Minneapolis (Crystal), MN
Bassett Creek Park Share
Uploaded By: DonB Hole #15 (Taken 10/2012)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Rough at first, gets better

2-4    8/13/2019   8/14/2019
Review By: austinwilliamdg
Pros: • Free 15 holes
• Elevation change
• Very nice area/scenery
• Variety of shots and angles
• Very well managed, not much rough or tall weeds
Cons: • Signage is bad especially holes 1-5
• Holes 2-4 are overgrown and hard to find
• Tees could be a little better
• Pretty busy with walkers and other paths. Not too much of a problem
Other Thoughts: Good overall free 15 holes. I would go with someone who has played it before since holes 1-5 are hard to find/figure out. After hole 5, the course gets better IMO. Good variety of shots, length and elevation with nice scenery. Overall, very nice course close to the cities.

WARNING: played in light snow, 15°

1    11/10/2018   11/10/2018
Review By: Monkeypaws
Pros: •Good tee pads. They are plenty long enough to get a full run-up, if that is your style.
•If you like elevation change, holes 8-15 will get your blood pumping. Some excellent bomber holes, along with challenging uphill shots.
•Enough woods and trees to test your technical abilities. I have been doing a lot of field work focussing on accuracy lately, and I never enjoyed missing so many trees.
•Tee and basket signage is decent.
•Very attractive park with creek, lake, hills, trees.
•Shot variety - I only had a very light bag, but I used all my discs a lot. Partly it was because of a solid breeze, but I could have used a few more discs for certain shots.
•Apparently the closest course to down Minneapolis.
Cons: •The woods holes, 2-4, could use better signage and teepads.
•A little help in navigation would be appreciated, especially finding hole 1, and then hole 6. Had to resort to UDisc a few times just to find where the heck I was going.
•There is the constant drone of traffic from nearby highway 100. I didn't mind it, but if you are seeking idyllic nature DG, it ain't here
Other Thoughts: I will enjoy playing this course again when it is 70 and sunny. 15 hole courses are unusual, and I enjoyed 'em all. Almost aced 15 with a rare backhand. If there were more granularity in the scoring system, I would give it a 3.75

Just make it to hole 6

1    9/24/2015   10/16/2015
Review By: LeftyHukin
Pros: I am going to have to review this course a little different then the past courses I have reviewed. My first time here was such a mixed experience I wanted to get out here one more time before giving a review. It is just so rare for me to get out that way and I want to write the review before I forgot all the details of the course.

To start, I will try to put avoid letting all my negative thoughts pour over to this section. I have played at many courses that are very technical and very much enjoy them, however this was the first course I have played where I felt I can just grip and rip. The 2nd half of the course is very wide open with a lot of elevation changes. Throwing up a 75-100ft hill then throwing straight down, throwing back up it and then walking even higher to throw it all the way back down again! Nothing like standing on top of the tee pad and making the disc look small as you throw down hill and just enjoy watching the line.

The individual holes were very enjoyable and there were some very memorable ones as well. Holes that are almost just worth the trip to play! I can't remember the exact hole, but once you get to the top of the hill you have to walk into the woods and up a path to a hidden tee pad and throw out over the hill and all the way down to the bottom. This was an amazing hole to just watch the flight of the disc. Only downfall at the moment is a large temporary dirt mound that makes it a blind shot down the hill. You also get concrete pads for the most part as only a couple were dirt, which might just be a result of the top hill being under construction.

For those who enjoy technical holes, the first 7 I believe are a bit shorter and have more trees to navigate, making a lot of interesting lines and shots. Maybe a roller? or a thumber? There are more creative lines open during this section of the course. As for those that just want to throw discs as far as they can, that is whom the 2nd half of the course is geared to. Most of the final 8 holes are very open and long. I remember 2 shorter holes, one throwing straight up the hill and the last which is an easy putter toss back down. But you have a few that will test the arms of any intermediate player. Pros will still be throwing mids to fairway drivers, but the rest of us can dust off those drivers and let it loose with little chance of losing a disc since it is so open.

