Sacramento (Orangevale), CA
Shady Oaks Park Share
Uploaded By: Mavurick Hole #14 (Taken 1/2015)
Hole #14 Long Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Fun Place to Play!

5+    10/4/2017   10/7/2017
Review By: Joecuzzi
Pros: Holes are Challenging but not very long, so not to difficult if your new to the sport. Has a proshop, which is convenient. Even though I got hit by a disc on the first hole the first time playing this course, it is still one of my favorite places to play.

If this is what Shade looks like, we’ll take it!

1    9/18/2017   9/21/2017
Review By: Magiken
Pros:
• Easy to find
• Nice baskets with the occasional alternate tee
• Three warm-up baskets with a really cool area to practice
• Restrooms (no soap though)
• Good signage and fairly easy to navigate
• Good tee boxes
• Very nice surroundings
• Pro Shop with snacks
Cons:
• Crowds form quick
• A little criss-crossy in spots
• Some of the trees are getting pretty beat-up from errant shots off the tee. Some protective netting would appear to be in order.
Tips
• If you're going to use a map use the online one versus the big one at the course
• Go early...on a weekday

Random Thoughts:
This is one of those of those courses that, if you follow the game, you hear and see a lot about before you go visit for yourself. That, in my case, certainly raised expectations a notch but if anything tempered them, it was all this chatter about crowds and miscreants. Well, the crowd eventually showed, but I'm happy to report, there were no miscreants and the course lived up to the hype.

Addressing the crowd thing first, we showed up on a Monday at 10:00AM and there was only 1 person in front of us but by the time we finished, easily half the holes had people on them. Again, Monday, work day, school in session, and the place is filling up just before noon. That is the dealio on that.

As for the course, this is a great design. The first two holes are fairly straight with just a tree or two and a slope to deal with, but they allow you to get warmed up without penalizing too harshly the slightly errant drive. Then the fun begins, because the rest of this course is a tactician's delight. While most of the distances aren't particularly long, every hole from then on demands a fairly precise shot shape and shot length. The prior demand is a thing of beauty, in that, you'd swear some of these trees were planted just for the course and that this couldn't possibly be laid out this nicely but it's really a credit to the course designers for plotting out the holes intelligently, and then, I'm sure, a lot of hard work clearing the fairways. The result of which is a first chunk of holes that are either straight or right to left but all demand you ride the fairway rails all the way down to the basket. What's funny is right around hole 9 my wife (who's a lefty) made the comment that the course was very right hand friendly, and then right on cue, she was gifted several holes that were left to right. It again points to the thought that was put into the course and ensuring you have a complete mix of holes to play with. But before I conclude on the course demands, I want to circle back to my comment on 'shot length'. I mention this because there is OB all over this course and most of it is right behind or near the basket. It's not particularly large OB but it's well placed and it demands you think about it before firing and forgetting. What makes it even a tick trickier is most of the ground here is very hard, compacted dirt. It's darn near concrete in texture, which means Skippy McDisk is in full effect. In other words, be a little short on your landing. Even the beautiful 'top of the world' shot on #12 where you step up and go 'Yea! Let's bomb one!!'. Beware. There's OB right behind the basket. Go Patriot missile instead. Having said that, I loved the challenge of it and only gifted 1 shot to the OB gods, thanks to a crappy putt off a tree of all things. With that said, I still found the entire course to be completely fair and manageable.

Stepping back to the other course amenities, we really enjoyed what we saw here. This is a pretty park with interesting trees that was quite pleasant to walk through. There's even a horse facility next door gifting us some beautiful horses strolling around while we played. It has just enough elevation change with wandering stream beds throughout. You can also see a lot of work went into it with numerous navigation signs, benches, trash cans, bridges, and stepping stones for the rainy days (how did you get those things in there?). I also really liked that where some trees had fallen, they were just left in place. It adds just a bit more challenge and interest to the eye. In short, a lot of love went and goes into this course. It shows, and we appreciate it.

Bottom Line:
We thoroughly enjoyed this course, both playing it, and just walking through it. It has a very fun mix of mid-sized precision shots that is challenging but fair to the scorecard. It is also a lovely walk in the woods. Believe the hype and get out there. Just go early. Bravo course crew!

Great Course!

5+    9/9/2017   9/9/2017
Review By: the_bird
This review was updated on 9/20/2017
Pros: -a load of really old, beautiful oaks make this course scenic, challenging and unique. It is the best course I've played in my short disc golf career.

-For me (a true novice) it is really a great but fair challenge. I feel like I am punished fairly for errant shots but rewarded when I actually throw a decent disc.

-None of the holes are so long that I leave feeling totally emasculated, but they are still long enough that they force me to use all of the discs in my bag in a variety of different ways.

