Durham, NC
Valley Springs Park Share
Uploaded By: kunipshunfit Hole #4 (Taken 2/2009)
3 / 180ft.   3 / 225ft.   3 / 275ft.   3 / 275ft. Par / Distance:

Best Course Around

5+    8/18/2013   8/18/2013
Review By: TheDudeManatee
Pros: I've been to this course so many times that it feels like home. The fairways are a perfect mix between wide open clear fairways and overly difficult fairways. The holes are some of the best I've seen at dropping the frisbee into the basket. 19-22 are also very fun if you have extra time. There is several tee pad options too. There is tourneys every Thursday at 6 if you want
Cons: All the tee shots are curving left. This is bad for rightys but if you are better with your flick like me that this is your course.
Other Thoughts: Not sure what to say... I guess bring a super straight driver like the avenger ss.

Best of the Local Woods

2-4    6/3/2013   6/3/2013
Review By: reposado
This review was updated on 7/15/2013
Pros: There's not a ton that stands out at Valley Springs. It's just consistently very good. The holes are cleanly cut: they force tight lines along identifiable fairways. They punish inaccurate drives. If you are off the mark, you will hit a tree, but at least on the white tees, there aren't random trees that you will randomly hit with a good shot.

There's a bunch of different lines too. Left, right and straight shots are combined with mild elevation changes to make each shot somewhat different, at least in your approach.

It's very clean and above all dry. When the other courses in the area are bogged down after the rain, Valley Springs is the first to dry out. Outside of the trees there is little brush which means, less bugs and less time looking for discs.

That last is especially key as you can play a round quickly here. Last time I played, we finished quickly enough that we got in an additional round from the red tees.(and if the standard holes are fast, the red tees support lightning speed.)

The signs are great, the next tee arrows are perfectly used and the maintenance level is high.
Cons: There's not a ton of variety here. There's not really a standout hole until the bonus area. The majority of tees leas into a fairly tight fairway with trees close on either side. The shot is constricted along its path, which typically is between 180 and 320 feet. (So there's not much length either.)

The red tees, which I'd hoped would offer some ace possibilities, had some strange lines. They are easier in the sense that your score will likely be lower, but the white tees are superior in every way.

My biggest gripe though, and the one that almost bumps it down to a 3, are the tees. They are uniformly cement. They are nice and flat and point in the right direction. But they are really just too narrow. Feel like I can't get a full run up on any of them.
Other Thoughts: There are four bonus holes. The first two are basically longer versions of the holes on the course. Unfortunately, they both curve heavily to the left, so I essentially hate them.

21 is something special though. The green and most of the fairway is in what I would best describe as a secret garden. There is no trampoline, like in the episode of Community, but its fairly surreal. The final hole gives you two different options for tees but regardless of which tees you used for the regular course, use the blue tee here. It shoots from that garden back into the woods.

In to the woods

5+    5/10/2012   6/19/2012
Review By: New013
This review was updated on 8/27/2013
Pros: Layout - It's a 22 hole technical wooded course with three tees and a few rotating pins.

It's a bit longer than the other wooded technical courses in the Triangle. You'll find yourself letting your mids fly and pulling out a driver a time or two.

It's primarily a gap hitting course from the front two tees although there are a few holes where you'll want to place your shot well to set up an approach. Even the shorts here aren't that short, only a few holes are pitch and putt types and they're still through wooded fairways.

From the long tees you'll get a serious challenge. There's a lot of tight early gaps that'll make you think twice while you're also trying to place your shot nicely to set up an approach. The long tees are more of a survival test on some holes because they use the course elevation to really make things hard.

The different tees are done well, they give you a new look at the hole from each one.

There's a good amount of elevation changes on the course and it's used very well. A lot of times an errant tee shot will leave you looking at a long uphill approach to a tricky green area.

The greens are really nicely done here, they're challenging to hit and in a few places they'll make your putt challenging. Some are on hills and make you wary of rollaways.

There's a lot of doglegs on the course and some have some pretty tight lines on top of elevation changes. You'll need a variety of shots in your arsenal and the ability to be creative.

After the first 18 you hit Fore More which is four extra holes. These holes really change up the feeling of the course. Three are long and require a placement drive to setup a long approach or couple of approaches.

