Atlanta, GA
Perkerson Park Share
Uploaded By: JSurmann Hole #1 (Taken 7/2014)
Hole #1 Red Tee Sign

< Prev 1 2 3 4
diamond in the rough

1    7/12/2018   7/12/2018
Review By: blake833
Pros: I was not expecting much from a neighborhood course just outside downtown Atlanta, but Perkerson Park delivers. After a while of being really pleasantly surprised by each hole, I finally took a closer look at the tee signs and was not surprised to see Houckdesign's logo on it. Let me tell you, on this course- he out did himself.

The park has ample elevation and it come into play almost every hole, but never abuses it. I hate the "throw up/down the hill" holes that make you trudge along hating walking uphill. But none of these were that. The terrain was always interestingly engaged, and competitively strategized.

None of the holes are repetitive, but even better: so many stick out as being great. One of my particularly favorite holes was 14's "Foxhole," a gentle left-right downhill (there's a LHBH line, but i'm not LH). Some holes are lightly wooded field holes, and some through the forest, but the woods holes don't have punishing rough, and unless you land waaaayyyy down the slope, or in a creek, you can still hit par, or birdie with an impressive throw-in.

And just to cover the amenities: two full-size rubber/mulch pads (very grippy, I loved them) on every hole, detailed signage on every hole. Baskets mentioned below. Navigation is pretty easy. There were a couple places I needed to use the map, but just to be safe.
Cons: To start with the small stuff: The baskets are old Titan Gateways. They actually catch really well, but on one a chain has fallen off, some don't stand up straight anymore.

There are two big hang ups for me on giving this course a 4.5 or better: its condition, and the number of pins. Perkerson Park doesn't seem well loved by the locals, so there's trash almost all over the park, and broken glass everywhere. It's truly a shame because if you could just pick up this course and drop it exactly the same somewhere on a prettier, cleaner piece of land, it may even earn a 5.0 here or there, but easily a 4.5. It's probably the best inner city course I've played so far (65ish total courses)

There are also three pin options on every hole, but only one basket. It can be confusing off the tee when you can't see the basket, and on most holes the three options end up being pretty much in the same area anyway so why even bother? Just to throw 10ft farther? 12ft to the left? It's a lot of confusion for very little change.
Other Thoughts: I couldn't believe I was having such a good time playing in a huge, wooded, hilly, park just outside the downtown of a major city. If I was a local, i would still play this course every free afternoon I had. Being in Atlanta, you're also an hour away from Hobb's Farm, two hours from the IDGC, so I think Atlanta may be an under-the-radar disc golf destination.

1    5/10/2018   5/17/2018
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: Perkerson is the only course in a 15-20 mile radius in the heart of Atlanta, and thankfully it is a good one. There are 18 holes that are challenging, but also fair and enjoyable. Tees were fine, baskets solid, and for the most part the tee signs are in pretty good shape. 2 sets of tees to cater to varying skill levels, however the shorts are still tough enough that I would not recommend them to beginners. Multi possible pin placements (sometimes indicated on the tee sign) for those that may play here regularly.

The shots required and the demand of each hole are the courses strong points. There was a good mix of flat with playing both up and down hills. Hole length varies to include a couple holes longer than a par 3. I especially liked the look and feel of the holes utilizing the creek and there are several of them that do.
Cons: Navigation is fine, but I should have taken a map with me. (The color one, map II, on DGCR shows the longer walks pretty well.) But the layout and flow at several spots is not intuitive at all. For example, Hole #1 literally begins in the middle of the course area. I actually started on #7 because I could not find 1 until mid-round. There were a few longer walks that took some time to stop and figure out where to go: 5,12,15, and then 7 could have been hard to find had I not started there. You have to cross 14 to get from 11 to 12, never a great idea. (I actually had to ask a guy walking who happened to know where to go, because your instinct is to not have to cross a hole to get to another.)

My initial thought after the round was it could just use a simple renumbering, but after looking at the map again it is probably already in the most logical setup. Some next tee signage would be super helpful.

There seemed to be a system on the tee signs for telling which pin position was used, but it was only there or correct for some of the holes.

Needed mowed in several spots, so hopefully it gets mowed regularly. #7 could have used a better or more clear path from the top to the bottom through the thick foliage paired with the steep dropoff.

