Nashville, TN
Cedar Hill Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #13 (Taken 12/2016)

Wants to be great....

1    8/7/2010   8/9/2010
Review By: thebuckeyeguy
Pros: So, there are a lot of great attributes to this course. It is challenging, there are "next tee" locators, and there is great use of elevation change. The crowd was minimal, and it was easy to find the park. There was concrete, and plenty of benches. Also, I never needed a trash can so didn't recall if they were plentiful, but I did notice that the course was clean. The locals that we did come across were very helpful and friendly, and the rough was not impossible.
Cons: I was really disappointed to see such a challenging course not be properly updated with a course par. I play par 3s when appropriate, but on a new course I like to play tournament rules including course par, and it does not take an experienced player to realize that some of these holes should reward three shots as a birdie, not call them just a standard "par". I mean, there are five pin locations...why can't there be a different par for different locations?! A lot of work was done to exclude this detail.
Other Thoughts: That being said, I simply gave this course 4 discs because overall it does not stack up to the ones I have given 5 discs to. If we were talking Nashville-only, I would definitely give it a five. Truth be told though, it was a good time but I wouldn't make a trip around it. If you are remotely near by and have time to play, definitely hit it up.

The Cedar Hill (cedar hell)

5+    8/6/2010   8/6/2010
Review By: BrandonKeele
Pros: This is a course that will really challenge both newbies and old schoolers. If you have a long drive your going to need it but, you better have control. If your a newb play smart and dont try to be a hero or you will be playing from the outskirts all day. Every possible shot you can imagine is here besides water. But this is cedar hell its too hot for water.
Cons: I cant really think of any. The signs are better than most, the course is clean, plenty of benches and trash cans. Lots of basket pin changes and pro tee's. The course is never conjested. All I can say is TIIIMBEEEERRRRRR...TREE'S...You are your own enemy here. This course is fun. Cedar hell will eat your disks. I have lost two now and one of them I could see 100 foot up in a tree, but again that is my fault. On 18 you've got 574 feet. Four hundred of which is straight and then a hard right into the woods. Keep it straight as long as possible and vear right towards or into the path, if you shank it left or right your disc is either gone or your coming out bloody. If you do you may find a neat monarch disc...keep it, its yours.
Other Thoughts: I have yet to play a single digit score on this course....best is 12 and it felt good believe it or not. but today may be the day. Its just 8 minutes from my house...let's get together and conquer the beast. Brando81@live.com

Cedar Hell: My Home Course

5+    8/2/2010   8/2/2010
Review By: johnnyfoodstamp
This review was updated on 8/4/2010
Pros: Wide variety of shots. Excellent layout. Course flows nicely. Lots of wooded shots. No problems with overcrowding. I play this course 3-4 times a week and love it. 8 min. up 65N past downtown.
Cons: None that I can think of. Excellent course and a must play for Nashville area. Certain holes (7/17/especially 18) can be disc eaters if your not careful. Very few open drives.
Other Thoughts: It's too hard. Right now (as of 8/2/2010) this course must be set to pro for the summer tourneys because several baskets are in their furthest postitions (Hole 2 502 ft, Hole 18 574 ft.) As a newer player this is intimidating.

This is what disc golf is about!

1    7/14/2010   7/23/2010
Review By: upfromtheashes
Pros: Very very enjoyable course. Teepads were good. Signs were adequate. This course has more alternate pin placements than any course I've ever seen. I think every hole may have had 3 or more possible pin placements, some as many as 6! I don't know how often the baskets are moved, but wow this could be like playing a different course every time you go! There were holes on the signposts marked A, B, C, etc, with a washer on whatever placement the basket was supposed to be that day. We found that the marked placements weren't always accurate on the day we played, but it's a good concept nonetheless and was appreciated.

Nice variety of holes, it never felt like you were playing the same hole over and over. Good use of elevation. Aesthetically, the course is very pleasing to the eye. It was clean, and there are cedar logs placed on the ground in a number of places that made a sort of terraced effect. I've never seen anything else like that on a course. Lots of benches. I think every hole had mulch around the basket which is a clear indicator that there are people taking care of this course. I've played enough courses that seem to have been forgotten about, that it really makes me appreciate the ones that get taken care of.
Cons: I have to get nitpicky in order to come up with anything negative about this course. My biggest gripe would be the lack of any sort of warmup area. No place to practice driving or putting except hole 1. You don't circle back to the parking lot until you play all 18, so if you are the type that likes to take a pit stop after 9, you won't be able to.

