Live Oak, FL
Magnolia DGC Share
Uploaded By: denny ritner Hole #8 (Taken 5/2011)
Hole #8 Blue Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Enchanting

1    6/23/2017   8/4/2017
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (4.002 Rating) Beautifully carved fairways and a Shrine to the Disc Gods. Magnolia, AKA Suwannee, is among the best courses in the State of Florida.
- SHOT SHAPING - The fairways that are cut thru this majestic forest, are among the purest lines I've ever played. Most of the holes have a well defined ideal angle to attack. In addition, several of these holes also offer secondary tighter lines with better looks at the basket. You will definitely have to release at the right speed and angle, and make sure the ending curves correctly to avoid the thousands of trees in play. Players with good technique and precision will love this course.
- CHALLENGING - The back tees at Magnolia is one of the more challenging layouts you'll see in Florida, which is why I played the front tees. This course is stacked with tight but fair drives to hit. Your average 950 rated advanced player will probably struggle to maintain course par from the back tees. Intermediate players should play the reds. Some newer rec players will be overwhelmed by this course.
- TEES - Among the better tees I've played on. Long and at least 6 feet wide.
- CHARACTER - In addition to the tees, there's a bunch of other course extras on this course. There are tee signs at both the blue and red tees describing the layout of the hole and the distance. There are multiple basket placements at just about every hole. You'll also find benches at every hole. Hole (3) has some sort of eclectic disc golf shrine, among the oddest things I've ever seen on a disc golf course. I didn't see a practice basket and the baskets are starting to show their age a bit.
- RAW BEAUTY - Stunning. Among my top 5 most beautiful courses I've played in Florida (97 Florida courses played as of this review) Fully wooded, vibrant vegetation and superb natural fauna. In addition, some of the fairway designs are picture book material .
- NAVIGATION - Near flawless. I was pretty nervous showing up here solo, first timer and only with a very diagrammatic map. I left very surprised by how effortless it was to follow this layout. Lots of well-placed directional cues between holes. Still however, it would be nice to get an updated course map and post it on site. Hole signage could also use an updating and include next tee directions within them.
- CHILL AREAS - The entire course is secluded and has an overall Zen feel. There is shaded seating at all of the tee areas.
- LOCATION - located on music festival grounds. Come for the music or come for the disc golf, its win win with this place.
Cons: I don't have any complaints of substance other than the availably to play it.
- AVAILIBILTY - Magnolia can be hard to get into. It shuts down for only festival goers during the larger events, and will also close the gates at around 5pm on other days. I showed up at 5:05 on a Friday and the gate employee was kind enough to let me in anyways. Thank you again kind sir.
- FORGIVENESS - Don't miss your line, this place with rough you up when stray from the beaten path. I may have scored a few birdies here and there, but I still hit a tree on over half of the holes. Ricochets in the wrong direction can be quite punishing, and will sometimes result in a shot without a look anywhere near the basket.
- SKILL LEVEL FRIENDLY - Way too difficult for beginners and many recreational players. I could also see higher skill leveled players not preferring this course if they don't like heavily wooded technical courses. Heritage Park located 8 miles farther south in Live Oak, is a much more forgiving course.
- OVERGROWTH - I played in late June and the overgrowth was extremely heavy in areas but not unbearable. I seemed to me that the overgrowth must get beat back from time to time because a few holes looked really thinned out on the perimeters.
- BUGS/TICKS - Wow were they bad. I must say however I probably played at a bad time. The course had gotten 20 inches of rain over a 2 week time period just prior to my visit.
- POISON IVY - I saw it a couple times when I strayed well off fairway. My guess is that it's in several locations all along the layout.
- UNIQUENESS - Above average, However for courses I've rated this high, its less than you'd think. To start, 18 very technical wooded shots. There is no water along the course to force a line. The most elevation on any one hole is about 15 feet on (9). No par 5s. There is however a plethora of tunnel shots, like 18 of them. Baskets pocket left, right and straight and there are a few dogleg 4s as well.
- SIGNATURE HOLE - Lots of really good holes and also a few great holes. However, nothing here blew me away like the holes at nearby Tom Brown in Tally or New World in Jacksonville.
- PARKING - It takes awhile to find parking as it seems that everyplace near the courset, is a tow away zone. I parked by the outpost store a good 500 foot walk away from (1).
Other Thoughts: I showed up at Magnolia after a string of massive downpours and had to deal with 3 flooded fairways (2, 9 and 10). Fortunately I was able to make some navigational magic happen and I played all 18 despite making 1,000 foot detours to avoid a foot of standing water in some cases. In conclusion, Magnolia is just a wonderful place. I would not call myself a fan of courses with 18 heavily wooded holes, but Magnolia has done it right. I may just take up camping, so I can enjoy this gem a few more times over a weekend.

