Live Oak, FL
Magnolia DGC Share
Uploaded By: denny ritner Hole #7 (Taken 5/2011)

Share URL:

Enchanting

1    6/23/2017   8/4/2017
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (4.002 Rating) Beautifully carved fairways and a Shrine to the Disc Gods. Magnolia, AKA Suwannee, is among the best courses in the State of Florida.
- SHOT SHAPING - The fairways that are cut thru this majestic forest, are among the purest lines I've ever played. Most of the holes have a well defined ideal angle to attack. In addition, several of these holes also offer secondary tighter lines with better looks at the basket. You will definitely have to release at the right speed and angle, and make sure the ending curves correctly to avoid the thousands of trees in play. Players with good technique and precision will love this course.
- CHALLENGING - The back tees at Magnolia is one of the more challenging layouts you'll see in Florida, which is why I played the front tees. This course is stacked with tight but fair drives to hit. Your average 950 rated advanced player will probably struggle to maintain course par from the back tees. Intermediate players should play the reds. Some newer rec players will be overwhelmed by this course.
- TEES - Among the better tees I've played on. Long and at least 6 feet wide.
- CHARACTER - In addition to the tees, there's a bunch of other course extras on this course. There are tee signs at both the blue and red tees describing the layout of the hole and the distance. There are multiple basket placements at just about every hole. You'll also find benches at every hole. Hole (3) has some sort of eclectic disc golf shrine, among the oddest things I've ever seen on a disc golf course. I didn't see a practice basket and the baskets are starting to show their age a bit.
- RAW BEAUTY - Stunning. Among my top 5 most beautiful courses I've played in Florida (97 Florida courses played as of this review) Fully wooded, vibrant vegetation and superb natural fauna. In addition, some of the fairway designs are picture book material .
- NAVIGATION - Near flawless. I was pretty nervous showing up here solo, first timer and only with a very diagrammatic map. I left very surprised by how effortless it was to follow this layout. Lots of well-placed directional cues between holes. Still however, it would be nice to get an updated course map and post it on site. Hole signage could also use an updating and include next tee directions within them.
- CHILL AREAS - The entire course is secluded and has an overall Zen feel. There is shaded seating at all of the tee areas.
- LOCATION - located on music festival grounds. Come for the music or come for the disc golf, its win win with this place.
Cons: I don't have any complaints of substance other than the availably to play it.
- AVAILIBILTY - Magnolia can be hard to get into. It shuts down for only festival goers during the larger events, and will also close the gates at around 5pm on other days. I showed up at 5:05 on a Friday and the gate employee was kind enough to let me in anyways. Thank you again kind sir.
- FORGIVENESS - Don't miss your line, this place with rough you up when stray from the beaten path. I may have scored a few birdies here and there, but I still hit a tree on over half of the holes. Ricochets in the wrong direction can be quite punishing, and will sometimes result in a shot without a look anywhere near the basket.
- SKILL LEVEL FRIENDLY - Way too difficult for beginners and many recreational players. I could also see higher skill leveled players not preferring this course if they don't like heavily wooded technical courses. Heritage Park located 8 miles farther south in Live Oak, is a much more forgiving course.
- OVERGROWTH - I played in late June and the overgrowth was extremely heavy in areas but not unbearable. I seemed to me that the overgrowth must get beat back from time to time because a few holes looked really thinned out on the perimeters.
- BUGS/TICKS - Wow were they bad. I must say however I probably played at a bad time. The course had gotten 20 inches of rain over a 2 week time period just prior to my visit.
- POISON IVY - I saw it a couple times when I strayed well off fairway. My guess is that it's in several locations all along the layout.
- UNIQUENESS - Above average, However for courses I've rated this high, its less than you'd think. To start, 18 very technical wooded shots. There is no water along the course to force a line. The most elevation on any one hole is about 15 feet on (9). No par 5s. There is however a plethora of tunnel shots, like 18 of them. Baskets pocket left, right and straight and there are a few dogleg 4s as well.
- SIGNATURE HOLE - Lots of really good holes and also a few great holes. However, nothing here blew me away like the holes at nearby Tom Brown in Tally or New World in Jacksonville.
- PARKING - It takes awhile to find parking as it seems that everyplace near the courset, is a tow away zone. I parked by the outpost store a good 500 foot walk away from (1).
Other Thoughts: I showed up at Magnolia after a string of massive downpours and had to deal with 3 flooded fairways (2, 9 and 10). Fortunately I was able to make some navigational magic happen and I played all 18 despite making 1,000 foot detours to avoid a foot of standing water in some cases. In conclusion, Magnolia is just a wonderful place. I would not call myself a fan of courses with 18 heavily wooded holes, but Magnolia has done it right. I may just take up camping, so I can enjoy this gem a few more times over a weekend.

