Greencastle, PA
Whispering Falls DGC Share
Uploaded By: Cerealman Hole #9 (Taken 1/2009)
Hole #9 Basket: A position is about 300 feet away, just to the left of the trail.

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Unsafe

1    2/17/2020   2/18/2020
Review By: DiscoGolf13
Pros: There are some creative, challenging and even fun holes on this course but one has to have a set of unexpected skills and run the risk of injury or breaking the law in order to enjoy those holes. See Cons.
Cons: If a disc golf hole involves one of these things, there simply should not be a disc golf hole there.

Terrain where safety is a concern - Between holes 2 and 3, the slope is so steep there is a rope anchored to trees one has to hold on to in order to safely ascend/descend the hill.)

Expert Mountain Climbing Skills - My fitbit indicated I climbed 45 flights of stairs after 18 holes.

Supreme Navigational Skills - Signage was so poor, we had to use our google maps and gps to find some of the holes and even then, we still wandered around many trails in vain, having to backtrack to the previous hole in order to find the next tee box.

Risk of Injury - The risk of being cut or injured while searching through thick trees, and thorny bushes to retrieve a disk which was thrown just a bit off line is high. And, some of the bridges/steps you have to use to move through the course were not in good shape.

Potential of breaking a law or injuring someone else with a throw - With many of the holes winding through crowded sections of the park where people are jogging, walking, walking their dogs, kids are playing, many vehicles are parked, and one hole (17) where protected wetlands are much of the fairway, a player is highly likely to throw a disc that will result in a violation of some law, park rule or even worse, hitting someone or someone's property with a disc.

A fairway which is a creek/stream bed - For one hole (I believe it was #5), the fairway was a creek/stream bed with a steep incline/decline so you had to throw your first shot into this bed and navigate your way out.
Other Thoughts: All of the cons are potential hazards at the Whispering Falls disc golf course and they are not the normal hazards associated with the game of disc golf. Any course where safety is a concern can not be a good course. Also, the layout of the holes is illogical. There are some distances between holes and the next tee box which take 5 to 10 minutes to get to. It took us about 10 minutes to find the tee box for hole 17. It was in a parking lot with of course no signs to tell us where hole 17 begins. And from the tee box on 17 you have to throw over protected wetlands (one of the few sings we did see) so if your disc goes in there, you are not allowed to retrieve it. A disc golf hole simply should not have the threat of damaging the environment.

Disorganized mess of course

1    9/20/2018   12/25/2018
Review By: Aslan009
Pros: Lots of options, Challenging
Cons: Disorganized, dangerous, hard terrain, Not marked well
Other Thoughts: It will take you a while to understand this course and how to even get around. The maps will not help you. Many holes are in the woods and are poorly designed and unsafe. It would have been better if they had designed this course with 18 safe and well laid out holes. Many places to loose disks, This is not a course for beginners.

Tough Course, Good Exercise

5+    5/5/2018   6/20/2018
Review By: trayer3
Pros: - 27 diverse holes
- Fairly distant, challenging holes
- Good hiking workout
- Baskets still in good shape
Cons: - 60% narrow, wooded throws plus extensive underbrush in Summer
- A few holes over tall grass/thorns
- Be prepared to lose discs in the Summer and find new ones in the Fall
- Navigating between holes can be difficult with signage placed too far after a path turn (I'm looking at you, Hole #2)
- Tees and benches are starting to deteriorate
Other Thoughts: Excellent challenge for more experienced players.
Spring and Fall play allows you to find discs, but once the plants begin to fill out, it is too easy to lose discs. (Even if you have a friend spotting for you)
Holes 19-27 were added on at some point, so the flow is a bit off.

Hike and Disc

1    7/2/2017   7/2/2017
Review By: B-Rock
Pros: Very beautiful. Challenging technical course. Only was able to play the first 18 due to time restrictions. Many of these fairways could be described as so he track trails &#128513;. Wear your hiking boots, pack plenty of liquid refreshment. You will be hiking.
Cons: Missing a couple signs on tee pads, causing me to home a couple directions to find out how to play the hole. Although you can find a large map of the course in quite a few locations, take a pic of it at the beginning. They could ise more trail markers directing you to the next hole. I might have had time for all 27 if I hadn't had to back track around so much.

I don't get it.

