Live Oak, FL
Magnolia DGC Share
Uploaded By: denny ritner Hole #9 (Taken 5/2011)
Hole #9 Blue Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
It's decent but really hard

1    3/15/2018   3/15/2018
Review By: epicrat
Pros: - Clean (little to no litter present)
- Quiet (we were the only two players on the course. Played mid-day on a Thursday)
- Locals are nice enough.
- Good signage, easy to navigate.
Cons: - Really hard. Learn to throw a putter shot and RHFH before coming here.
- Sort of in the middle of nowhere.
- Trees, literally everywhere. If you can't control the shape of your shot to some degree, don't bother coming here. Not a single open hole. 18 holes of trees 30 feet from the tee pad.
- Pay to play. At least the course was clean. If we paid $2 a person and found beer cans everywhere, it'd be a 3.0 rather than 3.5.
Other Thoughts: It's a good course, but not my cup of tea. It'd be a 4.5 if it wasn't disgustingly hard and had some degree of variation. As a Tallahassee dweller, I definitely prefer Tom Brown over this park. If you're reading this from Tallahassee, this course felt a lot like Jack McLean. Keep in mind I haven't played Jack in a couple years, but if my memory serves me correctly, it's very similar.

Legendary Florida Course

1    1/19/2018   1/20/2018
Review By: thrembo
This review was updated on 1/21/2018
Pros: Wonderful rustic wooded course with a couple of signature holes. A technical charmer, with most holes featuring tight lines and even some nice (for Florida) elevation changes. Two sets of very nice concrete tees, informative tee signs, two pin placements and plenty of benches and picnic tables. Very helpful and informative staff. The course is pretty isolated and has a very chill atmosphere. The course is set in a very cool private event facility that hosts concerts and has camping and other activities. The course is pay-to-play, but it is only $2.00 per person or $5.00 a carload. Well worth it for a course of this caliber. The trash and most of the damage from Irma is almost all cleaned up now.
Cons: Not too many cons here. There is some nasty rough right off of the sides of most fairways. Dense in places and almost all of it full of sharp thorny plants. I strongly encourage long pants and hiking shoes for this course. There are no garbage cans on the course. I'm not sure if they were blown away by Irma, or if they are trying to keep it as rustic as possible. Pack it in/Pack it out. Your discs will hit trees here. Bring sturdy plastic!
Other Thoughts: This course has taken on an almost mythological status in the state of Florida. At one time it was considered to be the best/highest rated course in the state, but newer more modern courses are challenging that assumption now. My home course is tight and technical also (NPC) so the tight wooded holes here didn't scare me off. I would still call this course a must play and it is easy to get too from I-75 or I-10, just make sure you call ahead before planning your stop, as the course will be closed if there is a major event going on. Also, This course, like most Florida courses plays much better in the winter part of the calendar than in the rainy season. This course can add water hazards to the list when the heavy rains come and the insect population will also increase during the summer months. (Florida: nine months of summer three months of winterish).

Rustic Nature Course

1    1/7/2018   1/9/2018
Review By: Mr. Butlertron
Pros:

- dual concrete tees
- dual pins
- great directional signage between holes
- challenging, punitive layout
- #1, #9, #18 all meet up at the same spot
- practice baskets
- baskets are numbered, good chain count
- camping, cafe, general store on location
- restrooms
- tranquility
Cons:

- tee signs are made from laminated sheets of paper, don't have pin indicators
- mostly flat fairways
- long and short tees are fairly similar
- many holes are heavily laden with fairway trees
- some doglegs have angles that were unreasonably sharp
- course kind of dumpy: garbage, run down tee signs, seasoned baskets, gross bathrooms
- cramped parking

Magnolia is a technical woods course located within a multi venue recreation area. The course works itself clockwise through a mildly flat trail of challenging fairways that start, meet half way through, and end at the same spot. For the most part, the fairways feature some sort of dogleg, with the exception of a couple double doglegs, or shorter straight forward fairways. They provide tons of technicality, involved decision making, and the thick thorn filled rough will punish players that fail to stay within the fairways. This, combined with a longer than average wooded hole lengths, multiple tees / pins, and relative tranquility makes Magnolia sought after location for advance player and up despite its somewhat remote location.

That being said, there are a few details that held back my rating. Overly obstructed fairway lines to the baskets, the lack of elevation, the inability to accommodate a wider range of skill levels, the absence of fairway themes, and the overall run down condition of the location took away from my experience. Throwing the same tight shots over and over again, paper tee signs, and trash all over the place are things that my personal top courses don't have.

