Warwick, NY

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Spend a Day on Brakewell Steel Course

1    6/22/2019   6/25/2019
Review By: HyooMac
Pros:
+ This is great layout, with two tees and two baskets on every hole that will keep you coming back for more, regardless of your skill level
+ Great use of elevation: a bunch of high tees (#2, #8, #14, #18) and a few intimidating uphills like #5. A special shout out to the placement of the blue basket on #3 (up on top of that cliff) and the silver basket on #4 (death putt, anyone?)
+ I really like it when a layout alternates between wooded and open (not all of one thing, then all of the other). In this way, Brakewell reminds me of other great layouts, like Stafford Woods and Jordan Creek
+ The layout starts with a relatively open first hole. It sort of "eases you in." And it finishes with some real bomber opportunities to try to make up some scoring
+ The course incorporates low, tree-lined rock walls that are part of the property. Most memorable is #16, where you have to choose which side of the wall to throw your tee shot. It bisects the fairway for the entire second half of the hole. This is a really great hole
+ Another seemingly simple - but great - hole is #9. It's open for bombing, but the OB comes most of the way across the fairway, protecting the basket up on top of the hill
Cons:
- As other reviews have noted, the signage is getting a bit beat up with graffiti, and some of the signature steel animals are missing from the Blue tees
* I chose to play Blue to Silver because I had time for only one round (played Wolfe Woods first). If I could do the day over again, I would have played both rounds at Brakewell: first Silver to Silver (to get familiar with the course), then Blue to Sliver
* I love the font on the tee signs. It's a '70's era "futuristic" font that reminds me of roller rinks, "Flashdance" and sci-fi. If they ever update the signs, I really hope they keep the font!
* In summary, this is a great layout that will challenge any level. Even though there's a little bit of disrepair, the course design shines through. I drove almost two hours to play Brakewell, and I'll happily do it again

Many different configurations

1    4/27/2019   4/28/2019
Review By: slippingdiscs
Pros: Scenic course
Different types of landscape throughout course
Different pad to basket configurations (short to short, short to long, etc.)
Close to another course, Wolfe Woods
Bathrooms

Cons: Crowded
Not easy finding some of the next tees
Other Thoughts: This course might be a "4" but I rate it compared to other courses I've played. As a fairly new player, this course has many possibilities to make par. We played on a windy day so with the many open, long holes, it was a bit challenging. I plan to go back and try it again. Hole 11 has a creek - fun but frustrating too. Simple "next tee" signs would be helpful.

Under the Spell of Brakewell

1    12/3/2018   12/13/2018
Review By: Ryal
Pros: + Two tees and two baskets on every single hole.
+ All tee pads are solid, sturdy and level keystone-shaped slabs of concrete with enough space for a wind-up.
+ Long and short baskets are always blue and silver, respectively, so the player can always know at a glance which is their intended target.
+ Passable tee signs show the hole ahead, the distances to both pins and the par.
+ Clean fairways and well-managed rough. Any OB is unmistakably marked with very many vertical white wooden stakes.
+ So many elevation variables. Some are stark and sudden. Others are slow and leisurely. Flat and level holes are in the clear minority here.
+ A nice assortment of wooded, open and hybrid holes at this course.
+ Either one or two brief water hazards, depending on which layout you play.
+ Course is located within a peaceful community park along a .quiet rural road.
Cons: - Some of the tee signs are missing. Holes 2 long and 15 long stand out in my mind.
- Some of the fairways feel too close together like 9+10, 13+14 and 17+18. This risks a (very) slight chance of interfering with another golfer's session or hitting someone.
- Almost none of the holes have next tee signs, and the tape sometimes found atop baskets does not point players in the right direction. This is combated somewhat by the fact that the player usually passes the next hole's tee while they play the current hole, but some more next tee signs would not be a bad thing to add.
Other Thoughts: My favorite hole on this course is tough to say. Just when I come close to deciding, I remember another cool hole that makes me second guess myself. But after thinking for a long time, I'm reasonably certain that hole 14 is my favorite because of its endless downhill slope, bottleneck approach and sneaky stream OB surrounding the pin. It's a lovely hole to play.
My least favorite hole here was easily hole 12. It was flat and pretty plain when contrasted against any other hole on this course.

