Kansas City, KS
Rosedale Park - Top Share
Uploaded By: jace Hole #13 (Taken 3/2009)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
The Top Course Seems To Be The More Popular Choice!

1    10/6/2018   10/14/2018
Pros: You can usually tell a lot about the local disc golf scene by;

1. The overall general condition of the course, ie. litter, benches, trash cans, navigational aids, brooms, bag holders, etc.
2. The beginning staging area.

The Top course at Rosedale Park starts beside the tennis courts. Here you will find:
picnic tables, a course donation box, a disc return box, a kiosk with posters and league information for each Kansas City area disc golf course. Yes, I can safely proclaim that this an active club here.

The course starts right beside the tennis courts and finishes just on the other side of those courts. Holes have anywhere from three to six basket placements and I saw no way of knowing position the basket is in. The pads are nice sized concrete. Signs are your basic fiberglass type. I could do without all the stickers plastered on everything. The baskets are older Mach II's. This course has this professional park benches. They are vandal proof. Oh, Oh! Some super strong, aggressive teen somehow trashed on of these benches on one hole.

The course features lots of places to throw some big air and generally seems to play fairly long. It has a nice combination of open and wooded, more technical holes. Also a nice variety of straight, hyser and routes needing an anhyser throw. I can't recall any one hole that stood out as a signature type hole. Just a lot of solid fun throws.
Cons: There is not a long list of Cons for the Top course.

Visiting players all mention the lack of next tees signs. After playing Harmony Bends with it's excellent next tee signs, every other course falls short in that regard.

The route after hole 3 tends to lead to confusion amongst us road trippers. There were not many locals playing today so I didn't always have local groups to follow.

Top needs a washer system like Albert Oakland has. It's cheap, easy to implement and so very helpful to not only visiting players, but locals too.
Other Thoughts: When you combine both courses here, you have 36 holes of varied, competitive disc golf. I'd say that Kansas City players have a fairly nice contingent of courses to choose and the active club seems to be on top of things. I'm suitably impressed. Now can the club do anything about the electrical storms that are raising hell with my October road trip!

A nice round but not too challenging for the better players

1    5/25/2018   8/2/2018
Review By: The Katana Kid
Pros: Rosedale Park is a Kansas City favorite. My first day was to play Up Top first and then Down Under another day. Both visits saw a lot of locals. There was a waiting line to tee off at #1.

The layout uses the park's open areas well that are adjacent to the thick woods on the edges, which are the upper edge of parts of Down Under. The basket placements are strategically woven into the trees.

I like number 3, which is entirely in the woods and you are throwing 233 ft to a blind basket to the right in the woods at the top of a hill. This was a perfect shot for my RHFH. I skipped it, hit chains, then ended up down the slope in the woods. A little further down the hill and I would have been Down Under.

Hole 14 is a nice dogleg to the left to a blind basket in a recessed area. Hole 15 is a tight line next to the woods. I grip locked and never found my disc in that thicket. Hole 16 is the signature hole. It is 350 ft, so not too long, but the path takes you over an open fairway that leads to a line through the woods that will punish you if you don't get through since there's a 50 foot drop you've got to get over.

One of the locals I played with told me that the park was not safe many years ago since it was the home of many Kansas City vices (e.g. gangs and drugs). But the disc golf culture has changed the park atmosphere and the conversion is a success story. This is the hope for Elysian Park - Buena Vista Hill, a new course in Los Angeles, which will hopefully change that park's atmosphere.
Cons: Navigation could be better since there are no next tee signs. With a map and many locals around this is not a big problem.

When you finish the third hole you need to walk back up the third fairway to get to the 4th tee. This seemed so odd to me that I went into the woods and down the hill a little to avoid the fairway and I ended up on the Down Under course, which has different color baskets to help you differentiate.
Other Thoughts: I was surprised to see the description for Rosedale Top as the highest point in Kansas City. I just posted a review of Blue Valley Park and I said it was the highest point in K.C. since someone told me that. Blue Valley Park definitely feels higher than Rosedale, but I checked and here's the actual elevations:

Rosedale Park- 296m
Blue Valley Park Short - 283m
Blue Valley Park Pro - 276m
Water Works - 274m

So I stand to be corrected, but Blue Valley Park is more open and feels higher.

Dynamic Discs has a nice factory outlet store at 2866 W 47th St, which is less than one mile from Rosedale Park and serves like a pro shop for Rosedale. They have a sheet of paper, which is worth your stop, that breaks down all the courses in the Kansas City area. It'd be a shame to be so close to a factory outlet and not check it out. I thought this was a nice benefit to these two excellent Rosedale courses. And they return lost discs that are turned in.

If you like disc golf, which I'm pretty sure you do or you wouldn't be reading this, then you will want to visit Rosedale Park when in Kansas City. If you're newer to the sport or not up the challenge of Down Under then stay Up Top and you'll have fun. If you're brave and have time then play both.