-It's really nice having a disc golf shop at the course to get a gatorade after a round, or to replace a lost disc (which has happened I'm afraid).
Cons: I hear the crowds can be awful, but I haven't experienced that yet. I've only played Shady Oaks these past few weeks during the week, and it has been pretty wide open during this time. Granted, it has been ridiculously hot during this time, with some of the nastiest 108 degree days of the summer. I still managed to finish 12 holes on a couple of occasions during the hot-spell, but both times was barely able to crawl back to my car.
Other Thoughts: I'm excited to continue playing Shady Oaks, and can't wait until the weather cools down and seasons change. I am sure it's a hell of a place in late fall and early spring.

Great course

5+    9/9/2016   9/26/2016
Review By: stussyjoker
Pros: Great variety in hole design
Multiple pin positions keep the course fresh and fun no matter where they are positioned
Tee boxes are nice and big
Nice location
Great pro shop on site
Cons: Can be quite busy during peak hours
Can encounter the occasional wanna-be pro jerk from time to time
Other Thoughts: I love this course. I like the layout, the multiple placements, the practice areas are nice, there is great variety, etc. It can get quite busy, so there are times where you may have to wait on larger groups. The Pro Shop is great. Better than the shop at Rocklin, IMO.

Benches galore

1    1/12/2016   2/1/2016
Review By: todd9500
Pros: First Impressions: There sure were a lot of people at Shady Oaks on a Tuesday (01/12/16) at 9:30am but it wasn't too busy so there was a nice flow to my round. The locals were friendly and helpful in getting me going in the right direction.

Amenities: There was a bathroom with running water. The Final 9 Sports disc golf shop on site was outstanding.

Course design/difficulty/obstacles/out-of-bounds: Great design with plenty of challenging dogleg holes - lots of trees to navigate around - testing every kind of shot you could imagine. There was a creek that ran through the course. They had multiple basket locations.

Course condition: Excellent.

Navigability/ signage/maps: Easy to follow with DGCR map. The signage was excellent. The signs included a washer indicating the basket position. They were accurate the day I was there.

Local DG involvement: I could tell Shady Oaks disc golfers really care about their course. It was evident that hundreds of volunteer hours went into this course.
There are plenty of leagues to get involved with their local disc golf community.

Tee pads/benches/shelters/picnic tables: I was impressed with the amount of benches that were constructed at each of the holes. I've never seen anything quite like it. The cement tee-pads were decent. There were plenty of picnic tables in the huge shelter area by the Pro shop. There was a putting practice area with multiple baskets.
Cons: I heard this course could get very busy so choosing when you play it could be key.
Other Thoughts: I highly recommend this course.

Remember the Disc Golfer's Code:

1) Play Smart - Never throw into a blind area or when players, spectators, pedestrians, or other facility users are within range. Use a spotter.

2) Respect the Course - Observe all posted rules. No littering, graffiti, or abuse of equipment or flora.

3) Represent the Sport - Be positive and responsible. Teach others.

One of my favs

5+    9/1/2015   9/21/2015
Review By: Tcollins88
Pros: Lots of trees making it a technical course. Several dog leg holes. Easy to get to. Hole 12 ends right by the parking lot and picnic tables if you want to stop or pause there.
Cons: Quite a bit of poison oak.
Other Thoughts: This is my standard go to course.

Very nice park course

1    4/15/2015   4/16/2015
Review By: Phlick
Pros: Has all a good course should. Benches. Trash cans. Restrooms - with running water. Awesome pro shop. Great tees. Incredible signage. Nice parking - easy to get to. Well designed/balanced layout. What doesn't this course have?
Cons: Bomber holes. (lack of)
Crowds. Has to be almost always.
Wind exposure
Old baskets
Did I say crowds?
Other Thoughts: This is a great course. The pro shop is well stocked and staff know their stuff. Prices are good and a discount was offered for PDGA membership - without asking. No maps available - but they're not needed. I'd like one for posterity - this was a course where no two shots were the same and each was memorable in it's own way. The tee pads are well placed and a good shape/size. The signage includes a washer on each tee pad indicating the basket position with accurate position/footage indicated on the very well illustrated tee signs. Benches were plentiful and needed on each of the tee pads. Lots of time/money/thought has gone into this course - and it shows. Multiple (3-5) pin placements on each hole ensure infinite re-playability and challenge for tournament set ups. There were no holes over 500' in the layout I played, maybe one or two pins allowed for this distance (maybe more - maybe none - I only played once) - but I can see this being tough in longest layout - the size of the park and layout of the holes easily allow. Wayward drives aren't brutally punished, but make for a tough save - which is a challenge in an open (for the most part) park setting like this.

