Hardeeville, SC
The Sarge Share
Uploaded By: garryj Hole #20 (Taken 6/2016)

Technical fun

1    6/4/2017   6/6/2017
Review By: goodeness
Pros: Amazing course. I'm new to the game and have only played a couple courses in my hometown of asheville, but this one was a ton of fun.

-if traveling to Hilton head, it's an easy stop on your way there. About 40 minutes from the island.

-whoever designed this and the local club who maintains it, fantastic job!! The layout is tight and challenging, the walk ways and tee boxes are in great shape.

-did not use a map, and we were able to navigate all 18 holes with ease. We struggled with 19 and 20 but probably our fault.

-beautiful place. Great surroundings. The rough isn't as thick as the mountains of NC, so when you toss one off the fairway it's an easy find.
Cons: My complaint has nothing to do with the course. We went after a quick rain shower on a 94 degree day in June. The mosquitoes on the holes inside the woods were monsters. Bring bug spray bc those things will murder you.

No cons about this place.
Other Thoughts: This is a must play for any disc golfer coming within its radius. Trust me, you won't regret it.

The Swampy Sarge!

5+    12/31/2016   2/24/2017
Review By: djtripp20
This review was updated on 6/6/2017
Pros: The Sarge is one of those courses that is both memorable and extremely frustrating. When it's dry, this is one of my favorite places to play. Each hole offers different lines and challenges. You'll end up throwing just about every shot in your arsenal during a round out here. Most of the holes are through the woods, but the fairways are wide enough that casual rec players like me can usually get away with some off-line throws. Most of the rough is accessible enough that you won't spend very long looking for ricocheted drives. the baskets are all in good condition and the course is remote enough that usually it's not very busy. The course resides within Sergent Jasper Park and offers camping and other amenities. Scenery is beautiful out here as well. Some of the holes on the back side wrap around a very scenic lake and you'll even find yourself driving across it when playing from the blue tees or higher. There are 20 holes on the course that wrap around back to the parking near hole 1.
Cons: When it rains, this place gets WET. A few of the holes have permanent bridges and walkways down the fairways to give the player an attempt to keep their feet dry. We've kind of made it a routine at the Sarge to not wear socks just because we know it's going to be soggy. The water from the ponds and lakes is close enough that if you catch a tree the right way it will swallow your disc. The water is home to alligators and other critters so it's not a good idea to go in after it. Due to the swampy nature of some of the course, it's not unlikely to encounter some slithery wildlife when playing a round.
Other Thoughts: When it's dry, this is one of my favorite courses. It's quiet, it's relaxing, and quite frankly it's just fun. If you're traveling up or down I-95 and want to play a round, this is a great place to stop. It's 5 minutes from the interstate. It's also close enough to Savannah and Hilton Head to be playable if you're visiting either of these locations as well.

The Sarge: Beware of Gators

1    8/2/2014   8/10/2014
Review By: Billy K2
Pros: The Sarge was a very scenic, fun course that will challenge even the best of players. The locals were very friendly and helpful. The course was pretty crowded, which I like to see. There were restrooms throughout the course. The baskets and tees were in very good shape, and the course was free of any trash. The navigation and signs were great, and I was able to navigate the course with ease. There are multiple tees. I love hole 12 because it is a tough shot over water to the basket.
Cons: The course was very muddy. When I played, it rained the day before. I got freaked out a little when I saw a alligator swimming close to shore, but I didn't encounter a gator on land. I'm not a fan of the mixed match tees(Carpet and natural), but I can deal with it.
Other Thoughts: I went to The Sarge while I was on vacation this year, and it was a fun experience. If you are vacationing in the area, I would recommend you play The Sarge before you leave.

My Home Course

5+    4/3/2017   6/13/2014
Review By: jeffboi
This review was updated on 4/3/2017
Pros: Tight technical course that will test your skills. Baskets are in great condition - tee boxes are mixed surfaces, but are level ... they have improved the drainage issues. This is a Lowcountry course. Yes, there are snakes and alligators; no, they do not pose a great risk - don't believe the hype :) - Multiple tee boxes for different skill levels. Easy to navigate. **NEW** As of 11/1/15 Holes 19 (par 3) & 20 (par 4) have been added - no more "long walk back from 18"
Cons: There are very few opportunities to rip it wildly - which can be fun. You may loose a disc or two if you make errant throws.
Other Thoughts: Great course - awesome to have this as my home course!

White Tees very short - great for beginners and family games.

Club locals play blue tees mostly

Golds are for expert players only! Not recommended for players with SSA under 950.

