Rainbow City, AL
Hole #3 Approach

A good mixture of Fun and Challenge

1    12/31/2016   2/2/2017
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (3.236 Rating) A fairly short and wooded layout.
- UNIQUENESS - Although only a par 55 course, Rainbow City offers just about has all the hole type layout elements. There are water elements in play of both the pond and creek variety. The layout also features pocket shots, window shots, tunnel fairways, ace runs, and bomb it opportunities. Hole (3) specifically stands out. A tempting ace run basket that can easily find one of the many winding creek beds surrounding the pin. If I recall correctly, I think a saw 4 small bridges on just this one hole.
- SHOT SELECTION - I probably played 70% backhand and the rest flicks. Some drives need accuracy and at a variety of angles. Also, some shots will need to be bombed, and some need both precision and length (hole 11 pro tee)
- CHARACTER - There is some seating. Most of the tees are shaded well and there are two tees for pros and ams at all the holes. There are some trash cans and a few bag holders. (see also tee pad, shelter and disc retriever for more character items)
- TEE PADS - Adequately sized concrete tee pads that are in good shape. There should be no footing issues on a typical day.
- SHELTER - An amazingly large well built shelter with plenty of picnic tables. It's located at the junction of tees 1 and 10, and basket 9 and 18, the ideal location.
- CHILL AREAS - Lots of secluded areas and there are benches at several holes to take a break at.
- DISC RETRIEVER - There is a homemade PCV pipe retriever located at the pond. Considering that basket 1 and 18 are within 20 feet of the pond, I'm sure it gets a bunch of use.
- SPACING - Above average, I never ended up in another fairway on my visit.
- NATURAL BEAUTY - The raw beauty is above average. The creek that runs through the layout is wide enough to affect your shot thought process, but narrow and shallow enough to not have to worry about losing your disc. The way the creek meanders gracefully adds to the disc golf experience.
- QUICK PLAY - A fairly quick play, a quick single should be able to complete a full (18) in about an hour. I figure a regular Group of 4 probably would finish in about two hours.
- SKILL LEVEL FRIENDLY - due to the duel pads, this course is very skill level friendly. I brought my father-in-law with me on only his second outing. He had a blast and had a few runs for birdie from the short tees.
Cons: The biggest issue with Rainbow City is the navigation..
- NAVIGATION - Coming here without the DGCR map on your phone is not a good idea. The hole signage is below average, and I didn't see a course map. In addition, the DGCR map is a bit outdated. There appears to be additional pin placements at each hole and the DGCR hole data for these additional basket locations is missing.
- HOLE SIGNAGE - It's limited to just a post and a number and some of the posts are falling apart as well. The course could really benefit by updating these.
- FORGIVENESS - Lots of tunnel plays on this course. Most players will eventually with ping a tree and get an unfavorable kick where making bogie will become your goal. A few shots have lines so narrow that being off your mark by a couple feet is sometimes not good enough. In addition, I'm sure that the creek becomes exponentially more hazardous with a good rain soaking.
- ELEVATION - The course is about as flat as they come. The course elevation changes by maybe 10 feet along the entire layout.
- LAYOUT - Hole 1 is not located by parking and neither is 18. It pretty much starts out in the middle of the park. My group started on 16, I wonder if some locals due the same.
Other Thoughts: Rainbow City reminded me a little bit of my first home course (Wells branch DGC, Austin TX) Rainbow City is and enjoyable mixture of fun, challenge and beauty.

Fun and well done

1    12/25/2016   12/26/2016
Review By: TheRealRedRoach
Pros: Challenging course with two tee box options on most holes. We played on Christmas day so there wasn't much foliage I could see were it would be much more challenging and/or frustrating in the spring or summer. It's obvious the local disk golf club (the aptly named woodpeckers ha ha!) really cares about this course. Lots of white oaks and my driver was knocking them all afternoon. It was an artificial "Yella hammer". Quality Alabama disc golf for sure. Watch out for live traps!

Dog friendly. Port o potty in the lot.
Cons: Finding the first tee box was a little difficult. It's not newbie friendly but you can figure it out and the locals were gracious and helpful.
Other Thoughts: Go play it!

