Tupelo, MS
Veteran's Park - Original Share
Uploaded By: 3456789 Hole #17 (Taken 10/2009)

King of The Hill

1    1/6/2018   3/16/2018
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (3.137 Rating) A short and technical layout cherished by its locals.
- ACEABILITY - Several chip shot woodsy ace runs in the sub 175 foot range. Players are probably 2 or 3 times more likely to ace here than at a normal course. This course has probably produced more than its fair share of new disc golf addicts as well.
- CHARACTER - Solid amenities. To start, adequate 4 by 10 concrete tees. Adequate tee signs and lots of shade at the tees. At least half of the holes had duel tees, but a couple were not well maintained. Lots of multiple basket placements. Seating at 75% percent of the tees. Restrooms and shelters are nearby as well.
- ELEVATION - This course is truly blessed to have a 50 foot hill located at the heart of the layout. It's used very well on many tee shots thankfully. Several holes have a 30 foot grade change or more. Hole (2) front tee is a 40 foot up shot that plays a whole lot longer than the listed 120 foot hole length.
- UNIQUENESS - In addition to elevation, I'd say the variety is above average. Mostly short and technical, but there are a few open shots and two 400 footers. Water is sort of in play on (5) and there are lots of great shot shaping opportunities as well with fairways cutting all sorts of directions.
- SKILL LEVEL FRIENDLY - Although the course is short. The variety, elevation and technical nature of the woods portion is going to have many higher skilled players entertained.
- QUICK PLAY - Had it not been for running into a league halfway thru, I think I would have had this one wrapped up in an hour solo. After pairing up with the league, I threw the second half in just under an hour, so I'm going to say two hours or less for a foursome.
- NATURAL BEAUTY - A lovely sloping park setting with an alluring greenscape . Pleasing elevation changes and a few picturesque water views. IMO, the best of the three Veterans Park courses in terms of beauty.
- LOCATION - As just mentioned above, there are three courses located in Veterans Park. The Thunderchief layout starts on the north side of the parking lot from the Original layout and Music Bend is located across the street of Veteran's Memorial Blvd. In addition to the courses, Elvis's Birthplace is located across the street on the south side of the park.

Cons: The King would have been pound of this one.
- NO LONGER 27 HOLES - Over half of the reviews are from when this course was 27 holes instead of the current 18. Apparently in 2013, the open part of the old 27 hole layout was parceled off for the Thunderchief layout. I'm fairly certain I would have rated the 27 hole layout a weak 3.5 as the variety factor would have greatly increased.
- LACK OF CHALLENGE - The difficulty is the course's only soft spot. The course most closely aligns to the recreational level. Sure there are some needle lines and smacking trees on consecutive throws is going to occur, it's just so short that the putter play from tee is going to occur too many times for many skilled players. All stated, round scoring is going to vary wildly out here. Advanced players could throw 12 -14 down and then follow it up with a 4 down.
- PINE BEETLE - I saw several newer downed trees on my round. I was told by a local that a pine beetle outbreak has wiped out a lot of trees in the past year. A signature 5 foot wide basket guarding tree on (14) has fallen, completely changing the hole.
- CHAINS - Mach 3s that I think are showing their age a bit, One was moderately damaged (15). A local told me it was damaged in fall 2017. Perhaps it will be repaired by the next review.
- TERRAIN - A couple good hikes up (2) and (6), plus lots of trees down along fairways. One of the guys in my group had a cart and it just didn't seem worth all the hassle.

Other Thoughts: Its petty cool to have three courses all in one place. If I could rate the entire conglomerate of the three courses in one, I'd probably have it around a 3.75 rating. If I lived in town, I could easily see myself never wanting to leave town as the three at this park are really good. It seems like this course gets a lot of love and play from the locals. On my visit here I got stalled out a bit as a shotgun league round started by the time I hit hole (10). So I ended up finishing this one with three friendly locals. I also met Precious, a parrot who was one of the groups trained pet birds. Precious is the most awesome and chill bird that I've ever met.
- NAVIGATION - Its ok I guess. I don't recall much in the way off directional cues along the layout, however the flow was somewhat intuitive and I never ended up making a wrong turn. Perhaps I got lucky. Also note, no next tee call outs on the hole signage and the DGCR map link on Thunderchief (which shows both layouts) is better than the DGCR map link for this course.
- REVIEW NOTE - My 200th review. A big thanks to Dylan, Daniel and Mark for letting me tag along for part of their league round and getting to learn about the history of disc golf in Tupelo.