As for the course as a whole, Brakewell Steel at Warwick Park is an absolute joy to play. Before I go any further, I want to make it known that my first and, so far, only session was played on the blue layout (far tees to far baskets), and I still had a magnificent time.

I chose to make it harder on myself because I like getting the full experience of such a rumored course- especially since I don't live too close to the area. However, any player can select whichever difficulty they like thanks to the two tees and two pins from 1 to 18. This ensures that golfers of all levels can enjoy a session here, which is a positive thing for the sport. Tremendous kudos to the designers.

Brakewell will not go easy on you, though. All players will encounter some tricky elevation changes and more than a few trying tree tunnels- sometimes both. A stand-out example in my mind is hole five. The player tees off in an open field right towards a steep uphill tunnel! Variety like this is what I think most disc golfers hunger for.

And there is certainly no shortage of variety here. Brakewell has some lengthy open holes for the power throwers and some dense tree-dodging for the strategists Plus, many holes can be described as having a discernible beginning, middle and end. Hole 2long illustrates this perfectly. The player tees off through a downhill tunnel shot for the beginning. The middle has the player take a sharp right through a brief clearing. The ending concludes uphill among some guardian trees, which will deflect your putt back downhill if you aren't careful. Playing here almost feels like a pioneering adventure despite the baseball fields, chain link fences and roads on the outskirts.

On the downside, I do have to say that I did get somewhat lost once or twice. After hole two, for example, I had no idea where to go next because there was no 'next tee' sign and the tee pad was missing its sign too, which diminished the fun ever so slightly. I did eventually find hole 3, though. (For the record, it is towards the road beyond the equipment garage.) No matter how small or large a course is, I think that 'next tee' signs are the third most important thing to a course following tees and baskets, naturally. So, that in combination with the other cons that I listed above mean that I can't bring myself to award that coveted 5/5. However, this course definitely comes the closest out of all the courses that I have played so far!

As a side note, other parkgoers can occasionally walk obliviously across your intended flight path as they explore the park and/or walk their dog. This isn't a hit against the course, but it is something to keep in mind as you throw.

Bottom line: Whether you are new to the sport, have been playing for a year or two or are a seasoned veteran, I cannot recommend Brakewell enough. You've got four levels of difficulty, plenty of environment variables to deal with, some devious OB to challenge, and fairways that run the gamut from tight wooded tunnels to free open fields. Pack a snack and have a breakthrough round at Brakewell.

Warwick Park

5+    7/11/2018   7/11/2018
Review By: MikeSKY
This review was updated on 8/2/2018
Pros: Gorgeous course with perfect amount of wooded and open holes and a creek through it as well. Amazing layout. There is actually four different option on this course 2 Tees and 2 Baskets for each so choose what suits you best. Excellently maintained. All around top notch course.
Cons: If this is your first time going there the only thing that can be improved is the signs which was once amazing but has deteriorated over time and can use some fixing. But even so its not difficult to find your way around.
Other Thoughts: Good luck, go for it! So far in my experience this is the best course I have been too.

Yes, You Want to Play Here!

2-4    11/5/2016   11/9/2016
Review By: PuzzledGuy
Pros: Made a road trip to play this course for the first time, and so glad I did. We played three of the four possible layouts (all but blue/blue).

This is a beautiful park and location. The course plays through woods, across fields, and includes a elevation changes and some water.

I was really impressed by the various tee and basket placements. It creates a surprising amount of variety in a single course.

Signage is very good (there were one or two that weren't quite right, but all tees had something).

Lots of benches and trash cans on the course. Also a few restroom facilities.

Great local disc golf community - players welcomed us and gave advice about the local courses, places to eat, etc.
Cons: Cons are hard to come by - it would have been helpful to have pointers to the next tee at the baskets, but that wasn't a problem after we played the first round.

The only other con is that it's four and half hours from Rochester!
Other Thoughts: Playing the silver tees/silver baskets (shortest possible layout) was a great way to learn the course. I think the blue tees/silver baskets was my favorite layout.

Wolfe Woods is another disc golf course right off hole 15. It's a short, technical course also worth playing. The Oasis is across the street and is also fun to play.