I struggled on the rating. It is a very good course, which is a 3.5 rating. But it does not have the challenges of Down Under, which I rated as excellent, or 4.0. And Water Works I rated as Phenomenal, or 4.5. If you think I'm unfair in my rating or want to give me pointers on how to write more helpful reviews then please send me a note.

Classic experience

1    7/22/2018   7/22/2018
Review By: Jakenewcomb44
Pros: Awesome design, scenery, baskets, maintenance, challenge. It's everything you would want in a park course. Very well marked. Had a great time playing this before it started raining cutting my round short.
Cons: Finding my way around was a touch challenging but not too bad. Locals are very friendly.
Other Thoughts: Enjoy!

Don't Stop 'Til You Reach the Top

1    2/14/2018   2/20/2018
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: I played Rosedale Down Under last year, and being in the same park as the Top course will go as a major pro. Two great courses in one stop. The Top course is wonderful and deserves the nice rating it has.

It is par 54. The more open holes often have some extra length, while the shorter holes involve steering your drives around trees. There are holes that can yield birdies, and holes that take a well placed second shot to have a good chance at making par. Elevation changes are not usually drastic, but there are a couple of good size hills. Trees are not as prevalent as Down Under, but the woods are heavy enough in places to create fairly tight lines along the fairways.

The tee pads are concrete and oversized, very roomy. There are tee signs, and good baskets. Course layout makes great use of the available park space.

My favorite holes are 3, 5, and most of all 14. 3 is the first dip into the woods, with a pin tucked away on the right side at the end of a fairway lined with trees on each side. 5 features a low area between the tee and the basket, with clusters of trees along the fairway and near the pin. I did get a great drive and made a birdie on this one. 14 is the largest downhill run, and has a many mature trees with branches reaching out from all sides trying to knock down disc. If you make it to the flat at the bottom of the hill you are in good position for the approach, but getting to the pin from the tee takes a monster drive.
Cons: After hole 3 the path doubles back along the left side of the fairway. The path is fairly well worn, but it took me a minute to make sure I was going the right way. There are other places where the transitions cross roads. A copy of the map may prove to be useful.

The course was full of disc golfers when I visited, as it was one of the first good weather days of the year. Use caution not to throw toward others on the fairway ahead of you. I came a little close to the group ahead of me on hole 14, and they let me hear about it. Rightfully so, as I should know better. I really got more distance than I expected on my drive, and it skipped to a stop about twenty feet away from one of them. I apologize again if they happen to read this review.
Other Thoughts: The Top of Rosedale Park is a lot of fun. If the drives are good and the putts are falling, you may even get under par. It takes consistent shot making to get there. Wind can complicate things on many of the open holes.

I shot a 55 to finish at one over par. That is not bad for me, especially on my first round at this course. I did miss a couple of makable putts. Birdies on hole 5 and 11 were outweighed by the bogies on holes 2, 15, and 16.

If you spend a few days around KC checking out the disc golf scene, Rosedale should be near the top of the list for sure. Both courses would easily be in my top 10 for the area.

Rosedale Top Windy December Day

1    12/15/2017   12/15/2017
Review By: Jjburleson
Pros: His is my first play through of this course and it wasn't too bad. All of the tee pads were concrete and there was hole signage at each tee pad to show the hole shape and each basket placement. Most holes had at least 3-4 basket placements which is great but sometime hard to see where the basket is. This may be because I'm playing in December and everything is dead.

I like that on most of the holes even if your tee shot is a little far left or right, typically your second shot will still be an ok setup shot to get you close for a par. Something I haven't seen at any other disc golf course is large colored flags on top of the basket with the hole number to help find the baskets. Another good thing is that you can almost see all of the baskets from the tee pads which makes it clear where you're supposed to shoot.

Lots of mature trees that make for fun technical shots throughout the course. Good baskets and having multiple placements makes for a fun course to play more than once.
Cons: I found that there is quite a lot of rocks throughout the fairways and greens which can really eat up some discs if you were to play this course regularly. I wish there were more hazards other than mature trees to help with more difficult tee shots. I haven't played Rosedale under but I've heard that it is a little more difficult with window shots. I was hoping to get a little of that on Rosedale top other than hole 16 which is very cool and has you tee off having to split a medium ceiling/medium window tree gap to get to the basket.

I wish that there was signage at the end of each hole to help guide you to the next as it was hard for me to navigate sometimes. Luckily the locals are nice and had one play through with me to help guide me through.

I was told that this is a good course during the day but it is a sketchy place during the evening and night and would not really want to go over there after 5pm probably.
Other Thoughts: Overall this course seems to be an all around well set course that is mostly open with lots of big trees and multiple basket locations. Also, this park has a good amount of parking, porta-pottys (which is better than no bathrooms), tennis courts, baseball fields and other attractions beyond a decent disc golf course. I will be coming back to play this course again in 2018 when it gets warmer for sure.

Solid course very enjoyable

5+    4/13/2017   4/13/2017
Review By: ChadNewman
Pros: Every tee has a nice tee pad all had some kind of seating around and a trash can.

