Ripley, WV
Parchment Valley Winter Lake DGC Share

Safari Golf Off The Beaten Path

1    9/20/2018   9/20/2018
Review By: MrFrosty
Pros: Okay , 9 baskets , orange in color in an area . The baskets are placed around in this area . No more pros
Cons: Okay . I am not sure if this qualifies as a course . When you go down Parchment Valley Road , you will see a couple of orange colored baskets on your right . Don't proceed to the conference center and waste time looking for the beginning of this course . What you saw a quarter mile back was it . There is really no place to park at #1 , near a maintenance building , in the very front of this trailer camp park . The grass was a little long , but not too bad . There was a bare spot on the ground of this field , so I figured to park the car near the second basket , off the gravel road walk a couple of hundred yards back to where I could throw at the first of only 2 baskets that I saw so far . I threw at one , stepped sideways a few feet and threw to the second one , then drove back over a short cement bridge , parking in the grass off the road , I saw a 3rd basket up a hill , so I threw from the road up the hill and retrieved my disc from the single chained basket . I thne guessed to follow the gravel road to my right , leading me to a lake and 3 more baskets set about . The baskets are numbered , but where do you throw from ? This place always keep you guessing . #4 basket to your left , 5 slightly up the hill , #6 hidden in a large circle , lower on the right after you walk by the lake , #7 basket by some fi trees . I looked and looked all over for #8 . After discouragingly walking back past the lake , VOILA ! The basket was hidden for you to find when you were walking back to your car , on the left side of the gravel road you walked past the lake on . I threw that , then looked for 9 . Got in my car , drove over the little bridge , and what do you know . There was a basket up on the hill under some trees , kind of up and away from #2 but on the opposite side of the road . I should get a prize , or a finders fee , for locating all of this place's baskets . No map , no tees , no effort to drive to to play . I don't think I would get my disc bag out of my car , even if I had camped in their camp ground . Hey Parchment Valley Winter Lake . How can you judge hole distances like they did here when you don't have anywhere to throw from ? Hey , Parchment Valley , Put some bricks down , or some toe boards , get on DGR and print a map out , and maybe someone will take this as a real course ....
Other Thoughts: I have said about everything I need to on the cons section of my review . If this was even an add on for the campers to do if they were bored , Parchment Valley missed on this disaster of a course . Pretend it's not there and drive on past Lower Parchment Valley Rd to go to Cedar Lakes , 5 miles away . Thumbs down on this one . DO NOT PLAY IT !

Another Safari

1    2/5/2013   3/17/2013
Review By: knettles
This review was updated on 5/6/2014
Pros: -Actually nice homemade baskets.
-Layout isn't too horrible (even a throw over a lake.)
Cons: -NO TEES! Some people say they're there, but I couldn't find anything, and I looked pretty hard.
-Only 9 holes.
Other Thoughts: I have a hard time liking a course no matter how good the layout is when there aren't any tees. To me, it just doesn't count as a course. In my mind, safari golf isn't disc golf. It's just throwing discs around. If they put tees in (or ones you could actually find), this wouldn't be too bad of a 9 hole. Sure, Cedar Lakes is definitely better, but it'd be worth the trip given a little extra work.

1    10/6/2011   11/6/2011
Review By: jkdisc
Pros: This is a fine 9 hole course located on a Baptist Conference Center's property. It is very secluded and quiet.

Other Pros:

- risk/reward with water in play
- restrooms nearby
- some elevation used
- distances are beginner friendly
- seasonal camping on site
- friendly staff
Cons: The tees are very tough to find. Besides trying to find the tees, I don't really have any other complaints. I don't really have many memorable holes played either.
Other Thoughts: I actually camped on site right next to the course. There are showers nearby. My overall experience was great.

If you are passing through the area and need some inexpensive camping this is a great place for you. Otherwise, the course isn't worth a special trip.

1    7/15/2011   7/20/2011
Review By: thewishman
Pros: Quiet, no other players
Camp staff are very nice
Cons: Could not find a single tee.
Other Thoughts: Was nice to find a course in the area
Would have enjoyed playing from the proper tee
The course map doesn't reflect what I saw - some holes have been moved

Its fun.

5+    3/20/2010   3/23/2010
Review By: Darth Bob
Pros: 9 holes go by pretty quick. But a nice, quiet park and most that plat there are great people. Not to much walking up and down hills!!!
Cons: Beware the disc eating pines on 5 & 6!!!! On a Baptist Confrence Centers property, NO "refeshing beverages." Fine by me.

1    12/1/2009   12/1/2009
Review By: airforcechck
Pros: The area is big and spacious. They do have long and short tees. There are tree and a lake to throw across (if you shoot the long tees many discs have been lost in the water) There is picnic tables and a grill out there.
Cons: They haven't gotten the tees well marked yet. The tees are pieces of wood that get buried occasionally and one of the tees the wood marker is missing.
Other Thoughts: There is a Reverend that live in a brick house right next to hole one, so if you see an orange car he might be available to show you where the location of the tees are. It really helps having someone who has played this course before.

Parchment Valley DGC

2-4    7/18/2009   7/20/2009
Review By: Dixie Boy
Pros: Pretty area. The grass was well taken care of. Had the whole place to myself.
Cons: Tee boxes where hard to find. They are just pieces of wood embedded in the ground. No signs or directions as to where the next tee or basket is located.
Other Thoughts: Not many other courses around. A place to play and practice.