Kewaunee, WI
Winter Park Share
Uploaded By: superberry Hole #7 (Taken 10/2008)
4 / 160ft.   3 / 260ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #7 Blue Tee

Share URL:

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Average Course at Best

1    3/10/2017   9/22/2017
Review By: tbomb989
Pros: Variety of shot types.
Pretty.
Cons: Bad tees.
Hole 1 not usable due to construction.
Overgrown.
Mostly short shots.
Other Thoughts: The course's current, really high rating is a lie.

Tees are mostly short, dirt tees; there's a lot of overgrown areas; and the layout just isn't that great. There's one really cool hole which is throwing from the top of the ski hill, but the rest are meh. Nothing overly technical, nothing overly cool or out of the ordinary, and they're mostly short holes that either aren't hard enough or are trying to be hard in the wrong way by making the basket placement and fairway weird so it's just a luck shot.

Rules say I can't advertise other courses in a review so I won't name them, but how this course has a rating that matches two of the best courses in the state nearby is baffling to me. I legitimately do not understand.

This is a 2.5-3 rating course at best.

Super Underwelming

1    8/25/2017   8/28/2017
Review By: Horsman
Pros: Baskets - Discatchers are always a welcome site

Views - Just beautiful land and view all throughout the course

Easy to get to and easy parking. Seems like there could be some good amenities on the course but the ski shack was not open when I was there.

Cons: Teepads - For a course that is rated this high I would have expected some concrete teepads but instead they have worn down dirt pads that many times were not long enough to get a run up on.

The Course - I was again expecting something better from this course since it is so highly rated. Most shots were in the 250'-300' range and most had odd shots that needed to be thrown to get to the hole. Basket placements were good but lines to them were not.

There is no indicator for what pin placement the hole is in so you have to run up the fairway on every shot to know which one you are throwing to.

Everything is just overgrown, you get off the fairway or even get on the fairway and you could be looking for a while for your disc.
Other Thoughts: I would feel very comfortable covering every shot on this course with just a Roc and an Aviar which should not be the case for a course rated 4.4

Multiple holes were taken out for construction

I have heard for years about how amazing this course is and was excited to finally play it but I was completely let down and do not every plan on going back. This is just not a good course and I cant see how it is rated so high.

The potential is there, but ...

1    10/22/2016   10/24/2016
Review By: Bitter Mouse
Pros: Elevation is my favorite thing on a disc gold course and this course delivered on that. There is also plenty of technical holes and a fair variety in the 27, so that you end up using your all your discs and throws.

The views were really nice, especially on 15.
Cons: There is a bunch of wasted potential. The land is there for a world class course and it just isn't there.

The maintenance of the holes was spotty, many of the pads were temporary or rough, the extra loop holes (off shoots from the main 18) were kind of the same. The flow of the course was iffy and wasn't helped by the signage (not good in several places).

Finally the technical holes, well many of them were "throw that way and hope you miss trees, because there is not really a fairway". A couple of those is fine, but way too many.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed the course (more than the people I was with), but it could be much much better. The DG course is clearly not a priority here and it shows.

If you love elevation then this is a very good course, but bring a map and unless you love tree holes ignore the loop holes.

Great course!!!

1    8/11/2016   8/13/2016
Review By: Primer74
Pros: This place will test all your skills. Many different types of shots needed, and accuracy is important on most of the holes.
There was a lot of different types of holes, R to L, L to R, uphill, DOWNhill, water hazards, and trees.
Enjoyed the advanced part of the course, really had some tight shots.
Some incredible views, especially from the top of the hill on 15

Cons: Hole 1 and pad for two were unusable due to improvements to the park. From the posting they had up,hole one looks pretty impressive so I was bummed I didn't get to play it.
Not really a con but more a heads up. Some of the terrain is steep if you choose to take the short ways down on a couple holes. There are longer easier ways down.
Garbage cans need to be emptied
Other Thoughts: I had a great time at Winter park. I live about 30 min away and am surprised that I never knew about this place. (Thanks DGCR). Will be going back a lot and would suggest this course to anyone.

