Hood River, OR
Hood River DGC Share
Uploaded By: Discette Hole #8 (Taken 12/2013)

Share URL:

1 2 Next >
 Improved but not perfect

5+    1/19/2011   1/24/2011
Review By: Dan-hyzer
Pros: The Poison Oak is all removed! This is by far the best improvement. It makes it a nice pitch and putt course. It's difficult now to lose your disc. You can still do it if you lose your focus but I haven't lost one there and regularly play there.
Cons: Short course.
Other Thoughts: I've been playing this with another DGCR'er, "Huck Plastic" and we're starting to identify alternate tee spots to make the course longer.

For instance, trying playing the first round as a "front nine" from all the normal tees, then make the following changes on your second time through shoot at the same baskets in the same order, just use these tee adjustments.

1. Normal tee
2. Alternate tee not found yet so use normal but we're looking for another spot.
3. Use teebox for number 7 but shoot to number 3 basket.
4. walk straight back from the normal number 4 tee. As you walk west, you'll start to come out in to the open field. Keep looking on the ground and two stones will be there in a very coincidental position and they'll look like tee markers. This gives you a Hyzer route or anhyzer route.
5. Use Normal tee. Try a tomahawk over the low oaks.
6. Use the tee spot for number three but shoot towards number 6.

7. Still looking but perhaps use the number three tee and shoot towards 7.

8. Thinking about using number 6 tee box and shooting at the number 8 basket. Untested yet.

9. Use the number 8 or number 7 tee area and shoot towards basket 9.

Feedback on these alternate tee pads is welcome, send me a PM!

Don't Attempt To Play This Course Alone!

1    6/25/2010   6/29/2010
Pros: Hood River DGC sits in a small (maybe 3 acre) extremely rugged park across the street from a skateboard park. There were about 50 kids skating while I had the park to myself. I sensed some kind of weird vibe from this. Stepping up to hole one, there is a sign pointing down and saying, "This is poison oak. Please don't remove this." And then naturally, there is nothing there so walking through the rest of the course I'm paranoid about stepping into poison oak.

Hole # 1 is listed at 220' to a blind basket. I consider skipping it due to the risk/reward of hunting for my disc in these poison oak infested roughs. But I throw a couple of overly cautious short lay ups finally finding the basket.

# 2. This hole is 420' into the Bermuda Triangle of lost discsville. I call this a NFW hole. Meaning there's No F- - - - - - Way I'm risking it.

# 3. I wander for a while and finally find the basket I just skipped and the # 3 teepad. It's short and almost safe.

#4 teepad was back with the #2 pad so you have to backtrack to get back to it. #4 is also a NFW hole.

So now I walk back to the pad where both # 3 and # 5 tee off from. By the way, this pad is about 50 feet from I-84. Cars are whizzing by at a 100 miles an hour right next to you. I think I might be clipped by one while in the middle of my back swing. But # 5 is a playable little hole.

# 6 is a short 179' little hyser shot.

# 7 Another NFW hole. I estimate needing five spotters minimum before playing this hole.

# 8 is 173' to a basket so buried that it qualifies as a NFW hole. Probably the shortest NFW hole in America.

# 9 Plays back towards the skateboard park, I think. It's another major NFW hole. The only route I saw was throwing along the street and then sending explorers to find the basket.

On the plus side, lately someone has actually done some mowing or weed-wacking on the course. Probably the FBI looking for bodies.

Cons: Holes will here by be referred to by the PDGA and DGCR recommended number of spotters needed formula (RNOSNF) or by the more familiar RNOSNF. Pronounced Rhino-SNFFF.

Hole 1 - 1-2 spotters recommended
Hole 7 - 4-5
Hole 8 - 3-5
Hole 9 - 4 plus
Other Thoughts: My advice here consists of two options:

Option # 1. With Parks department approval, Using park approved heavy machinery, cut, clear and trim about 90% of the underbrush. Leave baskets where they currently are.

Option # 2. Move every basket closer so that every basket is visible from pad. This would probably leave you with a course with no hole longer than 100 feet. A virtual disc golf pitch and putt course. But that would be much improved over the current inpervious thickety design.

This course is terrible

2-4    5/4/2010   5/4/2010
Review By: cyamasaki
Pros: Nice baskets. Nice skate park across the street. Seriously, even if you don't skate, you're better off going there than this course.
Cons: OK so the area is small, but what really makes this course terrible is the design. There is definitely enough room to make a decent course out of this place. Pins are very close together in some spots, Pin placement is ridiculous, and the maps aren't even close in most cases. Terrible, Terrible design to whoever is responsible.
Other Thoughts: This is the first course I have played that I can honestly say I will never come back to. I had to write this review just in case someone will read it and not have to go through what I did. DO NOT PLAY THIS COURSE.

try a control game and good luck with par on this little one.