Really fun park to play...when it hasnt rained

5+    11/7/2014   5/7/2015
Review By: AlphaGenerator
Pros: I love the varied shot selection that the wooded fairways make you throw. Must learn how to shape your shots to score well.
Cons: signage leaves a bit to the imagination in spots. No restroom on site. Have to throw over water on hole 18...pavilion roof is too convenient for discs to land on.

The ground doesn't absorb rainfall very well, so the course can be muddy at times.
Other Thoughts: Its a really fun course and I would recommend stopping, if you are traveling through.

Soggy Bottom, Boyz?

2-4    12/26/2013   12/26/2013
Review By: sisyphus
Pros: Rainbow City is an 18-hole course with a decent amount of challenge for the Rec to Intermediate disc golfer who has some control in the woods. Almost every hole has two decent-sized concrete tee pads and a DGA basket. I discovered, playing here for the first time, that the distances listed on DGCR were for basket positions that were, as of this writing, marked by PVC posts, and that the new basket positions are usually at least 50 feet further and often MUCH trickier. This provides the course with short and long tees and A and B pin positions for four different configurations (I played short tees to long pins). The disc golf course mostly occupies its own space in the woods beyond the parking lot in a nice community park with all the amenities (shelters, walking path around the perimeter, and sports fields in the front of the park).
Shot varieties included holes that faded right and left, sometimes incorporating the lake and often the winding creekbeds throughout. For most players, the signature hole here has to be #18, with a 200 foot water carry required off the short tee, but for me it has to be hole #3, with its pin position on a true island (peninsula), the basket being no more than 15 feet from the OB creek to the front AND 10 feet behind. They have installed a set of boards just behind the basket if you miss while running for the ace. I like the hole because I walked up to check out the "green" and wasn't sure I wanted to throw, risking having to fish my disc out of the cold (late December) water. I'm glad I decided to go for it (YOLO) - throwing my Buzz on a fade line, resulting in my first ace in six months!
Overall, the course has variety and is a fun stop if you're traveling I-59, and I'm sure the local community enjoys the course tremendously.
Cons: We once went to the amusement park in Hershey, Pennsylvania, and saw a caution sign saying "You WILL get wet". Unless it's been dry for a looong time, there are eight to ten holes here which should bear that same warning. The water pools in marshy flats on more than half of the holes. About a third of the holes incorporate a tricky pin position very close to the six to ten foot wide creek, and three holes (1, 17, 18) give you a real chance to put one in the lake.
Speaking of #18, even though it's a signature hole, the long hyzer line (RHBH) flies right at the shelter by the lake (when I clipped the tree there, I wound up putting through the shelter - glad it was empty).
There are times when people walking the path meander into the inviting woods of the course near your lines of flight, so you may have to use caution (or wait).
The tee posts (by the short tees only) have only the hole number and no further information. The baskets are not, however, numbered at all. Although the course has many nice bridges, there needs to be one on hole #6. You currently need to circle around to the left, and double back unless by some chance you are athletic enough to leap the creek. The hyzer line for hole #7 fades directly over the long #8 tee.
Although some of the long tees appear to have benches, I don't remember seeing any by the short tees. I only saw two trash barrels along the length of the course. My overall takeaway from the course was that it's fun, but soggy.
Other Thoughts: I'd like to see a full set of measurements and tee signs on this course, which I'm sure would raise most folks' ratings here. Oh, and if I didn't mention it already, I aced hole #3! :) So. I am NOT a man of constant sorrow.

Very Nice course!

2-4    11/30/2012   1/25/2013
Review By: weatherbill
Pros: distances are short, which is great for chances of an Ace. Been playing since the 90s and tired of courses with long holes that dont give ya a chance for the ace, but this course is the bomb for that! They say this course is heavily wooded.... not at all. this is a sparsely wooded course..... I hate courses that are heavily wooded and too hilly. This course is a very excellent landscape IMO.
Cons: missing a basket at one of the holes
Other Thoughts: I love this course alot because of its short distances. This weighs heavily in my rating of courses because when you've had a few Aces, you want more and this course gives me that chance.

