Colorado Springs, CO
Cottonwood Creek Park Share
Uploaded By: DGtourist Hole #11

I'd rather be @ Cottonwood than Hollywood!

5+    7/15/2009   7/17/2009
Review By: SeanMeacham
Pros: The Pros definitely outweigh the cons on this course. I love the different feel and layout you get with different groupings of holes. Holes 1 you are throwing from top of a rock face down to a basket tucked away in the trees (depending on the ever changing pin positions). Holes 1-3 are challenging as you have to weave your way around trees and sometimes the long grass.....if your disc goes rouge. Holes 4-7 are played along the river (sometimes stream depending on the rainfall) and offer a mix of short to medium throws. Hole 9 is a nice long uphill throw back to the top of the plateau...great for a good rip! The back nine here is my favorite part of the course. You have the chance to use every shot in your bag because of all the variance. Especially because of all the hard work that goes into changing the baskets. You start hole 10 with a long huck that has to maneuver through a gap about 30 feet wide, with the basket either in the middle of the field or long...under a tree (par on this hole location feels great!). As you wind your way through the back nine you have a spectacular view of Pike's Peak...which is always nice to look at after a bad shot and remind yourself to relax. I find it hard to list all of the pros of this course, but going back to the basket placements is high on my list. I don't know who is always out changing them, but amazing job! There are at least three different locations on every hole, with many new locations sprouting up as the summer months pass. This is part of the reason I love playing here so much! You come out one day and get a totally different course the next...kudos to the guys that take care of the placements.
Cons: I hate to list the cons because I love this course so much. With that said....ALL OF THE PEOPLE ALL OF THE TIME and most of the people out, are in groups of 8 and really stink! When you have a group over 4, look around and see if you are holding the course up and let groups play through! You would be amazed how many people out here don't understand this concept. THROW YOUR TRASH AWAY, AND STOP BREAKING YOUR GLASS BOTTLES EVERYWHERE! Having a dog that I love to bring discing, this course is dangerous due to all of the broken bottles from the misled youth. Another con...is all of the holes seem to criss cross each other....so keep your head on a swivel!
Other Thoughts: There is a great disc vendor named Kurt who is just off hole 1 most days. Super nice guy and has a great variety of plastic. He also sells beverages if need be. I always try and buy any new disc from him...and if he doesn't have what you are looking for, he will normally get it for you within the week!

Had A Great Time

1    4/25/2009   4/30/2009
Review By: Roller Coasters
Pros: This is a very accessible and popular course, judging by the day I was there. It is has concrete tees that are trapezoidal shaped. I haven't seen this tee box design and thought it was a nice change of pace. You know that you are in for a great hike in the park when the basket for the first hole is at least 30 feet lower than the tee. The elevation changes continue throughout the course and are a welcome change of pace from our very flat south Florida courses. I also appreciated the tee signs. There are at least 3 pin positions for every hole on the course and some have 4. Each tee sign had a sticker on the current position. This made it very easy to find the pins and navigate the course for a first time player. I also appreciated that terrain that appears to be grassless. It was a very different look and feel to the course. There is a good variety of tee shots, from let er rip to tight and technical.
Cons: Many of the tee signs were weathered and appeared to have the top layer peeled off. You could still read the shadow of the original sign, but as these age, it is going to be difficult to make them out. The course was busy on the Saturday afternoon that we were there. The back nine does tend to have traffic issues as hole cross over each other. It wasn't that big of an issue for me, but if it were any more crowded, It could definitely slow down play.
Other Thoughts: This was my second course that I got to play in Colorado Springs and I really enjoyed it. I loved the variety of shots and the elevation changes throughout the course. I had a lot of fun playing this course and wish I was able to get this kind of disc golf experience much more often.

Worth Playing

1    3/17/2009   3/18/2009
Review By: InfiniteSight
Pros: Decent variety of shots come into play. Multiple pin placements that change often. Ace potential on several holes with the occational crusher. Some elevation changes but mostly throwing down hill. Good amount of trees with room for routes to throw through.
Cons: Tee pad length varies through out the course. Some are nice and long others are really short. Can get crowded with crossfire action on every hole, so keep you head up.
Other Thoughts: Bring some hiking shoes because there is some up and down hill walking. Park on the street because there isn't a parking lot. Watch for walkers along the path by holes 4-7. The rocks along the drop off of 4-7 are OB, so throw something stable. The tee signs mark pin placement but print a course map out, it will come in handy.

not a big fan

1    3/7/2009   3/18/2009
Review By: logansal
Pros: A few challenging holes with elevation changes and tree obstructions.
Cons: run down. This course just seemed dirty to me. Lots of graffiti and trash. Did not seem like anybody has put in much time there cleaning it. (I'm sorry if someone has been working there). There was a ton of people when I went on a Saturday, and a few groups of teenage kids just sitting around and hanging out not playing disc golf.
Other Thoughts: I would probably go back just because it's so close to lots of other cool stuff to do.

short course with nice views

2-4    1/5/2009   3/9/2009
Review By: wolito
This review was updated on 10/14/2009
Pros: A different feel than the other courses in the area. Short trees/shrubs and no grass give it it's unique feel. Some nice tight shots that test your skills and some short holes that have ace potential. I enjoy some of the blind throws that you have to make. Challenging to all aspects of your game with a variety of throws required.
Cons: Yet another course with poor signage and flow. Do cities just fund courses at first and then let them go? Most signs are gone or difficult to read leaving you guessing where to throw or find the next hole. Can be very busy at times. Some of the fairways are very close together and there is a definate risk of throwing close to others, watch your discs. Perhaps it would be better to play when it is less busy. Baskets were pretty worn the last time I played.
Other Thoughts: A fun little course. A good course to meet people, throw some discs and have a good time. Update the signage and put in some new baskets and you would have a "classic" course feel.

