Roan Mountain, TN
Roan Mountain DGC Share
Uploaded By: Mike C Hole #3 (Taken 5/2017)
-- / 226ft.   -- / 240ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #3 Long Tee

Roan Empty Field

1    4/15/2017   4/16/2017
Review By: jjtwinnova
Pros: Well, it's a course... kindof.
Here I am, driving back from Sugaree, an absolutely fantastic gem not far from here, when out of the corner of my eye, I spot what looks like a disc golf basket. I couldn't remember seeing another course worth hitting in the area, but when I see a course on the side of a road, I guess I'll play. I look to DGCR, and decide, why not? And play it as fast as possible.

To my surprise, this is definitely not a putter only course, which is my main reason for not giving it less than what I did. There were a few holes longer than 300 feet, giving me an opportunity to throw a driver, especially since there wasn't anything to hit with the disc.

It's not everyday you see concrete teepads at a 9 hole course in the middle of nowhere, but each hole had two! They were nice too. A little short, but doable. I've seen worse on 5 star courses.

The teesigns had distances, par, and an arrow pointing to the basket. No map though, but you could always see the basket.

Every hole was accessible for a new player, a toddler, an infant, even your 127 year old great-grandmother! However, I think this course would be fun to play with a Discraft mini buzzz chally undertaker or nuke.

Baskets were older, but in fine shape. Caught well.
Cons: Roan Mountain DGC is not a mountain at all. Not even a hill. It's a large grass field. With baskets. And concrete slabs.

The holes had no variety other than distance at all. All flat, wide open shots. You can't really do anything with it. It's kind of sad.

For me, navigation was difficult-ish. All the teepads said the hole and distance, but since they were all really close together, I walked to the wrong tee a few times. Also, with no map, I threw to the wrong basket because, as said before, everything is close together.

Pars were off, a 400 foot open all the way par 5? Nah...

It's not like the course was super crowded, or super muddy, or impossible to navigate, it just shouldn't be there. No real chance to show creative design, or even a fairway. It was just, open.
Other Thoughts: I was glad to throw discs in an open field after navigating the woods and hills at Sugaree. However, it shouldn't have been here. There are so many fantastic courses within a 2 hour drive that playing here for fun would not be smart. It's a nice 20-30 minute pitstop if you are just driving through, but if you have time, please play one of the more appreciated courses. Please.

TL;DR- Open field, no variety, boring. Go somewhere else.

1    6/18/2009   5/19/2010
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: Roan Mountain is a nice, well-kept 9-hole course in a small park right off the highway. There are concrete tees, excellent signs, and solid baskets. (However, the previous reviewer has mentioned some vandalism of the signs that occurred just after I played it.) The course offers 2 sets of tees (but these are basically a long and a short, they do not provide and alternate angles to the hole.)

The course has 7 holes that are very flat, 1 steep uphill hole that is challenging, and 1 elevated tee back downhill that is fun to air one out on. There is a small river along 8 and 9, which adds beauty without being too much of a hazard.

This is an excellent course for beginners, families, or if want to have a quick, relaxing round with the chance to score very low. It is relatively open and mowed with a handful of trees as obstacles, so there is little chance to lose a disc.
Cons: This course will be really simple for most experienced players and pros as there are few hazards or obstacles. The alternate tees are nice, but they only add a little length, not any other challenge.
Other Thoughts: This is not a bad course, I enjoyed playing it despite its simplicity. There was nobody else playing it that day making for a nice peaceful round. It is perfect for beginner level players. However, it is probably not worth the drive from Kingsport which does have some excellent courses. If you are driving by or are in the area then go ahead and check it out.

Course has been vandalized

1    7/11/2009   8/28/2009
Review By: JimDK27
Pros: Good tee pads, really flat and open
Cons: Some of the signs are unreadable now due to vandalism, it took me a while to figure out which hole was hole number 1
Other Thoughts: I didn't get to play the back nine because it started to rain, but I will try to go back and play it again.

Where Mountain Means Flat

2-4    7/1/2009   7/3/2009
Review By: swatso
Pros:
Two tee positions per hole, both with very nice signs, long-n-wide concrete teepads, many with benches.

Minimal chance to lose a disc - unless you overthrow #6 to the right, which I did. :-(
Cons:
Singe basket position, almost completely flat.

Most alternate tee positions merely added distance because, other than a row of trees on #2 and a couple large but mostly easily avoidable large trees on #3-4, the course is WIDE open.
Average distance is 250' from the shorts, 325' from the longs.

Beginner friendly course in a nice location.