Appling, GA
IDGC - WR Jackson Memorial DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #6 (Taken 10/2011)

Share URL:

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Pretty much perfect

2-4    7/7/2017   7/10/2017
Review By: djtripp20
This review was updated on 9/26/2017
Pros: What can I say... this is pretty much the perfect disc golf course. It's insanely technical, has abundant length, and will test your skills as much as any other. There is elevation, risk/reward shots, clearly defined OB, concrete teepads, and just tons of fun.

Expect to throw just about every shot in your bag. Long straight drives, fades, turns, backhands, forehands, overhands... all of it. If you're a rec-intermediate level player, this place will probably chew you up... but it's fun. It feels good to get whooped by this course because if you can actually do good, it feels so much better.

Everything you need is here:

- Dedicated staff at facility
- Pro shop on site
- Plentiful parking
- Maintained grounds
- Tee signs on each hole
- Next tee direction markers after each basket
- Benches and shade coverings if waiting at teepad
- Practice area for putting and approaches
- Scorecards, etc available in pro shop
Cons: There really aren't many cons to speak of... maybe just the toughness of the course. You may also come across some wildlife such as snakes and spiders out there. If nothing else I would like to see this course have a couple of open holes. Every hole is unique, but they are all in the woods. That said, being in the woods is what this course is all about, so it's a total "nice to have" request in my opinion.

Also some of the holes run through a pretty tough section where discs can easily roll away into a small ravine. You can throw a great shot but just get unlucky with the lie. Watch the 2017 Worlds coverage and you'll see what I mean.
Other Thoughts: This is one course of three at the IDGC... and probably the toughest of the three. WR Jackson is one of my favorite courses out there. Many of the holes were lengthened for the recent Worlds tournament. It's definitely worth a visit if you're in the Augusta area. To make it a real adventure, camp in Wildwood Park (where the course is located). Reservations can be made online.

Picturesque, long, technical, elevated goodness

1    3/21/2017   4/19/2017
Review By: Chained Evil
Pros: Signage is great, providing the player with all the necessary info, hole layout, distance, OB, etc. Tee pads are ample and allow for a proper run up.
Highly visible Innova Discatcher baskets. Good directional arrows to keep you on the right path. Trash cans and benches throughout the course.
Solid mix of dog leg L an R playing holes. Great mix of short, moderate, and longer holes.
Good solid lines that need to be hit in order to score well but aren't so unforgiving that you can't redeem yourself to save par. Great elevation changes to keep things interesting.
This course has both up and down playing holes as well. Threat of roll a way putts are present giving a few holes that added pucker factor.
Holes 11-13 give you a bit of a break from the long holes and will offer you some chances to pick up some birdies.
This course has length to several holes and is the longest course on the complex.
This is a John Houck designed course so you know its going to be solid.

Cons: Some of the transitions between holes were a bit lengthy like 2's basket to 3's tee, 7's basket to 8's tee. This slows the flow of the round down a bit but its not a deal breaker.
Some of the gulleys, which are OB, are a bit steep so getting your disc back and then getting back up to flat land could be treacherous. Please use caution.
These cons are minor however.
Other Thoughts: This is one of 3 courses that can be found at the International Disc Golf Center. It is pay to play, $3, and is the bargain of the year and totally worth it. This course has the most length of the 3 courses on the complex. I have played several courses over the years and this course was one of the best challenges that I have faced to date. The variance in the elevation changes, and the technical shots that each hole presented, along with the length of many of the holes will test all aspects of your game. There are some holes where you have to have some good distance in order to set yourself up for the next shot but its not wide open. You will need to hit your lines in order to score well here.
I found myself being challenged both mentally and physically and I didn't mind one bit. I would drive back from Kansas in a heartbeat to play any one of these 3 courses.
Do yourself a favor and plan a trip to the IDGC and play all 3 of the courses in this complex. Make a day of it and tour the Disc Golf Hall of Fame and PDGA headquarters which are on site. If you love quality disc golf and the history of the game then this place will be heaven to you. I can't wait until I can return someday and relive this experience. So worth it.

Worth the trip

1    4/2/2017   4/5/2017
Review By: ROTFLandmines
Pros: Great design
very well maintained
Cons: N/A
Other Thoughts: The whole IDGC experience is extremely unique, and the course design is fantastic. Id definitely recommend taking the trip just for the experience.

That being said, this was my favorite course out of the three. It was extremely challenging, but never felt repetitive or too punishing.