Great course if it hasnt rained in 3 days

5+    1/1/2013   1/8/2013
Review By: EsquireDyer
Pros: The small creek winding through the course makes for interesting shot decisions. The short course has a few open area, but most of the shots run through at least some trees to a great deal of trees making for varied play.
Cons: One hole has been missing its basket now for months. When it rains the entire course turns into a flooded muddy mess and the creek becomes so swift that any disc thrown near it is gone instantly.
Other Thoughts: Other then hole 18 the course could be used to teach others the basics of disc golf. Some of the holes are very straight forward and good for teaching kids or those new to the sport.

Rainbow city

5+    7/29/2012   8/2/2012
Review By: skiper220
Pros: a very beautiful course with a trails a pond, a stream. It has duel tee boxes maintained well. provides interesting shots through trees
Cons: I find the baskets a little close to the next tee and there is a walking trail in the sports complex (but does not cross between the tee and basket). needs more trash cans.
Other Thoughts: I am very happy to see a disc golf course in my home town and plan to play it very often, its not perfect but enjoyable to play. This course is not about throwing the disc a s far as you can but a skilled well placed throw with the exception of a few wholes. All in all its a good course.

bring your patience cap and dont wear good shoes.

5+    12/28/2011   12/29/2011
Review By: frogtown_corey
Pros: Definately the most challenging place in the area. Multiple tee and pin placements means it changes up frequently. benches, trash cans and places to hang your bag on every hole.
Cons: lots of turning creeks on most of the course you will most likely be getting wet. Never ever play here within a week after heavy rainfall you will probably get trench foot. Lots of trees to hit and piss you off.
Other Thoughts: Ive had great rounds here and some crappy ones . always remember its just a game and dont let this place get to you.

Good wooded course

1    12/24/2011   12/27/2011
Review By: JSurmann
Pros: This mostly wooded course offers a nice flow through mature trees with a small stream winding through many fairways, making for many obstacles and out of bounds. Everything on this course seems to be in great shape and the baskets looked to be maybe 2-3 years old tops and all were secure in the ground.

Water comes into play on maybe 8 holes but only 1 & 18 where you throw near or over a pond respectively is where you are likely to lose plastic. The stream winds across and sometimes parallel with the fairways but is pretty small (2-3' across, 6"-2' deep) so any shots that go into the stream are easily recovered.

Two regular sized cement tee pads are at each hole with the Hole number on a short post by the small pads. I played one from each and for the most part, the long tees varied from the short tees, not only by distance but the lines changed as well.

This is more of a course where accuracy is more important than distance, even though there are a few open holes that lets you air them out.

Parking lot is huge and there are baseball fields and a playground there as well. A port-a-potty is in the parking lot too. A paved walking trail goes around the course.
Cons: Only a few minor things that I see could use some improvement. Tee signs would be nice because on certain holes, you can't see the pin. Also, arrows on the basket that point you in the direction of the next tee would be helpful.

The course was quite muddy when we were there even through it hadn't rained in a few days. I would recommend bringing a change of shoes and socks if it recently rained.
Other Thoughts: I had a hard time finding Tee 1 so I started on 13. Based on other reviews, I was looking for a shed, and those were by the ball fields. So, from the gravel parking lot, look into the woods for a large brown, metal-roofed pavilion. There is also a pond there. Tee 1 is to the right of the pond and pavilion.

This is definitely a unique course and I had a lot of fun playing it. I would not hesitate to stop here on a road trip and play it again. It is about 10 minutes off of the highway. It is fairly beginner friendly but this is more of an intermediate level course.

Very enjoyable

1    9/2/2010   9/13/2010
Review By: livinitupzzz
This review was updated on 4/10/2012
Pros: Fun, enjoyable, easy stroll.
Short even for a beginner like myself (playing 4-5 months)
Most holes are easy pars.
First 13-14 holes were east to navigate I think it's the transition from 14-15 that is a little tricky.
Amateur tees are probably best for young kids in most situations.
Surprisingly- a very pretty course. Wasn't expecting it when I drove up.
Not busy.
Nice and New.
Well Manicured.
Cons: Didn't feel very challenged.
Wouldn't be a problem next time but there are a few holes that water (winding stream) comes into play that you can't really tell it from the tee box.
Took me a while to find the start of the course.
Other Thoughts: Hole 1 starts right around the shed and 18 ends there as well.