Erwinna, PA
Tinicum Park Share

1 2 3 4 5 Next >
 Fun open course, good camping onsite

1    8/15/2008   8/21/2008
Review By: t i m
Pros: This course plays and feels like a John Houck, Austin-area course... and that's a good thing. mostly flat with a few gentle elevation changes in the meadow, this could be a piece of Texas, and the hills of trees surrounding the course could be central Texas hill country -- a very pleasant setting for a course. When I say the course feels like a John Houck design, I mean that in a very positive way. The holes make very good use of the available land and are designed in such a way that most of them will force score separation between good and bad throws. The signature hole -- for me -- is not hole 18 that other reviewers have mentioned, but rather hole 2, a ~600' hole across rolling hills with OB on the right that requires a low-ceiling shot or roller under a canopy of large trees followed by a precise upshot to a basket protected by loose trees in front and a huge evergreen tree in back that will turn over-long approach shots into very difficult birdie-three putts from inside the pine needles.

I hope the park eventually implements a system to show which pin the basket is in -- that would speed up rounds immensely, saving you from having to search out the basket placement.

The one time I played the course, the fairways were well mowed and the grass on the meadow holes was very conducive to roller shots. Debris/trash/fallen branches, etc... were very minimal.

Overall, not a super challenging course -- even with mostly long baskets -- but well designed, and with enough variety, that you shouldn't get board playing several consecutive rounds. Great place to practice roller shots as well.
Cons: Biggest cons here are that the unmowed areas -- the rough -- can be really hard to find discs in. And they underbrush is a highly likely place for ticks. When we were there, the meadows were being used by a small herd of deer, so we made sure to wear Permetherin-treated pants/socks and plenty of DEET to help keep the deer ticks at bay in the overgrown areas. We didn't experience any problems, but we were well prepared -- I'd advise others to take similar precautions here when walking through the tall grass in the meadow.

The other con -- mentioned by others -- is the lack of a system to show which basket placement is in use. Other nearby courses -- like Tyler -- have a great system with a little rotating dial that indicates the basket as being in A, B, or C. This simple fix would aid the course playability immensely.

Another con (in my book) is completely subjective, so I'm not using it to dock points form the score, but I mention it solely for others like me: this course has very, very little elevation. I love elevation shots, and so many other PA courses have great elevation changes that it is a little disappointing to come to Tinicum and be on mostly flat ground. It is still very fun to play, but lacks the thrill and awe that would come from having a few great elevation holes. When I first got to the course and saw the tall, tree-covered hills behind the park, I had hopes that one of them would come into play, but alas -- no luck there. Again, I'm not docking the score, but just mentioning this for other elevation junkies like myself.
Other Thoughts: My favorite feature of the course -- it is rare to get to camp right on a disc golf course, and Tinicum makes that possible. On a recent disc golf roadtrip, we camped one night at Tinicum. Camping is pretty decent - just call the parks department on Monday or Tuesday and they'll reserve a campsite for you. Ground is flat and root-free, and you wake up right next to the course. It's great to wake up, grab your bag and start a round. So props to Tinicum for camping convenience - though make sure to call the parks in advance, because it is hard to track down a ranger at 9:30 p.m. to explain you want a campsite (which is what we had to do). Much, much easier if you plan ahead and reserve a site in advance.

For us (a Thursday night) camping was $15 and the campsite was in a great location with firewood, clean picnic tables, good fire pits, a very basic bathroom (no lights or showers), and no one else around. Great place to camp, and the ranger was very helpful when he came by around ~10:30 to check us in.

To me, the camping convenience is one of the best features of this course -- especially if you are doing a trip and visiting several PA courses. Camp here, then head up the road to Nockamixon, Lehigh Parkway, Jordan Creek, Tyler, etc...

Solid layout, worth the trip

2-4    5/17/2008   5/25/2008
Review By: Godard
This review was updated on 9/23/2008
Pros: Excellent variety of holes. Some low canopy shots that reward rollers; short and long; hyzers and anhyzers; wide open shots and brutal gauntlets. 3 or 4 pin positions per hole for variety. The gorgeous 13th hole even has trees, meadow and a canal all in play in under 400 feet. Signs spell out the hole well. Flushing toilets, picnic tables and all the amenities of a state park... plus camping. New markers to tell you the pin position, added sometime in summer of 2008 (and I upgraded my rating to 4 stars to reflect this).
Cons: Almost no elevation changes as it's in a creek valley. Messy gravel tees with the tee markers often buried. Meadow fairways a bit too narrow, the rough too unkempt for my taste (though meadows were mowed for September play, making it more appropriate rough). Bring plenty of tick spray!
Other Thoughts: I didn't think hole 18 was all that.. just a long meadow hole with 30 feet of mild trees at the end. Hole 13 and the 7-8-9 gauntlet holes were my faves. The best part was when our novice friend threw her disc into the canal on 12 and we convinced her to go in after it. For those who are wondering, the canal is very muddy, very cold, and very disgusting, but results in great wet T-shirt action. She never found the disc.

Fun course

5/27/2007   6/19/2007
Review By: timg
Pros: Well maintained, Excellent signs and plays long. Also, there were trash cans at a lot of tees which definitely helps with potential litter issues.
Cons: #9 was unmarked and it took us a while to figure out where to throw from. Otherwise, none!
Other Thoughts: This course reminds me of Baker Farm in Chili, NY. Both are relatively flat although Tinicum offers more hole variety than Baker as several holes play through some wooded/lightly wooded areas. There is also a canal with some very soft mud on the banks (don't ask how I know that :) ) that may come into play on a couple of holes.

Overall I really enjoyed playing this course and would recommend it to anyone that's passing through the area.

Nice course!

5+    11/24/2012   5/24/2007
Review By: adlacro
This review was updated on 3/21/2015
Pros: 18 hole course with baskets in very good shape. Course mixes a nice number of open holes with wooden holes and a few very tight fairways. A few different pin layouts are available, with the shorter ones being birdie runs and the longer layouts will challenge your ability to both long drive and long approach. Canal behind a few of the holes does offer an additional challenge in not overthowing a shot. Well maintained. Very little in the way of elevation, but whatever is there is utilized well.
Cons: Tees are natural, so in wet conditions or melted snow (winter) they are practically unplayable. This is probably the biggest con here. If you like elevation, you'll find it, but not as one of the holes. It is a hill across the canal, sorry. 7 and 13 are close to being pinballesque, not as much a con, but not a pro either.
Other Thoughts: Can't complain. The BCDGA does a great job and locals maintain it well. I am glad I got back here to Tinicum for the first time in 2 1/2 years. Worth the drive from the Valley.

1 2 3 4 5 Next >