The entire course is full of risk/reward but the last four embody the term. If you try to bite of to much on your drive you'll pay and likely be shooting a high number. Especially on 21 which is a short mostly open shot but beware, the basket sits right on the edge of a 30' drop off.

The course flows well on top of everything, it's always pretty easy to see where you're going.

Equipment - Really good signage on this course. Explains each tee and shows you lines with distances. A few trashcans are located throughout the park.

Atmosphere - It's a nice wooded park that keeps you pretty secluded for the most part. It's seldom crowded and usually kept pretty clean from what I've seen. One of the better wooded areas for a course in the Triangle.
Cons: Layout - My main con for this course is that it gives you a lot of the same thing. Yeah the shots change up but it's all tight wooded shots. The scenery never really changes and it gets a big monotonous.

A lot of the fairways run right next to each other as well. I've never had a problem with it because the course is never really crowded but it could be a problem; that also goes along with the everything seems the same deal.

Equipment - For me the pads are to small here, you're making some solid drives out there and I like a bit more room for that. The baskets are aging as well.

Atmosphere - For me it's just a bit to wooded, I like to come out of the woods a bit on a course to get some balance. I know that's not everybody but for me one or two more open holes in a grassy field makes a course. There's no grass here until you hit 21 and that's about it.
Other Thoughts: Overall I like Valley and think it's a solid wooded technical course that offers different variety via different tees and pins.

It's not a must hit but it's a very solid course and worth a play if you're in the area.

A very Challenging course

2-4    5/13/2012   5/15/2012
Review By: xb400
Pros: The course it's self is very well maintained with no clutter in the fair ways.
There is "Fore more" that provide a great challenge to those who are just not satisfied after 18.
All the tee pads are in good condition for the most part with some new pads mixed in.
there are 2 pin placements for each hole sometimes more depending on the season.
Cons: There was a lot of broken glass around the tees, be careful.
some stairs are in much need attention ie. #1 Blue.
Other Thoughts: Like most places this time of year there are a lot of ticks. watch for them. I had at least one on me per round and I still found more when I returned home.

I had a great time at this course, and I will return. Thank you to the Bull City Disc Club for putting on a great weekend event.

I suck at disc golf.

1    4/27/2012   5/9/2012
Review By: Connor Jones
Pros: Extremely tight and technical
The baskets catch well
Not too much backtracking that I can remember, pretty easy to navigate IMO
Rewards you for well played shots, lots of tight lines out here, but nothing that can't be hit
Cons: My main con is the teepads, it's not like I need a huge running start, especially on a course that plays like this one, but they were just so tiny and sucky that it was annoying.
Other Thoughts: I couldn't think of a lot of pros and cons, but I will fill this section up.

I played out here with BroD & SloppyDisc so I didn't really have to worry about much except golf as they have played there before. We played the longs and holy shit on a stick, this course is brutal.

There were a few holes that were a little ridiculous, not like they were impossible to execute, but just the fact that there were 3 or 4 in a row that required you to nail this 4 foot gap while still getting like a 350 foot+ drive with a forest surrounding you, no big deal, right?

Regardless I had a lot of fun out of here, the sad part is I think I won with a score of around +13, I'm not great, but I ain't that bad, so that should give you an idea of the level of difficulty the pro tees involve.

If I were to go back, I would definitely play the intermediate tees for a more balanced round, this is a really fun course, with some really cool holes honestly, some very cool pin locations, and the last four bonus holes are unique compared to the rest of the course, allowing you to air some out a bit more.

I do recommend making a trip out here, it is worth it!

Old & Repetitive

1    4/1/2012   4/2/2012
Review By: KniceZ
Pros: Very good signs
- Best part is was the distance information
- Basic info on other tee pads

Multiple tee pad locations
- We played the intermediates but it was obvious that the different pad locations would provide tremendous completely different course

Multiple lanes from tee pads to pin on many holes.
Cons: Nothing but wooded holes.
- the Fairways are very narrow and if you don't stay in them you'll be in another holes fairway and often have no hope of recovering for par or sometimes even bogey.

The basket are very hard to spot.
- Not a problem for someone familar with the course but since it was our first time I sometimes just threw down the fairway and figured I find the basket once I got closer.
- Get some bright paint for the top marker or pole.

Some commented on good variety but I got tired of the narrow straight and left doglegs. Maybe it's because I'm very RHBH dominant but it seems like on most of the holes any drive that faded at all was out of the fairway.

