Colonial Heights, VA
Pharaoh's Tomb Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #13 (Taken 4/2009)
3 / 164ft.   3 / 224ft.   3 / 191ft.   3 / 224ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #13 Object

< Prev 1 2 3
Good mix of wooded and open

1    1/18/2019   1/18/2019
Review By: jjc628y
Pros: This course is very scenic and plays well. There is a multitude of shots to make to include ravines, up and down hill. Many creaks to play over but none are deep.
Cons: Hole 1 is in a wierd spot it took me awhile to find it since I missed it coming in. A few holes cross each other and cross common areas.
Other Thoughts: This is a good scenic course and I truly enjoyed playing. I will play again before i leave the area.

Sweet confusion

1    10/17/2018   10/17/2018
Review By: mshelton
Pros: Some really nice holes
Well maintained park
Restrooms and water
Scenic river view
Teepads and baskets in good shape
Good signage
Cons: Mixed use area and holes can become blocked with other park goers
Navigation for a first or second time player can be questionable at best
Some baskets and tees are a little jumbled together
Kind of in a out of they way location
Other Thoughts: Game has been in a funk lately so I decided to try a change of scenery and being that this course 40min away and I've never played here seemed like a good enough reason to check it out.

Unfortunately the park is in a goofy location, I'm not knocking it but it's in the hairpin bend of a river and there's one way in and one way out, so it's stop in on the way through kind of spot. That being said, I think it's a worthwhile destination.

The course plays in and out of the woods and open areas of the park. You'll pass hole #1 and the kiosk on the way in to the parking area. Holes are pretty straightforward, not bad but no real risk/reward type lines short of going for the ace on 15. The holes aren't bad by any means, they do require a lot of shot shaping, seems to be a few more left to right than right to left holes. Nothing here requires or really benefits from a cannon arm though outside the obvious of being able to throw a putter where others go driver.

Navigation can be confusing and frustrating for first time players. There are inevitably some holes that you will miss the first time you play, 3 and 13 seem to be the obvious ones, you'll look down at your scoring app or card or just feel like you didn't play 18 at the end, chances are it'll be one of those 2, they are easy to miss. There's a map at the kiosk by #1, take a picture of it or use the one from this site here, it'll come in handy. The course uses what seems like every square foot that it was allowed to use, the trade off for this jumble is that the holes are, well, good so it's worth it.

Otherwise, it's a pretty nice course, I wish it was a little more convenient for me to get to because I would play it more than some of the closer ones to me, would actually prefer to have it over some of the local ones as it really is a good mix of shots, shapes and technicality. If you're wanting to check it out and have a chance to do so during the week then it may work out better for you as it looks like it could get a little contentious with non discgolfers on the weekends.

A Nice Challenge

1    6/2/2018   6/2/2018
Review By: mike3216
Pros: Nice mix of holes. Mostly tight and wooded, with just a few open-field smashes. Water is not in play (other than a tiny hazard stream on hole 1).
I have been playing for three years, and this course is at the edge of my abilities. You need to be able to work your shot shape. I recently added the putter turnover shot to my arsenal, and I made good use of it here. FYI, we played from the white concrete pads.
There are at least four par 3s on the course that probably should be par 4s. There might be some "local" lines, but I doubt many locals would reach these either. One hole in particular would require a 375 foot sky-high lefty hyzer, and you would still have to crash the trees and get a little luck. Par is just a number though, so I'm not dinging the course for that. Signage and navigation are good, with only a couple of spots that are a bit confusing.

There is a water point next to each of the picnic pavillions.

Cons: Bring hardcore (deet) bug spray. The biting flies and mosquitoes are aggressive and plentiful. My playing partner brought some non-deet organic bug spray, and it hardly slowed them down. That being said, bugs don't seem to like me, and I went the first 12 holes with no spray and no bug bites, but the biting flies were buzzing around my head constantly. Distracting.

This is truly a mixed use course. Many of the holes weave in and out of picnic areas. We visited on a weekday morning, and it was (awesomely) deserted. We were the only disc golfers. I wouldn't even consider playing this on a Saturday afternoon.
Other Thoughts: I'd play here again. I think it would be a nice option in the winter, which might provide a few more lines and a few less flies.

There seems to be a healthy population of feral cats here. They are unhelpful, though, and refuse to aid you in finding a lost disc.

Great course, but can eat you alive

5+    9/10/2016   10/12/2016
Review By: jsemales
Pros: This is a really well balanced course with a great mix of open throws and a very pleasant walk through the woods. The course requires every shot in your arsenal with a few mandos thrown in to mess your plan up.
Cons: It's not particularly beginner friendly, but it's not impossible. It's a good place for newer players to see what a real course will bring to the table. It's not forgiving, don't end up in the woods or you'll find yourself begging for daylight.
Other Thoughts: Bring bug spray and don't play if it's recently rained hard.

Fun Course

1    3/14/2016   3/14/2016
Review By: FM-hack64
Pros: I have been playing for 2 years. For me this coarse provided a good challenge with a variety of wooded and open holes. At first it looked like it would be a short coarse, but found it to have a good mix of long and short holes. Very glad I took the time to find and play it on my visit from the Charlotte area. I would definitely recommend it to people visiting the area.
Cons: First hole is a little rough.
Other Thoughts: Fun coarse. If you haven't play Pharoah's Tomb, put it on your play list.

Fun course

1    5/4/2015   5/4/2015
Review By: DGPete
Pros: I'm assuming a lot of improvements have happened in the last year or so.

Every hole had at least one concrete tee. Multiple other tees for beginners. We went on the first warm day in may, so sometimes we needed to use the other tees to avoid pedestrians.