Hidden Gem

2-4    5/27/2016   6/17/2016
Review By: J.Bolton
Pros: Demanding technical course that challenges you to use all the shots you possess.
The course was easy to follow along except in my case going from hole 4 to hole 5.
I really enjoyed the additional 9 holes marked a b c d e f g h I.
There was only one other two-some the entire Saturday I was there...no stress from others!
The last four holes are all out in the "open" which is nice to really air it out after being in the woods most of the day. Hole 15 might be my favorite hole I have EVER played...a true top of the world shot looking down the ski hill some 720 ft.
I really enjoyed the hole descriptions on the course including the witty names and humor in the description but the signage itself needs to be improved.
Awesome baskets that have a bright yellow band are easy to spot amongst the trees.
Cons: Hole 1 was not available due to construction on the ski hill.
Natural tee pads and errant shots off the fairway make it nearly impossible to get a running start on your shots.
Other Thoughts: The course is going to make you work...you traverse up and down and sideways across a ski hill so be sure you are downing water.
Some of the holes almost seem impossible but if you are like me and enjoy creating shots then you should have no problem.
If you are in Green Bay, or spending a day at Rollin Ridge make this a stop of yours and you wont regret it.

Not worth the drive

2-4    4/30/2016   5/2/2016
Review By: Wetlawnmulch
Pros: 1 - No course traffic
Cons: 1 - Course can be difficult to navigate, there are some steep climbs, and signage could be slightly better.
2 - Teepads, dirt and some need work.
3 - quite a few pull and prays
Other Thoughts: We spent the whole day playing this course twice from the longs and once from the shorts. The shorts were a challenge to locate on a few holes. Don't plan on bringing cart, or have any injuries. A few of the climbs to teepads are pretty steep and it could get worst if you have errant shots on a few holes.

2-4    8/20/2015   9/8/2015
Review By: James McGirr
Pros: The course did have some very nice disc golf holes
Cons: The tree trouble on a substaincial number of other holes could be herrendus. Mosquitos could be a proublem on certain parts of course
Other Thoughts: If I lived in the area I would play the course as a decent course.I don't know that I would go out of my way to play because of all the tree trouble although it did have some very nice disc golf holes.

You'll either love it, or hate it...

2-4    8/22/2015   9/1/2015
Review By: Stardoggy
This review was updated on 4/26/2016
Pros: Winter Park is a 27 hole course set on and around a ski/sledding hill outside Kewaunee, WI.

Nice Discatcher baskets (yellow band), which show up quite nicely throughout the bountiful woods here. Most holes have a couple pin positions. Even a 5' shift in pin position here can completely change a hole. You'll find some very unique pin placements here, and long rollaways, hillside plateaus, and other obstacles help to guard them. One of my favorite parts of the course.

Elevation everywhere. Sometimes it's subtle, sometimes it's quite obvious, but there's a lot of it. The course basically plays between three hills. There's a lot of holes that run down in the gulleys between those hills. Also, hole 15 is a top o' the world shot, and super fun. 715' from the longs, and reachable if you hit it right.

One water carry, on the last hole. It's about 270' of carry, but with plenty of bailout areas. It feels pretty weird after all the tight, technical golf, but it's a fun way to end your round.

Two, and sometimes three, tee pads on most holes. They're natural pads, but in decent repair, as there's not a ton of traffic here. A decent amount of them are adding just distance, but here, that can change the entire complexion of a hole.

So Winter Park is a conundrum. Some people (like me) absolutely love it...others, not so much. Even from the blue tees, it's not particularly long. Winter Park beats you down with some of the tightest lines you'll ever see. If you have the imagination to see the lines, they're there. If you are used to open fields and wide fairways, you'll look at many of the holes here and think they're not fair. To me, they're awesome. You have to hone in hard off the tee, and you'll test your recovery/approach skills in ways you never have before. It's something completely different in this area of WI, but it couldn't be a better complement to other highly rated area courses.

While WP is mostly tight, wooded golf, there are a number of more open holes as well. Even on these holes, though, an errant shot will be punished. The rough here isn't thick (you'll have a hard time actually losing a disc), but it can be dense. Not a lot of undergrowth, but plenty of obstacles.

The tee signs here are decent, and give distances and hole numbers.
Cons: Navigation here can be a bit wonky, especially for first timers. Having a map will help tremendously. There are signs out that help with the lettered holes, but it certainly wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to just renumber all the holes here, to make it less confusing. Breaking up the lettered holes into a couple segments is just odd. To be fair, though...the lettered holes are some of the best on the course.