Disc Jam #12

2-4    2/22/2015   3/7/2015
Review By: matt13f85
Pros: Minor elevation change of North Florida is incorporated in the course design really well.
The course really is technically challenging and has 8 par 4 holes that will make you beat up discs.

I highly recommend the course and Disc Jam(all of them) to everyone and anyone looking for a guaranteed great time playing disc golf, listening to music and camping.
Cons: Not all the baskets are the same.
Some flooding can occur so bag an extra towel just in case you need it.
Not close enough to my house.
..the disc jams aren't held often enough.....?
Other Thoughts: Go to Disc Jam at Spirit of the Suwanee Music Park on Magnolia field. Wahoo and Patty are amazing hosts and put together and awesome event 3 times a year. It is a cheap unsanctioned 2 day tournament that is a lot of fun.

5+    11/24/2014   11/25/2014
Review By: mega_man_madden
Pros: This is my home course and I'm probably a little biased here, but I fell in love with this course the moment I stepped foot on the first tee pad. I started playing disc golf a little over a year ago and I learned how to play on this course. Which I find to be a great thing since I feel like I can play any course with confidence since I started at the Maggie.

Very beautiful course. Lots of trees and lots of local routes to find, which adds a certain degree of fun. It is the only course that I've played where there can be players throwing on every hole but you feel like you have the entire course to yourself.

Beautiful scenery, laid-back atmosphere, and occasional wild life. The back 9 homes several owls that are local in the area, so you will hear some hooting going on from time to time, which I find very cool.

Every hole is a challenge whether you're playing from the red or blue pads. No hole is a gimme out here and Maggie will make you work hard for you birds and pars.

Country store, bathrooms, cafe are all right there by the course if you need a break after you finish the front 9.

Very nice continuity to the course, it flows very wonderfully. You're never pondering how to get to the next hole. They're all one right after another.

Very accurate tee signs and maps and if you're a fan of The Greattful Dead, then you will be pleased to find some song lyrics on the tee signs as well.
Cons: Playing the Maggie during summer time can be a bit of a pain. It gets very hot and humid here in north Fla, so make sure you bring plenty of water and bug spray. Mosquitos are very bad here and you will get swarmed.

The foliage during the summer time can be troublesome as well. It gets very thick and dense, so paying attention to where your disc lands in the rough is very important!

North Fla is home to several poisonous snakes and they do tend to find themselves on the course occasionally. Don't be brave and try to kill, harm the snakes or try to move them. Don't pose a threat to them and they won't pose a threat to you. They are a part of nature and the course is built around their home, so please be mindful of that. The Maggie is home to many golden silk orb weavers (Banana spiders). They are a non-poisonous species of spiders and they pose no threat to anyone! Granted they are large in size and look very menacing, but they are completely harmless. They do keep the mosquito population at a minimum, so they serve a purpose to the course. PLEASE DO NOT HARM THEM AT ALL!!!!

You do have to pay to enter the park but it is a very small fee for the tremendous amount of fun you will have playing the Maggie.

One last "con" and this is a big one for me. The Festivals. If you want to play a round during festival time, then you need to make sure you are a ticket holder for said festival, if not , then you would have to pay an entrance fee of somewhere between $70-$90 just to get in to play for a day pass. During some festivals, the park allows camping on the course itself and the festival goers tend to trash the course afterwards. It doesn't happen often, so not that big of a concern.
Other Thoughts: This is a very tough course for newbies and will get very frustrating at times, but there is a lot of risk/reward factored into the course and getting that first bird of the day is well worth the effort you will put in.

I am proud to call Maggie my home course and you will be proud to say you threw this course after surviving the 18 holes it has to offer.

Do yourself the favor and check this place out. WELL WORTH IT!!!!!