The woods rough in general looks like it could get real thick and unfun in the summer and could easily overtake the fairways if allowed to.

Park location appears to not be in the nicest area of town, but the park itself seemed ok. I encountered no issues, however the area just gave me an uncomfortable feeling that there was some potential to having your vehicle messed with while out on the course.
Other Thoughts: Overall this is not a bad course, definitely in the upper half of courses I have played, and is a great example of what a well done city park course can be with a bit of decent land and allowing it to be used primarily for disc golf. However, I was personally expecting just a little bit more in the way of scenery (based on the DGCR pics) and amenities based the 4.0 rating.

Be advised that traffic in Atlanta is every bit as bad as advertised. Not just rush hour, but all day long. Allow plenty of extra travel time and just be prepared to move slowly if driving.

Great Course! Car break-ins occurring at course...

5+    11/27/2017   11/27/2017
Review By: rootj716
Pros: -challenging but score-able
-beautiful holes
Cons: -tendency to be a bit flooded in sections after rainfall
Other Thoughts: Attention: Cars have been broken into on this course. Mine being one of them. I just want to tell everyone to make them aware if planning on playing. Make sure you park your car near the tennis court instead of by playground and bathroom areas.

Added To My Favorites List

1    10/9/2017   10/12/2017
Review By: Mr. Butlertron
Pros:

- free to play, plenty of parking
- high quality, large, rubberized tees
- most holes have dual tees
- multiple pin locations
- quality tee signs: numbered, listed all pin locations, listed distances
- lots of elevation variety
- the course well landscaped, not sure if this may always be the case
- great variety of hole lengths, nice balance
- quality baskets with numbered flags
- brightly marked navigational signs between holes
- some steep sections of the course had built in steps
- mostly intuitive layout, I mistook hole 18 for 15
- a lot of chances for scoring seperstion
Cons:

- benches only for long tees
- tee signs could use pin indicators
- some of the course paths can get really muddy, could use more built in steps
- noticeable trash throughout the course rough, car tires, ect.
- neighborhood was a little sketchy, worried my car would be broken into

Perkerson Park is a hilly, long, park style course mixed with some technical woodsy holes. The soft rubber pads were great, even in the rain. Conditions during my visit were a little muddy, especially in the woods, but it did not stifle gameplay much. I enjoyed just about every aspect of the course, from the long power drive fairways to the short technical lines in the woods, every hole brought unique challenges. The course design did a great job utilizing the park's hilly landscape. The course balance was superb.

My cons are few and petty, but worth mentioning. Walking up and down hill to find the pin placements was more taxing than usual due to the hilly landscape. Pin indicators would have been nice. Sections of the woods were a bit slick due to the rain I experienced during my round as well. You can tell a great deal of work and money has gone into the landscaping. The stone steps throughout the course are greatly appreciated my this disc golfer. Some areas could probably use more steps, gravel, retaining walls, ect. The benches were big and accommodating, although it was a luxury often denied to the short tee box throwers. I see how the park location could be listed as a con, though I didn't experience anything unsettling. My recommendation is to either leave any valuables at home, and or carry them with you.

I arrived on the tail end of a weekend tournament with the course completely to myself. I didn't see another frolfer the during my round, not even in the parking lot. The landscape looked freshly trimmed, the rough was not an issue at all. I found 5 discs in the creek running through the course and am in the process of getting them all returned. Maybe if I play my cards right I can guilt one off the owners into guiding me around other courses in the area during my next visit to ATL. All in all, I was blown away by the overall quality of the course and the amenities. This is easily one of the top courses I've yet to experience, it's just about everything I personally love to see in a course. I look forward to throwing more courses in the area soon.

A true pleasure to play.

