Jefferson, NC
Ashe County Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #8 (Taken 1/2015)
Hole #8 White Tee

Share URL:

WOW! Just WOW!!!

5+    6/28/2013   6/28/2013
Review By: Bennybennybenny
This review was updated on 11/18/2013
Pros: -This place is amazing! The land is beautiful!, it consists of epic holes and it is very family friendly! It has a playground and a fishing pond but the disc golf course is maybe the most noticable thing at the park.
-The tee pads are very large, I'm doing the tournament tomorrow so I was very worried that they wouldn't be big enough and I was wrong. I had 0 foot faults. They are maybe 13' long!
-Teesigns are beside the short tees, even though there are no teesigns by the longs, the next tee signs are very helpful, I never got lost even on the long transitions because they help you get there. The long tees do have signage and it is not great but on the teesigns, it shows were the long tees are. I promise you won't get lost!
-Breathtaking shots!! Particularly #9 and #18! Just from the shorts they have elevation drops of 65+ feet. If that's a lot for you, just wait until you play #18 LONG! That hole's drop is HUGE! Well over 100 ft. As awesome as those two are, the are out of the woods and a throw with a driver will have a major turn left.
-#11 is really sick as well! Especially to the long pin position. You start off with a crazy corridor shot and you throw over not one but two rows of rhododendrons. It's a par 5 and only 471' feet long. You may think you could easily eagle that but let me just say, going for it can get you an 8 or worse.
-There are restrooms beside #10.
-I remember a few benches. I sat down on #15's. You will need to sit for a moment because this course is super hilly.
-The mando on #7 didn't bother me at all actually. I birdied that hole. The tee is by the pond and the mando prevents you from bothering people who fish. It also keeps you in play :).
-#9 and #18 are not the only hilly holes, the elevation (particularly on the back tees) is drastic! If you have read most of my reviews, you probably know that I love hilly courses. #6, #8 and #14 are all uphill holes, #14 in particular. #14 is uphill all the way until you get to the basket and #15 long drops over 50 ft and rises about 60 ft! #17 long is also majorly uphill!
-#16 is a very cool, downhill gauntlet! It only has one tee but this hole doesn't need a back tee as it is already punishing enough. I thought it was an awesome hole even though I double bogeyed it. As difficult as it is, if you land in the woods, it's not terribly hard to get out of.
-In the annual High Country Throwdown (I'm doing tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!) instead of re-teeing if you miss the mando, you have a drop zone in front of the mando so you won't risk getting a huge number. Also, the road on #9 is not OB.
-This course is in the Top 25 and you don't have to pay to play! WOW! There are many courses that are not as good as Ashe and you still have to pay to play them. Be grateful that you don't have to because I'd definitely pay to play this course!
Cons: -I got a couple complaints. the woods can be pretty dangerous to get into, especially #12's woods. If my starfire stayed straight, I would have been super close but it didn't and it was under a cluster of thorns and I'm also worried about copperheads. I didn't lose it, I didn't lose any discs but there is a good chance that you will.
-I think #10 long's through and under mando is a little silly. It's alright though, the drop zone is right behind it so if you miss it in a tournament, you won't miss it again. But still, it has no purpose, #7's does. #10 also needs to be cleared out behind the basket. I liked the hole but it's a little silly but it's still fun nevertheless!
Other Thoughts: -This course is amazing and I will say this, if you get the chance to play Ashe County, you don't blow it. I'd give this course a 4.8 and that is rounded up to a 5 but on this website, a 5 is perfect and this course is on the edge of perfection but I can only give it a 4.5. I have waited a while to play it and now I did and the tournament has not started. This is my favorite course now and I could not be more excited about the tournament tomorrow!! There is not one hole I disliked here. I loved it!
-A mountain course is always a course I would desperately want to play, wishlist this course if you haven't and find time to play it if you can. It's not in the top 25 for nothing! Cause it's hilly, it has all variety and it is very scenic. If you think the Charlotte courses are amazing, just wait until you come here! It has so many amazing holes.