The location services like camping, lodging, a general store, restrooms, and even a cafe are a nicety that most courses lack. The gate only accepts cash, you can use a credit card at the stores. Contrary to the location website, there is no military discount for disc golf, fyi

Enchanting

1    6/23/2017   8/4/2017
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (4.002 Rating) Beautifully carved fairways and a Shrine to the Disc Gods. Magnolia, AKA Suwannee, is among the best courses in the State of Florida.
- SHOT SHAPING - The fairways that are cut thru this majestic forest, are among the purest lines I've ever played. Most of the holes have a well defined ideal angle to attack. In addition, several of these holes also offer secondary tighter lines with better looks at the basket. You will definitely have to release at the right speed and angle, and make sure the ending curves correctly to avoid the thousands of trees in play. Players with good technique and precision will love this course.
- CHALLENGING - The back tees at Magnolia is one of the more challenging layouts you'll see in Florida, which is why I played the front tees. This course is stacked with tight but fair drives to hit. Your average 950 rated advanced player will probably struggle to maintain course par from the back tees. Intermediate players should play the reds. Some newer rec players will be overwhelmed by this course.
- TEES - Among the better tees I've played on. Long and at least 6 feet wide.
- CHARACTER - In addition to the tees, there's a bunch of other course extras on this course. There are tee signs at both the blue and red tees describing the layout of the hole and the distance. There are multiple basket placements at just about every hole. You'll also find benches at every hole. Hole (3) has some sort of eclectic disc golf shrine, among the oddest things I've ever seen on a disc golf course. I didn't see a practice basket and the baskets are starting to show their age a bit.
- RAW BEAUTY - Stunning. Among my top 5 most beautiful courses I've played in Florida (97 Florida courses played as of this review) Fully wooded, vibrant vegetation and superb natural fauna. In addition, some of the fairway designs are picture book material .
- NAVIGATION - Near flawless. I was pretty nervous showing up here solo, first timer and only with a very diagrammatic map. I left very surprised by how effortless it was to follow this layout. Lots of well-placed directional cues between holes. Still however, it would be nice to get an updated course map and post it on site. Hole signage could also use an updating and include next tee directions within them.
- CHILL AREAS - The entire course is secluded and has an overall Zen feel. There is shaded seating at all of the tee areas.
- LOCATION - located on music festival grounds. Come for the music or come for the disc golf, its win win with this place.
Cons: I don't have any complaints of substance other than the availably to play it.
- AVAILIBILTY - Magnolia can be hard to get into. It shuts down for only festival goers during the larger events, and will also close the gates at around 5pm on other days. I showed up at 5:05 on a Friday and the gate employee was kind enough to let me in anyways. Thank you again kind sir.
- FORGIVENESS - Don't miss your line, this place with rough you up when stray from the beaten path. I may have scored a few birdies here and there, but I still hit a tree on over half of the holes. Ricochets in the wrong direction can be quite punishing, and will sometimes result in a shot without a look anywhere near the basket.
- SKILL LEVEL FRIENDLY - Way too difficult for beginners and many recreational players. I could also see higher skill leveled players not preferring this course if they don't like heavily wooded technical courses. Heritage Park located 8 miles farther south in Live Oak, is a much more forgiving course.
- OVERGROWTH - I played in late June and the overgrowth was extremely heavy in areas but not unbearable. I seemed to me that the overgrowth must get beat back from time to time because a few holes looked really thinned out on the perimeters.
- BUGS/TICKS - Wow were they bad. I must say however I probably played at a bad time. The course had gotten 20 inches of rain over a 2 week time period just prior to my visit.
- POISON IVY - I saw it a couple times when I strayed well off fairway. My guess is that it's in several locations all along the layout.
- UNIQUENESS - Above average, However for courses I've rated this high, its less than you'd think. To start, 18 very technical wooded shots. There is no water along the course to force a line. The most elevation on any one hole is about 15 feet on (9). No par 5s. There is however a plethora of tunnel shots, like 18 of them. Baskets pocket left, right and straight and there are a few dogleg 4s as well.
- SIGNATURE HOLE - Lots of really good holes and also a few great holes. However, nothing here blew me away like the holes at nearby Tom Brown in Tally or New World in Jacksonville.
- PARKING - It takes awhile to find parking as it seems that everyplace near the courset, is a tow away zone. I parked by the outpost store a good 500 foot walk away from (1).
Other Thoughts: I showed up at Magnolia after a string of massive downpours and had to deal with 3 flooded fairways (2, 9 and 10). Fortunately I was able to make some navigational magic happen and I played all 18 despite making 1,000 foot detours to avoid a foot of standing water in some cases. In conclusion, Magnolia is just a wonderful place. I would not call myself a fan of courses with 18 heavily wooded holes, but Magnolia has done it right. I may just take up camping, so I can enjoy this gem a few more times over a weekend.