1    11/27/2016   11/29/2016
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (4.125 Rating) This course is a true pleasure to play.
- UNIQUENESS - What I enjoyed most about Perkerson Park was the uniqueness and variety in the holes themselves. There are a couple of dogleg 4's, A short but challenging par 5, water elements in play, pocket shots, window shots, tunnel fairways, unique pin placement elements and so on. There are not too many bomb it holes if you're the type that can push it over 400. I did find 15 to be a good hole to let it rip. I also tried ripping it on 9 but smacked a tree. I ended up 100 foot dead right of the tree it hit, and took a 6.
- ELEVATION - A nice amount of elevation changes. A couple up shots and several down shots. However, the max elevation change on any one hole is about 40-50 feet.
- SHOT SELECTION - I probably played 70% backhand and the rest flicks. Most drives need to be well thought out and placed, especially on the holes thru the woods (Holes 7,8,9,10,12,13)
- CHALLENGING - One of the more challenging courses I've played. It will definitely challenge your game as you'll have to tactically attack each hole and be willing to settle or scramble for par and even boggy when things don't go your way. Probably only pros and higher end advanced players break course par on a routine basis.
- CHARACTER - There is fairly accurate hole signage throughout the course. Most of the tees are shaded well and there are two tees for pros and ams at nearly all the holes. There are multiple pin placements on every hole, most with an A, B, and C location. There is seating at a few holes. There is a practice basket by tee #1 as well. The community board however, was void of a course map and any club material. Not sure if it was the day I played or if it's normally that way.
- TEE PADS - Rubber pads of adequate length and width. The traction and footing on them is solid. As good as concrete, or better.
- SPACING - Pretty good, except for the journey between 11 to 12. There's really no shot of ending up in another fairway in lieu of grip-lock or pinging a tree. Tees are generally separated well from the prior baskets but not annoyingly far with a couple of exceptions. 4-5 and 6-7 and 14-15 are all over a 200 foot walk.
- NAVIGATION QUES - There are next tee signs everywhere. Among the most I've seen on any course I've played thus far. It really helped out a lot. I did however have to refer to my phone map a few times though.
- NATURAL BEAUTY - The raw beauty was well above average. Most courses I've played it's just an afterthought... not here. Not every course is so lucky to be partially located on a 60 foot ledge and have a gentle 10 foot wide creek running though it. I'm glad that several pin locations took use of these natural features.
Cons: I find no major complaints about Perkerson but I'll add a few minor ticky tack things.
- TIME PLAY - Course is not a quick play. Plan to be here 3 hours or more for a group of 4 to complete 18 holes.
- OVERGROWTH - Although I played at a time when the overgrowth was mostly dead, I still spent significant time looking for my disc on the holes through the woods. Lots of leaves just wanted to conceal my disc. I predict the overgrowth must get bad towards the end of the rainy season.
- SKILL LEVEL FRIENDLY - This is not a beginners course. The odds of losing a disc here is probably higher than normal, especially when the overgrowth peaks or when the creek is at its banks.
- LOCATION - Although easy to get to from I75. The journey from the freeway to the park runs through some blighted areas. However, the area directly adjacent to the park itself, appears nice.
- VANDELISM - The hole signage on 11 was heavily damaged. There was also a bit more trash than you'd typically see on an average course. I've read on earlier posts that much has improved in terms of the trash clean-up with the help of the club. So kudos to them in their work thus far.
- PIN LOCATION PEG - I had to run up a few fairways to judge the pin locations. It would be nice to incorporate a pin location peg system at the tee area. I'll add that there are bright yellow flags on top of the baskets to help with locating the basket down fairway.
Other Thoughts: Perkerson Park is the 50th new course I've played in 2016 as well as my 50th review. What a treat. One of the best of the 70 courses I've played as of this review. If your an Intermediate player or above and in the Atlanta area, you need to play this course.

An adventure in the forest.

2-4    10/18/2016   11/13/2016
Review By: programchaos32
Pros: Perkerson park is in a gorgeous forest in the heart of Atlanta, this course was very challenging, which is a pro to me, lots of opportunities to use forehand or backhand, clearly delineated pathways, lots of twists and turns and overall a very varied and balanced course that did not easily give up her birdies to me and my buddy.
Cons: Random people wandering through the course, the course is partially in a neighborhood where car theft is a little more prevalent apparently, if you catch it right after a hurricane there may be a few leaves here and there.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I really loved Perkerson park and I'd come here over and over again if I lived in Atlanta. It has a variety of uphill and downhill shots and a lot of twists and turns that make it challenging from either tee it seems (we only did the hard tees). There was a good variety of distances between each hole and the flow to each hole was very consistent also. The only drawback that I could find to the course was that it was only kinda in a shady neighborhood. Just don't be there after dark!