- #3 long, sweet risky shot over the water. This hole is over 400 feet but plays a bit less.
-#6, WOW, you can throw through a seem in the woods or hyzer around it.
-#9, Downhill isn't enough to describe this hole, it's major downhill out of the woods and a slightly uphill approach shot to the green.
-#13, Very cool dogleg right that goes out of the woods.
-#15 long, WOW, what an amazing, wooded over the valley shot. This hole is breathtaking.
-#18, Want something more major downhill than #9, here you go, a truly amazing finishing hole.

-If you think those are the only great holes then you are so mistaken. Every hole on this course is fun. I'm SO glad I live in North Carolina because it has some amazing courses and this is probably the best in NC. There are many breathtaking tee shots which are also amazing views! You got to come play this course! It's too great to miss! Keep in mind that it's in the top 25 and most finishing holes do not end like #18. You might not have played any holes as good as some of the holes here. One of the holes at Ashe may be the best one that you have played! You have to come, my friends from church were going to play this course but instead, they settled for skiing. Don't settle for something else if you get the chance to play Ashe County.

Props to DSCJNKY! He won the 2013 High Country Championship with a -10 score. Charlie Coleman also shot -10 but they had a three hole playoff. The open players played the first round from the longs, second from the shorts and third from the longs. Dave Wert, a grandmaster shot -11 but the grandmasters played two rounds from the shorts. If you can, take a moment to congratulate DSCJNKY because he really made it look easier than it really is, with some long drives, good putts and he play safely when he needed to. Don't ask me about my score because I brought my D- game during the tourney but it was all me, this course is awesome and I will do the tourneys every year, and I'm not crossing that out and settling for something else. Harold Duvall has issued an amazing course!

ELEVATION!!!!

1    3/6/2013   3/15/2013
Review By: markm0023
Pros: This is an outstanding course nestled neatly in the Appalachian Mountains. What strikes you first is how well elevation and the woods is used in the layout of this course, something I think some courses could really use. On hole 18 you literally drive off the side of a mountain almost 500+ feet down. There are also multiple lines and the holes are versatile in how you want to play your game. This best part however is most of the time crowds are very low.
Cons: The possibility of losing discs is very high especially in the summer.
Other Thoughts: This course truly is a hidden gem and if possible everyone should play

Great Mix of Elevation

5+    12/1/2012   12/3/2012
Review By: pleszbj
Pros: Great layout overall. The first seven holes on the front play pretty open while the back nine are all in the woods. Most holes have two tee pads, 15 has an incredible pro look across a deep valley on the side of a mountain.

A lot of skill is required for the pro tees unless you get really lucky, which happens more than you think. An alternate route is available after #7 that keeps you out of the woods and back to the parking lot.

One of the best, most versatile layouts I've played in the area. I have never seen it really busy so that is a major plus.

Cons: Both extremes of the seasons tend to be unfavorable to blind landings. The summer is beautiful but the green essence of the forest on the back 9 can disguise a lot of dark colored discs. The late-fall/winter causes the trees to drop what seems like 6 inches of leaves. If you happen to throw a shot that runs parallel to the slope of a hill, beware, it probably is buried deep.

The lake seems refreshing in the warmer days, but rest assure that it caters to loch ness monsters and dead fish. If you muster up the courage to retrieve your sunken disc, don't say I didn't warn you. Ha.
Other Thoughts: Even though this happens to be my home course, I feel very strongly about the quality of game here. It plays rather challenging but in my eyes, that is only going to make you a better golfer. Be wise about the discs you throw, especially when water is in play, and you'll come out feeling great.

The only other comment I am going to add is: holes 9 and 18 are TIGHT, straight fairway shots, down a mountain, with an elevation change of approx. 175-200ft!!! Choose a disc that has a low loft or be prepared to search in the woods for hours if you don't nail a straight drive.

Have fun and enjoy the mountain of North Carolina!