1    6/10/2017   6/23/2017
Review By: DiscGolfCraig
This review was updated on 12/25/2018
Pros: Whispering Falls offers a 27-hole disc golf course with lots of variety. In addition to a round of golf, you're also getting a tour of the entire park, complete with several loooooooong walks.
- The parts are greater than the sum here. There were plenty of solid hole layouts throughout the round. Those good vibes are negated by some major flaws that made me think about quitting mid-round multiple times. And that was before I got to experience the 5-minute walk between #12 - 13 that took me through the deepest parts of the woods.
- Course flows back and forth from wooded and open holes. It really feels like several different courses rolled into one. From tightly wooded holes (#6) to a creekside hole (#11) to ending your round in an open field (#22 - 27), you get several variations of a round.
- The course has multiple identities (or maybe none) that will take your round from having some easy birdie chances to tough pars to just hoping you won't lose your disc on the next throw.
- Course offers dual tee pads. Course also has excellent tee signs. They're useful on blind tee shots.
- You'll get plenty of exercise playing here as the course through the entire park. As a positive, you don't have the longest possible walk from hole #27 back to the first tee. That would only be the case if the course ended after #24.
Cons: The entire layout is a cluster. Due to a lack of signage within the park, I started on hole #21. Just as well, because this was the only stretch of holes I played chronologically.
- The wooded area is where all logic, reason, and sequential number go to die. Signage from one hole to the next....leads you to a completely different hole. I played #15, followed the arrowed path, which led me to the basket for #6. And then it gets better.
- Did I mention how some fairways also doubled as walking trails? Yeah, I found that hard way after nearly hitting someone on a blind tee shot. Later, I found separate walkers on a different hole. Nice!
- The upkeep here is virtually non-existent. In the woods, the grass is tall. On #10, not only do you have to search for discs in the fairway, the tall grass also hides the rocks, roots, and downhill slope. So, you can lose a disc, twist an ankle, and faceplant on the same hole.
- Holes #11 & 12 become a parking lot and camping area for creek-goers. I had to skip #11, but got to walk the hole, and could (cautiously) play #12. #11 looks like a great hole so I was bummed about that.
- The walk between #12 and 13 is the stuff of legends. You walk a narrow path through the woods that is on the edge of a slope. The thought crossed my mind that if I fell down the hill how long would it be before somebody came along? It's at least a 5-minute walk. To top it off. You finally get an arrow pointing you in one direction....and it leads you to a fork in the trail. Good news: I guessed correctly. You really couldn't put in a second arrow?
- The locals I ran into on the course spent their entire time talking with me pointing out the course's flaws. When the advice is to either take two cars - one at the first tee, the second to drive back - or to play half of the course, get your car and drive it to the back end - that's checkmate.
- I ended up playing all but several of the holes. Two were missed simply because I couldn't find them in the woods. The others because of other park goers using occupying the space.
Other Thoughts: Whispering Falls needs a dedicated local club that focuses on maintaining this course. The parts that were in decent shape were the makings of a solid course. The problem is that there's about half of the course that needs improvement.
- Just because the park can hold 27 holes doesn't mean that the best choice. A more centralized 18-hole layout that cuts down on walking and on overlapping with other park activities is the best option here.
- It was frustrating that two of the course's best holes were unplayable when I was there. #3 looked like a great layout, easily having the makings of the course's signature hole. #11 was the course's other long hole, one of the only multi-shot layouts on the course.
- Based on other reviews, it seems the course is cut down maybe thrice a year. If you play the course after the woods are cleared away, this could be a fun course. Holes like #10 & 15 would become excellent risk/reward layouts. Even a hole like #14, with a thinned out rough, would become a more enjoyable layout
- My review is based on an anecdotal round. Maybe this is as bad as it will ever get. That said, others have noted navigational issues. One of the fairway walkers noted the downed tree between #7 & 8 (which is still part of the walking trail) had been down for a while. My impression of the course would also be better if I played the course sequentially rather than playing it PacMan style.
- All that said, the course is far from a 4-star level course. Of the ten 18-hole courses I played over 2 days in this region, this was both the most disappointing and overall, weakest quality course. If I had been able to play all 27 holes (even if they weren't in order), perhaps a slight ratings boost would be in order. As it is, I'm giving the course a qualifying 2.5 rating. Fix the course's problems and this will be a better play.

2-4    9/5/2015   9/5/2015
Review By: thirtydirtybirds
This review was updated on 10/22/2015
Pros: Played for the first time here today. The first hole really sets a good mood for the round, which is important because this course is a challenge. Some very tight fairways and good use of elevation here. Some quite long holes, some good technical shorter ones.

My favorite hole was hole 10 (I think) which is a big swooping hyper down hill through a moderately wooden fairway. Really great hole, awesome to watch the disc fly on that one, cringing as it weaves down through the trees!

