Chandler, AZ
Mesquite Grove DGC Share
Uploaded By: JNichols Hole #17 (Taken 4/2019)

Unique for the Area

5+    11/26/2016   11/26/2016
Review By: CabMakio
Pros: Lots of challenging and blind shots that force you to take interesting lines that you wouldn't need at most of the other local courses. Iv'e played here 10-15 times and only once have I seen anyone else. I usually end up here on the weekends when I go to Paseo first and see it's packed. As someone who is not an Arizona native, I like the environment of the course, it isn't pretty, but as soon as you walk through the gate you feel like you're in a completely different environment.
Cons: Many of the baskets are in bad shape. The tee signs seem inaccurate. The first few times I played, I would run ahead on the blind holes and look for the basket before I threw. The baskets were often in completely different spots than I had imagined by looking at the signs, sometimes 100+ feet in the other direction than I thought. It is also sometimes tough to find the next basket before you learn the course. It took me 3-4 times of playing before I found the 18th tee.

As others have said, there is a very good chance you'll leave this course with scratches. I have thrown discs 3-4 feet into the mesquite trees that still took me 15+ minutes to dig out despite being in arm's reach, some discs I almost gave up on even though the disc was in plain view. Having said that, I've always brought home all my discs as well as the cuts to prove it.
Other Thoughts: The course is very different from the other local options. I love playing Paseo, Freestone, Emerald, and Vista, but they all feel like throwing straight to the basket without much in the way for the most part. That is not the case here, you'll be forced to throw down tight fairways, over trees into small gaps etc and you'll be punished heavily when things go wrong, this isn't my favorite course by any means, but when I'm in the mood for it, it's great.

I spoke to someone who said whoever is looking after the course is slowly replacing the baskets and signs. I played today and noticed a couple new baskets and signs so the rumor seems to be true though I get the impression it could be a while before all baskets/signs are replaced.

I wouldn't recommend this course if you only have time to play once in Phoenix, but if you live reasonably close you should give it a try.

Good Course

2-4    4/10/2012   5/9/2012
Review By: mcbmaz
Pros: Many blind shots make it a little difficult. Signage is good. Easy to navigate. Porta-John at entrance.
Cons: Baskets are a little beat up. Digging discs out of mesquite trees full of thorns.
Other Thoughts: Good course if you don't want to deal with many people. The most I have seen out there was 4 people and that was including me and my buddy. Overall I gave it a 3 because it serves its purpose, not a pretty course, but not horrible either. I am sue that if you head out you will have fun.

worth a try if in the area

2-4    6/27/2009   7/10/2009
Review By: AusTexDoc
Pros: Mostly good signs with very helpful next tee arrows. Plays fast and hard to lose a disc. Lots of opportunities to make your own variation. Signs are pretty accurate (one or two are missing and one hole was a lot longer than listed)- but you can pretty much look at the sign throw the distance it shows and look for your disc near the basket. Good birdie course. More character than a park with a few tress.
Cons: Flat, but not as ugly as the photos look. I never saw a soul. If you had multiple groups, the course would be a little hazardous. After a while, I could get bored here easily.
Other Thoughts: I almost skipped this course due to low level reviews. I actually enjoyed this course as much as the park 18 hole courses up north.

Desert Courses Are Cool

5+    3/8/2008   3/9/2009
Review By: pokamitch
This review was updated on 4/29/2010
Pros: Never crowded. Easy to keep an eye on your throws (only a few blinds).
All tees are level (the whole course is). Ingenius use of the holes for a back 9. It isn't like playing backwards.
Never muddy or flooded after rains (it is a desert course!!), so it is always ready for some use when the park courses (that are essentially water retention basins for the flash floods you get in the desert monsoons) are flooded/ muddy. Great use of the land.
The High School kids never interfere with your game (course is next to Basha High). Excellent signage that really give a good visualization of the hole.
The area is Disc Golf Exclusive!! The only porta potty there is always clean. Holes are in good condition
Decent mix of holes, only a few long ones, but still a decent variety
Cons: Most holes are too wide open. Not as challenging as I like. Used a lot of hyzers/ hooks, over and over. Way to far out of town. It is as far southeast as you can get in Maricopa County.
Other Thoughts: A MUST PLAY COURSE IN MARICOPA COUNTY!!!!

THIS IS A DESERT COURSE!!!! In most deserts you have a flat, hard pan (sand/ rocks, not dirt) WITHOUT grass and ground cover (although in the spring, the whole place gets a bunch of ground cover that you can lose your disc in easily if it ain't a bright color)...Thorny trees, bushes, and cacti. Play the course as it is, and APPRECIATE an alternate to the "Park Courses" we are used to.

Bring something to hydrate. No water available, It Gets Hot As Hell(100-120 F)!!! May thru Oct.

Favorite Holes: #14. Pretty open from the tee, then gets tight at the hole. There is a Lil window that I can get a wild S-turn thru LHBH. Trips the crew out everytime I get thru