5+    9/28/2009   9/29/2009
Review By: k2trcs
Pros: -In HR.
-high quality Mach Vs: practice anyone?
-never busy
Cons: -small space: < 4.5 acres for 9 holes
-difficult layout: some serious backtracking req'd
-minimally maintained, much dry brush.
-some Poison Oak here and there: Be vigilant.
-skater trash
Other Thoughts: -I highly recommend playing this course with slow, control discs. I play with avairs only here.
-Aim for the well-traveled short grass and keep the fun up.
-Many of the holes are really par 4s: #1,#2,#5,#7
-Play #9 from the corner of the park road where some gravel sits...not from back by the tee where you would have to throw up the road. Then you get a short RHBH hyzer fairway shot like is depicted on the Tee sign.
-Feel free to hate this far-from-standard-design while you bogey hole after hole. Once you shoot par here suggest a constructive redesign or travel to North Bonneville or The Dalles. ;)

Worst course Iíve ever played

1    9/13/2009   9/15/2009
Review By: sweetman
Pros: it's in Hood River, brand new pins, a few nice trees to make it interesting
Cons: Very short, full of scrub brush, under brush, thistles, black berry bushes.
Quite a few blind shots

Other Thoughts: They need to dig up the pins and move them to a park

a Short 9

5+    8/11/2010   9/13/2009
Review By: Uhlman
This review was updated on 8/24/2010
Pros: A gerat place to work on your midrange and putting skills. This course now offers at least 9 great technical midrange shots.
Cons: This course is short; you could do this course now with only a putter if you wanted. However, I would recommend that you take your "bread and butter" midrange and a putter.
There is a poison oak issue, and a lot of it on the fairways and trails is marked (so it can be sprayed) but still need to be careful while in the rough.
The park is near the freeway and the car noise can be loud on busy days.
The walk out between 8 and 9 is really close to the fairway for 8 but at least you are looking the direction the discs will be coming.
Other Thoughts: This course's layout was recently changed to a pitch and put style course. It is still rough in places but a lot more playable than the previous layout. With the help of some local and not so local golfers, this course is shaping up nicely. My rating of this course remains the same

1    7/24/2009   7/25/2009
Review By: runnaman
Pros:
- The baskets where good and well maintained.
- There were signs at every hole with distance and par marked.
Cons:
- The holes were absolutely rediculous. Twice, I had to throw blindly over huge trees.
- The maps weren't much help so I had to walk down every hole to see where I was throwing.
- When searching for the 4th hole basket I stopped and realized I could see 4 baskets all within 50 feet of each other. The area is simply too small and cluttered for a course.
I'm glad that they tried to bring disc golf to hood river (seeing that the next closest one is ~15 miles away), but I really hope someone realizes that this course is not helping anyone and relocate somewhere better.

could be worse?!

5+    8/25/2010   12/11/2008
Review By: kinfolkfan
This review was updated on 8/25/2010
Pros: This course is the only course in the town of Hood River. It has very nice pro level baskets. The signage is fairly helpful. Its a good place for me to stop after work and practice my up shots and putting. The skate park next door is very nice if you skate.
That being said...
Cons: To start there is a good deal of poison oak which the P and R dept are trying to remedy as we review. To stick with the vegetation the black berries are fairly abundant. The rough has been cleared a bit more recently but still requires work. All holes are rather short which compared to old lay out may be a good thing. The walk between 4 and 5 is a bit confusing to find for a first timer, as well as 5/6 and 7/8. Once again ,in my opinion,a slight improvement on the old course walks. The walk out from 9 is a bit excessive and, as the person who designed most of this new lay out, was not my idea... But you can still play old number 7 and the walk out is not so bad and you get a extra hole, just use spotters if you decide to do so. We seem to have a extreme amount of garbage in the park and I don't really believe it is from disc golfers, but we could use some trash cans on the property so we can help pick it up.
Other Thoughts: Hope this slightly easier layout will welcome new comers to the sport instead of scaring them away. If anyone would like a guide on the course or a friendly round please feel free to PM me. Contact Hood River Parks and Rec. if you would be interested in sponsoring a hole or donating some time. Hopefully we can grow a community of DG'ers outta this little piece of land.

Too Small

5/3/2008   5/5/2008
Review By: kevin
Pros: Not much to report.
There is a neat skateboard park across the street.
Cons: Small area, not worthy of a disk golf course.
There are streets all around the outside of the course including the highway. Most shots cross in the middle, but when you miss you could loose a disc into a car. The park is not groomed for the course.
Other Thoughts: Did not like.

1 2 Next >