The natural tee pads are what they are. They're tough if they're wet. There was a smattering of crushed gravel on some, which helps a bit, for sure. It would be extremely difficult to ever put concrete in here, though.

Winter Park is rugged. There's no other good word for it. Play a couple rounds here, and you'll know it afterwards. There's a pretty fair amount of steep slopes to climb and descend. If Rollin' Ridge is a Corvette, then Winter Park is an off-road Jeep.

There's some safety concerns with several mountain biking trails that wind around the property, but to be honest, I've never seen a single mountain bike out here. Also, I've only ever seen one other group out here discing while I was there, and I've always been there on Saturdays. The course isn't really around anything, and is decently far away from everything. You're definitely out in the boonies while playing here.
Other Thoughts: I love Winter Park. I usually ding courses for less than stellar tee pads and the like, but I just can't here. To me, it's a destination course. The layout, while wonky in places, is just awesome. There's holes here you just can't have in other places...it's a wonderful spot for a course. Some people will bemoan the fact that it's so rough around the edges, but to me, it feels perfectly imperfect. The holes are tough, the terrain is tough, the scoring is tough. You need to be on your game in a serious way to score well here.

If you're close, love disc golf, and have some time, you absolutely must play here. If you hate it, blame me. If you love it, tell everybody you know. Either way, you'll leave with an appreciation for it. An absolute must play.

unique factor 11...

1    6/10/2015   6/10/2015
Review By: apdrvya
Pros: Aesthetic-- plays up and down and all around a ski area. Crosses paths with mountain biking trails thoughout the course. Didn't ever see any mountain bikers on a saturday in June so I'm not expecting it to be a huge issue but watch for people.

Teesigns-- Nice, gives a little description of the hole and the layout (map) along with pin placement and teepads. In good shape.

Baskets-- another example of DisCatchers being appreciated. They only enhance the visibility of the target in these thick woods. Another great feature is that they put the basket #(letter) on the band so that you aren't confused in some of the tighter areas.

Routing and Nav-- Definite issues but not huge ones with respect to navigation. During the GHI loop, the routing is pretty horrendous, for the most part on the rest of the course, it's not too bad at all. Having a guide helped to find the teepads though.

Challenge-- Challenge factor was pretty high here. Throwing down uber narrow fairways and over some pretty extreme terrain was interesting and provided a pretty strong challenge.

Special Mention-- While the Red Tees were near impossible to find, they are appreciated as we had a couple of 13(?) year old regulars who were playing from that set of tees. I guess there are some gold tees as well? Also, the separate set of pin placements on some holes is also appreciated (more on all of this later)

ABCDE Loop-- Some of the most extreme terrain I've played DG in. the washouts and chasms here were sweet just keep your disc out of there!

Variety-- pretty wide variety of holes here will keep you guessing and keep you throwing every throw in your repertoire. I actually appreciated the variety of 15-18. it was nice to open my arm up after 23 holes of mostly technical disc golf.
Cons: GHI loop-- There were places on this course that felt like punishment. The GHI loop, specifically, didn't add anything to the course IMHO. The GHI loop while interesting and added the water element, was poorly navigable and just laid out badly. the loop after 8, ABCDE I think, was some of the most extreme terrain I've played in and was far more appreciated than the GHI loop.

Challenge factor-- some of the holes here are just hard for the sake of being hard. Not saying they're not fair, but rather just they're thrown between rows of trees because that's where you are from the next hole.

Teepads-- Most of the teepads here are pretty horrendous. rutty, uneven, unkempt and just overgrown. Red tees were unrecognizable in most areas and if there were gold tees, I wouldn't know where to look for them without a guide.

Out-of-Towner discadvantage-- It would have been nice to know that most of the course was in alternate layout pin positions. I could have been posted on the kiosk or something, that would have made the day easier and saved some strokes.
Other Thoughts: I've played a lot of both, ski courses and WIB courses. This is WIB to the extreme. As for a ski course, it's a physical course but it's nowhere near as extremely physical as say, Mt McSauba in Charlevoix. I got huffing and puffing a few times but wasn't whipped after playing by any means. Good course but needs some love for sure.