A few alternate teepads for Ams would make this course more beginner-friendly, but honestly I'm not sure that the locals would even want it to be so. I get the feeling that this is the "big boy" course in Nashville, and that beginners are free to play one of the easier courses nearby.
Other Thoughts: This is my kind of course right here. The fairways are "not too hot, not too cold" if I might make a Goldilocks reference. I'm not a big fan of 200 foot holes with 50 trees in the middle of the fairway to weave your way through. You'll find none of those holes here. Nor will you find many wide-open fairways where you can shank a drive way right or left and get away with it. These fairways are just right. Well-defined and wide enough to stay on with a decent drive, while simultaneously not requiring Ken Climo accuracy to avoid the rough.

I'm already trying to figure out when I can get back down to Nashville to play this one again.

Nashville's Best

1    7/3/2009   6/22/2010
Review By: JohtoVillage
Pros: Fun course that offers a good challenge - Cedar Hill is situated in a beautiful park and the course makes good use of the land. Holes 1 and 2 are great opening holes, with number two being a sweet hole that finishes in a neat basket near a creek. While the creek didn't have water when we played, it was cool nonetheless. Holes 17 and 18 are really neat finishing holes - the distance on the site for 18 says 365, but it was in the longer pin and was at least 150 longer. I always appreciate a course with two good finishing holes because its the last thing you remember about the course. Hole 10 is a sweet, downhill hole over 550 feet. The hole dives downhill through a tight gap and then ends out in a field. The course has multiple pin placements (A,B,C) and the best thing about the pin placements is the marker system the course employs (and the rest of the courses in the Nashville area employ) - on each tee there is a marker next to the pin placement indicating where the pin is located. This allows for some awesome variation in the holes - the course could be in the mid 4000's and could be in the mid 7000's. I would definitely advise playing this course (and Crockett Park and Seven Oaks) if you are in the Nashville area.
Cons: There's not a lot wrong with this course - however, there's nothing with an 'excellent' rating. Holes 3 through 5 seemed to be a little short and seemed like filler holes, but there's nothing wrong with a variety. Another possible con could be the lack of signature holes. While holes 1 and 2 and 17 and 18 were good holes. those are probably remembered more because they are the first two and last two holes on the course. As a side note, the group I was playing with was a little confused as to the other activities going on in the park. I won't express it on this review, but it seemed the park was a 'gathering' place for people and it made someone in the group uncomfortable (if you need to know, PM me).
Other Thoughts: Overall, a fun course that would be challenging from the C pins (that's what we played that day) and pretty easy from the short pins. I do love the fact that these Nashville courses offer the alternate pin options, and they aren't just alternate pins thrown in after the fact. While nothing really stands out as "awesome" about this course, it was definitely a fun course with a good challenge from the long pins.

Best course in Nashville

5+    4/11/2010   4/12/2010
Review By: vibe
This review was updated on 3/3/2011
Pros: The course is a balanced variety of open, wooded, uphill, downhill & flat.

There is something to challenge every skill level.
There are benches and trash bins at almost every hole on the back 9, and every couple on the front 9.

Several short, 2 long uphill in tight tree lined fairways. A couple long, straight, flat holes. A couple short holes with a loop to one side or the other.
A couple of long downhill holes with great alternate target placements.
Cons: Difficult to just play 9 and get back to the parking area.
(not necessarily a bad thing)

#8 is close to a busy road, can be hazardous to disc health with an errant throw.

After a heavy (or even light) rain, it is very muddy, especially on #7.
Other Thoughts: Love this course. By far the most interesting and my favorite in town.

5+    3/6/2010   3/17/2010
Review By: peglegholly
This review was updated on 3/30/2010
Pros: Holes vary between open and wooded.
Elevated holes
Rewarding shots
Various pins that are changed up consistently throughout the seasons
Cons: Sometimes a little congested
One specific hole (17, I think...) is located right next to a public pavillion. Have had problems with non-disc players standing on the fairway not knowing they were in the way. Ended up skipping the hole the few times this has happened. Can be muddy in places.
Other Thoughts: Plenty of seating and garbage disposal at the pins. Beware the cedar trees... I've climbed up a few to retrieve some discs.

