoughts: I played Peter Pan twice during my trip to Emporia for the PDGA Amateur World Disc Golf Championships in July 2013. Once as a practice round and then a week later on my final round of the tournament. I shot a 53 in that competitive round and felt like it should have been more like 49. Good players should definitely be shooting in the 40s here, but the course has enough OB to challenge the accuracy of your shots. A good player who isn't focused can easily shoot a bad round and lose a few discs to water and OB.

Because of the frequent use of the park and lake by non-golfer locals, I have been told there is a lot of debris in the water (like old fish hooks or even broken bottles) which means it is probably not safe to go in the water looking for a lost disc, at least not without shoes in (keep in mind there is a "no swimming" sign also).

Great course to play in the summer when it is hot because of all the shade!

So much fun!

1    7/17/2013   7/18/2013
Review By: nat16dick
Pros: -Baskets: Chainstars are in great condition
-Teepads: Adequately sized, good concrete
-Signs: Excellent signs in place from 2013 Am Worlds
-Design: Great mix of short/long, right/left holes
-Flow: Flows very well for the most part, makes sense
-Accessibility: Easy to get to from anywhere in Emporia
-Enjoyment: Very fun course to play, challenging, yet not too difficult to score
-Maintenance: Park is kept up very well
Cons: -Some long walks: Some holes have long walks between, but are marked for the most part
-Repetitive: The middle of the course is lots of short holes that seem the same, with long holes bracketing them.
Other Thoughts: In my opinion, the funnest course in Emporia to play! While it is the easiest to score on, it is certainly not a cakewalk. It rewards accurate drives, and still offers chances to bomb a drive. It does not take a long time to play, and I was left wanting more after it was all said and done. A course you'll want to play over and over again!

If Only I Had Played Better

1    4/11/2013   4/11/2013
Review By: TalbotTrojan
Pros: This is a really fun course that has a great mix of short and long, tight and open, and just about every other kind of mix you can think of. Set in a nice park with other things to do. There are things for just about everyone to do with bathrooms near the baseball fields. The tee pads are consistent. The baskets are consistent. There are many memorable holes as the course makes great use of the trees and water features in the park. There are very few holes that feel exactly the same. There is plenty of challenge even on the shorter holes.
Cons: The pond gets deep very quickly and makes it incredibly difficult to find discs that skip into the water. When the ground is wet it is incredibly muddy, as in you will be looking for places to wipe the mud off your feet. There are a couple of tee pads that are a bit of a walk from the previous basket and would be tough to find unless you know where you are going. There are no tee signs. The walk from 16 to 17 crosses 4's fairway so be sure to look out as you are making this walk.
Other Thoughts: This course was really fun to play and set in a very nice park. There are some dangerous areas near water features that could be potential places for injury. Be careful. Hole one is at the far end of the parking lot near the baseball fields. Hole 17 appears to be the basket that most people use to practice their putting before a round, just be sure to watch out for other players playing the hole. I highly recommend finding a map to bring with you on this one to be sure that you know where you are going next. I was not prepared for the challenge that this course would be, particularly in the wind, be prepared and your experience will be that much better.

Best Emporia Course!

1    3/16/2013   3/16/2013
Review By: jayhawker737
Pros: What a great park! The park felt very old and was very beautiful. It might have been my favorite park to play disc golf in.
There are great variety in shots. There are shorter, more technical holes, and there are long, more open yet still technical, holes. Every hole was something new and kept me incredibly interested throughout the round. This very course is what made the trip from KC to Emporia worth it for me.
The teepads, while skinny, were plenty long.
The "island shot" on 11 is great. Take a disc you dont care much for, and go for it! I did and got a tap in birdie!
The river provides nice scenery.
The layout flows very well and the course is beautiful!
Cons: I really wish I could give this course a 4.5. However, there are no tee signs, but I do see the ground marked up for tee signs. Each pad has the hole number and distance.
There were only 2 instances in which I was confused on the layout. Between hole 16 and the pad for 17, and from hole 5 to hole 6.
Other Thoughts: This is such a great course, that is on the high end of a 4.0. It is a great course for all levels, and seems to be a course to really develop an all-around player.