Live Oak, FL
Magnolia DGC Share
Uploaded By: denny ritner Hole #13 (Taken 5/2011)
Hole #13 Approach

Share URL:

Suwanee Open

2-4    1/15/2013   2/9/2013
Review By: Snailpowered
Pros: I played at the Suwanee Open in 2013 and I have to say that this is a Fantastic Course! In my opinion one of the top 5 in Florida. The course was extremely well kept (tho this was during a tournament) and the signs were well marked. As previously posted I would load your bad with Mids and maybe two drivers.
The park that the course is located in was great; clean, friendly, and easy to find. I would recommend taking a couple of days and spending some time in the park camping. Play the short pads the first day and longs the second so that you become familiar with the hole layouts.
Cons: Course calls for a Par 62, but a fair portion of the par 4's could and probably should be played as 3's; at least from the short pads. Distance on Pin placement seemed a bit off.
Other Thoughts: This was a great course and I hope to return here next year for the 2014 Suwanee Open. A word of advice for RHBH throwers... have a solid Anhyzer shot, good flick, or stellar turnover shot. If there is a type of shot that youre not comfortable with this course will exploit it... which I believe will make you a better rounded player.

There is also a dog memorial on hole .....3? I believe. So if your coming in from out of town a little gift would be cool, I know next time im leaving a home course mini marker.

PLAY THIS COURSE

5+    1/26/2013   2/1/2013
Review By: Barenakedreterd
Pros: Great park! not just the disc golf park but the entire place. A great mix of shots. you can go out there and have a good time shooting under par from the am pads or you can go test every shot in your bag from the blues. so many Beautiful shots everywhere you look.
Cons: Cant think of many. some of the tee boxes seem to be facing in the wrong direction for the way the fairways go but other then that its all gravy

Still beautiful course during wintertime.

2-4    1/27/2013   1/31/2013
Review By: MaxUFC
This review was updated on 1/28/2016
Pros: I enjoyed there....not hard to fellow hole to hole. There are plenty of benches and baskets and 2 sets of tee pads per hole. The course is very wooded and the front pads are relatively tough with a number of shorter finesse holes that will give the average player a shot at some birdies. The back pads are much tougher and should challenge even the best players
Cons: In the summer months ticks and huge banana spiders are in abundance. It can be oppressively hot in the summer when the air's still. The course gets overgrown in the summer. The optimal playing season is October through June.
Other Thoughts: Will going there again....to check them out during summertime.

This is a fine discination

1    1/19/2013   1/21/2013
Review By: Chuck6995
Pros: this course is very fun to play from either set of tee pads, the signage is is clear and very accurate. two sets of tees on each hole with trash cans and benches. The front nine you get the mach 3 baskets as targets then on the back nine are innova disc catcher. Both front and back have a good mix of left to right and right to left doglegs thru-out the course,very enjoyable!!
Cons: no real real cons here, the people are friendly and willing to help in every way
Other Thoughts: I cant imagine how bad the bugs are in the summer but being from south east Georgia with sand nats and mosquitoes i would recommend bug spray here

Technical!

1    1/14/2013   1/15/2013
Review By: larrod25
Pros: Nice property with previously mentioned store, bathrooms, and restaurant. The store has discs, but not really a selection. More like souvenirs with the course stamp.

Two good size concrete pads, tee signs, benches, and trash cans on every hole.

When I played there was no water or mosquitoes on the course. Overall it was in excellent condition, and navigation was very easy. Almost impossible to lose a disc.

Holes 2 and 18 are fantastic golf holes! If there were more holes like these, this would be an amazing course.
Cons: Distances on tee signs not correct for many holes, and the distances listed here are not correct. I think this is due to baskets being moved around, but it was difficult to judge the distances on several holes.

The red tees were way too short - at least 4 holes under 200 feet, and about half the holes were under 230. The real issue is that there was almost no line to the basket on several of these short holes.

I originally intended to play the blue tees, as the distance listed seemed more challenging. However, after standing on the first pad, I passed. The gaps (if you can call them that) are NARROW! Look at the picture of the teebox for hole 1. That is a 10 ft. gap at 75ft, on a 315ft. hole that turns right at the end. RHBH is impossible, maybe a RHFH if you have incredible control. It does not get easier from there.
Other Thoughts: This is an incredibly technical course. Leave your drivers in the car. You will need your driving putter and mid-range discs. There are maybe 4 or 5 holes that are long/open enough for a Teebird.

Overall, this was enjoyable round. I would not rank this course as high as many previous reviewers, and I would not drive from far away to play here. If you are passing through the area it is worth a stop. I think the locals must have all given this one some great reviews, as I can't imagine that passers through are rating this course over 4 stars.

