Durham, NC
Valley Springs Park Share
Uploaded By: kunipshunfit Hole #9 (Taken 2/2009)
3 / 189ft.   3 / 215ft.   4 / 381ft.   4 / 355ft. Par / Distance:

Share URL:

I suck at disc golf.

1    4/27/2012   5/9/2012
Review By: Connor Jones
Pros: Extremely tight and technical
The baskets catch well
Not too much backtracking that I can remember, pretty easy to navigate IMO
Rewards you for well played shots, lots of tight lines out here, but nothing that can't be hit
Cons: My main con is the teepads, it's not like I need a huge running start, especially on a course that plays like this one, but they were just so tiny and sucky that it was annoying.
Other Thoughts: I couldn't think of a lot of pros and cons, but I will fill this section up.

I played out here with BroD & SloppyDisc so I didn't really have to worry about much except golf as they have played there before. We played the longs and holy shit on a stick, this course is brutal.

There were a few holes that were a little ridiculous, not like they were impossible to execute, but just the fact that there were 3 or 4 in a row that required you to nail this 4 foot gap while still getting like a 350 foot+ drive with a forest surrounding you, no big deal, right?

Regardless I had a lot of fun out of here, the sad part is I think I won with a score of around +13, I'm not great, but I ain't that bad, so that should give you an idea of the level of difficulty the pro tees involve.

If I were to go back, I would definitely play the intermediate tees for a more balanced round, this is a really fun course, with some really cool holes honestly, some very cool pin locations, and the last four bonus holes are unique compared to the rest of the course, allowing you to air some out a bit more.

I do recommend making a trip out here, it is worth it!

Old & Repetitive

1    4/1/2012   4/2/2012
Review By: KniceZ
Pros: Very good signs
- Best part is was the distance information
- Basic info on other tee pads

Multiple tee pad locations
- We played the intermediates but it was obvious that the different pad locations would provide tremendous completely different course

Multiple lanes from tee pads to pin on many holes.
Cons: Nothing but wooded holes.
- the Fairways are very narrow and if you don't stay in them you'll be in another holes fairway and often have no hope of recovering for par or sometimes even bogey.

The basket are very hard to spot.
- Not a problem for someone familar with the course but since it was our first time I sometimes just threw down the fairway and figured I find the basket once I got closer.
- Get some bright paint for the top marker or pole.

Some commented on good variety but I got tired of the narrow straight and left doglegs. Maybe it's because I'm very RHBH dominant but it seems like on most of the holes any drive that faded at all was out of the fairway.

I don't think I've ever seen a course with so little grass.

While the multiple tee pads are a plus I found them to be very small.
- basically only usefull for straight run up.
- I ended up doing standing drives a lot just because of the danger of stepping off the pads.

It would really help if some of the smaller underbrush was cut from the edges of the fairways and around a couple of the pins.
- This would allow for more possiblity to recover from the slightly off fairway drive.
- It seemed like I either scored par or two over or most holes.
Other Thoughts: While the more advanced players may find this challenging, I ended up bored and frustrated by the repetitive wooded tunnel shots.

My wife (rec level player) basically gave up and started laughing about hitting every tree.

Overall the course is showing it's age - old baskets, small pads, limited opportunity to use anything longer than a speed 7/8 (from the whites).

We picked this course because we were passing through, it was just off I-85, and it was fairly highly rated. Maybe I'm a little over critical but after playing it I certainly couldn't give it a 3.5+.

This may be a great place to some but not one to bring Rec or lower Intermediates.

Instant Favorite

1    3/30/2012   4/1/2012
Review By: vegthura
Pros: Great course and fantastic signage. I've had this one on my list to try for a while and it will now be a go to course. Some of the holes are tight but very reasonable.
Cons: Wish the baskets were easier to see.

