Marriottsville, MD

Share URL:

solid wooded course

2-4    8/9/2017   8/9/2017
Review By: globetrotter
Other Thoughts: Patapsco Valley State Park is a very solid, mostly wooded course. There are a couple of more open holes, and some that fall somewhere in between on the spectrum.

I personally have mostly played to the short baskets, either from the short or long tees. In some instances I think that the long baskets are not as well placed. For example, some of them feel as though the fairway has ended and then the basket is another 30-40 feet back in the woods. A couple are so well guarded by trees that you really just try to put it in the general area and hope to have a look. Things like that. But others may feel differently.

The course has a lot of variety and balance. There are a couple of holes that I really enjoyed. One very memorable hole is a right to left shot into a tree line where the basket is perched at the edge of a very steep hill.

I think Patapsco is very good. It doesn't quite compete with my favorite wooded courses, but it is close, and I think it is worth visiting.

Probably Need to Go Again

1    6/27/2017   6/27/2017
Review By: Orioles_Lefty
Pros: The multiple tees and multiple baskets provide a number of different routing options. The majority of the holes are interesting and well designed. The designers were clearly disc golfers, it would seem. The highlight holes, playing short to short and short to long, were 8 and 17, two of the holes that would fall into the "more wooded" category as the course ranges from wide-open shots to significantly wooded holes. And I didn't have trouble finding discs, even when I left the fairway on wooded holes while throwing multple discs. Might have been luck or it might have been a lack of underbrush for the most part.
Cons: As I discuss below, my relative disappointment with the course may simply be that I had had the course talked up to me in advance of going.

The four major drawbacks to me are: 1)lack of signage, 2)minor-ish navigation issues, 3) gravel tees and 4)issues that come with "state park" territory.

Given the lack of signs and the number of blind shots (even short to short), you pretty much have to walk the course once to get any sense of the holes. I chose to do that instead of walking up many fairways for research(the back nine features fewer blind or "dense in the trees" pins.

Others have touched on the navigation issues in earlier reviews, so I am not going to harp on them. What they all said remains accurate: some confusion in the middle of the front 9 and some backtracking necessary hole to hole, especially if you play the long baskets.

The loose gravel (powder gravel) tees are pitted from wear. I mentally allow uneven tee pads to get the best of me, so that's on me. But filling in the wear sports would be a huge improvement. Some are better than others, with perhaps 1/3 being worn enough to really be uneven.

As for state park issues, I decided to play the front 9 again (short-long) after completing the 18 holes. I ended up playing long-long on the first hole because people were picnicking in the fairway. When I got ready for my approach shot on 2, a man walked up to the pin and started reading the hole number signs. Odd. And twice I encountered people walking at me in fairways. Perhaps the holes share some "hiking" trails, official or otherwise. Not sure, but I prefer not to have interaction with non-disc golfers, especially if they are picnicking in the fairway. Oh, there's also a picnic table between the B and C pins on 1 that was being used. I worked around the people but still a problem.

Although the park costs 2 bucks, I don't see this as pay-to-play. It's "pay to get access to a state park," but that access doesn't guarantee a disc golf experience free from non-disc golfers. I guess I was looking forward to that (based on what I expected the course to be).
Other Thoughts: This is a course I wish I could write about without ranking. At just over 4, the course clearly has been a good experience for many people. I don't know if I'm there. I really felt it was a 3.0 but bumped it up to 3.5 wondering if I was scoring based off of disappointment relative to expectations.

Until I moved to the Balt area, I had never played a state park course. Now, having played two (I know, small sample size) I see them as doing the best they can with the space and contexts offered by a state park. And the designers did a really good job. That said, a number of the back nine holes (11, 14, 16) were pretty boring. Also, the short tees turn many shots into "straight" shots. The 2 tee/2 basket design offers variety, but the variety requires concessions from individual layouts.

I can't say much about the Green Monster (long-long) other than I opted out of a few long pins on the front 9 because they required throwing in or over much rougher (and sometimes overgrown) areas. That didn't interest me with my limited skill set but others may have a different experience.