What every course should be

2-4    11/26/2016   12/8/2016
Review By: hellbound
Pros: Great uses of land that challenges and rewards for successful landings scrambles.

Far ob with some challenging slopes baskets play on or near.

Benches, Score cards, pencils are all added bonuses.

90% of the holes are of beautiful quality and make you wish that you lived closer.

Feel like a pro when you hit your lines.

2 other courses on the property. With Jackson being the best followed by ed.
Cons: Few of the holes are lack luster but how can you really build a championship course that has all the holes 5.0 quality without a tweener here and there?

I only list this as a con for some people pay to play. I don't mind paying to play. Keeps the chucker from ruining the experience.

So much course its hard to enjoy everything in one day.
Other Thoughts: I always find it hard to review a course. Everyone is looking for top of the top, over inflating, and just unexperince to multiple types of courses. Jackson in its own right is up at the top with course like flip city, maple hill and others that come to mind. Granted I have only played one of the top 10 courses in the United States but cant underestimate the quality and attention Jackson gets.

Set on a County Park the IDGC hosts three top level courses with Jackson in my mind the center piece of the jewel. Par 4 and more await you as you attempt to master a course that a meer average golfer could get discouraged and left scratching your head. Hole one starts you out easy and leaves a feel good feeling until the fun begins. As you move on deep and deep holes start to punish you, hyzers, anhyzers, pitchouts and forehands await. Even at one point you head back up to the IDGC and leave yourself wondering if I will attempt the rest of the round.

Of all the holes at the property hole 10 stands out the most to me. You stand on the tee box just outside the proshop and look back into the woods. Its an overwhelming feeling in my book and makes me wonder what its like to play MPO at big events.

If your ever in the area I would make a stop and try to knock out two courses. Make sure to play Jackson first before the others. You will thank me later.

IDGC - WR Jackson Memorial DGC

1    11/17/2016   12/3/2016
Review By: lazrman778
Pros:
Has concrete tee pads with notches carved across

Has benches throughout the course

Has excellent tee signs (signs look better than the ones posted on this site)

Some holes have multiple lines to the basket

Has next tee signs posted throughout

More wooded than open fairways with doglegs and elevations

Challenging, long course with variety of pars (6 par 3s, 9 par 4s, 3 par 5s)

Nice scenery

Water comes into play on almost half of the holes where there's little risk in losing a disc due to the shallow creek

Has two loops of the front and back nines

Had whole course to myself on a Thursday afternoon

Has a storm shelter

Well-maintained

Has practice baskets from different manufacturers
Cons:
Long course can be demanding and intimidating to those not ready for a challenge

Aside from the course already being long, some may find the long walks between holes as a con but I feel that there's good separation between them as the layout makes most of the hilly terrain and creek

Pay to play but worth it
This is the last of the three challenging scenic courses at IDGC that I enjoyed playing. This course is the one that I will compare other courses to as I have ranked this as my first 5.0 - Best of the Best. This course is the site of the Hall of Fame Classic held here every two years. After watching the world's top pros play here, this course was a test to compare on how well I can perform when playing this gold level tournament quality course. I can say that I have more appreciation more than ever in watching them play now! It truly is challenging and will require almost every kind of shot to shoot a low score here. This course will emphasize on control and shot placement on most holes since there's only six par 3s here. The course takes advantage of its hilly terrain and creek to make a challenging layout. I haven't recall ever playing on a hole with a figure 8 pattern before I played hole #8. Playing on holes #12 and #13 were probably the most difficult par 3s that I ever played due to the tight window and the slope towards the creek. The long course and the additional walking between holes can take a toll on the body and therefore be a con for some players. The pay to play can dissuade some from playing but I have paid more to play a less enjoyable course before. $3 to enter the park and $3 for a PDGA member to play all day is a bargain! In the clubhouse, the pro shop sells discs from many manufacturers as well as issue out course maps and scorecards with the highlighted current pin positions. Along with the pro shop, there is a snack machine, breakroom, restrooms, and the Hall of Fame all inside the clubhouse operating from 9am-5pm. A soda machine is located outside the clubhouse underneath the pavilion nearby. Playing this course and one of the other two on the same day makes a nice day trip.

IDGC Presents: Action Jackson

2-4    10/5/2016   11/15/2016
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: WR Jackson Memorial is the longest of the 3 amazing courses at the IDGC, and is just another John Houck masterpiece. It may cause distress to the average disc golfer, but there are 18 great holes that have extremely challenging but not entirely impossible fairways. You will find trouble if you fail to execute sound throws consistently. While it can be frustrating, the constant pressure to make good throws is one of the aspects that makes me respect the course so much. Well worth the price of admission, $5 for all day access to the 3 wonderful courses on site.