Just have fun

2-4    2/20/2010   2/21/2010
Review By: peabody
Pros: If you play one course while visiting Nashville, you must come try this one. Only come with having fun in your mind cause if you aren't having fun you are probably having a very bad day. This course is brutal in so many ways. Not just the length of some of the holes, but the placement of shots you need to get to the pin.
Picture perfect holes with mostly open fairways to let the disc work make for an experience you won't soon forget. Take hole #2 for instance. It's a long -S- with a dogleg right at the end. I triple bogied this thing both times I played it.
Each and every hole has something different to offer. Great variety of shots that will have you using most of the discs in your bag and make you wish you had more in there.
Plenty of parking and close to food and gas stations. Easy to find and access from 24 or 65.

Cons: No bathrooms. Some of the holes were a little hard to find but we never looked for more than a minute or two before we found our way.
Hole #10 off of the tee, was throwing across hole #9's fairway. Some mud but hey, it's winter going into spring.
Oh yea, there were Cedar Trees everywhere:)
Other Thoughts: Beginer or Intermediate players won't make par here very often, but playing this course will make you a better disc golfer for sure. I wish I lived near this course.
Advanced will love this course. So many neat and varied shots with lots of pin placements.
I shot a 25 over first round,and improved to 14 up on the second round. I was proud of that and had a great time regardless of being over par.
Ace run holes are here but you need to be able to throw 300 feet or more to have a good chance.

Fun hilly course

1    5/8/2009   2/2/2010
Review By: mashnut
This review was updated on 7/8/2010
Pros: The course is set in a hilly park with lots of trees and brush. The course has it's own property, so there was no interference from any other park users. There was elevation used on most of the holes, which to me makes a course a lot more fun, especially when used well to really give a variety as was done here. There are a few great downhill shots which are always some of the most fun holes to play.

Many of the fairways were lined with cedar trees or other brush to really punish shots that went off line. None were so narrow that they seemed ridiculous, but they were tight enough to really make you work to keep it on the fairways. There was a fun mix of early and late trouble, making every shot count here. I liked the balance of different fairway shapes, it didn't seem repetitive or monotonous in the configuration I played.

There are decent concrete tee pads, and the baskets are in pretty good shape. There are multiple pin positions on every hole, and they looked like they would totally change up the course, both in distances and in types of shots on many holes. The current placement was marked on the sign post, which is always really nice when there are multiple positions, you didn't have to scout ahead just to see where the basket was.
Cons: There were a couple tricky spots in terms of navigation, where it wasn't obvious where the next tee was, but none that really made it a chore to follow the course. There were a few places where the course is pretty close to the road, which takes away from the natural feel that helps make the rest of the course so nice.

The tee pads were very slick, even with only a little moisture on them. They just didn't seem to have a good grippy finish on them, which made them a little dangerous to take a real run up on.
Other Thoughts: This isn't a very beginner friendly course. It is pretty tough, a long hilly walk that didn't really loop back to the parking lot, and lots of places to lose discs or end up stuck in the schule. It's a great place for more experienced players looking for a challenge, with lots of different shots required if you want to score well and stay out of the rough.

This was my favorite of the courses I played in Nashville, and definitely one you should stop by and play if you're in the area. Be prepared for a good hike and a tough course, and you'll probably enjoy it.

Trek in the woods.

1    12/15/2009   12/15/2009
Review By: lschrock
This review was updated on 2/13/2010
Pros: This course brings out the best and worst of your game. I could foresee some phenomenal players coming out of this area just because of this course. It has every an opportunity for every kind of shot. Really impressive distance on the course, good elevation change without being overly fatiguing. Nice tee pads, long when they should be. The course was all par 3's, though a couple of holes could have been 4's. It seemed like there were sufficient benches, but I was playing solo, so I couldn't say for sure. 3-5 pin placements per hole, I'm not sure how much they vary them. Great scenery, tons of trees (including cedars). There is a lot of chopped cedar pieces lining the paths too, a really nice touch.
Cons: I've seen a lot nicer signs, these were all metal but did the job. I couldn't put my finger on it, but there is something about the course that I didn't like on the layout. Some of the pin placements were tough to navigate, because you couldn't see them. I think if I'd played the course a couple of times and new exactly where to throw it, I would have enjoyed it a lot more. It was a little muddy when I played, but it had just rained. No water holes.
Other Thoughts: Beware, those who throw tomahawk/thumber only players, this course will swallow you whole. Some locals I talked to said that this course was the best in the area. This course will really test your game. It's one of the most difficult I've played yet.