Allentown, PA

1 2 3 4 5 Next >

2-4    9/22/2008   9/22/2008
Review By: nosajeel99
This review was updated on 9/28/2008
Pros: There are some really nice holes on this course. A few have a risk/reward notion to them with the creek coming into play, though it is really more of a danger for those whose shots fade off to the right.

Many shots require some skill, not just on drives but upshots as well. I am thinking hole #12 here, which is probably my favorite of the course. You drive over a hump in the fairway and then shoot downhill to a basket on a fast green. The drive over the road on #13 is nice as well. The course is very well maintained and looks almost impeccable.

Some new additions make it easier to navigate, such as red tape added to the baskets pointing in the direction of the next tee pad. Also, the tee pads have been replaced and have mulch around many of them. They are not as hard to see or find anymore. Also, there is some spray paint on the ground between some holes (between #4 and #5, #10 and #11) to help lead the way.
Cons: I would classify this as a big arm course, not a technical one. There are only about 3 holes where accuracy is required MORE than distance to score well. Other than that, if you can throw far you should do well on this course. There isn't a lot to hit.

As other people have noted, there are long walks between some of the holes, especially between #4 and #5 (though the spray paint helps a little - there's not enough of it). Take a map to help you out.

Also, there are no signs whatsoever. If this is your first time playing, you'll probably have some difficulty knowing exactly where to throw on some holes, though on many you can see the basket from the tee pad (not all of them).
Other Thoughts: I reviewed this course after the second time playing it (on two separate occasions). Before the round I fully intended on rating this course lower than I did, but the improvements to navigation and tee pads helped bump it up. The course is still broken up into too many pieces and doesn't have a steady flow. Also, I feel it is unbalanced in design (heavy on big arms, low on accuracy) and that keeps it from being rated higher. Purely on looks and *individual* hole design, this course is amazing; as a whole it seems to fall short. It is well worth a play, though, and definitely a great course.

Love this Course

7/30/2008   7/30/2008
Review By: jcavanaugh
Pros: I must say this course is the closest a "golf course" feel. Tthe OB areas, perfectly mowed grass (short for fairways long for OB). This course also has some huge holes (my personal longest at 730 feet just seems incredbily long compared to other local courses). This course has quickly become one of my favorites. The back 9 in the best part in my opinion. This course also features some long holes with big elevation changes making for some huge wide open drives. Definetly worth playing
Cons: Long walks between some pins and tee boxes. I have yet to find a map for this course. Had there not been a tourtment the day we played we would have been very lost.
Other Thoughts: On the back 9 there is one hole you actally throw your drive over the road that used for the main entrance to the park with a large down hill after. I enjoy this hole alot, very uniqe!

Stunningly beautiful

5+    7/15/2008   7/15/2008
Review By: Godard
This review was updated on 9/7/2008
Pros: The most ball-golf-like course I've ever played, with perfectly mowed fairways and wide shooting lanes. Idyllic setting. No brambles or tick-laden rough to ruin your day. Good length, with a few birdie holes thrown in there. I gather that 7 and 8 are new, and they're fantastic... 7 is the only "gauntlet" type hole. The creek also comes into play on 6, a real doozy. One water fountain available, and good bathrooms.
Cons: No signage whatsoever, and a few baskets had the wrong number. Very unfriendly for new players... bring a map! Also I read that some people consider the rough to be "OB" but there were no signs indicating that. Could use more precision holes / gauntlets. I used my wraith to drive on 14 of the holes, I believe. No alternate tees or pins, making it tough on beginners. A shame they couldn't keep the old 11 and 12 to make it a 20-hole course. Long walk between 4 & 5 and 13 & 14.
Other Thoughts: Hopefully they'll get their signage in. Between this, Jordan creek and South Mountain, Allentown has three very different challenges... I complained about the lack of variety, but if you play all three, you will see every possible type of hole. So I rated this very highly, as it's the gem among three wonderful courses.

watch out for the bum under the bridge!