Magnolia DGC

5+    5/5/2014   5/5/2014
Review By: Peter S
This review was updated on 12/8/2016
Pros: Fun woods course. Plays mostly in the shade through a mix of open trees and tight trees. Long and short cement tees with good signs. Country store with restroom, snacks, drinks and discs by parking area. Baskets are in good shape. Considered by many to be one of the better courses in Florida due to the challenge and slight elevation on some holes.
Cons: Holds water in a few low spots and you never know what the conditions may be like. Watch out for the disc eating bog on hole 2 and 8 during rainy season. Lots of rough with thorns just off most fairways.
Other Thoughts: Plays very different in summer and winter. Grass gets very high in summer & rough is very rough. Also tends to be wet in summer. A real treat in winter.
Rating: I call it a 3.5 in summer as it often gets to rough to a 4 or 4.5 in winter.

Magnolia DGC

1    12/23/2013   4/28/2014
Review By: craigd
This review was updated on 6/23/2014
Pros: As disc golfers, most of us are always on a quest to play as many courses as possible. Some are good and some are not so good. But occasionally we'll run across a real gem and it keeps the quest alive. And so it was at the Magnolia course at The Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park. What a treat. From the minute I pulled through the gate until the time I left, I just felt like this was a very special place.

Upon entering the park we were greeted by friendly staff who happily pointed the way to the course. There's a fee to play the course but it's small enough to be affordable for those with even the most modest means. The kiosk with the Magnolia course logo welcomed us near hole one as our anticipation built. We made a quick pre-round decision to play the long pads and we were off.

Hole one's tight shot through the trees with a tough line was a pretty good introduction to what proved to be a challenging woods course. A steady dose of relentless, tight and long fairways punctuate the course with only a few shorter breather holes. There's a thoughtful design throughout the course with strait, left and right turning, and even some "S" fairways. There's not a lot of elevation changes along the course but with the challenge it presents you'll hardly notice. Precise shot selection and execution are a must to score well and halfhearted shots will surely be punished. Although at times luck can help, don't count on it. Bad choices will add to your score quickly.

Tee signs are on every hole with a map of the hole and distances. Obviously a Grateful Dead fan had something to do with them as each hole is fittingly named for a Dead tune. Duel pads, both being concrete, lend themselves to the diversity to the course as far as difficulty goes. Although I've only played the long pads, looking at the shorter tees gave me the impression that they could certainly shave off some strokes as opposed the longer choice. Multiple pin placements will also keep things fresh. Trash cans and benches were plentiful and were a welcomed addition. Probably one of the biggest treats is just the beauty of the course and the atmosphere of the park. It's just one of those things you can't really describe. It's just a great place to be and a great place to play.

Just off the course you'll find bathrooms, an eatery, a pro shop and even a convenience shop. You'll have everything on site that you'll need to round out your visit.
Cons: I'd have to really struggle to come up with any major cons here. I played this course in December so I didn't have any issues but evidently insects are a problem in the summer.

If wooded courses aren't your thing you may leave disappointed by not having any wide open bomber shots.
Other Thoughts: I had a higher expectation than normal coming to this course based on some stories from others along with some good reviews and I was not disappointed. It's a quick stop right off the interstate if you are passing through and makes a great place to take a breather if you are traveling. Similarly, The Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park & Campground makes a great overnight stop or even a weekend trip. The Park has lots to offer to keep you busy while not playing golf.

As others have mentioned the music festivals could close the park if you are not a ticket holder. It'd be worth a call to make sure the course is open before making a long trip to play the course.

Gotta visit this one

2-4    9/16/2013   9/18/2013
Review By: koak1958
Pros: Every other review was right. If you have never been go spend a couple days. Quite a place. Great Disc Golf -Laid Back atmosphere.
Cons: Naturally your in the south, very hot even in mid September. Lots of bugs
Other Thoughts: Great job of keeping under growth down so you can find a disc.

Suwanee Open

2-4    1/15/2013   2/9/2013
Review By: Snailpowered
Pros: I played at the Suwanee Open in 2013 and I have to say that this is a Fantastic Course! In my opinion one of the top 5 in Florida. The course was extremely well kept (tho this was during a tournament) and the signs were well marked. As previously posted I would load your bad with Mids and maybe two drivers.
The park that the course is located in was great; clean, friendly, and easy to find. I would recommend taking a couple of days and spending some time in the park camping. Play the short pads the first day and longs the second so that you become familiar with the hole layouts.
Cons: Course calls for a Par 62, but a fair portion of the par 4's could and probably should be played as 3's; at least from the short pads. Distance on Pin placement seemed a bit off.
Other Thoughts: This was a great course and I hope to return here next year for the 2014 Suwanee Open. A word of advice for RHBH throwers... have a solid Anhyzer shot, good flick, or stellar turnover shot. If there is a type of shot that youre not comfortable with this course will exploit it... which I believe will make you a better rounded player.