Easy to contact the local Skylands Flying Disc Club group on Facebook to get more info and a possible guide. Grab lunch at the Edenville Deli - a great little disc golfer friendly lunch spot just a few minutes down the road.

Double the Fun!

1    9/27/2016   11/5/2016
Review By: Discette
Pros:
This is a beautiful park and a very scenic disc golf course. Warwick offers a variety of shots from wooded to wide open. It also has a lot of elevation in play. I played this course as part of a trip covering 12 states in 12 days. This was the only course I played in New York.

Double the Fun!
Warwick has two sets of tee on every hole as well as two different targets on every single hole. Having two sets of baskets installed on a course at the same time is not very common in the Midwest or the Western US. This trip to New England was the first time I ever played a course with two targets. By the end of my trip, I played 6 different courses with dual targets. This is one of the better two target courses I played on my 12 states in 12 days road trip.

Two Targets
The two targets and two tees means this course has an endless number of possibilites for play. It appears the Silver Tees to the Silver baskets may have been the original design. I don't know that, it is just the way the course played. Blue tees to Silver baskets seemed the most straightforward and this is the layout I (mostly) played. I played a few blue targets that looked more fun and interesting than the silver targets. Some of the target chains were rusting.

Two Tees
All the tees were concrete and in good conition. Both sets of tees have complete tee signs showing the options from that tee. The blue tee signs also had "animals" welded on the top so they were easier to spot in the distance.

Amenities
Two sets of concrete tees with accurate signs on every tee. There were benches on many holes and lots of trashcans throughout the course.

Upkeep
There was a lot of graffitti on the signs and some of the baskets are showing their age. This course is dated and faded.

Navigation
This is a very easy course to navigate. There were tee signs on every hole and the "animals" on the blue tee signs make it easy to see where to go next.

Kids, Carts and Strollers
This course can handle kids, carts and strollers. There may be a few holes where the going gets rough. However the course is so long and drawn out a cart would be welcome. As I recall, there was only one restroom near tee 17 (but not sure.) Even though it is long, the terrain isn't that tough, so kids can walk along. You could cut out after Hole 7 and 13 as the next tees are kind of close to the parking lot.

All 18 in a row
Once you tee off on Hole 1 you don't get back to the parking area until Hole 18. That being said, it is easy enough to make a quick trip to the car after playing the Blue pin on Hole 7 before heading back up to the 8 tee. It would also be possible to make a quick run over to the parking area from the tee on Blue 14 or Blue 16.

Cons:

Faded and Dated
The only con is that this course is faded and dated. I can see that at one time, this course was a shining jewel. However, the luster has diminished. The rusted tee signs and targets have seen better days.
Not my Top 25
While this course is a top 25 course for DGCR, it would not make my top 25. I guess I was expecting more from a DGCR Top 25 course. While it was a beautiful park and I enjoyed the variety, there was nothing spectacular about the layout of this course or the challenge. This course may have been worthy of a 5 rating at one time, it has now rusted and faded to a 4.

Other

I would definitely like to come back here to play both Silver and Blue separately as well as the Wolfe Woods course on site.

Heaven on Earth

5+    3/21/2015   8/19/2016
Review By: iHitTree
Pros: I'll spare the hole to hole detail and say this right away: PLAY HERE. The course is designed and maintained by a team of people including one of the best players in the world, Steve Brinster, and one of the original disc golfers Dan Doyle, among numerous other people that make this place great. First off, you have 4 options on every hole, leaving you infinite layouts to play. There are pavilions and bathrooms, great tee pads and signs, ample parking, and most of what you hope to find at a top course. My favorite holes include hole 2 blue/blue (nice par 4 that more or less requires a good placement turnover downhill drive, then the entire hole redirects almost backwards for a tough tunnel approach uphill), hole 8 blue/blue (another nice horseshoe type hole with another placement turnover to get out of the woods tunnel, then an uphill approach to a basket with a menacing OB peninsula and trees in front of it), hole 14 silver/blue (signature hole, great downhill bomb through a narrow-ish tree gap with plenty of trees and a creek protecting the basket, great par 4), hole 17 blue/blue (big open crushes, long open par 4 with a protected basket and OB on the right), and finally hole 18 blue/blue (massive par 5, awesome placement tunnel shot off the tee, nice roller opportunity for 2nd shot to get near silver basket, then a big left to right throw over the OB/across road to try to get your birdie).
Cons: I'm sorry, I just don't have any cons. Sometimes the bathroom is locked. That's the best I got.
Other Thoughts: This is one of my favorite courses, and being from Philadelphia area, I wish I could get here more, as it's about 2.5 to 3 hours from me. The locals that play there are all awesome guys and gals, and I can't say enough positive about this place. Even the surrounding area/region is the beautiful Skylands mountain area with some breathtaking views.