I wanted to write this review because a recent one hadn't been posted. I wrote it specifically for someone who is only going to visit the course once. The course takes a lot of labor in terms of getting a lay of the land. I suspect I might enjoy it more on a return visit but I can't really say I enjoyed playing it today (I never felt in the "disc golf" zone). Like I said, I settled on a 3.5 as a protection against my own possibly unfair biases, but that seems like a high score for a course I didn't much enjoy playing.

Fun Course

1    6/1/2014   6/1/2014
Review By: JohtoVillage
Pros: I played the Long Tee to the Long Pin so my review is based on that design. What a challenge it was to play the Green Monster. This course was truly par 4 golf. I would recommend only playing the long tees to the long pins if you are an experienced golfer. There was not one hole under 400 feet! This course is listed at par 64 but I would probably put it at a par 67. It was an awesome test of golf that you simply do not find that often. Kudos to the designer and the park for allowing this course to be put in. On a long course I like to have long tee pads and these were some of the biggest tee pads I can remember playing. I like to be tested on a disc golf course and this course really tested your distance and your ability to hold a line. The course also had some sneaky elevation by the basket that really added some extra challenge. I had a few 50 foot jump putts that I attempted - one went in and one went 40 feet by and the one that I missed hit the basket. It appeared that most holes had three tees and every hole had two baskets. There are not many courses in the country that can boast having two baskets on every hole while offering enough variation to make it a different feel with a different challenge. Even though this course is really long from the back tees, it offered some nice variety where you couldn't just grip it and rip it without consequences. Hole 2, for instance, was this way. Even though the hole was 423 feet the fairway was tight enough to give me pause about crushing my destroyer and trying to make a 2. I threw my Buzzz 340 feet and took my three and went to the next hole. Finally, kudos to the designer for getting the baskets to be different colors. With two baskets on each hole I think it was imperative to go with a different color for the long baskets.
Cons: I truly wanted to give this course a 4.5 rating. I truly did. I knocked the course down to a 4.0 because of navigation issues. Even though I had a very detailed map I was simply lost on a few holes. After hole 5 I played hole 7 thinking it was hole 6. I went back and played hole 6 and was scratching my head at the navigation. Hole 5 played along the road and then hole 6 went across a road and down the other way. Unfortunately none of the holes have signs on them. Most holes do include some directional signs for going to the next tee but a lot of the time you are "hoping" that you are playing the right hole because as I said...none of the holes have any type of sign. I thought about giving the course a 4.0 rating but the combination of the tee pads and the safety issues forced me to give this course a 3.5. The tee pads, while really big, are soft gravel. The addition of concrete would immediately raise this course up in my opinion. On the safety issue, this was two-fold. On many holes (at least six I can think of), the long basket finished down a hill about 150 feet past the short pin. You then had to walk back up the hill to get to the next hole. In my opinion this is a safety issue. If someone was playing behind you and didn't know you were there I could see someone getting hit. Even though the addition of the second basket on each hole is WONDERFUL, walking back up the same fairway is not ideal. The second safety issue were holes 4 and 9. 9 was actually one of my favorite holes but throwing across a road of which cars are constantly driving down is just not a good idea. Hole 9 is not as bad as hole 4 because the angle allows you to see the cars more easily. Hole 4 is unfortunately a very dangerous hole, in my opinion. Because the latter 250 feet play somewhat uphill, you simply cannot see if there are cars coming or not. This is simply not safe. I think this is easily solved by simply finishing this hole before the road. I think having a road cross a hole is okay if its at the beginning of the hole where you can easily see if a car is coming, but putting a road where cars travel 30MPM 300 feet from the teebox is simply not safe.
Other Thoughts: PLEASE NOTE: Please pay attention to the location of this course. If you type Patapsco Valley State Park in your GPS you will be out of luck. I would recommend punching in the latitude/longitude coordinates or using the address listed on the first page when getting to the course. In addition, it is imperative that you get a map from the ranger station. If you do not have a map you will not have any distances and you will not know where to go on some holes. Also please note this is a pay to play course. I think this is the future of disc golf and was okay to pay the fee. It was $5 because I was out of state but that probably keeps some of the chuckers off of the course. Some others have commented that it was $3 but they definitely charged me $5. It this course adds signs and concrete I would definitely raise my rating to a 4.0 and would even consider a 4.5.