4/23/2008   5/6/2008
Review By: skippymo
Pros: great layout, like the feel of this course nice walk. all holes were fun to play
Cons: hole 6 was hard to find. had to ask a local pair of guys, map printed was a little off. water hazard may be a disk trap (unless you go in...may be some disks in there too.)
Other Thoughts: really fun couse busy people walking running though. will play again hole 1 is super long if played from the back tees play from the shorter ones is i think a better spot to go. oh and the bun under the bridge is harmless kinda grunts a little but he leaves disk golfers alone. :)

9/26/2007   9/26/2007
Review By: justin
Pros: Beautifully manicured land with extremely long and...not quite as long holes.

Cons: Watch out as walkers and dogs are everywhere. Some holes like #1 seem long (666') for no good reason. Am tees would make course much more accessable. I'm a huge fan of elevation but being a long course it can be cruel to demand such uphills on the back 9. Map and reality didn't always match up to which side of the trees or walking patch the tee was on. No tee signs made finding tees difficult as well.

An Enjoyable Course

5/27/2007   6/6/2007
Review By: timg
This review was updated on 7/16/2007
Pros: Fairly long with some interesting holes. Very well maintained.
Cons: High traffic park so people can be a concern when throwing. Also, complete lack of tee signs/markings.
Other Thoughts: Anyone that goes to play this course from out of town like I did, PRINT A MAP! I wish I followed my own advice but it's a little late for that now.

Most holes were fairly easy to find although we did find ourselves walking around looking for the black carpet tee area fairly often. It went like that up to hole #4 at which point we had a difficult time finding #5. A local pointed us in the general direction and we found a black carpet with #5 crossed out and #6 written on it a very long way from #4. We eventually guessed that the #5 tee was played from this gravel area (could be wrong).

Things went smoothly from there up to #11. We ended up finding tee #12 first and then while trying to find #13 we found #11! We never did find #13 unfortunately and apparently wouldn't have found #14 as it is a very long walk. At that point we were so tired from hiking around trying to find tees we gave up on the course.

I gave the course a 4 as it was a lot of fun when we could find tees and there were some very cool holes (#6 stands out in my mind). Also, if we were better prepared with a map then it would have gone from good to great. If the course had tee pads that were better marked (at least a stick in the ground) to aid in finding them or even better, some signs I think the course could easily be a 5.

So overall, Little Lehigh is worth the stop but make sure to bring a map if you've never played the course. It will make the course a LOT more enjoyable!

Little Lehigh, Big Challenge

5+    5/4/2012   5/29/2007
Review By: adlacro
This review was updated on 5/5/2012
Pros: 18 holes with baskets in very good shape. A wide variety of holes demanding different shots, plus high grass OB areas as well as water on a number of holes. Elevation comes into play on a few holes as well. Many greens are fast. Just a few minutes from the interstate. Very well maintained. Ace runs and deuce runs break up a long layout.
Cons: A few long walks between holes required, and with the walking path b/w 13 and 14 closed for now, it will force you to walk back up the 13th fairway to the road you came in on. Tee pads for the most part in good shape, but due to the oft flooding here, concrete will never come.
Other Thoughts: With the constant improving of other area courses and the construction, plus the sad reality of no concrete, I felt the course needed to drop a bit. It is still awesome and a must play, but pair it with top-notch Jordan Creek and the always infamous South Mountain, and you have yourself the creme de la creme of the Lehigh Valley, save Nocky of course.

Home of Worlds 2005 Championship

5/24/2007   5/24/2007
Review By: Qwikstreet
Pros: Long open course that runs along a waterway. Well kept park.
Park has high traffic with joggers. Some of them are real easy on the eyes.
Cons: Course removed during winter months.
Other Thoughts: Beautiful layout and the location of the annual SportsFest.

1 2 3 4 5 Next >