As you would expect, all of the tees, signage, and baskets are top quality, as they are in all of the disc golf facilities here. A little bit of water will be in play here and there, as well as some moderate elevation change through very woodsy fairways. I won't give the hole by hole summary, but each stop along the way requires precise, accurate shots of all types. There are 6 par 4's in a row to lead off, and the longest hole on the course is 8, just to make sure the front 9 isn't taken lightly. Holes 11-13 give you a chance to make up some ground with 3 consecutive short par 3's. No pushovers, but a well placed putter throw can get you there. On the way out you will encounter 2 more par 4's, and the last hole is a great par 5. 18 is the kind of finishing hole that demands respect. Visible from the tee, but so far away you know you still have your work cut out for you. Even after taking several beatings here, I still enjoy this monster.
Cons: Scenic, but demanding. The new player will probably not make it through a round here without some serious struggles. It is pay to play, cheapskates beware.
Other Thoughts: I did get 2 birdies on my most recent round at Jackson. 10 and 12 gave me redemption deuces, and I missed a very makable putt on 11 for the turkey. Still wound up at +11 on the round, but enjoyed it none the less. Wish I would have visited more often when I lived in the area. Very much a destination for any disc golfer who loves to visit the very best courses. Sort of reminds me of Chester State Park in SC, but much longer, and a little more elevation change. The pro shop, and disc golf museum and wall of fame give you something interesting to look at in between rounds, and snacks and refreshments are available inside during business hours. Also there is a vending machine with water and soft drinks outside under the pavilion. A must play for any serious player who enters the vicinity.

Wow that's hard

2-4    10/13/2016   11/2/2016
Review By: Peter S
Pros: Challenging with many long S shots. Lots of elevation to bomb a sky roller, thumber or any trick shot you have. Tee signs are descriptive enough and fairways are well defined on the very long holes making long recon walks not necessary. The holes are often too long to see the basket but you get the idea where to place your first shot for success. Also the score cards given out indicate pin position so you don't have to hope there is something on the sign to indicate pin position.

I had my best round ever on my most recent trip. However, WR Jackson is just so huge, long and steep it can wear you down. The fairways on some of the long holes seem plenty wide and I had some great long throws & hit intended landing spots but by the time I would climb up the steep hills to my next shot I found myself missing putts that I should make. The courses at IDGC are just known for zapping the strength & concentration right out of you. Even the short holes 12 & 13 that traverse a large valley/gulch place the baskets on steep fast greens forcing the perfect tight shot through trees that must match the angle of the hill to stick. Manage that and you still have to find the perfect putting stance on a knife edge and stick a putt. Any roll away is falling into the O.B. creek. You better have all the putting stances in your bag. This course will run a sword through any chink in the armor of your game.

It seems like aspects of these "pros" could and should be cons for some. This is very much a Gold level course. A new player will most likely kick their bag or give up after 9 holes here. I did when I was a newer player. It is the challenge that is the attraction here. Now that my player rating is over 900 I had a much better time playing this one than in years past.

I played in early October and the course just looked lovely, a touch of fall color on the leaves, the long open fairways are just picture perfect. Some of the pins seem to frame the most picturesque portions of the hills or trees they are set by.

The course loops back to the parking lot after 9 holes for a very much needed break or to restock on water. The IDGC building has a/c, a small museum, a well stocked pro shop and clean rest rooms.
Cons: Very thick tick infested woods in some spots make trips off the fairways not fun. Thin on next tee signs in some areas.

No escalators or free porters. Seriously folks, other that getting worn out on a steep long course I cannot fault anything here. I can say some shorter tees would be nice but that would detract from the course. This is Gold level, take it or leave it.
Other Thoughts: Often reviews say you have to throw every disc or shot in your bag. I carried about 20 discs and for the first time I actually used every one. Not only that, I used every shot in my skill set.

Make sure your dog's tick meds are up to date if you bring Fido.

Rating: I rated a 5 for my first time ever! For the over 135 courses I have played this is the biggest and best course I have ever played.

$5.00 to play all day on 3 great courses is a nice bang for your buck.

LOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG

1    4/26/2016   5/4/2016
Review By: Reb3times
Pros: If you're a long shot, this is your course. Many holes offer the chance at back to back long shots to have a chance at a birdie.

Good use of the rolling terrain in the area. No two shots are the same.