Challenging putting, with slopes playing a part on several greens, very tricky but rewarding.
Cons: Navigation is not great. I think they just had a tournament here recently, so I think some of the signage was from that, but there were 2 or three different iterations of tee signs throughout the course. Could easily make a wrong turn and miss holes.

The rough is absolutely brutal! Normally not bad, but a lot of dead fall and poison ivy lines the fairways, very thick, very punishing. Thorns!

19-27 feel disconnected from the rest of the course.
Other Thoughts: Overall I will try it again. The rough is very harsh, and if you hit it you are in real trouble. High lost disc chance on several holes.

A challenging course, more so mentally than anything else. Definitely worth playing, I recommend checking it out.

Edit: I originally had the hike from #12 to #13 as a con, but in retrospect it isn't. Its a fairly long walk, and a pleasant one, but if you aren't expecting it, it may be a con for you. So get ready for a walk at that point. There is a bench at the tee to #13 to sit and collect yourself before continuing on.

You Gotta at Least Play it Once

1    5/11/2015   6/17/2015
Review By: BigAl724
Pros: Whispering Falls is a unique disc golf experience, literally testing your mental and physical durability throughout the entire round. This is truly one of those courses that you should at least experience once. This is due to its unique setting. It starts and ends like a typical town park, but for most of the course, you are deep in the woods playing daunting holes that allow little room for error with heavy rough, thick tree lines and constant elevation changes. I also feel this way because it's worth playing just to test where your mental game is, to see how much you can hold it together when things go bad.

With 27 holes, you will get a ton of different looks and shot types. There are plenty of holes that play through super tight paths, ones that are more moderately wooded but have risk factors to it, and plenty of chances for long open bombs at the end of the course. A huge difference in hole lengths and multiple par 4's are offered. There are even chances to get wet on 11 and 17. The variety is good here.

Hole 1 is a great hole and was actually my favorite. A 685' par 4 that starts out in the open and plays downhill through different patches of trees. I wish more holes were like this one, playing from the open into the woods and vice versa.

There is moderately elevation change on most of the front 18, which raises the fun factor in the woods. Hole 10 is a huge downhill shot that plays through a lot of trees. 15 is another fun downhill shot, an ace run with a steep slope behind the basket.

Since the setting was so cool, I actually enjoyed the hiking aspect to the course. It just needed more navigational aids. If I always knew what path I for sure needed to take, I would've paced myself and enjoyed the scenery more. I didn't mind the walk from 12-13 like others, it was a cool hike. I can see how some wouldn't like the length of the walk though.

Multiple pin and tee locations add to the variety of the course. The pin positions are so different that I'm sure locals really enjoy the changing aspect to this. The tee signs where the most detailed I've ever seen in terms of explaining where the pin was and how to get to the next hole. With the challenging navigation here, I really appreciate the effort put into the tee signs.

It's a long, exhausting round, so I also appreciated that it looped back to the parking lot after 9 and 18.
Cons: Ok, so I don't want to beat a dead horse, but the navigation here is something else. Definitely the toughest course I've played to navigate through, and I had a map. The tee signs were tremendously detailed with information to get to the next hole and I really did appreciate that. But, when it takes a paragraph to explain how to get to the next hole, navigation's an issue. There were a few signs pointing you in the right direction, but there were also times where multiple paths intersected and there was no way of knowing for sure which way was correct. I read that vandals take the signs down, and that's tough to deal with. But when I played, more signs were surely needed.

As I said, I liked the hiking aspect here. Physically and aesthetically, it was enjoyable. There just needs to be more clarity. With a map and reading the tips on the tee signs, I still had a few extra long searches.

There is definitely a push to play this course with someone else for the first time through. With the amount of heavy rough present right off most fairways, the challenging navigation, and the length of time that it will take you to play this course, having another person present will help keep you sane. Playing this course alone definitely hurt my experience. I know, some people think, "Just make sure you play with a local - problem solved." But the fact that this course is designed in a way that heavily favors having a partner with you hurts it for out of towners and first-time players. I generally travel to and play different courses on my own, so that isn't always an option.

Hole 27 finishes nowhere near 1. Since the course loops back to the car after 18, I recommend driving to 19 by the basketball courts so you'll be closer to the finish.

The finishing holes offer more variety to the course, but they didn't do much for me. They are pretty much wide open shots with a little bit of O.B. here and there.
Other Thoughts: If I am just rating the quality of disc golf holes offered here, I would give the course a 3.5. There is nice variety with some unique holes thrown in. However, with the problems that are present with the navigation and serious rough factor, I feel that the experience as a whole is a 3.0. It's not very often that I base much of my rating off of "experience", I generally try to focus on the golf holes offered since that is what I most enjoy in my round. However, the experience here is too much of a factor - especially for first-time players - for it not to be counted in my rating.