Winter in the Summer

2-4    7/3/2014   7/8/2014
Review By: stubborn puppet
This review was updated on 7/10/2014
Pros: >This is, indeed, a very unique course on a unique piece of land - super scenic and peaceful.
>Good 27 hole option that flows together without compromise.
>Very, very challenging in many areas - great for forced accuracy improvement.
>All three of the tees on the holes here actually do provide a legitimate bump in challenge. Heck, having two to three tees for most of the holes is a big plus.
>Course was clean and almost totally trash free.
>Although it becomes a cliche in these reviews: there was a pretty strong mix of shots spread across the entire 27 and I used a good variety of discs. I seem to feel like it was a bit RHBH heavy... but not overtly so.
>Decent signs at the tees and great navigation signs for the most part.
>Hole 15, going down the ski slope, is a real fun throw and a major morale booster. It's not often that I get to say "I threw a 715ft. drive!" (even if it was down a massive hill). Quite a teaser - because it looks so far away and all that overgrown grass on the hill is threatening to steal your discs... but it won't. You can make it all the way to the basket off the pro pad. I was the only player in the park, so I unloaded on this one. Not a great disc golf hole, but it's really fun.
---
Cons: >Let me start with a safety concern. As both a disc golfer and a mountain biker, I was uncomfortable with the fact that the mountain bike trail literally crosses some of the fairways and crosses over some of the paths between holes. When I golf, my attention is strictly on what I am aiming for - when I bike, my attention is strictly on the ground in front of me. This seems like a recipe for disaster.
>The natural tees are in need of maintenance. Perhaps this property does not permit installation of concrete, and that's fine, but these are often not level and inconsistent.
>There are many places where more stone or log stairways are needed. The ones that are there could also use some maintenance. I get the impression that this course is a bit soggy most of the year, so slipping and struggling around in the mud and clay is a reality that could be addressed a bit more. I didn't, but I saw many opportunities where someone could slip and take a painful and dirty tumble...
>The biggest con, in my opinion, at Winter Park is the far too frequently uber-narrow or non-existent fairways in the woods. I like a challenge and I like plotting paths through trees... but this course goes too far. There were several holes that were nothing more than shooting a straight 200' to the basket through a 4ft. gap in the trees. A good gimmick for one hole - lame when it is repeated several times. Worse than that were the holes which had no fairway at all - just throw your frisbee and cross your fingers as it pinball's from tree to tree. I don't find that challenging, it's just about getting lucky enough to find the 10 inch gaps.
>While the variety and uniqueness are certainly present at Winter Park... I personally felt like there weren't more than a few exciting holes. With a handful of exceptions, the course also seems a bit short, with a lot of easy ace possibilities.
>A few holes, like 16-18, were a little "ho-hum", even if they were a welcome change from the woods.
>I hate using it as a "con" for a course, but my goodness were the mosquitoes and other bugs thick out here. I was covered head to toe with Deep Woods Off and still couldn't keep them away. On several holes, I could barely see to shoot because the cloud of mosquitoes were so thick in front of my face. It's pretty hard to concentrate on a throw with that much annoyance, otherwise I'd just make the bug problem an "other thought" for this course. I've scheduled a malaria booster shot for next week.
---
Other Thoughts: I'm really glad I made the long drive out to this course. It was certainly a unique opportunity and a must for anyone within a few hours. Bring some hiking shoes, bug spray and a big can of patience... and then enjoy an ego-boosting end to the round with the big drive down 15 and the easy finish up in the field.
I will get lots of "not helpful" votes on this review because it was not given 4.5 or 5 stars... which is sad, because I'm giving an honest review from my perspective - the only one any of us can have.

Date: 7/17/2014 Designer Response by: superberry
I myself am a mountain biker and have ridden all around the WP and DNR trails at the property. The inter-woven course was done in in effort along with the bikers. Disc golfers' etiquette is to always yield to the bikers because they'll be gone in a flash. The trails are also supposed to be abandon when a new trail opens up down the road. When speaking with the bike club and county officials, the very low number of disc golfers on the course, coupled with the low number of bikers, and the low probability of either of the two meeting up with one another on the property at the same time, resulted in a very low probability that there would be many, if any issues. Course is closed during races, trails are closed during tournaments.

Glad you had fun!