I don't think I've ever seen a course with so little grass.

While the multiple tee pads are a plus I found them to be very small.
- basically only usefull for straight run up.
- I ended up doing standing drives a lot just because of the danger of stepping off the pads.

It would really help if some of the smaller underbrush was cut from the edges of the fairways and around a couple of the pins.
- This would allow for more possiblity to recover from the slightly off fairway drive.
- It seemed like I either scored par or two over or most holes.
Other Thoughts: While the more advanced players may find this challenging, I ended up bored and frustrated by the repetitive wooded tunnel shots.

My wife (rec level player) basically gave up and started laughing about hitting every tree.

Overall the course is showing it's age - old baskets, small pads, limited opportunity to use anything longer than a speed 7/8 (from the whites).

We picked this course because we were passing through, it was just off I-85, and it was fairly highly rated. Maybe I'm a little over critical but after playing it I certainly couldn't give it a 3.5+.

This may be a great place to some but not one to bring Rec or lower Intermediates.

Instant Favorite

1    3/30/2012   4/1/2012
Review By: vegthura
Pros: Great course and fantastic signage. I've had this one on my list to try for a while and it will now be a go to course. Some of the holes are tight but very reasonable.
Cons: Wish the baskets were easier to see.

I wish I discovered this one earlier

2-4    2/1/2012   2/1/2012
Review By: pfpro
This review was updated on 1/1/2013
Pros: - the course is immaculate, no trash in the rough, etc. I attribute this to two things: 1) it's remote, so there aren't random delinquents cutting through and 2) the local DGC takes care of it.
- You can legitimately play every hole (first 18) 3 ways. If you share a teepad (white/blue), there a permanent second "pro" basket. As mentioned, reds will be putter only, whites are longer with open lanes p and blues are longer and/or tighter.
- the signage is good. Since the tee pads are split at some holes, there are great signs showing what direction as well as tasteful colored spray paint dots on trees leading down the paths.
- The back half of the course is pleasantly long (> 300') from the Pros. It is a wooded course, but you can "air it out" in a controlled fashion.
- Good mix of holes - it just may not seem like it because all the short ones tend to be in the front.
- Great use of the elevation changes.
- I love the fact that when there are multiple baskets, the pro baskets go right to the pro pads for the next hole. It's a very nice little design touch.
Cons: Ticky-tack stuff:
- The front holes are a little tight (from a layout perspective) - I tend to play at low volume times, so it's no biggie for me.
- The sign says par 3 on 18 from the blue - No Way. On this site it says 4, so I'm OK with that.
- Really wish they had Innova Discatchers so you could see the Yellow bands. The baskets can be a little tricky to see. Some had neon nylon tape that helped.
- whether you play 18 or 22, the end is not near parking - not a big deal, just not the "perfect" layout.
Other Thoughts: - I enjoyed the white, and really enjoyed the blues. Yes, some of the gaps are tough (note hole 16, why is the teepad pointing at brush?
- I love the elevation changes. Early on in the course, you are playing across a valley between different park facilities. There are some blue teepads that are up stairs and shooting little gaps - pretty cool.
- "Fore More" - 19-22 are just frosting on the cake. There is only one teepad (white), but they play like the blues on the regular course. If you are playing a rec round - you will be punished by 19, 20 and 22. There is an alternate teepad on 22 letting you bomb off the tee into the woods.
- The pro-basket is missing on 7.

The Traveler

1    4/24/2011   4/24/2011
Review By: Alex Torres
Pros: This is a great course to play. It is set -up for all levels of players. Great signs showing all the pad location even the next tee. Nice tight wooded hole with long dog legs, swtch backs and straight up long shots. Benches on all the hole with trash cans. This course was enjoyable to play.
Cons: None
Other Thoughts: Build more courses like this one. This is a great example of fun and challenging course to play.