A must play!

2-4    12/11/2016   12/12/2016
Review By: Rockyraccoon
Pros: -Practice basket.
-Two concrete tees.
-Multiple pin placements.
-Benches at every tee.
-Trash cans throughout course.
-Great signage and trails are easy to follow.
-Lot's of variety in every hole, requiring a good repertoire of shots.
-A lot of shade due to the beautiful live oaks.
-Clean restroom beside course.
-General store (with some discs) beside course.
Cons: -Parking. The parking situation is very confusing if you're new to the park. There are literally "No Parking" or "Towed at owners expense" signs everywhere around the course. I was told by staff that the best place to park is beside the cart storage building near hole #1.

-Bugs. This is an unfortunate fact of life in north Florida. So it's not really a knock on the course.....just be prepared with spray and appropriate clothing.

-The "Rough" is punishing if you get in it. Especially in the summer. Thorns are a main concern and are present almost everywhere that's not well worn by foot traffic.
Other Thoughts: This course is pure disc golf magic. Tough and challenging, full of risk/reward shots and a joy to play. I wish it were closer to Tennessee. Luckily, it's along the way to my fathers in north Florida and I visit it every time I drive though. North Florida isn't blessed with a lot of courses....in fact, the west coast between Tallahassee and Gainesville has ZERO. This course is incredible and is a MUST STOP for any disc golfers in the area.

Disc Jam #12

2-4    2/22/2015   3/7/2015
Review By: matt13f85
Pros: Minor elevation change of North Florida is incorporated in the course design really well.
The course really is technically challenging and has 8 par 4 holes that will make you beat up discs.

I highly recommend the course and Disc Jam(all of them) to everyone and anyone looking for a guaranteed great time playing disc golf, listening to music and camping.
Cons: Not all the baskets are the same.
Some flooding can occur so bag an extra towel just in case you need it.
Not close enough to my house.
..the disc jams aren't held often enough.....?
Other Thoughts: Go to Disc Jam at Spirit of the Suwanee Music Park on Magnolia field. Wahoo and Patty are amazing hosts and put together and awesome event 3 times a year. It is a cheap unsanctioned 2 day tournament that is a lot of fun.

The course we knew Florida had.....we just had to find it.

1    1/5/2015   1/7/2015
Review By: soft focus
Pros: It feels like this course was designed by a good golfer....always a plus...Each hole is different and fun. The long tees are placed at what felt like perfect lengths to test your game. Great tees and signage...got here a little before dark and navigated it without issue.
Cons: It's not closer to my house.
Other Thoughts: If this place was near me I wouldn't play half the courses I do now. I only got to make it through 1time but the course is still in my thoughts.. It's a gem.. You have to play it!

5+    11/24/2014   11/25/2014
Review By: mega_man_madden
Pros: This is my home course and I'm probably a little biased here, but I fell in love with this course the moment I stepped foot on the first tee pad. I started playing disc golf a little over a year ago and I learned how to play on this course. Which I find to be a great thing since I feel like I can play any course with confidence since I started at the Maggie.

Very beautiful course. Lots of trees and lots of local routes to find, which adds a certain degree of fun. It is the only course that I've played where there can be players throwing on every hole but you feel like you have the entire course to yourself.

Beautiful scenery, laid-back atmosphere, and occasional wild life. The back 9 homes several owls that are local in the area, so you will hear some hooting going on from time to time, which I find very cool.

Every hole is a challenge whether you're playing from the red or blue pads. No hole is a gimme out here and Maggie will make you work hard for you birds and pars.

Country store, bathrooms, cafe are all right there by the course if you need a break after you finish the front 9.

Very nice continuity to the course, it flows very wonderfully. You're never pondering how to get to the next hole. They're all one right after another.

Very accurate tee signs and maps and if you're a fan of The Greattful Dead, then you will be pleased to find some song lyrics on the tee signs as well.
Cons: Playing the Maggie during summer time can be a bit of a pain. It gets very hot and humid here in north Fla, so make sure you bring plenty of water and bug spray. Mosquitos are very bad here and you will get swarmed.

The foliage during the summer time can be troublesome as well. It gets very thick and dense, so paying attention to where your disc lands in the rough is very important!

