Kansas City, KS
Rosedale Park - Top Share
Uploaded By: Wesdrummer Hole #13 (Taken 4/2012)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Don't Stop 'Til You Reach the Top

1    2/14/2018   2/20/2018
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: I played Rosedale Down Under last year, and being in the same park as the Top course will go as a major pro. Two great courses in one stop. The Top course is wonderful and deserves the nice rating it has.

It is par 54. The more open holes often have some extra length, while the shorter holes involve steering your drives around trees. There are holes that can yield birdies, and holes that take a well placed second shot to have a good chance at making par. Elevation changes are not usually drastic, but there are a couple of good size hills. Trees are not as prevalent as Down Under, but the woods are heavy enough in places to create fairly tight lines along the fairways.

The tee pads are concrete and oversized, very roomy. There are tee signs, and good baskets. Course layout makes great use of the available park space.

My favorite holes are 3, 5, and most of all 14. 3 is the first dip into the woods, with a pin tucked away on the right side at the end of a fairway lined with trees on each side. 5 features a low area between the tee and the basket, with clusters of trees along the fairway and near the pin. I did get a great drive and made a birdie on this one. 14 is the largest downhill run, and has a many mature trees with branches reaching out from all sides trying to knock down disc. If you make it to the flat at the bottom of the hill you are in good position for the approach, but getting to the pin from the tee takes a monster drive.
Cons: After hole 3 the path doubles back along the left side of the fairway. The path is fairly well worn, but it took me a minute to make sure I was going the right way. There are other places where the transitions cross roads. A copy of the map may prove to be useful.

The course was full of disc golfers when I visited, as it was one of the first good weather days of the year. Use caution not to throw toward others on the fairway ahead of you. I came a little close to the group ahead of me on hole 14, and they let me hear about it. Rightfully so, as I should know better. I really got more distance than I expected on my drive, and it skipped to a stop about twenty feet away from one of them. I apologize again if they happen to read this review.
Other Thoughts: The Top of Rosedale Park is a lot of fun. If the drives are good and the putts are falling, you may even get under par. It takes consistent shot making to get there. Wind can complicate things on many of the open holes.

I shot a 55 to finish at one over par. That is not bad for me, especially on my first round at this course. I did miss a couple of makable putts. Birdies on hole 5 and 11 were outweighed by the bogies on holes 2, 15, and 16.

If you spend a few days around KC checking out the disc golf scene, Rosedale should be near the top of the list for sure. Both courses would easily be in my top 10 for the area.

Rosedale Top Windy December Day

1    12/15/2017   12/15/2017
Review By: Jjburleson
Pros: His is my first play through of this course and it wasn't too bad. All of the tee pads were concrete and there was hole signage at each tee pad to show the hole shape and each basket placement. Most holes had at least 3-4 basket placements which is great but sometime hard to see where the basket is. This may be because I'm playing in December and everything is dead.

I like that on most of the holes even if your tee shot is a little far left or right, typically your second shot will still be an ok setup shot to get you close for a par. Something I haven't seen at any other disc golf course is large colored flags on top of the basket with the hole number to help find the baskets. Another good thing is that you can almost see all of the baskets from the tee pads which makes it clear where you're supposed to shoot.

Lots of mature trees that make for fun technical shots throughout the course. Good baskets and having multiple placements makes for a fun course to play more than once.
Cons: I found that there is quite a lot of rocks throughout the fairways and greens which can really eat up some discs if you were to play this course regularly. I wish there were more hazards other than mature trees to help with more difficult tee shots. I haven't played Rosedale under but I've heard that it is a little more difficult with window shots. I was hoping to get a little of that on Rosedale top other than hole 16 which is very cool and has you tee off having to split a medium ceiling/medium window tree gap to get to the basket.

I wish that there was signage at the end of each hole to help guide you to the next as it was hard for me to navigate sometimes. Luckily the locals are nice and had one play through with me to help guide me through.

I was told that this is a good course during the day but it is a sketchy place during the evening and night and would not really want to go over there after 5pm probably.
Other Thoughts: Overall this course seems to be an all around well set course that is mostly open with lots of big trees and multiple basket locations. Also, this park has a good amount of parking, porta-pottys (which is better than no bathrooms), tennis courts, baseball fields and other attractions beyond a decent disc golf course. I will be coming back to play this course again in 2018 when it gets warmer for sure.

Solid course very enjoyable

5+    4/13/2017   4/13/2017
Review By: ChadNewman
Pros: Every tee has a nice tee pad all had some kind of seating around and a trash can.

Bathrooms close by, along with a shelter not far from the first hole and a number of benches by the first pin, which is awesome if you are meeting up with a group.

Nice signage showing the multiple pin locations, normally 3 different placements, didn't have the ability to show current placement.

The majority of shots are going to be the most challenging and you can tackle the shots in a variety of way. The front nine, will have many wide open shots, not HUGE holes, but decent. Being a LHBH player, the back nine is perfect of my game, as the majority of holes have a sit to the right from the tee.

In the past two years, the course has seen some changes in flow (between 9 and 10) and trees have been planted on 10 making it a very good looking hole.