The course everyone can enjoy!

1    6/22/2012   7/2/2012
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: This course is well designed and offers a little bit of everything- open, grassy fairways with few trees, and denser technical woods; holes of all lengths; right, straight, left; holes with options and holes with only 1 way to go; flat, moderate hills, relatively steep up and down; ace runs to hard-earned par 3's to maybe even a couple of legit par 4's due to strategic shot placement.

2 sets of tees, a couple holes had a pro (UNC blue) in addition to regular basket. Two 8's and 9's- the 8-9 to the left is more advanced, the 8a-9a to the right is easier, but still good and challenging holes (no good way to play all 4 in a single round without a long walk). These aspects are what make this course accessible to many different skill levels.

The front 9 is more open playing around the pond and a creek, then the back goes into the woods and up the mountain, with #18 playing all the way back down to the bottom and out into the open- fun finishing hole. I like that each hole is unique and has its own challenge, and that the difficulty seemed to increase overall throughout the round. This course is a great test of your skills and you will need a solid variety of shots.

Great baskets, tees, signs, scorecard, practice basket, kiosk- it is all here. The course was clean and I don't remember any signs or baskets missing or broken. Navigation for first timers is pretty good, a little confusing in some spots due to the multiple tees and the optional 8a-9a loop, but not hard to figure out with the map on the scorecard. Great explanation of grounds rules on the scorecard about water, roads, OB, etc. for each hole. In fact- this is the best scorecard I have ever seen- and thanks to the sponsors (I was shocked to see the sponsor for hole 1 and 18 was from the town of my home course- Smyrna, TN about 350 miles away!)

Before you get to the course parking lot there is a really nice restroom in the lot on the right- a welcome sight after the very long and curvy mountain drive to get here.
Cons: Though I appreciated some of the easier holes to give me a break, there are a couple of holes that are just not up to the level of the rest of the course- 1, 4, and 10 for example (but I do like that the weakest holes are the first of each 9 and not a filler in the middle or, even worse, a terrible finishing hole.)

#11 Advanced basket makes no sense. There is no way to get there, and you will not find it on your first round there until you walk to the next hole- maybe. A helicopter would be helpful to drop you down into the area where the basket is if you happen to throw a blind tomahawk that lands near it. I recommend playing the regular basket as this is still a tough hole.

Lots of people swimming and fishing that could get in the way of a few holes on the front.

This course is hard to get to from any Interstate, and there is no great road to get here- the road we took was up and down the mountains and curve after curve- pretty time consuming and could be nauseating for some. Allow plenty of driving time, the Internet and GPS may say it is only 20 miles away, but those 20 could take up to an hour!
Other Thoughts: Though in a park on the outskirts of the small town in the mountains of NC, you still never get that alone and out-in-nature-away-from-it-all feeling because of all the other park activities and people that never really get out of sight for long. However, this is one of the best parks courses out there. It just did not have that epic wow factor or extra special feel that would have me give it a 4.5+, but it is no less than a 4.0 for me, and I see why others have rated it higher. (Although if you go in thinking this is a perfect/top 10 course, you might be disappointed as it is not quite up to that level in my opinion.)

I would recommend this course to any disc golfer (other than beginners) as you can choose the level of difficulty on each hole that best suits you. Duvall did a fantastic job of building a course that is both fun and challenging for almost any skill level disc golfer- this is not an easy thing to do for sure. So, if you don't mind the drive, then come on and play!

