Arlington, TX
Veteran's Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #14 (Taken 3/2013)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Bought a car and played disc golf

1    6/23/2018   6/25/2018
Review By: MadGame32
Pros: -Loved the Veteran baskets
-Front 9 has a few very challenging holes.
-Back 9 is a welcome relief after "hiking" the front 9.
-Tee boxes were awesome.
-Signage was adequate.
-Maps that are a available are good.
Cons: -Front 9 is in tough terrain.
-Difficult to navigate between some of the holes on the front 9 if you are not familiar.
-No indication of which pin location is in play on each hole.
-Many of the front 9 pins could not be seen from the tee box which led to a lot of extra walking to figure out where we were throwing.
-Lots of opportunities on front 9 to lose discs on the blind shots to pin locations.
-The back 9 was almost too easy compared to front.
Other Thoughts: This was a very challenging course from hole 4-10 in my opinion. The front 9 definitely should not be played alone your first time out. I would advise getting with a local so you know where to throw on blind holes. I would also suggest using a spotter at the goal for each drive to make sure you can see where discs land. It is hard enough to figure out where the goals are, and even harder to find discs that skip or roll away from where you drive. Also navigation from hole 4 to 10 is not always obvious. There was 2-3 times where we had to refer to the map, and we still got turned around going from 7 to 8 even with map in hand.

One good thing I thought about as we played was you really could play the front 9 twice if you wanted a bit of a challenge, or you could play the back 9 twice if you wanted a more leisurely round. With so many disc golf courses available in the area, I am not sure why you would want 1 course for both options, but you definitely have it here.

I think hole 5 was the one that I both loved and hated the most. This time of year, you stand on the elevated tee box and stare out at a sea of green bushes and see no hint of where the goal is. So, I hated having to throw blind with only the sound of the someone standing at the basket as a guide for the throw. But, I loved watching my disc fly over the greenery, and in turn watching my friends' drives flying in as I spotted for them. It was a unique hole.

If you get a chance, I would recommend playing this one WITH A LOCAL. If you are bent on going without one, at least take friends that can help spot discs on drives so you don't spend your whole day searching bushes. I would not recommend playing this course alone on your first trip.

All in all, I thought it was a good course. Not in my favorites, but it definitely stands out in my memories of courses played.

A great course with good elevation changes

1    3/19/2018   3/24/2018
Review By: Chained Evil
Pros: Tee pads are more than ample allowing for a proper run up.
Signage is good providing the player with all they need to know.
Has a good deal of elevation in the heart of the front 9. Holes 4-10 have a good mix of up and down action going on.
All shots are accounted for here from left to right dog legs, to open holes, to wooded holes. The lengths vary depending on where the pin is located so there are some a couple of short holes, moderate length holes and a few longer holes too.
Hole 1, 3, and 12 will keep the big guns happy as they are mostly open. 1 and 3's baskets are protect but a majority of the hole is open. There are excellent lines on a lot of holes here and it will make you use your brain to shape shots.
Course is in a beautiful park and there are other amenities here as well.
A couple baskets sit on a hillside so there is the risk of a roll away putt and the added pucker factor adding to the challenge of the hole.
Cons: Some of the interior holes on the front 9 might be tough to walk down/up after a good rain. Please be sure of your footing.
A couple of walks in between holes are a bit long. 1's basket to 2's tee and 10's basket to 11's tee come to mind. Not too bad but it slows the flow of the round down a tad.
For those players that like to use a cart some of the holes will be hard to drag/push a cart on. The rocky terrain makes for more work. Its not impossible just need to know what you are up against.
Other Thoughts: Of course on Veteran's Park they are going to have DD Veteran baskets. They do their job well and look good to boot.
This course has a nice variety of shots. The wooded approaches on holes 1-3, the openness of 1 and 3 fairway, the shorter holes on the back half of the course make for some great golf here.
Its a nice change of pace that you don't see too often in a city park course. I throughly enjoyed my round here and was challenged both physically and mental. I like a course that mixes things up and makes you use a full bag of shots in order to score well.
I will definitely play this course again when I return to the DFW area. I think there is a bit of something here for every player.
Veteran's Park get a lot of play and has a good word of mouth buzzz and after you play it you will know why.