The Original Course At Veteran's Park Is No Hound Dog!

1    10/11/2017   10/11/2017
This review was updated on 10/19/2017
Pros: Veteran's Park is a large, beautiful park just a few minutes from Elvis Presley's childhood home. Maybe Elvis played the Original course before he moved to Memphis at age 13. The park has three disc golf courses, a popular walking path, ballfields, monuments to veterans and much more. The Original Disc Golf Course starts behind the little snow cone shack and plays around, up and over the tree covered mountain here. The course uses this delicious elevation to the max on many holes. I loved the great downhills.

The equipment here is getting a little old. Three of the concrete tee pads have huge cracks. The DGA baskets are looking kinda tired. They do have the hole #, though. The signs are simple but show the distance for both the A and B position. I appreciated the two next tee signs that I found. The arrow after hole 11 especially kept me from wandering off in the wrong direction.

The course is mostly short, hilly and technical. Hole # 4 does stretch thing out to 456'/552' and finished with the basket set about 15' from the water. And # 11 plays 360'/400' with the basket hidden behind a tree. And speaking of hiding baskets, most baskets here are strategically placed in difficult and often hidden spots. There are two holes which play up steep hillsides but there are lots of fun downhill holes like #3 which is a very steep 155' downhill throw requiring a feathery touch and my favorite, # 14, which is another short downhill Ace Run. And then, I really liked # 18, a 230' downhill requiring an anhyser throw through a gauntlet of trees.

There were a couple of tricky basket placements on slanting hillsides. Careful about the hyser skipaways.

Lots of garbage cans and benches.
Cons: Three tee pads with big cracks.

The baskets are older but catch just fine.

Overall, short technical course. Only one hole where you can really air it out.

# 9 sign missing.

A couple signs have been painted on.

Garbage cans need to be emptied.

Some cans and bottles lying around.
Other Thoughts: I really liked this little 18. Being a big fan of short downhill, touch shots, I was like a pig in slop here. My kind of course, although is it is a decent little workout with all the up and down. Definitely combine the golf here with a visit to Elvis Presley's birthplace and a nice, informative museum about his life, especially the early years here in Tupelo. Golfing and the King in Tupelo, what could be better?

Great course!

5+    4/10/2014   4/11/2014
Review By: ConnorGraham
This review was updated on 1/4/2015
Pros: A wonderful course for both amateurs and pros alike. Pro pads on some holes, on others there are alternate pin placements. This course is gorgeous in the spring and summer. Pure Mississippi land at its best. The course isn't overly long, but quite technical on the shorter holes. I feel like its a good mix. Your calves will be sore after walking the hills though! Thats a pro for me. I like exercise. Easily navigable. Lanes to the next hole are clear and apparent.
Cons: Too many walking pedestrians in the open holes during the warm months. The new hole 4 should be a par 4. Especially from the pro pad. But it is not.
Other Thoughts: All in all, this is a must play course that is taken care of nicely. Thunderchief is also a great long wide open course. AND a 3rd course is complete!! Head out for a Music Bend DGC round!!

Elvis and disc golf

1    1/20/2013   1/20/2013
Review By: igdeltnik
Pros: Lots of technical holes through some tight but not impossible woods. A few long open holes to let you bring the drivers out and change the pace. Elevation is used well and in some cases (holes 2&3) are used to the extreme.
Cons: From basket 6 to hole 7 is a climb up hill. Steel cable wire is tied from tree to tree so you have something to hold onto. Some of the fairways run close together and and errant throw can land on another holes area.
Other Thoughts: Get some hiking boots for the hills. Go see Elvis' birthplace. Play the Thunderchief course in the same park. Vet Park Original's now an 18 hole course and the last 9 have been expanded to create another 18 hole course.