North Fla is home to several poisonous snakes and they do tend to find themselves on the course occasionally. Don't be brave and try to kill, harm the snakes or try to move them. Don't pose a threat to them and they won't pose a threat to you. They are a part of nature and the course is built around their home, so please be mindful of that. The Maggie is home to many golden silk orb weavers (Banana spiders). They are a non-poisonous species of spiders and they pose no threat to anyone! Granted they are large in size and look very menacing, but they are completely harmless. They do keep the mosquito population at a minimum, so they serve a purpose to the course. PLEASE DO NOT HARM THEM AT ALL!!!!

You do have to pay to enter the park but it is a very small fee for the tremendous amount of fun you will have playing the Maggie.

One last "con" and this is a big one for me. The Festivals. If you want to play a round during festival time, then you need to make sure you are a ticket holder for said festival, if not , then you would have to pay an entrance fee of somewhere between $70-$90 just to get in to play for a day pass. During some festivals, the park allows camping on the course itself and the festival goers tend to trash the course afterwards. It doesn't happen often, so not that big of a concern.
Other Thoughts: This is a very tough course for newbies and will get very frustrating at times, but there is a lot of risk/reward factored into the course and getting that first bird of the day is well worth the effort you will put in.

I am proud to call Maggie my home course and you will be proud to say you threw this course after surviving the 18 holes it has to offer.

Do yourself the favor and check this place out. WELL WORTH IT!!!!!

1    6/21/2014   6/23/2014
Review By: reposado
Pros: Incredible design that makes more out of Florida terrain than I would have imagined anyone could. The problem with making wooded courses in Florida is that wooded areas tend to be very swampy. And judging from other reviews, it does get swampy here but based on my own experience, they either found a gold mine of a location or this course gets a ton of maintenance to keep the wilderness from creeping back. Looking at the rough, I'd be likely to guess the latter. These fairways are nicely carved with identifiable flight paths that while not overly tight, are narrow enough and long enough to provide significant challenge to almost anybody. Especially from the long pad. Man, those require some beastly throws.
The flow and navigation are perfect. One whole blends seamlessly into the next. Pathways from basket to tee are obvious and usually lined with branches to keep players throwing and not searching for tees. This is especially important for a course like this. It's not near a major population center but it is fairly close to the crossroads of I-10 and I-75, I'm guessing a lot of the traffic comes from discers passing through. While long, it's a fairly quick play from the red tees and as long as you don't end up in the shule, you should be back on the highway relatively quickly having experienced a high-quality round of golf.
While there is a constant look and feel, throughout the design, there is a wide variety of distances, with a bunch of par fours that really stretch the course. These holes are supplemented with shorter par threes that offer birdie ops but require technical drive to allow players a reasonable putt.
Magnolia is really my type of course. For those that like to see fairways rigidly defined, this course will bring out the best in you. When the tree line bends with the shape of the required flight-line, it helps me visualize what I want the disc to do. After a stretch of time playing park-style courses in Florida, this one is a panacea. Incredible vision. Massive achievement.
Cons: Still, while this course is very unique to the geographical region, to those that have played in North Carolina, it's not going to stand out much. I've played others like it and with more elevation, or more signature holes. This is one of those courses where everyone hole is good, but none are truly memorable. Overall a great experience, but not one that leaves you wanting to play it again immediately.
Shuletastic. Some courses have shule that is difficult to pitch out of. Others have shule that makes it hard to even find a disc. This one has shule that you don't really want to step into. That's a big part of what makes this course unfriendly to new players. There are tough courses that create a lot of scoring separation for top players but would still accommodate new throwers who want to slowly make their way through the course. I imagine newbs being miserable here, constantly high stepping through the underbrush as it gets really nasty within inches of the fairway in many places.
Other Thoughts: A course that calls for a 3.75 from me. It was a tough decision, but in the end I find it unfair to raise a course to an elite level without more elevation than is present here. Or a few carries. Or something that makes it standout. But it's one of my favorite courses in Florida, it's unique in the area and it's well worth playing for anyone that's remotely close to it.

Magnolia DGC

5+    5/5/2014   5/5/2014
Review By: Peter S
This review was updated on 12/8/2016
Pros: Fun woods course. Plays mostly in the shade through a mix of open trees and tight trees. Long and short cement tees with good signs. Country store with restroom, snacks, drinks and discs by parking area. Baskets are in good shape. Considered by many to be one of the better courses in Florida due to the challenge and slight elevation on some holes.
Cons: Holds water in a few low spots and you never know what the conditions may be like. Watch out for the disc eating bog on hole 2 and 8 during rainy season. Lots of rough with thorns just off most fairways.
Other Thoughts: Plays very different in summer and winter. Grass gets very high in summer & rough is very rough. Also tends to be wet in summer. A real treat in winter.
Rating: I call it a 3.5 in summer as it often gets to rough to a 4 or 4.5 in winter.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5