I wouldn't say there is a staple hole, but this course is fantastic for beginners.
Cons: Course is at a public park that has other users which makes it very challenging to find good parking. They only have two small lots and if there are softball or kickball games those will fill up very quickly. None of the holes really bring the fields into play, so you shouldn't have anyone walking through fairways.
Other Thoughts: Decent course, not the best area, but the local disc golf club is very good at keep the course up to date.

This is one of the courses that rotates through my course selection I really enjoy the course to practice different kind of shots for more challenging courses.

Nice improvements up top

1    12/27/2016   1/4/2017
Review By: Cerealman
Pros: The top course at Rosedale Park offers a contrasting and challenging complement to its Down Under counterpart. While the Down Under course features tight lines and technical challenges, the Top course provides ample opportunities to "let 'em rip."

Some of the best signage I've ever seen. The map at each teepad is colorful and detailed (though it wasn't always clear which pin position was being used).

An ever-changing course. Each hole has multiple possibilities for pin locations - for example, Hole #8 boasted SEVEN possible spots for the basket. In fact, the basket to Hole #6 was uprooted and moved by a gentleman in a pickup truck as my playing partner and I stood on the teepad, instantly making the hole longer.

The top course also offers an excellent opportunity for beginner and intermediate players to work on their accuracy and upshots/long putts. Precise driving will be required to garner many birdies.
Cons: Two of the holes (Hole #3 and #15) require walking back down the fairway after completing the hole. These holes could result in some congestion if the course is crowded.

A lack of variety in spots. While the back nine offers some gratifying elevation changes, the front nine is mainly flat with not much variance in hole distance.
Other Thoughts: The photos (from 2009) need updating. Several holes appeared to have been recently changed, including a modification on the back nine that resulted in much better flow and hole design.

The top course at Rosedale is an enjoyable challenge that is easy to traverse and less susceptible to previous precipitation. Combining the Top course with the Down Under course will result in a diverse and pleasurable 36-hole experience.

Rosedale Top

1    12/27/2016   12/27/2016
Review By: JohnDeere
Pros: Long Teepads
Good Sinage
Lots of locals to help
Dynamic Discs down the street
Lost disc return
Cool drop offs for challenging holes
Cons: Poor navigation (hole 3) and others
Lots of rocks for possible chunks taken out of cheap discs
Personal preference but the baskets don't catch well for my spin putt
Other Thoughts: Good course, I perfer Water Works though
Needs to be longer with par 4s

Brisk morning round.

1    1/5/2016   1/27/2016
Review By: RippH
Pros: Nicely laid out course. Good change of hole length and some elevation change. The baskets are moved frequently. The park is mowed and taken care of.
Cons: There are a couple huge drop offs just past the baskets on the first four holes.
Other Thoughts: We've played it once but we'd like to go back again. Hopefully when it's warmer out.

Pin positions galore.

1    7/25/2014   8/6/2014
Review By: prerube
Pros: Location and the fact there is a second course on site is this courses best feature.

A never ending supply of pin positions.

Mediocre signage, nice tee pads, and benches on most holes.

acceptable variety in distance, but I did not find as strong of a variety in shots required and the long holes were wide open.

17 had a nice elevated tee.
Cons: No navigational aids I got lost at one point and wound up on the other course.

a truck was parked directly behind hole 9 making the hole impossible to finish safely.

10 and 11 were parallel with each other, 2 groups could easily be throwing on each others fairways, especially when 11's basket curls to the left behind hole 10's tee.

Hole 12's basket was just feet from the road.

Hole 16 played very close to property lines. 17 was also parallel with property lines.

you had to walk right over another tee pad to get to hole 18, which has a steep hill on right that goes directly to a very busy road. It is heavily protected by trees, but I still had one of my attempts hit a tree and roll all of the way down the road into the busy road.

There are a few opportunities for disc loss. I spent 25-30% of my time looking for discs in brush or high grass. I did not lose any though.

Back 9 does not offer much shade during hot weather. Holes are mostly wide open.

Lots of vandalism.
Other Thoughts: I was wishing I had played the other course on the property.

More pins, does not make a better course. The money put into these pins could have been put into far better use. There was no reason for 6 pin positions when many are just 10-15 feet apart.

If you play this course during the midwest championships and disagree, shoot me a PM and we can discuss it before the anonymous thumb. A thumbsdown means this was unhelpful, not that you are pissed I rated the course low.

Lefty friendly

1    7/10/2014   8/6/2014
Review By: Matt5150
Pros: Tees are nice with benches at most.
Cons: Right side holes.
Other Thoughts: Clean park. Nice tees. Benches at most holes. Most holes bend right right or have obstacles on left. close to Oklahoma Joe's. Plenty of parking.

Doin ok in KCK!

1    11/11/2013   11/14/2013
Review By: jjw4ucm
Pros: Great layout all over Rosedale Park! I didn't leave feeling like they could have done more with the land they had. It snaked nicely between woods and open spaces, with more emphasis on open. Nothing ridiculously long, but lots of interesting holes to keep the game moving.