Decent course

1    7/13/2013   7/13/2013
Review By: timray109
Pros: As I read in previous reviews, one of the main things you will definitely need is accuracy.This course is a great course that I will definitely come back to it time and time again. It was very challenging and fun at the same time. Whenever I made a bad drive, soon enough I would make a birdie, and I would be happy again. It also had a great variety of elevation changes and hole lengths. Price was alright, at 3 bucks a pop.
Cons: As a somewhat of a beginner, I found this course to be quite challenging. Narrow fairways and tight pin positions just add to the difficulty. I found myself having some drives off the tee that looked alright, but do to the tight fairways, seemed terrible. Out of the whole time I was there, I probably spent 10-15 minutes looking for discs, and it would've been more, had I not had friends to spot where my discs landed. And because disc golf is not played from the ground like regular golf, it would help if the "rough" wasn't so tall. That is where the bugs live! Directions were not too good, at numerous holes I could not find the next hole.

Patapsco picnic rounds

2-4    9/18/2011   9/19/2011
Review By: LukeButch
Pros: great terrain, rolling hills and woods with some open holes. mostly par 4 holes from long tees- green baskets. 2 baskets every hole. Awesome variety of shots off the tee and upshots.
Cons: too many par 3.5 holes forcing short drives to set up 2nd shot, with no risk/reward option.
Other Thoughts: wish they opened up some of the wooded holes slightly so the tweener holes would be closer to tough par 3s than easy par 4s

great course

5+    10/25/2010   2/27/2011
Review By: aDedhed
Pros: potapsco is a very long technical course that i love to go to. it challenges me everytime i go, well it wants me to type more so im just gonna say LOVE POTAPSCO!!!
Cons: all the trees i hit at potapsco. but i always seem to hit trees. all kinds of trees that is :)

Challenging

5+    10/21/2008   8/8/2009
Review By: GroundHog
Pros: Lovely setting.
Black walnuts available for the gathering in season.
Parking convenient to midpoint & end of course.
Cons: Used to be, one could get in free on weekdays.
Disc loss potential.
Certainly a compromise could be reached for widening the mowing of high grass; perhaps a a few more meters on either side of the pertinent fairways at an in-between growth height.
Watch your step for stumplets in some spots. .
Other Thoughts: Pin location of Hole 18 can be scouted when driving Hole 10.

Will be great

1    7/22/2009   7/22/2009
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: Great holes with lots of variety. Good use of elevation, tress, rocks, creeks, and everything else they could squeeze in. Woods and open fairways. Some holes that are real challenging. Bad shots can cost you.
Cons: New pads under construction. Needs signs to navigate course. Layout is a little tricky. Some holes cross each other and some backtracking required to find next hole. Back nine has a couple straight boring holes. They could use a hazard or tree to make the shot tougher. Some baskets are hard to see. Maybe something bright on basket would make it easier to see.
Other Thoughts: When new pads are done this course is easily a 4. Put some signs up and tweak a few holes and it's as good as it gets. A must play if you are in MD. Play Seneca and Rockburn also and you couldn't ask for a better day.

Great course: Tough but Fair

1    5/22/2009   5/26/2009
Review By: BeauRoch
Pros: Great layout. Good mixture of shots needed to play this course.
Cons: Signs or arrows to next tee box are needed as well as a more accurate course map.
Other Thoughts: Loved playing the course but found it frustrating when getting to the next tee box wasn't obvious and worse was trying to find the basket to throw to.

punisher

2-4    5/21/2009   5/22/2009
Review By: brian j
Pros: very technical course with a great layout. most of the holes are in the woods and require you to hit your lines. the designer did a great job of utilizing all the elevation changes in the park.

multiple tee and pin positions for each hole. when i played all even holes where in the short pin position and all the odds were in the long position. and when the say long they mean loooooong.

the park is also very well maintained. the field holes were mowed and i don't think i saw any poison ivy which is a miracle in the mid-atlantic area in may.
Cons: as has already been mentioned concrete or flypads would be nice. i didn't encounter any mud but the tees are starting to get depressions near the front. also there is very little signage and some sort of direction to the next tee is needed. i almost quit trying to find hole 11 my first time through.
Other Thoughts: patapsco hosts a tournament called the patapsco punisher and i can see why the call it that. with better teepads and some signs this course would easly rank 4 discs. add another 9 holes (there appears to be plenty of room) and it would easly be a 5.