Bathrooms close by, along with a shelter not far from the first hole and a number of benches by the first pin, which is awesome if you are meeting up with a group.

Nice signage showing the multiple pin locations, normally 3 different placements, didn't have the ability to show current placement.

The majority of shots are going to be the most challenging and you can tackle the shots in a variety of way. The front nine, will have many wide open shots, not HUGE holes, but decent. Being a LHBH player, the back nine is perfect of my game, as the majority of holes have a sit to the right from the tee.

In the past two years, the course has seen some changes in flow (between 9 and 10) and trees have been planted on 10 making it a very good looking hole.

I wouldn't say there is a staple hole, but this course is fantastic for beginners.
Cons: Course is at a public park that has other users which makes it very challenging to find good parking. They only have two small lots and if there are softball or kickball games those will fill up very quickly. None of the holes really bring the fields into play, so you shouldn't have anyone walking through fairways.
Other Thoughts: Decent course, not the best area, but the local disc golf club is very good at keep the course up to date.

This is one of the courses that rotates through my course selection I really enjoy the course to practice different kind of shots for more challenging courses.

Nice improvements up top

1    12/27/2016   1/4/2017
Review By: Cerealman
Pros: The top course at Rosedale Park offers a contrasting and challenging complement to its Down Under counterpart. While the Down Under course features tight lines and technical challenges, the Top course provides ample opportunities to "let 'em rip."

Some of the best signage I've ever seen. The map at each teepad is colorful and detailed (though it wasn't always clear which pin position was being used).

An ever-changing course. Each hole has multiple possibilities for pin locations - for example, Hole #8 boasted SEVEN possible spots for the basket. In fact, the basket to Hole #6 was uprooted and moved by a gentleman in a pickup truck as my playing partner and I stood on the teepad, instantly making the hole longer.

The top course also offers an excellent opportunity for beginner and intermediate players to work on their accuracy and upshots/long putts. Precise driving will be required to garner many birdies.
Cons: Two of the holes (Hole #3 and #15) require walking back down the fairway after completing the hole. These holes could result in some congestion if the course is crowded.

A lack of variety in spots. While the back nine offers some gratifying elevation changes, the front nine is mainly flat with not much variance in hole distance.
Other Thoughts: The photos (from 2009) need updating. Several holes appeared to have been recently changed, including a modification on the back nine that resulted in much better flow and hole design.

The top course at Rosedale is an enjoyable challenge that is easy to traverse and less susceptible to previous precipitation. Combining the Top course with the Down Under course will result in a diverse and pleasurable 36-hole experience.

Rosedale Top

1    12/27/2016   12/27/2016
Review By: JohnDeere
Pros: Long Teepads
Good Sinage
Lots of locals to help
Dynamic Discs down the street
Lost disc return
Cool drop offs for challenging holes
Cons: Poor navigation (hole 3) and others
Lots of rocks for possible chunks taken out of cheap discs
Personal preference but the baskets don't catch well for my spin putt
Other Thoughts: Good course, I perfer Water Works though
Needs to be longer with par 4s

Brisk morning round.

1    1/5/2016   1/27/2016
Review By: RippH
Pros: Nicely laid out course. Good change of hole length and some elevation change. The baskets are moved frequently. The park is mowed and taken care of.
Cons: There are a couple huge drop offs just past the baskets on the first four holes.
Other Thoughts: We've played it once but we'd like to go back again. Hopefully when it's warmer out.

Pin positions galore.

1    7/25/2014   8/6/2014
Review By: prerube
Pros: Location and the fact there is a second course on site is this courses best feature.

A never ending supply of pin positions.

Mediocre signage, nice tee pads, and benches on most holes.

acceptable variety in distance, but I did not find as strong of a variety in shots required and the long holes were wide open.

17 had a nice elevated tee.
Cons: No navigational aids I got lost at one point and wound up on the other course.

a truck was parked directly behind hole 9 making the hole impossible to finish safely.

10 and 11 were parallel with each other, 2 groups could easily be throwing on each others fairways, especially when 11's basket curls to the left behind hole 10's tee.

Hole 12's basket was just feet from the road.

Hole 16 played very close to property lines. 17 was also parallel with property lines.

you had to walk right over another tee pad to get to hole 18, which has a steep hill on right that goes directly to a very busy road. It is heavily protected by trees, but I still had one of my attempts hit a tree and roll all of the way down the road into the busy road.

There are a few opportunities for disc loss. I spent 25-30% of my time looking for discs in brush or high grass. I did not lose any though.

Back 9 does not offer much shade during hot weather. Holes are mostly wide open.

Lots of vandalism.
Other Thoughts: I was wishing I had played the other course on the property.

More pins, does not make a better course. The money put into these pins could have been put into far better use. There was no reason for 6 pin positions when many are just 10-15 feet apart.

If you play this course during the midwest championships and disagree, shoot me a PM and we can discuss it before the anonymous thumb. A thumbsdown means this was unhelpful, not that you are pissed I rated the course low.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6