I wish I discovered this one earlier

2-4    2/1/2012   2/1/2012
Review By: pfpro
This review was updated on 1/1/2013
Pros: - the course is immaculate, no trash in the rough, etc. I attribute this to two things: 1) it's remote, so there aren't random delinquents cutting through and 2) the local DGC takes care of it.
- You can legitimately play every hole (first 18) 3 ways. If you share a teepad (white/blue), there a permanent second "pro" basket. As mentioned, reds will be putter only, whites are longer with open lanes p and blues are longer and/or tighter.
- the signage is good. Since the tee pads are split at some holes, there are great signs showing what direction as well as tasteful colored spray paint dots on trees leading down the paths.
- The back half of the course is pleasantly long (> 300') from the Pros. It is a wooded course, but you can "air it out" in a controlled fashion.
- Good mix of holes - it just may not seem like it because all the short ones tend to be in the front.
- Great use of the elevation changes.
- I love the fact that when there are multiple baskets, the pro baskets go right to the pro pads for the next hole. It's a very nice little design touch.
Cons: Ticky-tack stuff:
- The front holes are a little tight (from a layout perspective) - I tend to play at low volume times, so it's no biggie for me.
- The sign says par 3 on 18 from the blue - No Way. On this site it says 4, so I'm OK with that.
- Really wish they had Innova Discatchers so you could see the Yellow bands. The baskets can be a little tricky to see. Some had neon nylon tape that helped.
- whether you play 18 or 22, the end is not near parking - not a big deal, just not the "perfect" layout.
Other Thoughts: - I enjoyed the white, and really enjoyed the blues. Yes, some of the gaps are tough (note hole 16, why is the teepad pointing at brush?
- I love the elevation changes. Early on in the course, you are playing across a valley between different park facilities. There are some blue teepads that are up stairs and shooting little gaps - pretty cool.
- "Fore More" - 19-22 are just frosting on the cake. There is only one teepad (white), but they play like the blues on the regular course. If you are playing a rec round - you will be punished by 19, 20 and 22. There is an alternate teepad on 22 letting you bomb off the tee into the woods.
- The pro-basket is missing on 7.

The Traveler

1    4/24/2011   4/24/2011
Review By: Alex Torres
Pros: This is a great course to play. It is set -up for all levels of players. Great signs showing all the pad location even the next tee. Nice tight wooded hole with long dog legs, swtch backs and straight up long shots. Benches on all the hole with trash cans. This course was enjoyable to play.
Cons: None
Other Thoughts: Build more courses like this one. This is a great example of fun and challenging course to play.

Wooded goodness, but that's all you get, like eating pizza every day for a month

1    11/8/2010   11/16/2010
Review By: superberry
This review was updated on 11/22/2010
Pros: 3 sets of tees on every hole for player skill variety galore. Sometimes the tees are shared, but then the blue players play to a longer (permanently installed) blue pin. This setup offers a lot of variety for player skill level. Often times the blue tee is way off to the side or behind the other tees and drastically changes the shot (but often eliminates a multiple route fairway too, leaving just one tight route). Sometimes the Blue tee opens up its own split fairway alternate routes, essentially having 3-4 total routes per hole. The only drawback with the Blue pins is that they are just longer. A great idea would have been to have another split fairway with multiple routes after the white pin to get back to the blue pin. The blues can add a lot more challenge and really tighten up fairways while adding a lot of distance, the whites are ace runs for advanced players, and the reds are a putter only style course, probably a real fun speed round)
Alternate pins here are also present on every hole I believe from reading the signs. They are ID'd on the signs too by position in even or odd months.
This wooded valley has some excellent terrain. The elevation changes must be nearly 50' on some holes and all are under a canopy of large thick trees in a mature forest. The designers left plenty trees in place to shape your drives in multiple ways.
The tee signs are great. They are very depictive although my opinion is that they didn't show enough fairway curvature at times (or too much other times). They clearly displayed all the tees and where and when to play the blue pins if necessary.
#6 is a nice long wooded 350' hole that offers enough room to s-curve a drive down the fairway (a deuce was NICE here). #7 has some nice netting on the back side of the tee to protect you from those players driving down #6. This is a nice touch and sign that disc golf gets some recognition. #12 is a nice long downhill anny (RHBH). #17 was a nice curved fairway to the left up a ridge, and then another 150' tunnel back to the blue pin. #18 has a blue tee placed way behind the white tee and downhill of a good sized ridge.
The area is fairly nice and secluded. Although when baseball and soccer games are held I'd imagine it is a zoo.
Cons: The entire course lacks variety of hole/terrain type. There is no water or obvious OB in play. There are no long or high downhill bombers. There are no open holes whatsoever to really rip on. While balance is good within the woods, it's all just woods.
None of the greens are really risky (the pin placements I played). While the blue course is challenging enough, alternate pins on the edge of some of the ridges would introduce even more risk with rollaways.
Rather than just an all long pin or all short pin mix in alternating months, the pin positions should mix long/short on every other hole for given time periods. You create amazing variety of course layout this way with 4 (or more) pin location layouts as well as those three tees!!
While the length isn't too extreme requiring long approaches, I though the concrete tees were still short and narrow. I've seen much worse though.
#16 didn't seem to have much for a fairway off the blue tee, but then after throwing I saw the actual pin location and went back to re-tee. (hint, for a RHBH, turn over a stable driver to go around the pig pine in the middle, and allow that stable driver to fade back long to the left and get near the pin).
Other Thoughts: I did not play foremoor due to time, so am only reviewing the 18 hole course as played from the Blue tees.
This course was extremely fun to play because I love wooded courses! However I found myself losing patience and interest in it because it was just the same wooded valley style hole over and over. I didn't satisfy my itch for variety of hole/terrain type here. But I fail to see how I can give this course too low of a grade because the amazing variety in the design with three tees tee layouts, and multiple pin placements. While this one will be amazingly fun to play for anyone who loves wooded valleys (advanced players from blue, newbies from red), it could still wear you down if you shank too much and it won't satisfy any craving for variety. Relative to other courses I've played, I'd say my personal fun factor and "would I rather play another course in the area" relative ranking will put this course as a 3.0. So VERY close to a 3.5, but I think it was just the personal factor and the rest of the courses that keeps me from rating higher. I honestly loved playing here, it was a blast and the options off the tees are superb. It's just overly repetitive. It is just as good as the other 3.5 disc courses I've rated as far as how it plays, but simply lacks variety. What the heck, let's go with a 3.5.
With UNC and Leigh Farm in Durham, I don't think I'd play this one again, but I don't regret playing it.
I'd say this is indeed a Red/White/Blue skill level course for sure. Each tee offers a change between skill levels. There are plenty of forced shot types all the trees, but multiple routes leave you with options. I never play as well my first time through a course, but it did challenge me a good amount with all the tight woods and added distance playing Blue. I would have liked to play the other tees here for some fun ace runs if I had more time.
(The order of favorites on my Raleigh trip is as follows - UNC, Leigh Farms, Harris Lake, Cedar Hills, Zebulon, Middle Creek, and Valley Springs. UNC and Leigh farms were runaway winners but with vastly different reasons. Harris Lake was repetitive being almost all wooded, but real fun to play and lots of risk. Cedar Hills, Zeb, and Middle creek were all tied around the average for different reasons. Valley Springs was very fun, but repetitively grueling.)