All the Intangibles (Elvis Presley!)

1    6/8/2012   6/12/2012
Review By: Iowa420DG
Pros: PLAY/FLOW - This course involves every kind of shot you can imagine and all the scenery to go with it. You get water, elevation, dog legs, and finesse shots. Holes #2 & #3 were especially fun and unique with their elevation.
No navigation troubles, "next tee" signs were prevalent. Two tee pads for most holes, baskets caught well. You end up RIGHT where you started whether you play 18 or 27.

PEOPLE/SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY - I encountered the friendliest people ever on this disc golf course. Its difficult to describe, but if you're from a Southern town like this, you probably know what I mean.
A trail runs through the course, but the only people that we came across (a mother and 3 children) were very respectable and acknowledged us. They stayed clear but stopped in the distance to watch us play the hole to show the kids what disc golf was all about. The mildly added pressure was fine with me.
On the next hole, we caught up to a group of 3, who stopped and allowed us to play through without any hesitation. Some people will act as if they don't realize you're right on their tail and playing 10x faster - not these locals. They were very respectable and kind.
On the last 9 holes, I encountered a guy who had been trying for an hour to retrieve his favorite disc from the lake using a 20 lb., homemade disc retriever. He only managed to pull up loads of rocks and clams... and a DX Eagle that he gladly just GAVE to us. Most people fishing for discs are doing it for a profit -- not this guy. That was very kind of him.
The father/son working the little sno cone shop were very kind and helpful as well. They provided plenty of additional, useful, time-saving information about the last 9 when I asked them how to find #19.
Cons: I could nit pick about the last 9, but its important to keep in mind that these are "bonus" holes. Any holes after 18 are bonus, in my opinion, and can only help the rating.
The baskets on the wooded holes could really use a bright color to help identify them.
Other Thoughts: This course is located right next to Elvis Presley's birth home. This came as a pleasant surprise, and I briefly enjoyed the sightseeing and history of the museum for free.
Try a "Tiger's Blood" sno cone. It was bomb!

Solid course

2-4    5/1/2012   5/4/2012
Review By: jdogg884him
Pros: Flows well and for the most part well marked. Offers a variety of skill shots and distance open throws several wooded shorter throws and several open longer throws.
Cons: There are 27 holes and 19-27 are decent but not great. They had to remove hole 27 so they made a 22 a & b. 22b and 24 are a long way a part making the last 9 that is already a lot of walking even longer.

Very Fun

1    10/16/2010   10/16/2010
Review By: ibekent
This review was updated on 11/8/2010
Pros: This course features large, trapezoidal tees that allow full run-ups for left or right handers. It has a variety of creative and fun holes through tight, wooded fairways which often include steep (seriously steep) up or downhill runs and make good use of the natural obstacles. The elevation changes and the risks they present are short but extreme.

The course is well kept; I saw no trash. It has restrooms and water by hole 1, and nice bag hooks at most holes. The hills have hand rails and landscape steps where needed, excellent benches and trash bags at every hole, and nice, descriptive tee signs. There is little opportunity to get lost, but good directional indicators remove any doubt.

The course is set in a pristine, multi-use park but feels isolated and relaxed, as though it is off in the woods by itself. The extra back nine runs along a lake and is more integrated into the rest of the park, but is still not troubled by other park activities.
Cons: The course's biggest drawback is that it is short. A few holes are so short and easy that they feel a little like filler (but were still fun). The nine extra holes add some distance, but are so open that they don't add much to the challenge. (But they are still fun.) The only other distance holes (9-11) unfortunately cross back and forth over a walking path, which is a little dangerous. A few of the tees have dangerous drop-offs as well. The primary 18 favor forehand shots - which is a con if you don't have one I suppose.
Other Thoughts: This course was an excellent outing. It plays quickly due to the short holes and easy navigation, and despite the hills, is not exhausting. I'll definitely play it again when I want a relaxing outing with quality shots.