Concrete tee pad.
Cons: Only one tee option.

Can be a brutally long course for newer players with less skill and accuracy.
Other Thoughts: This is one to come back to time and time again to test your own skills against the course. You will need accurate long shots in order to score well here. If you go a little errant, there are plenty of trees to make you pay. The course can easily be played as 9 since the 1st and 10th tee box is next to the IDGA HQ and parking lot. Might suggest you take something to retrieve disc with because several holes have steep ditches with creeks in them that are not easily accessible, however they can easily come into play. If you don't have anything, mother nature has provided lots of dead fall in the area to use in an effort to retrieve a sunken disc. Oh, and keep a very close eye out for everyone's favorite zero legged friends.

Hard but fun! And what a bargain!

1    7/10/2013   4/20/2016
Review By: Discgolffiend
Pros: Played all three courses for $3 entrance fee. Bargain.

Some of the par 4's and 5's through the woods here are epic, every line worked out to perfection. As with all houck designs the thought that has gone into every single detail is immense. He's a master of the par 4's and 5's

Tough tough course, you've got to work so hard to stay on the fairways and hit the lines to attack for birdies, and there is no shame from coming away without any. it's a true Gold standard course. great challenge, not one to bring a first timer!

Rough is tough but fair, you should find your discs even on the worst of ricochets
Great amenities in the park and two other gold standard courses on site.
Cons: I love most of the holes - I love par 4 and 5 golf and this isn't just lengthened par 3's but well thought out landing zones and multiple routes. It's Houck at his best.

Apart from hole 3 and 12/13.

3 - It's just frustrating. I like a par 4 where a driver off the tee isn;t an option but this hole I just can't see where the separation in scoring will come from.

I tried just about everything in the bag to get a good look at an Eagle, best I had was some weird backhand roller that I don't think I could ever replicate which gave me about a 90' upshot. The worst results were bad. Very bad. The only sensible option off the tee was a standstill putter hyzer have a 150' upshot take the three. Going for a 2 was a hiiiiigh chance of 4, 5, or worse. but taking the three was ridiculously easy with just a bail out off the tee. Couldn't see the reward for trying anything more, Disappointed with this one.

Now 12/13 (I'm calling it that as they are basically the same hole). Hmmm. I carry a lot of putters, both are a lovely length for a putter on a straight shot with a soft non skippy landing possibly if I could shape it with a slight anny to match the slope of the land.

But it's a total crap shoot when you land as to what's going to happen. I threw them all, I threw them all again, most stuck for easy 2's a fewkicked and rolled OB for 4's' 5's (I assumed the creek was OB) Couldn't tell you any difference between the good or bad. One hit the pole and went OB after tottering on its end for an eternity. Too much punishment totally down to the luck of the gods.

Two holes that could be hugely improved with a levelled landing zone around the basket or a retaining wall/logs 15' to the right of the basket, outside that fine, no issues with rolling in the water. It's the pretty much perfectly placed shots where luck is key.

It's also a shame that 3 short par 3's are squeezed together in the middle of the course.

Misses a standout feature in the land - creek is nice, and use of the terrain is superb, but you don't come away with a wow experience.

Honestly and it seems petty reading it but the tees sign graphics are boring and give no idea of the drama awaiting you. Would love to see a bit more detail on them and for more measurements - how far to that gap, that split etc. I'm pretty sure some of the measurements are wildly off anyway so maybe that wouldn't be much use!

Edit* it was over 2 years ago I played this so maybe the graphics have changed reading some of the reviews below. My memory of them was yes they would tell me it was a dog leg, but that was it, no indication of the tightness of anything else? I just like lots of info on tee signs!
Other Thoughts: Reading back my cons seems to outweigh the pros. So ignore my moaning. The course is excellent, the design is nearly all as good as it can be and you'll hugely enjoy your time playing here.

Bring the big guns.

1    3/6/2016   3/6/2016
Review By: Moose33
Pros: The only word for this one is Long. It's an amazing course great teepads that are long a tapered with texture. There are only one set unlike the other courses at the IDGC.

The holes are varied with multiple lines even though most of it is very wooded.

It has more space than the other courses but less water and elevation.

Great Innova Discatcher baskets with thoughtful placement, and a couple of nerve rattling putts.

Signs were really helpful and an almost every location.
Cons: A little repetitive with all of the long punishing holes.

I saw like 4 snakes not a con per se but be careful.
Other Thoughts: Gold level pro course that you need to bring your A game to play.

Not the most fun course I've ever played but one of the best tests of skill.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5