1    5/27/2010   6/15/2010
Review By: heelboycraig
Pros: If you like tight, wooded courses, Valley Springs is the one for you. This now holds my unofficial record for least amount of grass seen growing on any course I've played.
- Course has multiple tee locations giving each hole different looks. Some holes also have multiple pin placements adding another element of variety.
- Course has a variety of hole layouts - good use of elevation to create some good up & down holes. Course really seemed to love dogleg holes, (it seemed to be an abnormally high amount of holes), but at least they went both directions.
- Course puts almost all its emphasis on accuracy instead of distance. From the two shorter layouts, even the average arms will only need mid-range discs off most tees.
- Great tee signs - clear, concise. A perfect example of what they should look like.
- Nice, big map on kiosk by first hole. Kiosk also clearly lists what pin placements the baskets are in. One of my DG pet peeves is when courses don't identify pin placements, so good job here for Valley Springs.
- A true risk/reward course. Play aggressive, and avoid trees, and you'll see lots of birdie chances. Play aggressive and hit trees, and you'll start seeing bogeys or worse on your scorecard. Some holes really punish bad shots that go into the woods, leaving you only a shot to get back into the fairway instead of advancing towards the basket.
Cons: Valley Springs has one enormous flaw that stuck out so much to me, it took away from the overall quality of the course, and my playing experience.
- The course layout is way, way, way too tight. Not the holes themselves, but the spacing between holes. Many holes play next to another one with less than 20 feet, and several trees between fairways. When you have a shot sail only slightly right or left, and land in another hole's fairway, it's too narrow. The one time I played the course, there were 4 holes where the group ahead or behind me had a shot land in my fairway (or the edge of it), or my shot landed in their fairway.
- Another example of too much in too small is space is the netting that protects the teepad for #7 from the #6 fairway. When you need to put up a net for the safety of players, it's a sign of being too tight.
- The signage between holes could be better. Again with the holes so close, there's some confusion because there are so many paths that lead to multiple holes.
- I didn't notice many benches or trash cans throughout the course. A few more, especially on the back 9, would be a nice touch.
- No water fountains or restrooms once you're on the course, just back at the parking lot. The bathroom was in really poor shape, which was a little surprising for such a well-used park.
Other Thoughts: If this course was spaced out better, this would be a really good course and I'd understand why so many people have given 3.5+ ratings.
- Again, I have nothing against fairways so close or overlapping (many courses I've played have close fairways like Sugaw Creek and New Quarter Park), but there were too many here. I almost felt the thin line of trees might have made it worse, because you couldn't see discs flying your direction, or into your fairway, until they landed. I feel this could be a big problem when the course is packed.
- I feel that if there was enough room to add four more holes, they could have instead spaced out the original 18 and eliminated the problem.
- This is a good course that really offers a challenge. It reminds me of a lighter version of Johnson Street Park in High Point. It's definetly worth checking out, just keep an eye out for flying discs.