Course is well marked, but in case you want to know in advance;
* Water on 1, 2, 9, 10, 11,12, 13,14, 15, 16, 18, 19 & 20 all OB
* 12 green is played as an "Island" - yellow rope behind green signifies back of green. Long is OB: Player should re-tee.
* Water on both sides of 13 is OB
* Rope along edge of marsh on right of 15 - all OB. Pond left at 250' is also OB.
* All roads are OB

Woodsy/Isolated, Great Disc Golf

1    2/28/2014   3/31/2014
Review By: S.Cann
Pros:
-Multiple tees (White, Blue, and Gold). All are visible and easy to find. You can customize your DG experience.
-Long holes are interspersed with tight/technical holes providing variety so it doesn't feel like long throw after long throw.
-The Sarge is conveniently located right off the interstate.
-Hole 1 is easy to find and the course flows well. At no point was I wandering to find the next tee.
-Lots of water hazards really challenge you and force you to play smart.
-One of the biggest positives of this course is that it is designated Disc Golf only and you don't have to contend with dog walkers, playgrounds, picnics, etc.
-Mixed tees (Mats, natural, etc.), but none were hazardous.
-Great course for tournament play. Holes are spaced well.
-The course does not seem to be too crowded as there were only two other groups on a warm, Saturday afternoon.
-This course has that isolated ambience where it is just you and nature.
Cons:
-Long walk back from hole 18
-Extremely marshy/muddy on many holes.
-The rough is punishing at times, but not so much that you lose a disc. However, it is VERY easy to lose one in the water in several places.
-Major risk of animal encounters here
This is a really good/challenging course with lots of water and risk/reward shots (Hole 1 being a true risk/reward shot). You have to be able to execute many types of shots in order to score well at The Sarge. I would be overjoyed if this were my home course.

Slippery when wet

5+    7/26/2012   8/26/2012
Review By: Chuck6995
Pros: This is a fun disc golf course where being a straight thrower is a premium, like many other people before me who have played here you must watch your step at all times, yes there are snakes and gators present but the challenging fairways are really fun.
Cons: being a course in the low country brings a problem here, it is flat and rain water (floods) this piece of land, along with that comes the skeeters so bring bug spray and goretex shoes, other than that no cons here
Other Thoughts: i enjoy this course alot wish i was closer to here so i could play here more often, did i mention bring DEET.....

Watch the ground near the water

5+    7/24/2012   7/24/2012
Review By: kalpic30
Pros: I love this course and play it every time i'm over this way!
Cons: Grass needs more frequent maintaining (esp. on Hole 15). High grass invites un-welcomed reptiles...
Other Thoughts: Just wanted to give all readers a little piece of advice...Please pay close attention to the ground while retrieving your disc near ANY water on this course. In my past two visits, I have seen both a water moccasin and an alligator while picking up my disc. In all honesty, I didn't notice the water moccasin until I saw its back end slithering into the water; so I could have easily been a victim. The Sarge is a wonderful course and very fun to play. Do NOT let these words of advice scare you away from this course! I know that I'll be going back...probably tomorrow!

Very Challenging and Unique Course

1    11/6/2011   11/9/2011
Review By: Thundering Elephants
Pros: This course is one of the most scenic courses I have played. It was fairly easy to find using the GPS coordinates and directions off the DGCR page. There was plenty of parking and great restroom facilities with some vending machines. There was also a playground if anyone were to bring kids along. Practice basket by the main facility as well. The park attendant was very helpful and informative. I found the course to be well maintained. The baskets were in good shape. I'd say about half the blue tees were natural and half were a carpet type material that was smooth, large enough, and provided good traction. I played the blue tees, which were challenging enough for me. They had shorter white tees, which were pretty short, and longer gold tees on most holes, which appeared to add a good degree of difficulty. All the white and gold tees appeared to be natural. Signage was very helpful on holes that still had the signs as there were a lot of holes where the basket was not visible, and with so much water around, you really want to know where you are throwing. There was a nice variety of shots. 2 holes were over water, and most of the rest had water to at least one side of your throw. Not much elevation. About the only elevation is a raised basket, maybe 5 feet high. Another hole throws over a slight crest that prohibits seeing the basket. There was no undergrowth when I played. The course was not crowded (Sunday about 11 AM).