A must play!

2-4    12/11/2016   12/12/2016
Review By: Rockyraccoon
Pros: -Practice basket.
-Two concrete tees.
-Multiple pin placements.
-Benches at every tee.
-Trash cans throughout course.
-Great signage and trails are easy to follow.
-Lot's of variety in every hole, requiring a good repertoire of shots.
-A lot of shade due to the beautiful live oaks.
-Clean restroom beside course.
-General store (with some discs) beside course.
Cons: -Parking. The parking situation is very confusing if you're new to the park. There are literally "No Parking" or "Towed at owners expense" signs everywhere around the course. I was told by staff that the best place to park is beside the cart storage building near hole #1.

-Bugs. This is an unfortunate fact of life in north Florida. So it's not really a knock on the course.....just be prepared with spray and appropriate clothing.

-The "Rough" is punishing if you get in it. Especially in the summer. Thorns are a main concern and are present almost everywhere that's not well worn by foot traffic.
Other Thoughts: This course is pure disc golf magic. Tough and challenging, full of risk/reward shots and a joy to play. I wish it were closer to Tennessee. Luckily, it's along the way to my fathers in north Florida and I visit it every time I drive though. North Florida isn't blessed with a lot of courses....in fact, the west coast between Tallahassee and Gainesville has ZERO. This course is incredible and is a MUST STOP for any disc golfers in the area.

Disc Jam #12

2-4    2/22/2015   3/7/2015
Review By: matt13f85
Pros: Minor elevation change of North Florida is incorporated in the course design really well.
The course really is technically challenging and has 8 par 4 holes that will make you beat up discs.

I highly recommend the course and Disc Jam(all of them) to everyone and anyone looking for a guaranteed great time playing disc golf, listening to music and camping.
Cons: Not all the baskets are the same.
Some flooding can occur so bag an extra towel just in case you need it.
Not close enough to my house.
..the disc jams aren't held often enough.....?
Other Thoughts: Go to Disc Jam at Spirit of the Suwanee Music Park on Magnolia field. Wahoo and Patty are amazing hosts and put together and awesome event 3 times a year. It is a cheap unsanctioned 2 day tournament that is a lot of fun.

The course we knew Florida had.....we just had to find it.

1    1/5/2015   1/7/2015
Review By: soft focus
Pros: It feels like this course was designed by a good golfer....always a plus...Each hole is different and fun. The long tees are placed at what felt like perfect lengths to test your game. Great tees and signage...got here a little before dark and navigated it without issue.
Cons: It's not closer to my house.
Other Thoughts: If this place was near me I wouldn't play half the courses I do now. I only got to make it through 1time but the course is still in my thoughts.. It's a gem.. You have to play it!

5+    11/24/2014   11/25/2014
Review By: mega_man_madden
Pros: This is my home course and I'm probably a little biased here, but I fell in love with this course the moment I stepped foot on the first tee pad. I started playing disc golf a little over a year ago and I learned how to play on this course. Which I find to be a great thing since I feel like I can play any course with confidence since I started at the Maggie.

Very beautiful course. Lots of trees and lots of local routes to find, which adds a certain degree of fun. It is the only course that I've played where there can be players throwing on every hole but you feel like you have the entire course to yourself.

Beautiful scenery, laid-back atmosphere, and occasional wild life. The back 9 homes several owls that are local in the area, so you will hear some hooting going on from time to time, which I find very cool.

Every hole is a challenge whether you're playing from the red or blue pads. No hole is a gimme out here and Maggie will make you work hard for you birds and pars.

Country store, bathrooms, cafe are all right there by the course if you need a break after you finish the front 9.

Very nice continuity to the course, it flows very wonderfully. You're never pondering how to get to the next hole. They're all one right after another.

Very accurate tee signs and maps and if you're a fan of The Greattful Dead, then you will be pleased to find some song lyrics on the tee signs as well.
Cons: Playing the Maggie during summer time can be a bit of a pain. It gets very hot and humid here in north Fla, so make sure you bring plenty of water and bug spray. Mosquitos are very bad here and you will get swarmed.

The foliage during the summer time can be troublesome as well. It gets very thick and dense, so paying attention to where your disc lands in the rough is very important!

North Fla is home to several poisonous snakes and they do tend to find themselves on the course occasionally. Don't be brave and try to kill, harm the snakes or try to move them. Don't pose a threat to them and they won't pose a threat to you. They are a part of nature and the course is built around their home, so please be mindful of that. The Maggie is home to many golden silk orb weavers (Banana spiders). They are a non-poisonous species of spiders and they pose no threat to anyone! Granted they are large in size and look very menacing, but they are completely harmless. They do keep the mosquito population at a minimum, so they serve a purpose to the course. PLEASE DO NOT HARM THEM AT ALL!!!!