Devilish good time.

2-4    5/31/2010   5/31/2010
Review By: BrotherDave
Pros: 22 well defined holes in the wilderness of Durham. Very wooded but not extremely so at all, most fairways are fairly easy to hit for the average player like myself. Pretty good use of elevation and the hole variety is pretty solid. This is improved vastly by the 3 sets of tees on every hole but the last 4 and the alternate baskets. A fairly pretty course in terms of scenery, and it has better than average length, especially from the pro tees. Capable of seeing some critters here. Four Moor are a great addition to the course, being nice par 4s that require good disc placement for the average player to score well. Great tee signs.
Cons: The course is kind of monotonous or perhaps homogeneous. The shot variety is good enough, the problem is every hole looks basically the same because they're virtually all in the same woods that don't change at all in terms of features and scenery. The tees are kind of narrow too, which could be a problem for long-legged fellows. Four Moor kind of dumps you out at the other end of park so the walk to your car is a little annoying. Some of the pro tees seemed to share the feature of early tree danger, with stupid tight gaps for you to hit just 15-25' in front of the tee. Some of the holes are kind of cramped near each other so this is not the most secluded course if you're a player that doesn't like seeing other players on other holes.
Other Thoughts: Probably the best course in Durham and is capable of pleasing noobs and pros alike with its tee and basket variety and 22 holes. If the woods weren't so homogeneous or if it mixed up an open hole or two here and there it would score a lot higher, but that's my preference. If you really like wooded courses with moderate challenge, this is your course.

Favorite/Signature hole: #17. The most secluded (and therefore prettiest) hole on the course I think, a slight hyzer shot that must be approached on a fairly higher line.

The problem isn't that it's short

1    4/15/2010   4/17/2010
Review By: Anger Monsoon
Pros: Nice signage; a pretty, leafy course; multiple tees; good grooming; plenty of ace runs for shorter arms; often tight shots and good difficulty from the long tees. The designers packed a lot of course into a very small area. The newer holes (19-22) and 18 are excellent additions: necessary in fact. You won't lose a disc on this course. It plays quickly, so you can get a couple rounds in.

Hole 18 from the long tee is excellent, and the extra 4 are pretty good, hole 21 probably being the best (because it's the least typical in terms of this course).
Cons: Very repetitive. My issue with the course isn't its length (it's not a long course until you get to 18-22, though a couple of the long tees add significant difficulty), but there are only three kinds of holes, and they're repeated pretty often (with a couple happy exceptions): there's a 180-270' dogleg left, a 180-270' dogleg right, and a 180-270' straight ahead. And these more or less repeat in that order. Many of the holes are beautiful, but expect to throw the same hole and the same shot over and over. The elevation plays about the same: most of the time you're throwing from a slightly elevated tee across a depression to an elevated green. Sometimes that changes. But there's not going to be a lot of variety for better players.

Don't get me wrong: some of the holes are hard, with very small gaps between trees that you have to hit, especially if you play the long tees, but I really wish they'd have found a way to vary the challenges more to provide a more rewarding experience.

Even when you get to 19, you're excited to see a 450' bomb hole with a big ole dogleg left. That's an excellent hole with a little stream before the green. But then you get to hole 20, and guess what? It's ANOTHER 450' dogleg left. Really? At least you can air a few long shots out, but disappointing. I don't know what land was available, but it seems to me there's probably a way to make a much better and more various 18-hole course given the land available and cleared out. Also the holes are so tightly packed together that it's easy to throw on the next teepad or onto the previous fairway if you're not careful. They have nets up in a few places to protect the tees, which is a good idea.
Other Thoughts: As one of only the two (at the time) 4-star-rated courses in the triangle area, I played this one, but it's hard to buy this as a four-star course. Probably should have played the UNC course which looks more various and challenging, which is what I'd recommend if you're in town and want more variety. Still, it's a good enough course. If I lived here, I'd play it. Probably fun to play doubles and ace run holes here.

BEST COURSE IN DURHAM

1    4/1/2010   4/1/2010
Review By: mhdisc03
Pros: 3 sets of pads, short is womens pad. back pads are awsome, so tight it hurts your mind. has nets to protect you from errant shots from others. long slight elevaton changes just great for the long woods game
Cons: back pads are not as defient as the should be. but none the less REAL HARD
Other Thoughts: locals in durham are great doubles tourneys are fun as heck