Red Feather Lakes, CO
Sundance Trail Ranch DGC Share
Uploaded By: srm_520 Hole #9 (Taken 6/2009)

Share URL:

Dude Ranch

1    5/28/2011   6/7/2011
Review By: Kuiky
Pros: Beautiful setting in the mountains. Very technical course and a wide variety of holes! Short throws, long throws, uphill, downhill, across water, holes for forearm and sideshot throwers. A great course to hike and enjoy the scenery and excercise. The people at the Ranch are very friendly and hospitable.
Cons: This is on a Ranch so I know this is part of the experience, however there was almost too much manure. Bring a dirty towel to clean ur discs off!
Other Thoughts: Beautiful course! I would definately play again. We drove 2 hrs to play this course, well worth the experience. I will be back!

A different style mountain course

1    5/28/2011   5/29/2011
Review By: 14erDisc
Pros: This is a beautiful Colorado Mountain course. However, it is not your typical Colorado mountain course in the fact that there are many open fairways & pastures which you encounter. Having said that, this course still ranks up with the toughness of CO mountain courses. Expect to throw most (but perhaps not every) throws in your bag. There are some short and very tight holes weaving through the trees(2, 15, 17), and there are 600 foot bombers starting in a pasture and ending up in the woods(8,9). Hole 8 is a 550 foot bomber that finds a large body of water fairly unavoidable. The pins are all well marked and most have a 4 foot tall flag on top so they can be seen from almost all of the tees. There are still a few blind shots... I did not scout them out and I certainly paid the price for that. The signs at all of the holes do a decent job of showing you the style of throw you want... but these seem to never match up with my view of where the basket actually is. That being said, every hole has a sign. Hole 11 is one of my favorite holes of all time, and I have played many a mountain course. 11 is a downhill hyzer that hooks through an extremely tight corridor. It is an awesomely hard shot... but the perfect throw could easily yield an ace. I couldn't help but tee off 4 or 5 times on this hole. The course is certainly a good mixture of various aspects of your game. Short and long uphills, long bombs, all requiring a fair amount of precision and accuracy.
Here you get a scorecard and a map... the map will end up being necessary. The map is certainly a nice feature to have. While this is not an essential feature, the baskets are all painted a cool blue around the rim and have the Colorado flag on them. This adds to the character of the course... I certainly enjoyed it.
Cons: The course was not all that inspirational and a few holes looked like they took little thought to design. This is a pay to play course. Normally, I do not mind a pay to play environment because you can tell the money goes back into the course. Here this is not the case. The course looks like it does not get tons of maintenance. While amazing and beautiful, the course is not up to par with every other pay-to-play course I have been to in terms of overall shot layout, thought, and maintenance. This being a "ranch" for vacationers to stay at, it seems like my pay-to-play is going to something else. Another issue is that while you do have a map, it is possible to get a tad lost. For the most part the map keeps you in check, but make sure to always look at it before you wander to "the next hole". You also end up a decent amount away from hole 1 and your car, which is not a big deal to me, but some view this as a hassle.
Other Thoughts: This is a very unique Colorado Mountain course. If you're into the hiking style courses it is certainly worth checking out, and will test a good amount of your disc repertoire. Be prepared for a few blind shots, some awesome tight corridors, some cool Colorado baskets, and maybe a bit of getting lost. Hard course, and was certainly loads of fun. Benches at many of the holes as well.

Top 3

2-4    11/7/2009   11/10/2009
Review By: GDisc
Pros: Absolute Beautiful course. This course has a great mix of Long, Mid and short Holes with Open and Wooded shots. Rock Formations are beautiful and play into course. Basket 3 sits back behind a few large Boulders with a thick grove of trees that divides the fairway and there is a fence marking OB off to left. Scenery here is unbeatable especially on Hole 10. Plenty of Holes have Benches.
Cons: Tee pads are all natural and not in the best shape but this is a mountain course and I have yet to see anything other than natural tee pads,at a mountain course, so it's not like I was expecting anything better. Course could have a little better signage but map is good so not to much of an issue. I really don't have any true complaints about this one.
Other Thoughts: I highly recommend this course to anyone and everyone in the area. It is absolutely beautiful. You will need your whole bag here due to the technicallity and length of Holes. There is lunch provided for anyone interested at a very reasonalbe price. Can't beat a little Home Cooking! There is a $3 charge to play but you get a ScoreCard with a map and it is well worth it.This course is in my Top 3 courses played and Hole 10 is my favorite Hole on any Course that I have ever played! If you get a chance to check this one out I'd jump at the opportunity. Awesome Course!

