Sabattus, ME
Sabattus Disc Golf - Hawk Share
Uploaded By: bcr123psu Hole #7 (Taken 8/2010)
Hole #7 Approach

< Prev 1 2 3
The Third Best Course at Sabattus (which is still very good).

2-4    8/14/2019   8/14/2019
Review By: markmcc
Pros: This is one of three, 18-hole courses in this amazing complex, and is considered the easiest of the courses. While it falls in the middle in terms of length, it is generally more open than the other two courses so hitting gaps and shaping lines is not as critical. But don't take this to mean it is an open course because it is not. It just isn't crazy tight.

As I played I was surprised at how long some of the holes were. The holes average 360 feet, and vary greatly from 169 feet all of the way out to 646 feet. The very longest holes play out in a open field, but many of the long holes are partially or completely in the wooded area.

Generous pars give a course par of 73, which is one higher than the longer and considerably more difficult Eagle course in this same complex. Odd.

Hole shapes in the woods vary from dead straight to gentle right and left bends. There are a couple of sharp doglegs and one hole that actually plays as a full 180 degree "horseshoe". That being said the fairways are pretty generous and you'll get a lot of birdies out here if you are playing well.

Excellent concrete teepads and tee signs on every hole. I dislike the tee signs on the other two courses, perhaps because two layouts are combined onto a single sign and they are just too vague. Hawk is a completely standalone course and the hole diagrams work here.

Discatcher baskets with a bright red top band and often a large yellow flag are easy to spot and catch great. Ample benches and trashcans round out the excellent infrastructure.
Cons: This is an attractive and enjoyable course. Relaxing even. It seems to be aimed at rec level players who will appreciate the more open fairways and generous pars. I prefer the Eagle and Falcon courses in terms of challenge, variety and repeat play, but don't mind a kinder, gentler course now and then!

With a single set of teepads and basket positions there is a single setup here. But there are two other courses so not much of a ding.

Pars are very soft on this course. I suppose that the idea might be to give newish players a boost by allowing them to birdie some holes and perhaps even shoot under par overall. But you could get fooled into thinking that double-digits under par are a normal thing.
Other Thoughts: I've reviewed the other Sabattus courses previously and will repeat my observation that this is the most professionally run disc golf operation that I've had the pleasure to deal with. Maintenance is exceptional, and the total experience from check-in at the pro shop to playing the courses is absolutely top notch. If you'd like to see the pay-to-play model really working well on a large scale, Sabattus is worth a visit.

It would be interesting to see how Hawk would look as a standalone course in a different location. It has a nice variety of trees and open land, and some elevation as well. It just suffers a bit when compared to the other 18-hole courses on the property.

1    7/2/2019   7/29/2019
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: The Course: Hawk is an intermediate level course at Sabattus. The upkeep and amenities are a defining characteristic of SDG and are evident on this course also. The tees, signs, baskets, navigation, and extra touches are at the top of the class.

There is good variety here of wooded holes and some grassy open holes, a creek is in view on sometimes making for nice scenery (but not as much of a hazard like it is used on the Eagle course), some elevation present but overall way more flat than Eagle. Since it is geared towards intermediate- the fairways are pretty forgivable and hazards are not mentally deflating.

It was kind of nice to relax a little and not have to bring my A+ game on every single shot after getting beat up on the Eagle course earlier in the day.

The Complex: 4 courses on-site that cover a wide range of difficulty. The club house (which looks to be a new version than the pics on DGCR) would be the envy of many ball golf country clubs- two stories with discs, baskets, bags, clothes, and snacks for sale. Climate controlled, very nice restroom inside, and the employees were very professional, polite, and helpful. Plenty of large colorful scorecards and golf pencils.
Cons: The Course: Not nearly as great as the Eagle course. If this course were by itself it would be good for locals, but not necessarily a disc golf destination on its own merit.

The open holes are bordering on too open for my tastes to be interesting after a few rounds. And the final few holes were rather bland. I could still play multiple rounds here, but if I lived close I would spend more time on Eagle/Falcon.

Posted par is geared more for those with less experience, so it seemed way too generous to me.

The Complex: A few things that are merely suggestions, rather than cons.

Practice area was very small, a couple baskets for practicing short putts and a driving net. Suggestion- warmup on the 9 hole Owl course instead.

I wished the clubhouse had more hearty lunch options available, instead of just snacks, but they did make a great nearby recommendation- Rocky Ridge Orchard.

With all the courses being named after predatory birds, I get them confused and still have a hard time remembering which name goes with which course.
Other Thoughts: I have played many other complexes and what makes Sabattus different from the others is its immaculate appearance and that the complex offers a wide range of options catering to all skill levels (versus multiple difficult 4.5+ courses like Selah and IDGC). Hawk is a notch lower than the "2nd" course at these other places in my opinion, but still Sabattus is a great place to spend a day or two playing some enjoying disc golf.