You do have to pay to enter the park but it is a very small fee for the tremendous amount of fun you will have playing the Maggie.

One last "con" and this is a big one for me. The Festivals. If you want to play a round during festival time, then you need to make sure you are a ticket holder for said festival, if not , then you would have to pay an entrance fee of somewhere between $70-$90 just to get in to play for a day pass. During some festivals, the park allows camping on the course itself and the festival goers tend to trash the course afterwards. It doesn't happen often, so not that big of a concern.
Other Thoughts: This is a very tough course for newbies and will get very frustrating at times, but there is a lot of risk/reward factored into the course and getting that first bird of the day is well worth the effort you will put in.

I am proud to call Maggie my home course and you will be proud to say you threw this course after surviving the 18 holes it has to offer.

Do yourself the favor and check this place out. WELL WORTH IT!!!!!

1    6/21/2014   6/23/2014
Review By: reposado
Pros: Incredible design that makes more out of Florida terrain than I would have imagined anyone could. The problem with making wooded courses in Florida is that wooded areas tend to be very swampy. And judging from other reviews, it does get swampy here but based on my own experience, they either found a gold mine of a location or this course gets a ton of maintenance to keep the wilderness from creeping back. Looking at the rough, I'd be likely to guess the latter. These fairways are nicely carved with identifiable flight paths that while not overly tight, are narrow enough and long enough to provide significant challenge to almost anybody. Especially from the long pad. Man, those require some beastly throws.
The flow and navigation are perfect. One whole blends seamlessly into the next. Pathways from basket to tee are obvious and usually lined with branches to keep players throwing and not searching for tees. This is especially important for a course like this. It's not near a major population center but it is fairly close to the crossroads of I-10 and I-75, I'm guessing a lot of the traffic comes from discers passing through. While long, it's a fairly quick play from the red tees and as long as you don't end up in the shule, you should be back on the highway relatively quickly having experienced a high-quality round of golf.
While there is a constant look and feel, throughout the design, there is a wide variety of distances, with a bunch of par fours that really stretch the course. These holes are supplemented with shorter par threes that offer birdie ops but require technical drive to allow players a reasonable putt.
Magnolia is really my type of course. For those that like to see fairways rigidly defined, this course will bring out the best in you. When the tree line bends with the shape of the required flight-line, it helps me visualize what I want the disc to do. After a stretch of time playing park-style courses in Florida, this one is a panacea. Incredible vision. Massive achievement.
Cons: Still, while this course is very unique to the geographical region, to those that have played in North Carolina, it's not going to stand out much. I've played others like it and with more elevation, or more signature holes. This is one of those courses where everyone hole is good, but none are truly memorable. Overall a great experience, but not one that leaves you wanting to play it again immediately.
Shuletastic. Some courses have shule that is difficult to pitch out of. Others have shule that makes it hard to even find a disc. This one has shule that you don't really want to step into. That's a big part of what makes this course unfriendly to new players. There are tough courses that create a lot of scoring separation for top players but would still accommodate new throwers who want to slowly make their way through the course. I imagine newbs being miserable here, constantly high stepping through the underbrush as it gets really nasty within inches of the fairway in many places.
Other Thoughts: A course that calls for a 3.75 from me. It was a tough decision, but in the end I find it unfair to raise a course to an elite level without more elevation than is present here. Or a few carries. Or something that makes it standout. But it's one of my favorite courses in Florida, it's unique in the area and it's well worth playing for anyone that's remotely close to it.

Magnolia DGC

5+    5/5/2014   5/5/2014
Review By: Peter S
This review was updated on 12/8/2016
Pros: Fun woods course. Plays mostly in the shade through a mix of open trees and tight trees. Long and short cement tees with good signs. Country store with restroom, snacks, drinks and discs by parking area. Baskets are in good shape. Considered by many to be one of the better courses in Florida due to the challenge and slight elevation on some holes.
Cons: Holds water in a few low spots and you never know what the conditions may be like. Watch out for the disc eating bog on hole 2 and 8 during rainy season. Lots of rough with thorns just off most fairways.
Other Thoughts: Plays very different in summer and winter. Grass gets very high in summer & rough is very rough. Also tends to be wet in summer. A real treat in winter.
Rating: I call it a 3.5 in summer as it often gets to rough to a 4 or 4.5 in winter.