Worthy of a roadtrip

1    5/31/2012   6/4/2012
Review By: NCSU2002
Pros: Very challenging, very pretty, nice use of water, pretty easy to navigate, multiple tees, some really scenic looks from the tees. This course has several holes which would be signature holes for other courses. The hole 11 with a drive to a landing zone where you have the fairway completely blocked with two stands of 15-20 foot high trees between you and the long basket. This was completely baffling to me as I have never seen anything like it--but that's what made it cool. They have a guestbook at the start and there were many players who were from the far reaches of the country who really liked the course, that is pretty neat, I mean you would kind of assume they didn't make the trip specifically for disc golf, but I think they had to go quite a way from their destination--I'm glad they enjoyed--
Cons: lots of uphill/downhill, test of endurance, with the massive downhills it is super tough to figure out where your disc landed as you can't really see it and shots that would normally be pretty straight end up 100's of feet right or left. I personally lost 3 discs in a round, a couple of which were ill advised water hazard shots, but one of which was a great drive (so I thought) on the big downhill that we looked and looked for but you couldn't really see where it landed
Other Thoughts: Would love to have this for a home course. Of the 40 or so NC courses I have played, this is probably my favorite

skipace

1    5/31/2012   6/1/2012
Review By: SkipAce
Pros: Nice course layout.
Great use of little pond for water hazards.
Came back to parking lot at 9th.
Very challenging course.
Loved all the distance shots. We played the long pads. Can't wait to try the shorts next time.
Cons: If you landed off line and had to look for your disc, on most holes i was in total thorn bushes. Round Up Brush Killer PLEASE!!! My group of three lost 5 disc in one round.
Most other Mnt. courses i have played had a more foregiving rough area.
Other Thoughts: Over all loved the course and enjoyed the rest of the park. Hats off to the parks and rec...depo they do a wonderfull job.

Ashe County,,,,,,wow!

1    3/2/2012   4/30/2012
Review By: destroy ya
Pros: Picturesque, well thought out, maximum use of land, challenging, rewarding, unforgiving,,,, fair and unfair at the same time!!!!!!
This course beg's you to throw the shot of your life,,,,,because it will....."EAT IT ALIVE"!!!!!!!!!!! BLAH,,,HA,,,HA,,,HA!!!!!!!!
Cons: Disappointed that there were no "golf cart refreshment babes".....???????
Other Thoughts: Bye Bye Blizzard discs!!!!!!!!

Housewares

1    4/7/2012   4/12/2012
Review By: swatso
Pros:
The two-page map/scorecard is excellent, giving you a really good idea of the shape/tightness challenges you'll encounter before you ever play the course.

Two tees (most) every hole, 6'x12', either concrete, or rubber mat.

Two nine-hole loops. Practice basket.
Cons:
The popularity of the fishing pond can make holes 3, 6, and 7 unsafe to play.

No fairway the last ~200' of long-basket #11 - have to go over huge rhododendron and nearby trees, while also trying to obey signs warning to not damage the flora!?
The course plays up, down, and across both the open space, and within a wooded ridge, of a large, scenic, multi-purpose park. The holes combine the various degrees of tightness-options with the elevation changes to create a wide variety of challenges. The first nine holes play in a clockwise direction, away and down from the parking lot, before returning, while the back nine plays in a counterclockwise direction in the trees slightly up from the lot.

Elevation challenges: There are only a few flat holes. Some extremes - both up and down. Steady slopes, both up/down/across, for which to account. Up-n-over rises, across valleys/pits - pretty much every standard type of change.

Tightness: ranges from completely open to quite tight the entire duration, and everything in-between. The front is definitely more open than the back, but uses the scattered trees and pond to increase the challenge. The trees are tall and plentiful on the ridge hosting the bulk of the back nine, but most throwing paths are quite fair.

Distances: From the short tees, nearly all the holes are under 300', the exceptions being numbers 9 and 18, which are fairly similar - from the midpoint of a steep, wooded ridge, throw straight down and out, exiting into the open space for the last half of the hole. The long tees certainly add to the difficulty, increasing the overall distance by nearly 50%, with most holes over 300' in length. Numbers 9 & 18 become that much harder, needing to hold a steady line while dramatically losing elevation, as trees on both sides of the flightpath are more than happy to knock down a disc which strays of the straight and (fairly) narrow.