I read Sabattus's mission statement, and I would say they have definitely achieved what they have set out to do and the Hawk course plays a key role in appealing to a wide variety of players and skill levels. I highly recommend making a trip to play here, and I would definitely come back. (not to mention the numerous other very nice courses in this part of Maine)

1    7/31/2015   8/4/2015
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: Of all the disc golf complexes I've visited (Highbridge, Horning's Hideout), this is by far the best taken care of. This isn't a couple courses on a guy's ranch or in his backyard. It is the sole focus of the property, and the care shows. Everything is mowed. Woodchips cover every possible wet area. The pro shop is one of the largest I've seen.

Hawk is the intermediate course. There are no unrealistic lines, but the course does not shy away from distance with five 500+ foot holes. After an opening 200-foot ace run, the second hole is a fairly open bomber that narrows to a wooded area with the basket on a slope with big rollaway potential. The elevation changes aren't huge here, but the rolling terrain is used well.

About 2/3 of the course is wooded, and it seems like most holes have the perfect number of trees. Hitting the landing area will leave you with a good look, but missing it doesn't mean you have a boring toss out to the fairway.

Tees are all concrete. The crushed gravel paths lead you through much of the course, and you won't cringe when your disc lands on them.
Cons: The tee signs (not the ones in the pictures). I hate them. They don't show the true contours of the fairway at all. Twice I finished a hole, looked around for the next tee, and realized I'd played to the wrong basket. It didn't help that the baskets don't have numbers on them. No one wants to replay a hole like that.

On two holes the designers want you to throw a horseshoe-shaped fairway and put up signs asking you not to take the shortcut straight to the basket. This feels like mediocre design, which is odd because most of this complex is very well designed.

Otherwise, there are a lot of good, fun holes, but not the really memorable ones that Eagle has.
Other Thoughts: I'm very impressed with the complex. I hope this is the future of disc golf. A land owner took a risk and is dedicating the land to disc golf and (as far as I can tell) nothing else. This was my introduction to Maine disc golf. Heck of a welcome.

The best

5+    12/12/2014   4/17/2015
Review By: Jmewhite1
Pros: 4 courses for all skill levels. Great practice area and best pro shop in Maine. Maintained to perfection with wood chips crushed rock and grass greens.
Cons: Closed in the winter, that's about it, the hawk could use new baskets
Other Thoughts: Destination course

Destination: good time

5+    8/24/2014   8/29/2014
Review By: overkill
Pros: A very well laid out, fun course with equal amount of open space and wooded area to challenege all levels of player. The entire course is more similar to a PGA golf course vs some of the "path cut through the woods" courses that are around.
Cons: Pars are generous but can be adjusted to what you consider fair.
Other Thoughts: Will always play here over any other course when given the chance.

Strong compliment to Eagle

5+    6/26/2016   8/15/2014
Review By: iHitTree
This review was updated on 8/19/2016
Pros: The Eagle probably gets most of the attention as the marquis layout at Sabattus, but The Hawk may be my favorite. It's easy enough to boost confidence, but challenging enough if you alter the pars to pro pars (make 5's par 4's and make 4's par 3's) to make for a fun round. There is an awesome Pro Shop on site with amazing amounts of discs, merch, snacks, drinks, bathrooms, and helpful staff. I also really like the terrain here. Lots of mix of grass, dirt, rocks, roots, pine needles, water, elevation change, etc., to keep you on your toes. The tee sign, tee pads, and course navigation are fantastic.
Cons: There should be a pro par. This course is not a par 72...I found it to be par 60. This course attracts newer players and families, which is great, but sometimes they may not know to try to let you play through, so be kind and vigilant if you're there on a warm-weather weekend.

Other Thoughts: This was a great warm up to Sabattus' premier course, The Eagle. It is slightly easier, but also has all the pros its big bro does. On the course, my favorite holes include hole 2 (great pro par 4 requiring a nice long drive that makes it past a line of trees perpendicular to the tee, followed by a nice mid-range or putter (or forehand) turnover shot to get your 3), hole 9 (another great pro par 4, this time a gently snaking woods tunnel, safest bet is mid-range, mid-range, putt to get your 3), hole 10 (similar to 9, so if you messed that one up, this is a slightly easier and shorter version), hole 12 (plays out in the open along the edge of woods on right, big dogleg right hole, good chance to throw a roller off the tee), and hole 14 (awesome tunnel shot out of the woods, and then a crush, pro par 4).

I Made An Account Just So I Could Write This Review

1    8/11/2014   8/13/2014
Review By: samuyama
Pros: -Super Professional. This course is so well kept it made me proud to play this sport.

-Large tee pads. A lot of courses have smaller pads that can be hard to tee off from, plenty of space here.

-course is clearly marked and easy to navigate. Most every hole has a bench and trashcan, map with distance to hole looks really nice.
Cons: The only thing would be that the map at each hole isn't quite to scale with reality (but have yet to play a course that is), so first timer's here be mindful and take a good look before throwing.