Magnolia DGC

1    12/23/2013   4/28/2014
Review By: craigd
This review was updated on 6/23/2014
Pros: As disc golfers, most of us are always on a quest to play as many courses as possible. Some are good and some are not so good. But occasionally we'll run across a real gem and it keeps the quest alive. And so it was at the Magnolia course at The Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park. What a treat. From the minute I pulled through the gate until the time I left, I just felt like this was a very special place.

Upon entering the park we were greeted by friendly staff who happily pointed the way to the course. There's a fee to play the course but it's small enough to be affordable for those with even the most modest means. The kiosk with the Magnolia course logo welcomed us near hole one as our anticipation built. We made a quick pre-round decision to play the long pads and we were off.

Hole one's tight shot through the trees with a tough line was a pretty good introduction to what proved to be a challenging woods course. A steady dose of relentless, tight and long fairways punctuate the course with only a few shorter breather holes. There's a thoughtful design throughout the course with strait, left and right turning, and even some "S" fairways. There's not a lot of elevation changes along the course but with the challenge it presents you'll hardly notice. Precise shot selection and execution are a must to score well and halfhearted shots will surely be punished. Although at times luck can help, don't count on it. Bad choices will add to your score quickly.

Tee signs are on every hole with a map of the hole and distances. Obviously a Grateful Dead fan had something to do with them as each hole is fittingly named for a Dead tune. Duel pads, both being concrete, lend themselves to the diversity to the course as far as difficulty goes. Although I've only played the long pads, looking at the shorter tees gave me the impression that they could certainly shave off some strokes as opposed the longer choice. Multiple pin placements will also keep things fresh. Trash cans and benches were plentiful and were a welcomed addition. Probably one of the biggest treats is just the beauty of the course and the atmosphere of the park. It's just one of those things you can't really describe. It's just a great place to be and a great place to play.

Just off the course you'll find bathrooms, an eatery, a pro shop and even a convenience shop. You'll have everything on site that you'll need to round out your visit.
Cons: I'd have to really struggle to come up with any major cons here. I played this course in December so I didn't have any issues but evidently insects are a problem in the summer.

If wooded courses aren't your thing you may leave disappointed by not having any wide open bomber shots.
Other Thoughts: I had a higher expectation than normal coming to this course based on some stories from others along with some good reviews and I was not disappointed. It's a quick stop right off the interstate if you are passing through and makes a great place to take a breather if you are traveling. Similarly, The Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park & Campground makes a great overnight stop or even a weekend trip. The Park has lots to offer to keep you busy while not playing golf.

As others have mentioned the music festivals could close the park if you are not a ticket holder. It'd be worth a call to make sure the course is open before making a long trip to play the course.

Gotta visit this one

2-4    9/16/2013   9/18/2013
Review By: koak1958
Pros: Every other review was right. If you have never been go spend a couple days. Quite a place. Great Disc Golf -Laid Back atmosphere.
Cons: Naturally your in the south, very hot even in mid September. Lots of bugs
Other Thoughts: Great job of keeping under growth down so you can find a disc.

2-4    6/30/2013   7/1/2013
Review By: holmslice
Pros: -Two tee pads, two pin locations
-benches at every tee pad
-plenty of trash cans
-Accurate hole signage and helpful directional signage
-Pro Shop, Camp store, and Cafe located at turn
-Beautiful course in a beautiful park
-Clean and Well Maintained
-Challenging
Cons: -Admission to park required
-Parts of course prone to flooding
-Heavily wooded (bugs)
Other Thoughts: This is an absolute gem of a course. Everything about it is a display of excellent design. There is a camp store which has discs for sale (among other essentials) and a cafe that sells excellent food with a full bar.

The course is pretty technical with not many wide open shots, yet the fairways are well maintained and easily identifiable. Good variety of left and right dog legs, some slight and some sharp turns. You will need a full bag of shots, flicks and hammers prove useful in many situations.

Hard to find anything to criticize about this course. The terrain can prove to be frustrating if you are having a bad day and are finding it difficult to stay on the fairway. However, the challenges provide a great sense of accomplishment when taken on. Bugs can be a problem, if mosquitos tend to really like you, take the appropriate measures. Admission to the park is required, so this is not a 'free' course.

The wooded nature also provides a unique experience. Course provides plenty of privacy, you can feel like you have the course to yourself even when there is another group on the next hole. The tree canopy also makes this course tolerable to play even on a sunny summer day, or in light rain.

There are a few low-lying areas that are prone to flooding, however most of the course stays dry even during the rainy season.

This course is a shining example of excellent design and is managed and maintained by a group who takes pride in providing an excellent experience for all those who visit. SOSMP is one of the most beautiful places in the world, a champion level disc golf course is an added bonus. If you haven't been here, check it out!

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5