Spectacular

2-4    12/23/2012   12/24/2012
Review By: sosdgc
Pros: This course is amazing. It has everything you could possibly need right there in the park, store(which sells discs), restaurant and camping available. There are 2 sets of tees and they are both challenging in their own right. There are benches on all the short tees and most of the longs, lots of trash cans which makes this course one of the cleanest I have ever played. This is definitely my favorite course in Florida.
Cons: The mosquitos can be pretty bad in the summer months, not so bad this time of year. There can be some flooding during the rainy season which can make it difficult to play.

best ive played

5+    12/12/2012   12/12/2012
Review By: chrisdefiant
Pros:
I've played some of the best courses in the country and this is my favorite hands down. Two sets of concrete pads and bench on each hole. Two pin locations on the back 9 and a second location on the front 9 coming soon. Very challenging long pads. Well maintained course. (Hard to find even a cigarette butt on the course!) Lots of old pine, oak, and magnolia trees throughout the course. Lots of garbage cans. Amenities are in the park abundant including primitive, full hookup, and cabin camping. Country store with beer, food and discs for sale. (Country store also rents golf carts) Cafe with good food and reasonable prices. And both within 300 feet of hole 1! Don't forget to check out the pizza and ice cream shop in front of the country store...best pizza in suwannee county! Beautiful beach on the suwannee for cooling off.
Cons: Sometimes the park has music festivals and the course is only accessible to patrons of the festival. Call ahead if travelling any distance.

Paid to get bitten by mosquitoes

1    10/9/2012   10/9/2012
Review By: thisdoesfine
Pros: I drove here for a birthday present to myself. I chose up to 300 miles from my house and chose the top rated course to go play. Unfortunately, I do not believe the hype.

Concrete pads are nice but weren't kept up and some blended in with the ground itself.

The layout is good, although I didn't know there was water or I wouldn't have come.

Very technical, and I enjoyed the challenge.... NOT beginner friendly.

Amenities on site are nice, although it seemed a bit creepy when we were there. We originally thought about staying a night and playing again but decided strongly against that.

Cons: The description led me astray. First off, it didn't say it was a pay course and we fumbled for money.

Second, it doesn't list water hazards as being in play and there are some NASTY water hazards breeding zillions of mosquitoes.

The water hazards do appear to be rain water, deep rain water that algae has formed on, so it's there a while, but the majority of the course we were walking through mud. They have even put some wood planks around the course to get you out of the mud. Sad because without that, the course does seem peaceful and enjoyable. -side note, I wouldn't dare go in the water to get a disc

Continuing on the mosquitoes, we put deep woods deet on and continued to get blasted by them. At one point I was shooing off 10 of them from my girlfriend's back (no exaggeration) I read a review that says to go in the winter, in my opinion DO NOT GO IN THE SUMMER if it is like it was in Oct 2012. I live in FL and I cannot believe how bad they were. It really ruined my experience of the course that may have been otherwise pleasant. I spent all my non throwing time itching or defending my family from mosquitoes.

Other Thoughts: I'm glad the local course to me doesn't breed mosquitoes like this one does. We have mosquitoes b/c we're in FL but all that standing, mucky algae water... they should put something in it to keep the mosquitoes from breeding or close the course during those times. At least don't charge people.

Date: 11/6/2012 Designer Response by: denny ritner
This reviewer unfortunately played the course following a 100 year flood event which swamped the entire county. As a result of the freak flooding, the mosquitoes were indeed terrible. This does not happen on a regular basis. It is our hope that the reviewer will have the chance to return to the course and enjoy it under dry conditions and update his review accordingly.

We do apologize that we weren't more on top of accurately updating the course conditions information and will work hard to keep this more up-to-date in the future.

In regards to the comment "NOT beginner friendly", we strongly disagree. The course has two sets of tees and the navigation directs first-time players intuitively to the shorter tees. The park hosts many music festivals each year and many players play their very first games of disc golf ever on this course. The walk through the woods is beautiful, the fairways are fair, the navigation is completely intuitive, the rough is light 8 months out of the year, the course is adorned with many cool pieces of local color, the locals are very friendly,and you can play while hearing music from the amphitheater wafting through the woods.

Best Golf Course

5+    7/4/2012   9/11/2012
Review By: caveman
Pros: Every hole has a concrete tee-pads, signs, the course is very well maintained by amazing disc golfers.
Cons: During the summer its hot and lots of mosquitoes, poison ivy.
Other Thoughts: The greatest disc golf course in the world !!!!

Wonderful Woods

5+    9/3/2012   9/9/2012
Review By: tree calculated
Pros: 2 sets of concrete tee pads for every hole. Course design is great, whether you play first 9 or back 9 you end up back at parking area after 9 holes. Park offers many amenities, cafe, country store (with discs for sale with park stamp on them), bathrooms, etc. Mostly wooded so it offers lots of shade. Challenging course at any skill level. Garbage cans throughout course so it is very clean. Benches at all the short tees and most of the long tees and some picnic tables in there too. An occasional beer or two is not frowned upon and pets are welcome as well. Every hole is named after a Grateful Dead song with the lyrics on the tee signs. There are not many other parks that offer as much as the SOSMP, golf carts, canoeing on the Suwannee, bicycle rentals, miniature golf, cabin rentals, etc. and the most awesome disc golf course in Florida.
Cons: There are not many cons here at the SOSMP. The mosquitoes and bugs can be pretty bad in the summer months but that is part of Florida.
Other Thoughts: Be sure to check the event schedule for the park. Their are many big festivals throughout the year.