Watch Your Lines

2-4    9/13/2009   9/14/2009
Review By: TalbotTrojan
Pros: This is a great mountain course that provides a great deal of challenge. There is a great variety of length and a good mix of open and tight holes. Despite what some in the past of said every hole offers a good challenge both physically and mentally, and yes there is a line to take on every hole and often multiple lines on the holes that seem to have none. This sits in a little valley that is part of a ranch in the Colorado high country and is just a beautiful piece of land. The folks that run the ranch are extremely friendly. They will call you in you loose a disc there that is later found so be sure to have your name on your disc. Many land features that are unique in the area are used well and it seems as though the layout was designed to really maximize a few of these great features. The baskets had some of the stickiest chains that I have yet seen and were all well marked with flags.
Cons: One of my biggest cons in everything is the cost of playing and this is a pay to play course, but one that is well worth it if you are in the area. Otherwise I would say that the tee pads, though they have recently been improved left some to be desired. The tee signs are nothing more than stumps with numbers on them (that is unless they leave the signs from the CSDGC's). I think that the layout might be a little confusing as it is not always clear where the next hole might be, though there usually are worn paths. The baskets all have portable bases though I do not think they move them all that often if at all.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed my expereince at this course but realize that it is not a course for just anyone. There are some nice long holes that some may take bunches of strokes to even get to the basket. The shorter holes are usually very technical and you will take several shots to get to the basket if you do not hit the right line. Because of this I would not reccomend this course for newbies. It really is a wonderful hike though the mountains but that also means it is at some elevation so play accordingly with water and for the low landers out there bring even more water. Make sure that you do call in advance for a tee time as the people here were very accomodating to me while I was there. Respect their land and pack out what you bring in. With some minor improvements this could be one of the best courses out there but at the same time I do not think that is a priority.

Nice High Country Setting

1    8/29/2009   9/2/2009
Review By: ddevine
This review was updated on 9/15/2009
Pros: Great setting, with some cute pin positions amongst the rocks. Technically challenging, requiring power and finesse. Holes 8,9,10 are a great combination of smart play, raw power and high country terrain. Hole 11 is a cute downhiller. Plenty of trees that require well executed shots.
Cons: Technical, but not particularly inspiring. The pond only comes into play on one hole. The layout does not loop around, with hole 18 finishing a good ways away from the start.
Other Thoughts: This is a personal matter, but I look for the "Wow" factor when I walk up to a tee, especially in the beautiful high country of Colorado. Most of the holes did not measure up to the setting.

Great Mountain Course

1    8/15/2009   8/16/2009
Review By: colodiscgolfer
Pros: Great atmosphere with very friendly people. Loved the Experience as a whole, and will be returning to play again. The owners, Dan and Ellen, are very friendly folks who want nothing more than to show you a good time. We had lunch there before our round, and had some delicious tacos that Ellen made. $20 for lunch and a round for 2 people, this is a heck of a bargain. Many very tricky holes, with creative pin placements. Holes 3, 10, and 12 are all nestled in intricate rock formations, and were just a joy to play. Three world class holes! Good mix of long and short holes, with enough open space on the long holes to really let 'er rip. The map given at the ranch house was very accurate, and made the course easy to follow. If you get the joy of seeing Jack (the dog) and Spot (the cat) play together, you'll know just the kind of place you've come to... fun for all.
Cons: Signage non-existent, but the map gives you all the info you need. I don't get the logic behind hole 17 which is through VERY tight trees, there's no fairway whatsoever, and you really just have to throw and pray (got par here with a roller upshot, but will be the first to say it was luck and not skill). The only other hole I didn't like was 5 which is basically a boring 411ft hole in a big flat open field, almost hit an ace clanging off both top and bottom metal, but still it was jut rather bland. I guess it is a hole that just is intended to cover the distance between the more interesting areas. The tee pads could use some more attention and an upgrade, but were adequate.
Other Thoughts: Really looking forward to playing this course again. Got to see a bunch of different lines once at the pin that weren't really visible from the tee pad, so I know I can improve greatly on my score (hole 3 has a big anhyzer line over the trees I didn't even realize was there from tee, but that's the only tip you're getting from me). Put my drive into the drink on hole 8, about 2 ft from the shore of pond closest to the pin. I am sure it would have made it if I didn't catch a big headwind gust in midflight. Water was too murky for a recovery. Cool pin placement to tempt those with big arms to try the shot over the pond, and punish them if they don't succeed. Still going to go for it next time, even though it has already claimed one of my go-to drivers. Really enjoyed this course, and will be making the trip back out there sometime within the next month. Can't really list this as a pro or con, but the catching area of the baskets are a bit smaller than most because the bottom basket is deeper than most. Baskets are more sensitive than most to being off left or right, and can spit your disc out if you don't hit it perfectly in the center. I didn't have problems in round, because I noticed this while warming up prior to my round. Something good to know ahead of time though...