Average

1    11/25/2017   11/27/2017
Review By: 34blast
Pros: Some nice long shots
A few interesting holes that are blind shots
Baskets were nice
Cons: Poor layout
Short tee boxes
Lot's of non disc golfers get in the way
Worst signs on any course I've been to for finding the next hole
Built on a hill and horrible on a windy day
Baskets do not have the hole number, I shot on the wrong basket once
Other Thoughts: Based on the ratings, I went for the first time and was disappointed. There is some nice elevation change, but tee boxes suck. The layout and signs are not good. It's a solid DGC and I'll go back but only in cooler non windy weather. I would hate to be out there in the heat

It's a bit of a drive for me, I prefer Lake Park, Town Lake, Clark, zBoaz, Bill Allen and Cameron Park quit a bit more. However it's not bottom of the barrel either.

Great course!

1    6/10/2017   6/12/2017
Review By: netbeui22
Pros: Very well taken care of! Great workout! Concrete Tee Boxes! Lots of elevation changes.
Cons: There are a couple of holes where I felt like I was blindly donating a disc!!!!!
Other Thoughts: This is certainly one of the best courses in DFW!!!

Veteran's

2-4    3/28/2016   3/28/2016
Review By: JeremyKShort
Pros: The two halves of the course really have a very different feel. After the initial few holes, it goes into some holes that are very treed up (mostly smaller cedars) with a lot of elevation change. The other holes look largely like holes you typically see at multi-use parks. The park-like holes and more wilderness type holes have very different feels to them, and make for a real variety in the holes. There are some shorter holes, but plenty of longer ones as well. There are multiple pins on all of the holes (3 locations on some of them), and they seem to be moved by the club pretty regularly.
Cons: Very difficult to navigate, especially the first half. Even with people who have played it a fair bit (but not regularly since we're an hour out of Arlington) we still go to the wrong spot for the next tee occasionally. This is really the biggest con, you really want to find someone to play this with the first time.
It also gets a bit rough in some places, the first half is very unfriendly if you go off of the fairways. Although any course in Texas will be really hot in the summer, this one is particularly brutal.

What a gem

1    10/4/2015   10/7/2015
Review By: mavsfan0434
Pros: Too many to name. Good tees, baskets, layout. So awesome to find a course with that kind elevation changes in a relatively flat area.
Other Thoughts: While my high score does not reflect it, this was by far my favorite disc golf experience thus far. I could see where this would be REALLY tough in the heat of Texas summer, and hard for someone who hasn't played there to navigate. Luckily I was with friends who had. It gets crowded so come early, even at 7:30 AM on a Sunday, we were one of 4-5 groups teeing off.

Mesquite Thorns! What's not to like?

2-4    6/10/2015   8/31/2015
Review By: Rodmon
Pros: + It's a very challenging course.
+ Whole lotta elevation challenges.
Cons: -Hated not being able to see the pin from the tee on several holes.
- Don't think I lost any discs, but I'll never go to Veterans Park when it's even remotely warm, let alone HOT.
- Mesquite Thorns everywhere!
Other Thoughts: Did I mention a whole lotta up and down the hills.

5+    3/13/2016   7/14/2015
Review By: jbeezus
This review was updated on 3/14/2016
Pros: Excellent layout with a nice mix of bomber and technical holes. The "grounds crew" does a wonderful job of moving the baskets to keep it from getting stale. Recent maintenance and trimming have the course in clean and pristine condition.
Cons: None
Other Thoughts: Bring bright disks and you should never have an issue.

Good challenge if your a pro.

1    6/2/2015   6/3/2015
Review By: porkchop8228
Pros: It's is a very pretty course with very nice views. A lot of uphill and downhill throws. You need to know this course very well. If your looking for a challenging course this is a great course to test even the best disc golfer.
Cons: Some holes are lengthy and are considered a Par 3's. You need a GPS to locate some of the tee boxes between holes, because you won't be able to see the next tee box from the basket of the previous hole. If you have played this before you will know the layout very well. If it is your 1st time on the course make sure you play with someone who knows the course and can show you were the next tee box is, or you will just seem like your on a nature hike.

Wonderful!

1    12/26/2014   2/13/2015
Review By: wjdgilbert
Pros: I loved the challenge of this course. A good variety of uphill and downhill throws with beautiful views from the elevated tee boxes. Hard to believe this was once a landfill.
Cons: - It is very likely you will loose a disc or two in these trees, bring bright colored discs!
- Each hole has 3 pin locations and they are all listed on the hole maps, but they have no system to indicate which of the pin locations you are using and it seemed to vary by hole. Had to do a lot of extra walking on an already long course to scout out where the basket actually was.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9