Winterthur, Switzerland
Winterthur-Grüze Share
Uploaded By: lathama Hole #2 (Taken 7/2017)
-- / 269ft. Par / Distance:

Nice 9 hole near Zurich

1    10/16/2017   11/10/2017
Review By: The Katana Kid
Pros: Winterthur-Grüze is a well designed course in a highly dense populated area. The well maintained park is surrounded by high rise apartments, which are represented on the course map by the lines of black squares adjacent to the course. The paths throughout the park had a constant stream of traffic when I was there, but for the most part did not affect me except for 4 and 5.

The first hole has a mando that you won't notice until you look closely at the course map, which I didn't do so I ended up in the backyard of the apartments on my first drive. Yikes! There is no fence so you're up close to people sitting on their back porch. Fortunately my throw was on a good line to the basket so it wasn't too bad other than the fact I was out of bounds from the mando around the bushes to the right.

After reading a review I expected a water challenge on 9, but literally laughed out loud when I saw it. The only risk of ending up in this tiny pond (almost like a big puddle when I was there) is if you either have grip lock or you're a beginner just learning to throw a disc. It is a nice hole, however, since you are throwing from one mound to another mound where the basket is perched and there are some guardian trees.
Cons: Four and five fairways cross, which is bad enough, but it's even worse that one of the sidewalks with people on it is where they cross. I had to wait a few minutes here for pedestrians to pass, but felt this design flaw could be tolerated since much of the remainder of the course played well.
Other Thoughts: Most 9 hole courses in a busy park don't have the distance of 3 (433') and 6 (381'), yet both use the off-the-beaten-track areas well. If you're in the area and looking for a place to toss plastic at chains then this place is worth a stop and if you want to air it out with a big arm then 3 and 6 will allow you.

Although I like this little course I could not give it a "very good" or 3.5 so I settled on a "good" or 3.0. I do think it's better than a "decent/typical" course at 2.5, even though I'm sure these scores are a moving target among voters.

Grüze

2-4    5/21/2012   5/20/2012
Review By: ElementZ
Pros: Fantastic hole design. #6 and #9 are very, very fun to play.

#6 is a 132 meter par 4 that plays to a little hill where the baskets on top.

But #9 steals the show as coolest hole in Zürich. It's an elevated tee that plays towards an elevated basket and in the middle of the two is a small pond with perfectly placed trees on both sides and one growing out the middle. It's fantastic. The design here is top notched and has a excellent variety of shots for only being nine holers. I was impressed and pleased!

The course has great baskets, great signs, a course map, and a yellow wooded line denoting the tee at all but one (#8) tees.

It also has a 4 basket 'warm-up area' about five minutes west of the first tee in the big sports complex.
Cons: This course was seriously going down as one of my favorite 9-holers ever until I got to the last three holes, which were completely and depressingly overgrown with grass. They're utterly hopeless to play without a spotter and even then it's a pain to walk through the 3 foot tall grass. The plus side is that the first 6 are in great condition.
Other Thoughts: This is a great nine holer in the area. I had a ton of fun here and it's absolutely worth checking out if you're in the area.

All course information is up-to-date as of 5/20/12!