It appears that the top of the hill that most of the last 7 holes interact with is getting a much needed face lift, but when I was there a tee pad was completely covered with a 15ft high mound of dirt (only the post marking the tee was barely poking out from the bottom). It also hurts the view of another hole you tee off from the woods just above the hill, as you have to throw over a large dirt mount blindly to the basket at the bottom of the hill. I enjoyed the hole and see what it could be without the eye sore, but I might be biased since I was able to toss my drive within 15 feet of the basket for a crazy 2.
Cons: Now for the bad..... the navigation for the course is just awful. Plain and simple awful. You exit your car in the parking lot right next to a basket, which it #1, so you have to walk along #1's fairway to get to the tee box FORE! Then throw back the way you came. Once you putt out you see the tee box 35ft away, oh so simple! Then you realize it is actually #5's tee box, wtf? I hear it is because it used to be a 12 hole course and 3 wooded holes were added, however there is not 1 sign that tells you this or points you to the woods. In fact we had skipped these holes and didn't realize there were holes in the woods until we walked back to our car after #15 and saw a basket through the trees. Well once you get through the wooded holes and back to #5 it gets a little easier you would think. Well once finishing putting out you have to walk around the lake, about 1 city block or more to # 6's tee. Again there is no sign at all to direct you. So after having to talk to walkers passing by who said they thought they saw baskets on the other side of the lake, we finally ran into #6. At least from here it became easy to navigate as all the remaining holes are easy to find. There is a small wooden post with both new and old numbers on them, so it gets very confusing which hole you are on.

This is why I wanted to go back after now knowing what to expect. I was so frustrated at the lack of directions that I didn't get into the flow until around hole # 8. I was too worried that I wouldn't find the next tee pad. I want to see if we just missed every sign or if was just as bad as I had experienced. If there were signs and we were just blind to them, then shame on us. But if that is the case, they may not be as visible or clear as designers thought.
Other Thoughts: This course needs signs badly. It was tough to navigate and even locals didn't know where 2-4 where. But once you get to #6 it becomes easy and frustration levels decrease. Each hole individually is designed great, using the elevation to create memorable holes and shots. Baskets and tee pads were in good shape, but sign posts need to be reworked so that only one hole number is showing, not the old and new.

This course has potential to be an easy 4. It has technical holes, it has grip and rip holes, it has elevation, both up and down. It has an amazing view of the lake that the course wraps around. But it looses a lot from being difficult to navigate and not flowing well at all. I will make it back out there next year and see if there have been any major changes and update this rant. I hope I was just there in the middle of the rework that will be a gem once finished.

1    5/29/2015   5/29/2015
Review By: JTRACY
Pros: This is a beautiful course if you appreciate nature go there in the fall. The entire course wraps around a small pond with a stream that I believe connects to medicine lake. This is my main free course when I wanted to get my drives to go further and with more control I stopped going to Plymouth Creek and started coming here.
Cons: There are tons TONS of geese on this course and they fertilize all of the grass everyday. The overlapping is kind of an issue around hole 7-11 very close fairways.
Other Thoughts: The course had a sign about expanding and changing to concrete pads so improvements are coming.

Surprisingly Fun!!

1    7/10/2013   7/11/2013
Review By: moni
Pros: - Long holes
- Unique challenges
- Scenery
- Fun crowds playing on the course
- Free
Overall, I was worried this 12-hole course might have been your standard lets-squeeze-a-course-in-a-tiny-park sort of thing but I was blown away with how many unique holes they included, how the course was set up and how much fun I had. It took the time that 18 holes takes because it's such a large course. Though not very well labeled if a hole was 3 or 4 par I'm sure several of the holes counted as 4 (10 especially). It was my first time at this course and you can bet they have a new regular
Cons: - Pins are old, need to put straight in or that sucker will be bouncing out
- Hard to find the next tee as it's so spread out, but there were lots of helpful folk ready to point you in the right direction
- Parking and finding the first hole was a small nightmare but the walk around the park with my dog was no lost cause and once I was done I was excited to park far away again just for the enjoyable walk
- A little crowded in one or two spots but was worth it as other discers were happy to chat and help find a disc if you lost one
- hole 9 (I think it was that one) had a very obnoxious start point that wasn't labeled tucked in the woods, lucky again there were helpful people to point us the right way
Other Thoughts: Overall, I'm very happy with this course but other reviews that it has even more potential are absolutely correct. But that would just be icing on this cake, as it was a blast.

Pretty good

5+    6/12/2018   6/12/2013
Review By: Dr.feelgood
This review was updated on 8/8/2018
Pros: -Shot variety. Mix of technical holes with more open shots. Some shots (hole 11 and 14) reward big arms with a potential birdie. The second half of the course takes advantage of the hill to introduce some elevation changes.