Wowee!

2-4    5/29/2015   6/22/2015
Review By: jeditden
Pros: -Amazing variety of holes. With beautifully made change ups. Hole 1 nice and open into a sweet high elevation Hole 2 canopy tree shot. It's got it all
-2 concrete tee pads, as well as 2 baskets on almost every hole. Take note of that. Not just locations, but baskets. Meaning no waiting for your preferred setup. Yeah!
-Very well maintained grounds. I felt like I was playing ball golf at times.
-Hole's 8 and 13 were two of my favorite. Loved the two pine trees flanking the hole on 13. Should be a postcard from the tee box, ha.
-Big park with lot's of parking and bathroom facilites.
Cons: -Not much that I can think of really. I'm originally from the area, but didn't discover the sport until I moved to the mecca of disc golf in NC. But no course I have played can come close to this one. I get angry if I come up to visit and it's too cold or rainy to play...
-It's the only course really around (Unless you count Wolfe Woods, which is in the same park, but is much more wooded) so I imagine it'd get busy if you came on weekends, which I have avoided so far.
-Some of the tee signs are starting to show some wear and it can be a tad difficult to find the next hole without a map, but that's because it's such a large course.
Other Thoughts: -Not much else to say. It's in the town of Warwick, which if you don't know is pretty high $$$, so that probably explains why this course is so nice. But the small amount of players I have encountered there have
been super nice and friendly.
-Get out there and play. I wish I knew about this place before I left NY.
Lousy stinking NC (I kid, I have some great courses down here.)

Interesting and Well Maintained.

2-4    5/16/2015   5/28/2015
Review By: Lance Philip
Pros: Clean and well maintained. All tee box signs are in place. There is a great variety in hole types. The baskets are all in great shape. Great for all skill levels.
Cons: There are some steep elevations that are a bit challenging to climb and descend if you are not sure footed. There really needs to be signs at the end of holes to guide you to the next tee.
Other Thoughts: I really love this course. It's clean, well maintained and offers a nice variety of holes. There are some tough elevations to climb on the front 9 but levels out on the back 9. This course provides enough of a challenge to keep it interesting every time it's played.

Is there a better course?

1    7/13/2014   3/20/2015
Review By: Disc Golf Chuck
Pros: This course has it all. I felt like I was at a country club as I played the beautiful holes that this course offers. This is the best course I've played in the three years I've been playing.
The two tees and two baskets on every hole makes this course suitable for the beginner, the intermediate, and the advanced player. There are four separate, and permanent, layouts because of the two tee pads and two baskets on every hole.
The variety of the holes was excellent. There were some tighter, wooded holes, some short holes, and some open holes that allowed you to really test out your arm. Just about every shot was needed to play this course.
The signage was very good and informative.
The course was very clean and the beauty stunning.
A few locals saw that we were first-timers, gave us tips, and were very friendly.
The creek, large trees, squirrel, and other natural habitat just added to the experience.
The park has a pavilion, ample parking, and restrooms. The tees and baskets are in fine shape.
There is some elevation on many of the holes and the pin placements are done well to allow for enjoyment as well as difficulty and challenge.

Cons: Some may consider the remote location to be a con, but I would drive nearly two hours again to play this course.
The course is a bit on the long side and took some time to play. This isn't the course for you if you want to play a quick round. But when you're in these surroundings, you want to take your time, soak it in, and enjoy every minute. There is no need to rush.
Other Thoughts: I played the silver tee pads to the blue baskets while my 12-year-old son played the silver tees and silver baskets. The walking for my son was a bit much, but he also enjoyed this course.
Being from Arizona and in New York for two weeks, I had to play this course. It was well worth the trip...the 2,500 mile trip from Arizona as well as the 1 hour and 45 minute drive from where I was visiting in upstate New York.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7