It has it, but just not all of it

1    7/31/2009   8/6/2009
Review By: superberry
Pros: The setting, terrain, and scenery are amazing. There are discatchers here. The course offers water, elevation, woods, open fields, bombers and technical wooded cooridors. The dude ranch now sells ice cold 6 packs and will give you a bucket and ice for your bevs, along with a bottle opener. It was 930am when we played it, but we had to partake. The owner is VERY friendly, accomodating, and talkative. Some really amazing rock formations are used to create memorable and tricky putts or upshots. Hole 14 is very beautiful and an amazing throw if you can pull it off, it plays across a valley from an elevated tee to an elevated pin, still hidden behind trees. Hole 10 is an awesome uphill throw to a basket on the edge of a rock face. I took quite a few pictures here I plan to upload later.
Cons: While this course was really great, I still had the feeling the entire time that something was lacking. I think it suffers from being privately owned, and taking a backseat to the main attraction which is the horseback riding dude ranch. When you get a bunch or dude ranch city slickers playing your course all the time, you'll never get any constructive feedback on how to improve, maintain, and upkeep your course. I personally like groomed courses and I think if the meadow holes were mowed and better maintained, the experience would be even more amazing. If little extras like nicely laid out pathways, wood chipped greens, more stone for longer more level tees, and a little more manicuring would easily push this course to a 4.5 or 5. But of course it would, then it would be a disc golf ranch, and not just disc golfing at a dude ranch. The course map is pretty poor, and more than a few directions and distances seem to be off. Tee signs are nonexistent and would be that final excellent touch which could take this course over the edge!
Other Thoughts: I struggled and wanted to rate this a 3 or 3.5 when I first played it. I get this impression from my colorado discin vacation that disc golf courses are afterthoughts. While the extreme and beautiful terrain is more than appealing to a disc golfer and designer, it seems as though the designs are crammed into an area not primarily for disc golf, and disc golf is underutilized so all the upkeep and maintenance suffers. This design was very well done, although I would have changed many things, I can't really complain. A little more upkeep and dedication and this course would be amazing, no doubt at all. While it is remotely located, it was worth it, I wish I would have played Beaver Meadows also because that combination would probably made my experience better. So, even after driving overnight 18 hours and being dead tired while playing this course, I liked it. I wish I would have brought ligther more understable discs on the trip. My WI course is 650' above sea level, this one is 8000'. Disc do NOT turn like they should, and they all fade REAL hard. It was TOUGH throwing in the lighter air and I had to hugely overcompensate my throws which deadened my scores.

You'll have a BEAUTY of a course if you put a little more upkeep into the course, add some crushed stone for larger and more level tees, and make up some nice tee signs (I did mine for Winter Park in Kewaunee WI simply with MS Paint, printed them out, and laminated them).

Love it!

5+    7/19/2009   7/26/2009
Review By: CBass
This review was updated on 9/23/2015
Pros: Very scenic and challenging course that will test all of your skills. The staff is very welcoming and helpful. This course is on a dude ranch and casual traffic is almost none but you will need to yield to the horses. Maps are provided and lead you along your way through the woods and meadows. This course makes for an excellent weekend of disc getaway with camping nearby. Many holes have a definite line you would want to hit with many obstacles to avoid in the process. My favorite hole is #14 where you must carry over a ravine at least 350-375 to be sitting decently on the other side. In the middle is a marshy, muddy, bushy mess.
Cons: A little bit out of the way, just below Red Feather Lakes but the drive is very scenic. Tee pads are natural and a little rough, but I have seen much worse. Watch out for hikers and horseback riders, not a real big deal since they move through swiftly. Hard to find a lot of cons. If you don't like hiking or shooting through the woods this may not be your cup of tea. Cell phones don't work too well here, but this is actually a positive in my book. Wildlife must always be considered when playing in their backyard. There were reports of bears, as there always are in Red Feather, but I've never seen one there.
Other Thoughts: An absolute blast! Stay for a day, or a weekend, it will never be long enough.

