2 Helpful / 1 Not
Pros: -Concrete Tees
-Good flow (besides 3-4-5, easy to navigate, but just a walk)
-Pars are fair (except 6 should probably be a 3)
Cons: -Lots of the holes are just open drives, as the terrain doesn't offer many obstacles
-River is cold, the bottom is sharp rocks, and you can rarely see the bottom.
-Lots of geese, with occasional dead ones lying around
Other Thoughts: -Proper parking lot is down educational highway, then pull into the lots as close to the water as possible (closed on weekends, just use the one next to it). The lot on the other side of the building (by hole 2) is for staff and apparently requires a permit.
-Not a bad course, just nothing "memorable"
2 of 3 people found this review helpful.
5 Helpful / 0 Not
Flat but Fun
Pros: - Surprising amount of angles are used. Excellent use of trees, bushes and fences as obstacles.
- There is a nice variety of distances being used. 6 of the 9 holes are over 300' and there are two holes over 500'. This course allows you to test your max distance.
- The course has a nice flow overall with a short walk from the parking lot to the Practice Basket & Hole #1. Hole #9 finished right at the parking lot. There is a slight hiccough in the flow with Hole #4 & 5. The map has been updated but someone needs to update the tee signs. When playing, just note that the Tee Sign that says #5 is actually #4 and vice versa (according to the map and easy of flow).
- Safety ranks pretty good on this course. The only holes that come close to overlapping are #4 & 5. If there is a group on each you will just need to use good judgment . Hole #9 does have a docking area to the left of the basket but it most likely does not get a lot of traffic.
- Hole #8 has multiple tees with Long Tee giving you a 630' fairway!
- The concrete Tees are in excellent condition
- The Tee Signs are located on poles to the rear of each Tee and are very helpful. They are a little beat up but they show the Basket, Mando & Next Tee. The map is handy but really wont be needed once Hole #4 & 5 is updated on the Tee Signs. Navigation is very simple here.
- The Baskets are in excellent condition and are well labeled
- The water hazard greatly adds to the play factor on Hole #8
- Good upkeep by the university
- Low traffic by disc golfers and civilians
- Practice Basket located near Hole #1
- Plenty of parking
- Near the highway, easy to get to
Cons: - Very little in elevation changes on this mostly wide open course
- Could use a bench or two and a trash receptacle near one of the Tees
- A sign guiding you to Hole #1 would be an excellent addition to assist first time goers
- Flow on Hole #4 & 5 (previously discussed) slowed us down a bit
- Hole #8, Short Tee, is a wide open boring light toss. Could this be helped by moving the basket back and toward the water or in another direction?
- Even though I like the layout of Hole #5 with the fence and tree making you pick your path I do find it extremely short at 179'.
Other Thoughts: - This course is set on the university school grounds and is mostly flat but well mowed. Typical college setting with nice buildings and trees scattered lightly around the large yards. I do not know the politics on this course but there seems to be plenty more room to add another 9 holes.
- There seemed to be a constant wind on Hole #8 & 9 even though the weather was clear. Not a pro or con but something to be aware of. Bring your windy discs just in case.
- As 9 hole courses go this course was fun even though it is very flat. I would say there are some challenges but it's certainly not a 'challenging' course.
- I think that Hole #7 is the most challenging with it's right turning fairway toward the water into a small putting area.
- My favorite hole is #3 I guess. Fun course but nothing really sticks out as a favorite.
- Overall I enjoyed the course but I would not consider this something to travel far to try out. It does mix well when you want to hit this course up before lunch then do a round across the street at Young's Run DGC. As with most 9 hole courses I'm happy it's there as it adds to our sport. Thanks to those that put this course together for all of us to use.
5 of 5 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.