Maybe someday I will return, but I will definitely make sure I am playing with someone else. Make sure you give yourself a lot of time to play here, this isn't a course you will blow through.

you need a guide

1    5/9/2015   5/9/2015
Review By: adazm
Pros: clearly people are taking care of the course.
it has a lot of potential.
am sure they run some wicked fun tournaments there.
Cons: well, when i found hole 19, i parked my car thinking, "i'll just start here and end on 18 at same place". that was never going to happen. holes 19-27 are fairly open and decent but unexciting. the real problem was the 30 minutes i spent walking from hole 27-1, eventually giving up on hole 1 and starting up again on hole 2. no bueno.
Other Thoughts: am sure if you are local or with friends this place is a blast. dual tees are always helpful (assuming they can be found!)

Nice, but too much

1    6/15/2014   6/17/2014
Review By: Longjonsilverz
Pros: 27 holes. The holes are very well designed. Lots of variety with some very long distance holes and some short ace opportunities. Some holes are open and some are densely forested. Very challenging and difficult. A course for experienced players. The park is nice and the scenery and trails around the course are very nice. Score cards are available in the mailbox at the kiosk near hole 1.
Cons: By far the biggest con of this course is the lack of signage, and directions. This course also has the longest walk between holes I have ever seen, Hole 12 to 13 has a walk that seems at least half a mile or more long, all uphill. Very easy to get lost for a first timer. Not worth the lost discs in the summer. Rough is VERY dense and even good players will struggle to stay out since many trees deflect discs in the wrong direction. Hole 5 is a nightmare for losing discs. There are a few walking paths that overlap the course and I almost hit a few people going by when they stepped out of the woods. A few holes have no tee signs or are in really bad shape. A few holes have tables, benches, or other places people might be in them. The tee maps usually show multiple baskets but sometimes there is only one or the others were very hard to find.
Other Thoughts: I usually don't mind if a course has poor signage or maintenance, but this was the one exception. I got lost many times and never finished because i was wondering around the trails in the woods trying to find the next hole. What makes this worse is that I had taken a picture of the course map on my cell phone (I would recommend this) and that still wasn't enough help. The gap between hole 12 and 13 was not only like a half mile walk up hill, but it has many unmarked trails that branch off to the sides which make this even harder to figure out if you're a first timer. I really would like to give this course a better rating because it had some good holes and decent variety, but I know I am probably not gonna play here much again since I can just go to nearby Hagerstown Md and play a better course with less of a chance of losing discs. This course is still good though, just be aware of getting lost as a first timer and the potential for losing discs.

This Course Wasn't Designed For The Likes Of Me!

1    7/14/2013   7/22/2013
Pros: Because of it's extremely challenging terrain with narrow fairways, some fairly dense rough, lots of elevation changes and long distances, this course was made for the advanced to pro player. Or maybe at the very least, the Gung Ho, young, physically fit intermediate player looking it challenge himself both physically and disc golf wise. I, however, do not in any way resemble that young fit stud of a player.

I am an older, noodled armed, total recreational level player who attempted to play the course early one July morning By MYSELF.

First problem, I arrived about 7:15 am and the park observes banker's hours doesn't open until 8 am. So I had to park outside the gate and hike around trying to locate the first tee pad. Upon reaching and playing the # 1, a 685' monster, I proceeded to look around about 15 minutes trying to find # 2. By the time I reached # 5, I realized that this course was not a course to tackle alone. With it's long, narrow fairways and my erratic arm, a spotter or two is a must. Then I promptly got totally lost and proceeded to wander up and down these steep paths through the woods. I finally came out at the picnic area at # 9 and gave up the fight. I feel lucky to have found my way back to my car.
Cons: For me, the navigation was a nightmare. There were paths leading every which way and very little in navigational aids. And I had the on-line map.

The course is limited in it's clientele. It's a great challenge for the upper range of players but is way too much course for us average disc golfers.

Park doesn't open until 8 am.
Other Thoughts: I can give this a course a 3.0 rating with the understanding that the young, strong and skilled players are thrilled with the challenge they will receive here. I've thrown with them before and it's a joy to watch them match their skills with a course like this.

I just want to warn other average golfers or those not in peak physical condition. This course will kick your fanny! It's a major hike with lots of serious ups and downs. Don't bring the newbie here.

< Prev 1 2 3 4