Hunk o burning disc golf love

1    7/5/2010   7/8/2010
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Veteran's Park has 27 holes, and the first 18 are my favorite kind of course. Lots of elevation change, working in and out of the hilly woods. Some holes are wooded and require accurate tee shots, and some are more open with longer drives to the pin. All were within reach for me, and none were frustratingly difficult. The 19th through 27th holes were longer, flatter, and more open, playing around the pond. Less fun than the original 18 IMO, but still good disc golf. Many holes have multiple concrete tee boxes and variable pin positions. All have signs and the layout is fairly easy to follow (as long as you don't mind the up and down on those hillsides).
Cons: Not overly challenging. I enjoyed it, but better players may think it a bit dull, IDK. Many of the holes on the final nine can be played with the same RHBH big hyzer drive. Also one hole in the newer section has been moved, resulting in a hole 22 followed by hole 22A, which caused brief confusion on my scorecard.
Other Thoughts: It was cool to see Elvis Presley's birthplace on the way to the course. I just wish I hadn't thrown my champion Starfire with the Pendleton King tank stamp in the water. It was my most relied on disc for quite some time now. Oh well, nothing lasts forever.

Great Workout, A Lot of Fun

1    8/9/2009   8/13/2009
Review By: BmaEngnr92
This review was updated on 8/20/2009
Pros: This course is located in a very scenic, clean park, with a large lake in the middle. The course starts and finishes at the parking lot, where there is also restrooms and a large pavillion. There are multiple pin locations and pro pads on many holes, and concrete tee pads on all holes except for the am pads on the lake holes. The course is near stores for convenience, and is just a short drive from downtown Tupelo. You'll find a huge variety of shots here from doglegs left, right, short technical holes, tunnel holes, long open holes, water holes, and uphill and downhill holes. There are nice bagholders on each tee, which will accommodate 4 bags (very cool). The signage was good as well.
Cons: Navigation might be somewhat difficult for a first timer, but shouldn't be a big deal. I played with someone who knew the course so it was a non-issue for me. A couple of the holes around the lake were a little mundane, but only compared to all the other great holes. The Am pads for 21, 22, 22A, 23, 24, 25 & 26 were crushed gravel, which takes away a bit from the rest of the course. Bugs were terrible when I was there, which I'm accustomed to being from the deep south, but may be an issue for some. Just bring some OFF and you should be fine.
Other Thoughts: Overall, a very solid course. Probably one of my favorites thus far. The course starts at the base of a hill and meanders up, down, around, over, and back over this very steep hill. To get to one of the holes you must climb "heartattack hill", which lives up to it's name, and there is even a guide wire going up to help those that need it. There are lots of tight fairways, but all were very fair; good shots get rewarded. Some of the wooded holes are short and a little gimmicky, which usually bothers me, but I found these to be very enjoyable. The last 6 holes are open and play along a lake. You really get a little bit of everything here; some holes feel like mountain holes, some like state park holes, and some like inner city park type holes. I found the challenge to be constant, but well placed shots will get you some birdies. Lots of positives here, and the cons really just seemed trivial. If I lived in Tupelo, I'd play this course weekly. I most definitely reccommend this course to anyone.

Favorite Holes: 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 11, 14, 22

Nice Surprise on a Road Trip

1    8/7/2009   8/7/2009
Review By: rolltidegopokes
Pros: This is a fun course, with it's up and downhill action. I got a great birdie on 2 with an uphill tomahawk. Lots of water hazards also. Great diversity.
Cons: The small lake/large pond in the park can get marshy when a high amount of rainfall hits and could be a great breeding ground for mosquitoes. Also the uphill grades are so intense that sometimes there are rope and chain to help people up the hill. This is not a course for someone that isn't in good shape.
Other Thoughts: Tupelo, MS is a mecca for discgolf and this course is fantastic. Clean bathrooms and picnic tables. My family and I are actually going to come up one weekend to play all 6-7 courses and this will be the first one on our list Great job, Tupelo Disc Golf Association.