This park challenges my rating evaluation system - it has it all. The only things keeping it from rating higher - outside of better baskets, which really aren't that big of a gripe - are really out of what this park can control

#1 Crowds.
#2 Bomber 500'+ holes - modern NT/gold level course size/design.

Would recommend and look forward to playing again.

Great course for any skill level

5+    1/29/2015   3/29/2015
Review By: sumo21
This review was updated on 2/1/2016
Pros: -Multiple pin positions for all holes

-Bench/seat on every hole to sit or put your discs on, instead of the ground

-Still challenging even after playing it more than 25X+ since I began playing disc golf

-Obstacles on every hole force you to bring out all of your tools in the bag

-Any skill level can play the course and play well

-Pro shop on site

-Bathrooms on site

-BBQ pit with tables under a large wooden canopy type structure, provide a place to relax after a round or just a place to get out of the Sun

-Pedestrian walkers not a problem, maybe 2%-3% of the time. Never been a problem for all the times that I've played there

-Plenty of parking, despite being a small park

-3 practice baskets: 2 by holes 1 & 12, 1 by hole 2 teepad
Cons: -Hole 5 on deep in the jungle should be a Par 4

-Get there before doubles start at 10AM, or you can and probably will be waiting for a bit

-Holes 1 & 2 are upshots and players in front of you might forget to let the trailing group know it's clear to play, so one in that group must walk up the hill and find out. 1 isn't a problem if the basket is in the short position
Other Thoughts: My home course is still enjoyable even after playing it a ton of times. The players that play here are mostly friendly, as is the Pro Shop and it's staff. Jim, the manager of the Pro Shop is one of the nicest guys that you'll ever meet. He is one of the touring pros in the Grandmaster division. Drew Gibson, another tour pro in the Men's Open division, has spent a lot of time honing his game here. The tournaments that are held here are phenomenal and I hope to enter one very soon.

The Local Advantage

2-4    3/15/2015   3/16/2015
Review By: TalbotTrojan
Pros: The design of this course is really something amazing. There are no holes that look the same and the land used is used in such an incredible way that it is really something special. The tee pads are nice and big and the baskets are consistent. The tee signs look nice and have accurate information. Final 9 sports is right there on location offering discs and other accessories. There are a lot of locals that clearly love this course and keep improving the course over time as they can. The flow of the course is good. There is a lot of fun and interesting shots on this course. As far as scoring separation from a good shot and a bad shot, this is one of the best courses I have seen. There is a very nice picnic area and practice area near Final 9 sports and teh first tee. There is a good amount of signage in order to find the next tees. There are several places on this course that simply look beautiful, as in the course itself looks beautiful. There are lots fo nice bridges and stepping stones to get over water features or other areas that become muddy. There are multiple basekt locations and a few alternate tees.
Cons: The baskets are older and could use an upgrade to the newer, better catching baskets. There are lots of places to potentially find poison oak. There are several holes that are very not begginner friendly. In talking with locals, I learned that the crowds on this course can be very bad, especially on the weekends. This along with the fact that several holes are on top of each other or have blind elements, there can be some serious issues. There is also tennis courts near Final 9 and the first tee with very run down bathrooms right there, only adding to the frustrations with crowds. The parking lot is not big enough to handle what I imagine to be the crowds that will be at this course. There are a couple of longer ish walks between holes that would be confusing without signage. There are some drainage ditches that provide some awesome water features when there is water in them, but I never saw water in them. There are some walking paths to go through the course, which may have people walking them without really know what is going on with the disc golf course.
Other Thoughts: The design of this course is really good.and props goes to the locals that make this course home. The experience is really enjoyable and I would highly reccomend playing this course. Playing this course consistently will make you a better player. I feel like this course is only going to get better as improvements are continually made. The pyramid hole is something I was told was a new addition to the course and I thought was very well done and made the course that much more interesting. Even after a few rounds on this course, there are still holes that I am replaying in my head. There has to be a way to figure out how to play this course, but it is not necessarily a course that one can just figure out in one round, which will always keep things interesting. I was fortunate enough to play this course as part of the 2015 St. Patty's Classic tournament. I would highly reccomend playing in tournaments run by the same people on this course or other courses as they did a wonderful job. Really there are not enough good things to say about the people associated with this course in one way or another.

Where I learned to pay.

5+    10/8/2014   11/19/2014
Review By: Taz Michael
Pros: Very few hikers, bikers, etc to get in your throwing area. Lots of obstacles and water hazards. Not a beginner course, for sure.
Cons: Very popular course, so wait time can be a pain. The placement nails (for hole placement guide) are often wrong, so you throw blindly to a few holes.
Other Thoughts: The pro-shop is awesome. Very friendly staff and average pricing on their equipment.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7