Great signage on every hole. Never got lost, always knew where to throw.

Excellent use of elevation on several holes.

Clean park with plenty of benches, bathrooms, and things for the family to do.

I love that this course never felt repetitive, every hole made you think. I ended up using just about every disc in my bag.

Holes 1-3 made me nervous that It was going to be a bad course: short holes, long grass, and mud, however those were really the only holes like that.

Looking back at the course I can see that maybe it lacked more long distance holes, but as I was playing it, I didn't feel likes it was missing anything, and I'm the first person that loves a good grip it and rip it hole.

I like cats so seeing a few were fine by me.
Cons: As much as I loved this course, the only major con I have is one that would keep me from coming back again. You constantly were playing through highly populated locations. We there on probably an unusually busy day, there was some sort of big BBQ happening as we were getting to the back 9, so people were just everywhere. Even if the course just had your average weekend park goers, you were throwing 50-100 feet of parking lots, walkways, playground, volleyball, bathrooms, picnic areas, bridges, streets, and other tee pads. Since there are some blind spots, you wouldn't see someone walking around some bends that come right through your fairway.
I few "watch for flying disc" signs or something similar would at least help.
Other Thoughts: I would love to have this course close to where I live, seems like the perfect neighborhood park. This course would be awesome in the colder weather, less foliage and people would make this a an even more fun course.

Date: 11/4/2015 Designer Response by: gottafixit
While there may be some times of the day or even seasons that you might have to share the park with others there are other times and seasons where the disc golfers are the only ones there. If you can bare the cold late fall and winter are great times to play the course.

1    5/18/2014   6/28/2014
Review By: knoxstephen5
Pros: Fun course, easy to find, and well marked. Good variety of open holes, woods , and dog legs. It is not a long course so there is good chances for an ace, which i kinda like. Good signs,not hard to follow, and located in a nice park. We did not see a single cat while we were there as others have described. The gorge hole was fun although the tee area is sketchy.
Cons: Not a whole lot of negative here. There were a couple of holes that were near a lot of people(we were there on a Sunday) and i had to yell at a little kid from about 200 feet away because he picked up my girlfriends disc after she threw.
Other Thoughts: Overall a nice course and park. Bathrooms and picnic areas were available and the golf course was not crowded. We will be back.

Fun park course

2-4    6/17/2014   6/17/2014
Review By: Pxranger
Pros: - Nice newer baskets that had painted indicators as to which direction the next hole was.
- Great signage on every hole
- Scorecards and 81/2 x 11 maps were available at the kiosk near hole #1
- plenty of benches and trashcans
- 3 tees for each hole
- over half of the long tees had concrete tee pads, the ones that didn't were formed for what must be imminent concrete pourings.
- well groomed and maintained course.
- nice variety of shots, anhyzer/flick, tunnel, etc. including a nice shot over a deep gorge on 15.
- Great use of terrain for a small city park.
- Alternate "Safari Golf" maps were available that added some much needed length to the course.
Cons: The majority of the holes were on the short side (just near or under 300'). I am a newer player and had no problem shooting sub par rounds, so the difficulty was not there for me.

I really don't have a lot of bad things to say that stuck out, While this was not a great course, it was not a bad course, it just lacked distance and variety

Some of the concrete tee pads were on the short side for me, maybe I am spoiled, but I am used to much longer tee pads.
Other Thoughts: As another poster commented, there were about a dozen cats greeting me near the parking lot, kinda weird. If you are anywhere near the Fort Lee area definitely check this course out.

As city park courses go this is in my top 10. It was evident that a lot of care goes into maintaining this course.

I was torn on where to rate this course, I felt that a 3 wouldn't be enough, but a 4 seemed too high as it does not compare to some other city park funded courses I have played in Des Moines and Kansas City. I would have gave it a 3.75 if it were an option, but 3.5 seems a good fit.

awesome

5+    11/11/2013   11/11/2013
Review By: rockethound
Pros: Fun and challenging course love playing thru the woods. I live not far from there so its very close to me .
Cons: Cats everywhere !!! Would like to see them removed. But colonial hieghts don't respond to stray cat call .
Other Thoughts: Wish they would make another park behind Walmart .really nice park next to scenic river.

Date: 4/4/2014 Designer Response by: gottafixit
I have talked to Parks and Rec about the park behind walmart and have scouted the land. Could make for at least a 9 hole. If any one else is local and would like to see more disc golf get involve and reach out to parks and rec and let them know.

Not Horrible...

1    2/9/2013   2/24/2013
Review By: zewski12
Pros: -There are definitely some fun holes.
-Located in a nice park.
-You can take your time here because no one was there playing the course.
Cons: -No Signage!
-Very difficult to navigate.
-Plays into a park where kids are walking around and families are picnicking. (played in the winter so this wasn't much of an issue but kids were still running around).
-Swampy area, couple be better in the summer months.
Other Thoughts: I don't see myself going back there. Some fun holes but nothing out of the ordinary. there are definitely better options in the area.

The biggest thing that bothered me was how difficult it was to navigate. There is Zero signage and no course map at all to help you. the only way you know what hole your on is to look at the 4x4 in the ground that the number is painted on but even this was faded.

Date: 5/8/2014 Designer Response by: gottafixit
I apologize for the lack of maps in the box. I do try to keep up with filling it but sometimes it goes with out. The Links/Files tab has all the maps should the course map box currently be out. Parks and rec started the long set of concrete tees last year and once complete this spring they will be installing the course signage as well.

Edit: All Tee Signs have been in for a while, the remaining concrete tees on the longs should be finished this spring/summer.

< Prev 1 2 3