Shot-shapes: Straight and true, especially from the shorts, will serve you well on most holes, although a variety of right-turners, and a few sharp lefts, will be required at some point

Navigation was fairly simple. Some items of note:
Both tees for #7 are actually on the pedestrian path - look for a sign on the tree, and stripes painted on the walkway.
There is an alternate tee-8, with alternate basket-8 in the general area of long tee-3, above the pond.
There is an alternate tee-9, near the road/before parking lot, which plays to basket-9
You may think long basket-11 is a myth, until you reach long tee-12. :-)
There is, indeed, a short tee for #15 - it is a long walk around the rim to the right, look for a small path, on the right, up to a bench, after you've seemingly walked almost all the way to the basket!
There is, indeed, a long tee for #17 - follow the small path behind/left of basket-16, the tee located just above long-tee #9.

Some holes - 8, 11, 15, 17 - have an alternate, Carolina-blue, long basket. Only one tee location for numbers 11 and 16. Teesigns primarily at short tee only.

Overall, an excellent course. Very nice variety/range in the tightness, and when combined with the omnipresent elevation changes, makes for a broad experience.

Amazing!!!!!!!

1    3/3/2012   3/10/2012
Review By: Devilduck discgolf
Pros: lots of elevation and variation of lines, great seperation between open and wooded holes
Cons: If your out of shape your toast!
Other Thoughts: One of the most beautiful courses ive played, I love it and ive played all over this is by far my favorite course ever so far!

hehhh hehhh <- heavy breathing

1    1/27/2012   1/30/2012
Review By: 1978
Pros: I loved this course. There were so many holes to throw your bag on my arm is still sore 3 days later. Ashe County Park is littered with unique style holes. 9 and 18 are amazingly frustrating and awesome. High up on a mountain top you have to throw out through an opening 150' away, then you watch your disc sail and sail or saddly die hard to the left or right. Mtn laurel on holes like 16 (a tunnel shot) make for a beautiful green fairway all winter long. Thumber netting is a neat touch. Water holes 3,6,and 7 are a really nice change. Signs around the lake say swim at your own risk...which means (to me) that you can go in and get your disc. The water is clean and clear. 3 is a pucker shot over the pond but you can easily Hyzer out to safety into a hill. 6 is challenging if you go for the ace run. The mando on 7 helps you stay out of the water. 10, the par 5 is really cool. It is only 471 feet but the fairway is blocked twice by bushes. This is a unique style hole and actually pretty cool. I HAVE to get back in the summer. The course was beautiful even in the winter. Ashe Cty Park has a little bit for everyone L, R , Straight holes. If you have every shot, you will be rewarded. The course is so hilly, if you don't hit your line, you might be standing there in awe as your disc flies 300' opposite the direction of the basket. Amazing. Bring your hiking shoes.
Cons: There are very little to discuss. Some holes had low hanging branches that could go... Tee signage and next tee signs on every hole would be good (didnt have much trouble... just on a few holes, we had a map though). I read the sign on hole 10. Dont break the Mt Laurel! Its a cool idea, but the growth is like 6' from the basket. You have to throw 50' and hit a narrow clowns mouth Mando. Personally I would like to see making the mando and getting to 12' from the basket rewarded. I think the bushes should be cut back at least 20' but I understand the thought and am fine with them being there. I'm trying to remember trashcans, I pack in and pack out but if they were there they dont make a memory. I did feel that on a few of the Pro holes, the first throw was just a placement shot ... 8 & 11... were like this. A few of the tee pads have fly pads and I would like to see all concrete. I'm really struggling here. There is a reason this course is in the top 50. Its amazing.
Other Thoughts: You have to visit this course. It's what a mountain course should be. So many MTN courses are short throws up and down hills because it is so much work to built with the elevation changes. The time was put in here and it shows. Amazing course, awesome... If you are on the Blue Ridge, take the time to visit this course on your way by.
I like also the alt 8 and 9 before you play the true 8 and 9. Kodus for adding in the additional 2 holes for us true DG addicts. Keep up the good work!