A Must Experience for any Golfer

1    6/26/2009   6/27/2009
Review By: srm_520
This review was updated on 3/28/2010
Pros: Obviously the biggest pro of a mountain course is the elevation and terrain. Sundance Trail hole #10 is the ultimate example of this: a short hole that plays up as far as it plays long, with the pin nestled in the rock face at the crest giving the player stunning views overlooking the ranch and mountainous peaks. It's simply beautiful.

Holes are diverse in their length, foliage levels, elevation changes, and layouts. Latter holes play extremely tight through the thin lodge pole pine; while other holes like #9 and #14 let long players air it out in a wide expanse of land.

One other major pro of this course is the people. They were friendly ranch folk who took the time to make sure we were set and ready to play. My friend asked for some water, and they simply gave him a thermos and said keep it. "Need to borrow a disc? No problem, the selection is limited but there are some along the wall you're more than welcome to use for the day. Don't forget the color map and scorecard before you go out, and if you need anything else, we'll be out watering the horses." I love it.

BEST HOLE/S: #10; #11
Cons: Being a privately owned course, there are the typical issues that I take with a grain of salt. First, some holes are bit thick. Even with that authentic mountain feel, technical holes like 15 and 17 are more luck than skill which can be bothersome to some people.

The course is pay to play, but you can play a round for three dollars or decide to stay all day for five.

Another issue are the tee boxes. I understand gravel and dirt tee boxes in the mountains - they make sense and seem right in the environment, but many are very unlevel and awkward. Again, being privately owned, tree clearing and tee maintenance can fall by the wayside, but is a small knock on the overall course quality.

One final issue may be that it's located so far away, so that may turn off some people, but I think many would agree that a good escape to the mountains is always worth a good drive.

WORST HOLE/S: #6
Other Thoughts: Sundance Meadows was a serene and inspiring disc golf experience for me. Being able to play here with the friend who first took me out disc golfing over a decade ago was icing of the cake. Heck, even writing this review has been unusually difficult since courses like these sometimes can't ever be adequately reviewed - they just need to be experienced.

Even though I believe this course rates slightly higher than Beaver Meadows DGC just a few miles up the road, the combo still makes a solid one-two punch and a must destination for any avid disc golfer. Sure, each course has some technical issues that can drop a rating a bit, but that's been typical in every private course I have played. What may set these mountain courses apart is the fact that you can travel up here, play a round, and find a peace which is rarely be attained in everyday life. Experience it, enjoy it, and hope others can come and do the same.

A course for champions

2-4    3/8/2009   4/16/2009
Review By: ryyedogg
Pros: This is one of those courses that you tell all your friends about. It is a spectacular course secluded in beautiful Red Feather Lakes, Colorado. If you like to hike through the open wilderness and love a challenging disc golf course, then you won't be disappointed with this technical masterpiece. The area is a great escape from the busy courses where I live in Fort Collins. Sundance requires a variety of medium to long shots as well as great accuracy in order to hold a reasonable score. Throw a bad tee shot on most holes and you will likely struggle to make par. The course plays through dense woods and open meadows. Although many holes are under 300', most of them require a tight gap shot through thick woods to get to the pin. Hole #2 and #17 are prime examples. Course maps are available for finding your way.
Cons: It does cost money to play, but the experience alone is well worth it. Tight wooded holes can destroy your score while others require strategic placement rather than trying for distance. Some holes have large rocks that can scar a disc pretty badly. This may be a frustrating course for inexperienced players. You might want to wear your hiking shoes and bring warm clothing just in case the weather goes bad. It does get windy often in this area.
Other Thoughts: Remember to tell the owners how great of a course it is! Stop by The Wright Life in Fort Collins to meet the course designer and get info.