Several of the fairways and approaches have steep dropoffs that will severely punish a bad drive. There's a good amount of risk/reward and I thought the elevation changes were used very well.

Benches and concrete teepads at every hole, which is nice. Frequent trash cans and there were bathrooms at the beginning of the course.

Very pretty scenery for most of the course. With the exception of a few holes that play very close to Mission Road and some backyards, it was a very pretty play this fall.

This course makes good use of the land it has. I didn't feel it was lacking in any way, or that the designers could have done anything better really.

While this course is one of KC's oldest (I believe second oldest, built in 1984), it didn't feel too terribly dated or anything. I think the local club has done a good job adding pin positions and the like to keep things interesting.

I never got bored on this course. While it's fairly open in most parts, there are some tight shots, and the elevation changes mean you have to be careful with your drives or you'll end up having your disc roll down a hill.

Nicely spread out for the most part, only a couple holes play close to each other and even then it's not a huge deal (10-11 come to mind). Nothing like fellow older course Swope Park.

There is a whole other course you can play here -- more on that later, but it exists and is also 18 holes.

The navigation generally makes sense and isn't hard to follow. On 9, watch for the staircase on the right that leads you down to 10. On 3, you have a tiny path near the fairway you can take to get to 4. That's about all as far as tricky areas go if I remember right.

I tend to grade courses partly by how memorable the holes are the night after I've played. 3, 4, 8, 10, 11, and 15 all stood out to me, especially 3 -- might be my favorite hole on the course. That's a tight shot done right.

Very few blind shots. You have to shoot well on most shots, but if you're a beginner, just take it easy and focus on throwing straight, and you'll do just fine.

Multiple pin positions keep things very interesting, sometimes changing the par of the hole -- more on these later though.

I read multiple reviews complaining about the trash level on the course, but it seemed under control when I was there in mid November. Might not always be like this, of course.
Cons: What is up with the GRAFFITI everywhere?! Seriously, it's on everything. Benches, trash cans, baskets, tees, signs, everywhere. Not sure if it's from fellow DGers who think it's cool (it's not) or those in the surrounding area. This isn't really that bad of an area in relative terms so I'm not sure what's going on.

The course sees a ton of use; while it was fairly slow when I was there on an overcast Monday in November, I could tell it's well traveled. Not that the grass is all trampled or anything, but you can definitely tell it sees some use and you might have to be patient on a weekend or a sunny day.

The signs are getting a bit faded and could use an update. Also, there's no markers for which pin position is active. That's an issue because...

...okay, the pin positions on this course are a bit ridiculous. I saw a couple holes with 7 or even 8 pin placements. I mean, I like having two or maybe three, but it gets a little pointless when they're literally a few feet away from each other. There's not a lot of blind shots in the current positions, but some of the others could get irritating.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the fact that 16 and 17 play right along fenced yards, many of which have either unfriendly dogs or huge "NO TRESSPASSING" signs. Clearly the neighbors are not amused at DGers traipsing into their yards to get discs. Granted you would have to hit a pretty bad shot for this to be an issue, but it happens and it definitely made me play these holes more conservatively than I'd have liked.
Other Thoughts: Rosedale is very centrally located and easy to get to from almost anywhere in the Metro. Take I-35 south of downtown (or north of Johnson County) to the Mission Road/Southwest Blvd exit, and head south on Mission Road. The park is on your right after about a mile.

I was surprised to see so many reviewers mention the neighborhood. I mean, the Rosedale neighborhood of KCK isn't fantastic or upscale by any means, but it's no war zone and don't forget, it's just a few blocks north of Johnson County. Besides, it's an urban park. I wouldn't want to wander around ANY urban park after nightfall. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think if you lock up your car you should be fine. If you won't play here due to the "neighborhood", that totally cuts out Swope, Blue Valley, and Kessler park too. Keep your head on a swivel (as you should do in ANY large city), and enjoy the game. You should be fine.

Overall, this is a very fun course that players of all skill levels can enjoy for different reasons. Good maintenance (minus graffiti) and a good layout are key here. Beginners can enjoy an established course they won't totally bomb at; experts can enjoy a trip down memory lane seeing how the game has progressed since the 80s. Happy discing in KCK!

I love the course, love the people

5+    9/14/2013   10/14/2013
Review By: constantlyej
Pros: It is a fun course, easy to locate. The holes are very well laid out and finding your line is pretty easy once you get a feel for the course.

When the course is recently mowed, it is beautiful. There is a lot of variety on this course. I have found that every hole has potential for par, birdies are attainable with great drives. Ace runs on about 3-4 holes depending on pin placement.
Cons: Sometimes it gets kind of busy, but I have never found that to be a real problem. Other than that, I really wish that people would pick up their trash and keep the course a little cleaner- but I don't blame this all on disc golfers. The park is fairly busy by many people in the area
Other Thoughts: I love the people. There is always a great group of guys to sit and visit with around hole one. This is by far the most social course in the entire city, which makes it one of the greatest courses to play in the city. It makes taking a little bit of an extra drive worth while when you can sit and visit with Charlie and Gabby.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5