Being how nice this course already is, it'd be cool if each hole had a nickname as well.
Other Thoughts: I was visiting from NC and only had time to play one course in Maine. I'm glad I chose Sabattus, hands down the best course I've ever played. I've been using this site for a while to find good courses, but like I mentioned in the title I finally made an account just so I could write this review.

The course goes in the trees enough that you get good shade and feel like you're experiencing the nature of Maine (beautiful), but clear enough that you should never worry about losing a disc.

The guy working the desk, Patrick, is a professional disc golfer, sponsored and everything. Knows his stuff and is happy to help you find the right discs, give you advice on throwing technique, and anything just for love of the game.

Hawk

2-4    7/25/2014   7/25/2014
Review By: dlandry13
Pros: This course along with the three others are maintained very professionally, and it is pretty hard to lose your disc on this course. Has great lines and open fairways providing an excellent layout for beginners like myself. I cannot think of anything bad to say about this course or Sabattus Disc Golf.
Cons: 7 dollars for a round is a little pricey compared to other places, but with the majestic professional atmosphere and courses, it is well worth it. I come here whenever I want to have a good peaceful round.
Other Thoughts: The stock inside the pro shop is unbelievable. I have to tell myself not to go in there because I know I will end up wanting to buy something whether it is a disc, a bag, mini, or any other disc golf related item. Check this place out as soon as you can! Definitely the best in Maine that I have seen so far.

A new level of golf experience

1    6/29/2014   7/17/2014
Review By: centralscrutinizer
Pros: We arrived early and Peter (Paul?) when he saw that we had come a long way (from NC) came out to chat with us. We spoke a few minutes and very much appreciated the time he took to tell us about the courses/pro shop/plans for the future and the disc golf scene in Maine. The course was challenging, with a good mix of tight fairways and open fields, something for everyone. I've been playing for 6 years now and this was the more professional maintained course I've ever seen. Trash cans, benches, porta potties, a great pro shop, basically all the amenities that I'd expect on a typical ball golf course. We intended to play again as we passed through on our return trip but time was against us. Was it the toughest course I've ever played, not at all, was it one of the best laid out making a great use of the terrain available, absolutely. After our round when we were leaving the parking lot was full which in itself is a testament to the disc golf experience you can expect here. I truly hope that other private courses learn from them and model their professionally maintained courses/business in a similar fashion.
Cons: The pars on the toughest of the 3 courses were somewhat generous in my opinion. Not that it really matters in that everyone is playing to the same numbers. If I was to make a suggestion I'd like to see a monster layout, the likes of Renny Gold or the Web in Charlotte for days I'm in the mood to get a good beat down.

Returning to Roots

2-4    5/23/2014   5/26/2014
Review By: reposado
Pros: This is the course that really kick-started my play, about two years ago. With only one course and a handful of rounds under my belt, I played Hawk just before leaving the state and I absolutely loved it at the time. A hundred and fifty courses later, I returned to Sabattus. It didn't take longer than stepping onto the first tee to realize that this is a far easier course than the one that was in my head. That isn't inherently a bad thing. This is still a good course. But it is by far the easiest course that I have ever considered giving a four.

There is some distance here. 500-600 feet holes. But those holes are wide open, with nothing but open field between tee and basket. There are some wooded holes. Those holes are typically less than 200 feet from tee to target and the fairways are more than generous. While a bunch of the short holes are straight, it does require some lines, but none that will raise the blood pressure. There's a little elevation, but it's not overly strenuous. It was around hole 15 that I realized, "this is the perfect red level course."

Yeah those open holes will take a red player a few shots, but that's why they have real, red-level pars. They are going to relish the chance to air a few out, and see what kind of distance they can achieve. If you look at the hole descriptions, there is nothing that overly tax a beginner. And those generous pars will certainly make them feel good about their game. (Even a blue-level player should be aiming for -18 on a good day.

Then you throw in the same exquisite maintenance and aesthetic appeal that Eagle course boasts? Tees, baskets, navigation....it's all top-notch here. Truly an excellent experience for a new player and the perfect course to learn the game on.
Cons: It really only has lasting appeal for one skillset of players, and those that play here often will outgrow it relatively soon. I think that all players will enjoy it at least once, but honestly, I wouldn't play it that often if I was local. Eagle is right there and it is a far superior course. Far more so than the current difference in their ratings would indicate.

There is some water here, but it's mostly for aesthetic appeal. The same creek from Eagle winds its way around a few of these holes, but I couldn't see a place where it might affect a toss. (In fact the one place where a local route sneaks across a pond to a back way to the basket, it is forbidden by mando.) There is some elevation, but it's usually quite simplistic. There are some interesting holes here, but they are the exceptions. Too many are simple, straight approaches to the basket. At the beginning, I was debating a four for Hawk, but by the end, especially those last open holes, there was a bit of tedium.
Other Thoughts: In the end, I found what was only hypothetical a week ago: a perfect red-level course. I think it's on the high side of 3.5 but there isn't enough memorable here to bump it up one more notch.

< Prev 1 2 3