Cons: One of the things that makes this course unique are the gators. We saw one while we were playing. Another HUGE con for me personally is snakes. I hate snakes. Luckily I did not see any, but I don't see how that could be the norm. It's in a swamp with pine trees and pine needles covering everything. I was so afraid that while I was focused on finding my disc, I'd step on a rattler or moccasin. I don't see how you could play in the middle of summer and not see a snake. There was a lot of walking. The first tee is maybe a mile from the parking lot and the last hole is probably a mile from the parking lot. I personally don't mind walking, but it adds time to your round for sure. About half of the holes had sign posts but were missing the signs. If your disc goes in the water, it's probably gone. You are pretty brave if you go in after them. There are also signs posted saying if you swim, you are trespassing. The activity center was packed with people for some sort of group gathering.
Other Thoughts: I value unique courses, and this one certainly fits that description with water coming into play on a majority of holes. I am thankful I played this course in November and thankful it hadn't rained in a while. This course is in a swamp, but due to my lucky timing, it was fairly dry and there were no bugs to deal with. I didn't have much trouble finding the holes. The flow seemed fairly intuitive. The maps that were supplied were helpful the few times I had a question. I found the course very difficult. Anything less than precise throws were generally punished severely. A couple holes didn't seem to have a clear throwing path and it just took luck to get through. You have to sign in at the activity center and supply emergency contact info. I don't know if this is in case you get into it with a gator or snake, but this is the only place I can think of where I have had to do that. Overall, I had a blast playing this course and highly recommend.

Great mix of woods and water

5+    6/6/2009   2/6/2011
Review By: filobedo
This review was updated on 6/1/2013
Pros: Fantastic mix of par 3s, 4s and a 5 with 3 sets of tees on most holes. The local club does a great job on the course and with their sanctioned tournaments and the front reminds me of some of the shorter wooded Charlotte courses and easy to get to from I-95. The signage is great. Favorite holes include,
#1 - From middle tees is a great start hole with a hyzer for rhbh over water only about 240"
#3 - Challenging and short for a possible 2
#4 - Great anhyzer short for rhbh for a possible 2 if you do not get behind a
#5 - Challenging tight and long hole.
#8 - Favorite hole on the front with a little uphill fairway for the lowcountry and the basket sits next to the pond.
#12 - Fun short hole over the water for ace run
#14 - Great blindshot hole over a crest with the hole guarded by trees to the right.
#15 Long tight hole you must play smart and stay in the fairway. Hole is elevated on a mound and a 4 is very good, 3 is great.
Cons: #6 - Very unusual short hole with many obtacles including when you get to the basket. This hole could use some chainsaws for improvement or back the tee up to make it a short par 4.
Other Thoughts: Bring bugspray in the spring and summer and watch for alligators around water. There used to be a small gator that hung out in the small pond to the left on #13 and I am sure the mother is nearby anytime you see the small ones.

Very fun challenge...

1    11/14/2010   11/14/2010
Review By: ChrisWoj
Pros: The fun of the Sarge is entirely built on shaping lines. Almost every hole on the course has a very distinct line, few of them repeated. Straight lines, forehand s-curves, high anhyzers, low anhyzers, slow fades, straight to fades.... Along with a few holes in the open that broke up the woodland challenge.

The course was dominated with buzzz shots in the 300-330 foot range, on down to various putter shots from 200-275. I didn't break out the driver very often, this could be construed as a negative, but it doesn't have to be. I was very happy with the practice that it gave me.

On top of this there were a lot of water hazards that were used very well. There were two holes that required you to throw over the water, both short enough to be accessible to beginners. Multiple holes saw the water lining the right side of the fairway or the left side of the fairway all the way to the pin. A few had water beyond the pin a short ways, and another had a nice pool of water playing in a spot that would otherwise be a too-easy landing zone. Great use of the water.
Cons: However - it is very possible to construe the lack of driver shots as a neg. I recall using a driver off the tee only three times. One of them I could have definitely benefited from placing a straight mid up the fairway instead of going with the driver.

Additionally - there is no elevation on the course. I don't feel that it hurts as much as it could because it is caused by the fact that it is a lowland area and few areas have both water hazards lining the course along with big elevation changes. But it IS a negative nonetheless. A few holes manage to add a little with baskets mounted on mounds, and hole one has been clearly built up over time to provide some change if you land short (as I did). But really, all of the shots are very flat.
Other Thoughts: Overall the course may only play as a 3.5 - but the fun factor really helps to bump it slightly. If I could give it between a 3.5 and a 4.0 I probably would. It is a blast to throw, and I love the mixture of tightly wooded shots and limited undergrowth which really keeps errant shots from being punished too severely - it keeps the round very fun despite the tight lines you need to hit. Punishment without ridiculousness, and the scores on the holes will vary. I took some 5's, a 4 - clearly didn't play my best possible round, but I still had a ton of fun. (for the record - 52 over 19 holes, 10 birds, a 4, 2 5's.)