Cottonwood Creek

5+    1/2/2009   1/10/2009
Review By: J.Kasm
Pros: During the summer, there is a healthy amount of shrubs and trees that provide excellent obstacles. The pin placement seems to change every couple of months or so, changing the courses difficulty. So, one day it may be too easy for those who have been playing a long time, while making it easier to master for newer players like myself. There are several holes that could be a par 4, such as Hole #3 and Hole# 16 (I think). Another reason that makes this course a 4 is its accessability. It's in the middle of the Springs and easy to find.
Cons: During the winter months, this course can become very, very muddy and wet. It recesses in a small ravine. Hole #2 tees off over a small swamp-like puddle of tall grass and mud. I've seen several discs disappear in this part of the coarse, so be careful if you play during the winter months or after a down-pour. The same applies to Holes # 15-17. They are in a seperate section of the course, but can become quite the mud-puddle as well.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this is a fun course. The only other issue is the accessibility to the course allows a diverse amount of disc golf players. My friends and I have been interrupted on different occassions by other players playing through our game without permission/warning. This is a great course, but beware of players that give no regard to either rules or other players. I only mention this issue because it's happened more than once on several occassions. I'll try and get some pictures and post them when I can.

One and Done

1    4/2/2003   1/3/2009
Review By: ddevine
Pros: Decent variety, open and relatively tight fairways, good disc control required. Great views of Pike's Peak, some elevation and length.
Cons: Crowded the day I was there, and not particularly fun for my younger daughter. We never went back.
Other Thoughts: I had heard so much about Cottonwood, but was disappointed. I though Widefield was much better, especially before they cut down all the trees on the back 9.

Quality

2-4    6/4/2008   11/4/2008
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: I just love when a course is able to have a natural (non-park) setting yet still be close to a park just in case nature calls. This course is great! It has mature tress all around and multiple pin placements and yet is open enough to be creative with your shot selection. Cottonwood also has good teeboxes and signs.

Cottonwood Creek has elevation changes, very little undergrowth and the layout is just cramped enough to be able to get in 18 without feeling like you've hiked to the next town. At the same time not so compact that you are chucking into other groups. It's a decent little gem that sits in two moderately wooded basins. I played a good round with a couple of birds and mostly threes. I had a good time there. I wish I was playing there as I write this.
Cons: I had to do a few scouting walks to see what I was throwing into but it never slowed play and the scouting missions are well worth it. I got turned around looking for a teebox and a basket or two. I suspect that the dirt can be muddy after rain, due to a lack of grass. Not having grass in my opinion is a pro, but I can imagine it beating up cheaper plastics. You have to park on the street. If you are like me and are allergic to cottonwoods, you might want to look up the danger before you enter.
Other Thoughts: This is a quality course, a must for anyone passing through the Springs. There is no chance that I will go through the Springs without playing here, none. I just noticed there are no photos of this place, well, there are now.

Not much of a grass there...

9/25/2006   7/5/2008
Review By: DeafDiscGolfer
Pros: Nice simple course to play for general players alike. Yes, some holes are too hard for beginners but good enough for pros to try to make some deuces. Haven't seen much grasses anywhere but mostly dry dirts. Easy to find discs if you are paying attention to your throwing.
Cons: Need to have local players to help you out. No tee signs or direction to next tees. Course map aren't too clear to know where the tees and baskets are at. Finding a place to park is silly. Have to park on side of the street. Sometimes the street get crowed due to soccer games right next to the course.
Other Thoughts: Its not much of a big challenge course for pros but nice to check out if you are in the area. Bit of too much thin air for me (coming from northeast) due to high altitude in Colorado Springs, make sure to drink often when playing. You will get dry-mouthed if you don't.

You Couldn't Handle the Creek!

4/15/2000   3/30/2008
Review By: weum107
Pros: Lots of nice elevation changes, long and short holes as well, and a massive wash for an O.B. on north end.
Cons: Some seriously long holes stand out here. Pro par of 3 a piece is a tough row to hoe due to a few of these mammoths. I suffered a neck injury that knocked me out for weeks while trying to exceed 500 ft with my drive on hole 9. A par of 3 on this hole feels like a birdie - it takes 2 long, perfect drives and a nice putt.
Other Thoughts: Fun course that I first learned on in 1996. Some great holes long and short. Several pin placements, a large layout and some exciting annual tournaments make this a very active local course. Won't ever forget you, Cottonwood! Thanks for the memories!