Perkerson Park

5+    6/19/2016   6/22/2016
Review By: lazrman778
Pros:
Has practice basket

Has rubber tee pads for both tees

Has excellent tee signs

Has many benches throughout course

Has multiple basket placements for all holes

Has next tee signs posted throughout

Good mix of open/wooded fairways with doglegs and elevations

Water comes into play on some of the holes but holes #11 and #18 are the only ones that are really a factor in losing a disc

Challenging, long course with variety of pars

Free parking at multiple locations

Restrooms
Cons:
Baskets are hard to locate on some holes - need flags or bright paint

Some holes such as 5, 7, 9 have rough areas and need more maintenance

Canal running through the course can be treacherous to get in and out of if you throw your disc in

Course design and flow could use improvement as there are long walks between 4&5, 6&7, 14&15, and 11&12 requires crossing over hole #14 fairway

Not in the best of Atlanta's neighborhoods - recommend parking in the lot near hole #4 tee pad

Course can get crowded at times as it's popular with parkgoers and players
This is a nice challenging multi-use course that is the only one with 18 holes inside the perimeter of Atlanta and is tournament-quality. This course is pretty solid and will require a variety of shots to shoot a low score. The park is scenic and well established with tall, mighty trees and a good amount of shade. Playing the black tees are definitely challenging. I have heard of break-ins at this course via Facebook but have not experience this personally. The parking lot near hole #6 seems to be more secluded so I would recommend not parking at this one. Watch out for yellow jackets here...I got stung multiple times after accidentally disturbing a nest on hole #7 while looking for my disc from an errant drive.

My Favorite Course So Far.

1    3/13/2016   3/28/2016
Review By: Codiferus
Pros: -This area is clearly dedicated to disc golf, where most courses seem to just be wooded areas with disc golf catchers.
-The course is long and offers a huge variety of holes.
-This is the only course I've played on that actually had a par 5 hole.
Cons: -Might be a bit much for newer players, because of length of the course and also the skill required on certain holes.
-The location of the course isn't that good.
Other Thoughts: -I've only played on 7 courses so far and I've only played this one once, but it's my favorite course.

Beautiful & Challenging

2-4    1/6/2016   1/6/2016
Review By: TroyBurns
Pros: Challenging pro and intermediate course in an old city park with old oaks and pine. Wooded holes are highly navigable and long from black tees. I'm an intermediate and have thrown mid 70's from the black tees. Just after you have ben bogied all over the course you hit a par 5 18 to kick you in the nethers. This is a course I will return to play often.
Cons: Its in the hood. Don't pass go and head straight to the course, someone might jack you on the way for that $200. Inside the park there have always been lots of golfers, walkers, kids on playground and activity. Seems safe enough to me with a clean and empty car.
Other Thoughts: Oregon Park remains my favorite course in the metro ATL. This is my second favorite

1    12/2/2014   9/28/2015
Review By: reposado
Pros: Solid course with quite a bit of elevation changes and a ton of variety in hole type. From wooded holes to open ones and a ton that are pretty much in-between, you will throw discs down and to the right or up to the left and every fairway is fair. Approachable for new players and interesting for veterans. The design here is really top notch and the play itself is highly recommended. The park is multi-use but the footprint is huge so while you will see plenty of other facilities, none come into conflict with the course itself besides random walkers who just see grassy areas. The course has some solid length and I think most will appreciate the challenge that is provided by the lines that it demands. For those who aren't up for that, the short tees are muchsimpler.
Cons:
Navigation has some rough spots and 1 can be particularly difficult to find. You will definitely need to bring the map with you as many transitions are not obvious. This will get frustrating at times, even with the map.
The course can feel unsafe but you likely won't see many issues in day light hours apparently. However, do not take a cab there. A lot of people may fly into Atlanta and have things to do downtown and it may be tempting to skip out to the course but unless you have a car this is a bad idea. Getting another cab to come out there to get you when you are done is going to be a struggle as they don't want to come out there to get you. If you want a pick up after 18 holes, your best bet is calling on hole 3. Good course but not worth the hassle of dealing with any public transportation in the area.

< Prev 1 2 3 4