Buffalo Grove, IL
Willow Stream Park Share
Uploaded By: notapro Hole #3 (Taken 11/2010)

Share URL:

1 2 3 4 Next >
 C = As average as the come for 9 holers

5+    9/18/2009   4/19/2009
This review was updated on 12/14/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up in my list of 9 hole courses:

1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == C-
(If you play the sidewalk and beyond as OB on 7 & 9 there is a little punishment on this course. Other than that, a horrible shot is not punished any worse than an OK shot. For this reason this course is below average - a grade of C- is generous in my mind.)

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I'm a Blue level player who throws 300' accurately, 360' max. == C+
(1 & 8 are too long where I have no realistic chance at a 2 and tap-in 3's are routine. 5 & 9 (and 2 somewhat) are rewarding. The rest are too short to be anything but gimme 2's. 2.5 holes out of 9 that are rewarding score-wise does not make for a high fun factor in my book.)

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == C
(Hole 9 is the only hole that really forces you to shape your shot one way or another with any challenge factor at all. There are other holes that you have to bend your shot, but with no specificity.)

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == C
(The park is clean and well maintained. Nice mowed grass and litter free. Seclusion is zilch as you are in sight and earshot of houses the entire round with the exception of hole 3.)

5) Bonus points for multi-throw holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (149 18-hole, 91 9-hole as of late 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me....that's the fun of things here. See my profile for my rating philosophy.

A simple course

2-4    4/18/2009   4/18/2009
Review By: krc1130
This review was updated on 7/12/2009
Pros: Very well maintained, easy to follow course. Concrete tees and decent baskets on all holes. Slight elevation changes on the opening holes is nice. Good course for a beginner or an easy round.
Cons: Very simple course, as there is very little by way of obstacles. Any trees on the course don't really serve as obstacles. There's a stretch of holes, I think 5, 6, and 7, that were just ridiculously short and easy. More holes were flat and boring than were elevated or somewhat interesting. The course is in the middle of a busy park, so it's easy to hit pedestrians or to have play interrupted by wandering park-goers. First hole is awful close to the parking lot, definitely dangerous for anyone parked there.
Other Thoughts: This was not an awful course, but there is very little you will find to be memorable. I had an okay time playing there, but by the time it was close to the end of our second round, I'd definitely had enough. I would say it's a good course if you're in the area or want a quick, stress-free round. There's just nothing remarkable or particularly interesting about this course.

My home course

5+    8/16/2008   8/17/2008
Review By: theseus414
This review was updated on 7/28/2009
Pros: It's close to my house.
Cons: Rush hour traffic makes getting there just 2 clicks from impossible, and once you do it is entirely to crowded. Going anytime in the afternoon results in an even split of playing and waiting to play while making fun of the tools who bring a bag full of discs to play this simple course. Also they have rent-a-cops driving around just so they can tell us not to smoke cigarettes, now that is outrageous.
Other Thoughts: It's close, and the players here are way nicer than the spoiled punks who play at Adler. I hate Libertyville people.

I was hoping for better

7/1/2008   7/1/2008
Review By: heywillard90
Pros: A large hill on the first three holes makes it interesting. No hazards. A couple distance shots (1 and 8). Very easy to navigate. Good signs for each hole.
Cons: EXTREMELY CROWDED. Most holes are very short (under '240) and open, and thus boring. You might lose your disc in the big woods the course plays around.
Other Thoughts: Maybe I would have given it a better score if it wasn's SO CROWDED. I played at about 5:00 PM on a monday. There were only a few holes that interested me, including hole 9 which is a cool one to look forward to when you go play there. I stand by my 2.5 rating because it is definitely somewhere between ok and good, but probably closer to ok. Within 10 miles there are 3 courses I would much rater play, Keller, Fink, and Adler park.

Nice practice course

6/23/2008   6/23/2008
Review By: NIBSTOOLS
Pros: Nice use of available land. Well maintained and groomed park.
Cons: Short on most holes, poses little challenge for an experienced player
Other Thoughts: This course is a perfect course for practicing your short game, or taking a newbie to and a quick lunch round.

beginner friendly

6/10/2008   6/13/2008
Review By: discNDav
Pros: Great for beginners.
Nice surburan park.
Huge cement tee boxes.
Cons: Crowded.
Not very challenging after hole 1.
Almost every tee shot was straight.
Only 9 holes.
Other Thoughts: I won't go out of the way to play this course again.

1 2 3 4 Next >