Wooded goodness, but that's all you get, like eating pizza every day for a month

1    11/8/2010   11/16/2010
Review By: superberry
This review was updated on 11/22/2010
Pros: 3 sets of tees on every hole for player skill variety galore. Sometimes the tees are shared, but then the blue players play to a longer (permanently installed) blue pin. This setup offers a lot of variety for player skill level. Often times the blue tee is way off to the side or behind the other tees and drastically changes the shot (but often eliminates a multiple route fairway too, leaving just one tight route). Sometimes the Blue tee opens up its own split fairway alternate routes, essentially having 3-4 total routes per hole. The only drawback with the Blue pins is that they are just longer. A great idea would have been to have another split fairway with multiple routes after the white pin to get back to the blue pin. The blues can add a lot more challenge and really tighten up fairways while adding a lot of distance, the whites are ace runs for advanced players, and the reds are a putter only style course, probably a real fun speed round)
Alternate pins here are also present on every hole I believe from reading the signs. They are ID'd on the signs too by position in even or odd months.
This wooded valley has some excellent terrain. The elevation changes must be nearly 50' on some holes and all are under a canopy of large thick trees in a mature forest. The designers left plenty trees in place to shape your drives in multiple ways.
The tee signs are great. They are very depictive although my opinion is that they didn't show enough fairway curvature at times (or too much other times). They clearly displayed all the tees and where and when to play the blue pins if necessary.
#6 is a nice long wooded 350' hole that offers enough room to s-curve a drive down the fairway (a deuce was NICE here). #7 has some nice netting on the back side of the tee to protect you from those players driving down #6. This is a nice touch and sign that disc golf gets some recognition. #12 is a nice long downhill anny (RHBH). #17 was a nice curved fairway to the left up a ridge, and then another 150' tunnel back to the blue pin. #18 has a blue tee placed way behind the white tee and downhill of a good sized ridge.
The area is fairly nice and secluded. Although when baseball and soccer games are held I'd imagine it is a zoo.
Cons: The entire course lacks variety of hole/terrain type. There is no water or obvious OB in play. There are no long or high downhill bombers. There are no open holes whatsoever to really rip on. While balance is good within the woods, it's all just woods.
None of the greens are really risky (the pin placements I played). While the blue course is challenging enough, alternate pins on the edge of some of the ridges would introduce even more risk with rollaways.
Rather than just an all long pin or all short pin mix in alternating months, the pin positions should mix long/short on every other hole for given time periods. You create amazing variety of course layout this way with 4 (or more) pin location layouts as well as those three tees!!
While the length isn't too extreme requiring long approaches, I though the concrete tees were still short and narrow. I've seen much worse though.
#16 didn't seem to have much for a fairway off the blue tee, but then after throwing I saw the actual pin location and went back to re-tee. (hint, for a RHBH, turn over a stable driver to go around the pig pine in the middle, and allow that stable driver to fade back long to the left and get near the pin).
Other Thoughts: I did not play foremoor due to time, so am only reviewing the 18 hole course as played from the Blue tees.
This course was extremely fun to play because I love wooded courses! However I found myself losing patience and interest in it because it was just the same wooded valley style hole over and over. I didn't satisfy my itch for variety of hole/terrain type here. But I fail to see how I can give this course too low of a grade because the amazing variety in the design with three tees tee layouts, and multiple pin placements. While this one will be amazingly fun to play for anyone who loves wooded valleys (advanced players from blue, newbies from red), it could still wear you down if you shank too much and it won't satisfy any craving for variety. Relative to other courses I've played, I'd say my personal fun factor and "would I rather play another course in the area" relative ranking will put this course as a 3.0. So VERY close to a 3.5, but I think it was just the personal factor and the rest of the courses that keeps me from rating higher. I honestly loved playing here, it was a blast and the options off the tees are superb. It's just overly repetitive. It is just as good as the other 3.5 disc courses I've rated as far as how it plays, but simply lacks variety. What the heck, let's go with a 3.5.
With UNC and Leigh Farm in Durham, I don't think I'd play this one again, but I don't regret playing it.
I'd say this is indeed a Red/White/Blue skill level course for sure. Each tee offers a change between skill levels. There are plenty of forced shot types all the trees, but multiple routes leave you with options. I never play as well my first time through a course, but it did challenge me a good amount with all the tight woods and added distance playing Blue. I would have liked to play the other tees here for some fun ace runs if I had more time.
(The order of favorites on my Raleigh trip is as follows - UNC, Leigh Farms, Harris Lake, Cedar Hills, Zebulon, Middle Creek, and Valley Springs. UNC and Leigh farms were runaway winners but with vastly different reasons. Harris Lake was repetitive being almost all wooded, but real fun to play and lots of risk. Cedar Hills, Zeb, and Middle creek were all tied around the average for different reasons. Valley Springs was very fun, but repetitively grueling.)