- Good mix of difficulty ranging from the ace run on hole 15 to the intimidating (less so since they moved the basket) hole 14. Overall average difficulty.

-Quick to play once you know how to navigate it.

- Difficult to lose a disc, except on hole 8.

-Good chainstar baskets.

-Open field is good for driving practice when it's not being used.

Cons: -Can be difficult to navigate your first time.

-Tees aren't marked well, and some are pointed the wrong direction. The tee pad on hole 10 is terrible.

-Holes 2, 3, and 4 can be hit or miss. Hole 2 and 3 are flooded in the spring due to the snow melt. Hole 4 can become overgrown in the summer making one of the more difficult pars on the course nearly impossible,and leading to a lost disc.

- Some holes are very luck based with no clear path (hole 2 and 5)

-Often pedestrians wander on to the fairways.

-Big spot for parties, and sporting events so parking can get scarce unexpectedly.

-Pretty busy during the summer. Usually have to wait on each hole.

-Geese s*** f****** everywhere!
Other Thoughts: I've played this here hundreds of times and it's still one of my favorites. If you can look past the bad parts, the bones of the course are really solid. This course changes frequently, so this review is probably outdated.

enjoyable, but bring a map

1    5/18/2013   5/18/2013
Review By: rhettro
Pros: - Good mix of trees and open fairways.
- I always enjoy water hazards
- good length variables from hole to hole.
- Tees are asphalt, not the best, but better then dirt.
Cons: - Very hard to navigate.
- Spent most of the time trying to find the next hole.
- Baskets have no paint, hard to see on a few holes.
Other Thoughts: I liked this course, it could be easier to navigate and the tee signs (posts with numbers) leave a bit to be desired, but all in all they did a great job with the space that they had. They wasted almost no room, and the course does not feel congested at all. I will play it again.

Decent course

5+    2/26/2013   3/1/2013
Review By: new_sheets
This review was updated on 3/30/2018
Pros: Excellent variety of holes. #1,3,4, and 10 are short and technical with clusters of trees and bushes. #2 and 11 are 500ft+ with a ton of trees and well protected greens. #5,6,7,8, and 9 are fairly open with a couple bombs and great elevation changes. #9 is really nice from an elevated tee in the woods around a giant dirt pile (I think the dirt piles add character..). #12 is a 200ft downhill ace run. It's a great course for beginners as its pretty difficult to lose track of a disc here, but still technical enough for advanced players to have some fun.
Cons: Hard to navigate the first couple of times. I don't mind but the walk to # 3 and 5 is kind of far and not well marked. A little short but a good warmup course. Tees could use some love.
Other Thoughts: Would like to see an increase to 18 holes. I think it would be a must play course if the additional holes were well designed. The 18 layout they use for tourneys is questionable but better than just 12. This is my home course and I think its better than any of the free smaller courses in the NW metro (Plymouth cr, sunny side, starring, rosland) for its variety and length.

Great Course

5+    10/10/2012   2/10/2013
Review By: WinstonAbernathy
Pros: I love this course. It has nice variety. I love that it has lots of good obstacles and elevation changes without being overly cluttered with trees and brush like some courses.
Cons: I wish that they would make it into an 18 hole course. There is an area on top of the hill by the tees for 7,9, and 12 that for years is just big piles of dirt that seem to get moved around from time to time with no real rhyme or reason.
Other Thoughts: The city of Crystal needs to get it's act together in regards to this course. It has the potential to be a great course but despite how popular it is they are doing nothing to improve it.

Could Be Worse

5+    6/19/2012   12/19/2012
Review By: ajkuck
This review was updated on 12/20/2012
Pros: For a 12 hole course, it actually offers a variety of shots. There are some technical shots required at the beginning to avoid some trees and a couple holes with some nice elevation change, which offers a great change of pace. For the most part, the tee parts are in good shape.
Cons: The course is often quite busy, since it is located at a park with a walking path and nestled within a residential area. It is also somewhat difficult to navigate if you have not played it before, especially the backwardness of hole 1.
Other Thoughts: Overall, it's a decent course if you are trying to get in a quick round. I often only get out there occasionally for league a couple times every summer or play it quick on my way home from work to get a warm-up round in before I go play at Bryant.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5