There is also a dog memorial on hole .....3? I believe. So if your coming in from out of town a little gift would be cool, I know next time im leaving a home course mini marker.

Gorgeousity

1    4/10/2012   4/10/2012
Review By: Jesterian
Pros: Beautiful course in the North Florida Woods. I played it from the long tees which are certainly challenging considering the fairways. Many tee shots require very precise placement in order to have a clear upshot or putt. On the par 4s you are very very unlikely to eagle without hitting a field ace. On a whole, this course is challenging and enjoyable
Cons: I do enjoy variety in a disc golf course which this one is somewhat lacking in. It is all tight fairways.
Other Thoughts: Would definitely play again if I got the chance!

Great Discing and a Whole Lot More!!

1    12/30/2011   2/4/2012
Review By: BogeyNoMore
This review was updated on 2/11/2012
Pros: Charming course on private property with public access.
Lots of challenging, well wooded fairways requiring control and finesse. Great variety given the land its on: nice mix of distances. Many fairways shaped to offer a choice of lines, with some forcing pretty much only one, but always requiring good execution whatever line you choose.
Dual red/blue pads genuinely offer amateur vs. pro challenge.
Tee posts with hole # and distance for both the red and blue tees help you find the next tee, and feature song lyrics; adds a nice touch IMO (someone really appreciates Jerry Garcia's work).
Well laid out, nice flow from basket to next tee.
Benches and trash cans throughout the course.
Great location: with no other courses within 40 miles or so, Magnolia is kind of an oasis in a bit of DG desert. When you consider that this place really does attract people for lots of other activities, it's particularly well located to bring disc golf to people who might not otherwise know it exists.
Plenty of shade to help beat the heat when the temp rises.
Restrooms, food and lots of extras on site (see other thoughts).
Cons: Although the course is laid out in a nicely wooded, aesthetically pleasing section of the park, this parcel of land has its limitations. My only real knock on the course has more to do with the land than the design or layout, and I give the designer props for getting the most out of what he had to work with.
With wooded hole after wooded hole, Magnolia starts to feel a bit repetitive towards the latter part of a round.
Essentially flat, only a few holes featured a modest elevation change.
The combination of these attributes make the course seem a bit one dimensional. A couple of more open holes, an uphill or downhill shot, and some rollaway greens that increase risk reward would spice things up a bit and make for a more complete disc golf experience. For this reason alone, I can't say the course itself is excellent (4.0), but there's no denying it's very good (3.5).
Other Thoughts: Spirit of Suwannee Music Park offers great disc golf and a whole lot more. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for road trippers with family members who aren't that into disc golf. Check out their website for a complete listingof things to do here: http://www.musicliveshere.com...thingstodo.php

I'll just mention a few key extras here:
General Store a short walk from the 1st tee, 18th basket (stop here for score cards).
RV and tent campgrounds on site with bathhouse and semi/private showers.
Cafe and music hall near the course. After a round, you can stop in for a bite, dancing and entertainment.

SOS's charm, atmosphere, convenience and amenities help make a very good course an excellent place to play, and IMO, are worth an extra 1/2 disc in its rating.

Great Course!!!!

1    10/29/2010   11/7/2011
Review By: kfellmy
Pros: Two dollars to play a course during the week that I had it all to myself. Hard to play. All types of shots are required...as a novice I learned plenty this day. Some long holes and some short. Really a great variety of hole types. A few low canopy shots where you are on an elevated tee pad. It's a bear from the long tees and slightly less bearish on the shorter tees. I enjoyed this course for the most part.
Cons: Cons are: some difficult navigation from hole 7 to hole 8 if I remember right. I didn't see any signs to the next tee. I read the reviews that this has been fixed. Only other con was yellow jackets. I can't remember what hole but when I reached for my disc I got jabbed three times. My disc landed right on top of their nest.
Other Thoughts: While returning back to Florida from Memphis I decided to disc golf my way home. This was one of the stops. It's been a year ago and I should have written this earlier but never got around to it (or writing my trip report also). This was one of my favorite courses. I just wish it was closer to Cape Coral.