Debary, FL
River City Nature Park - Alpha Share
Uploaded By: The Miniac Hole #6 (Taken 11/2013)
Hole #6 Red Tee Sign

Share URL:

Kick back and relax.

1    5/29/2017   7/26/2017
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (3.982 Rating) The most laid back course I've ever played (141 courses played as of this review)
- CHILL AREAS - Amazing lounge areas on this course. A few tee areas have several awesome wood benches with backs and nice wooden tables. It's the equivalent of an outdoor patio furniture arrangement. I kind I wish I didn't show up here solo and on a time crunch. I wanted put these features to use.
- CHARACTER - In addition to these chill areas, the additional amenities and extras on Alpha is among the best I've seen, and I see this course as the ultimate after work relaxation course. To start, two nice concrete pads that are generally well shaded and they each have their own tee signs. All the signs have basket location pegs. There's also a community board with a disc return, two practice baskets and a shelter, all near tee (1).
- BASKET PLACEMENTS - Far and away the most basket placements I've ever seen on a course. Almost 80 of them. Local players will be entertained with a constantly changing course. For those of us out of town, It will really temp us to make a return visit. There is one issue with all the basket locations. It requires a constant upkeep on the peg markers in the signs. There were a few marked incorrectly on my round and a few of the tee pegs were broken in the slot.
- SIGNATURE HOLE - From tee view alone, there really wasn't any hole that blew away, just lots of great holes. However, hole (14) has to be the signature hole due to its tee sign. There are 11 basket placements on this hole! Everything from a 700 foot par 5 to a 300 foot par 3. This may not be practical and can actually be sort of annoying on first play, but it's definitely a unique experience.
- CHALLENGING - To be fair, I have no idea due to the multitude of basket locations that have a significant challenge separation. I figure that the difference from the hardest to easiest 18 hole layout could vary by as much as six throws in relation to par. This stated, I think an average layout will challenge intermediate players to break par and advanced players should be a few down. When baskets are placed in the most difficult layout, I could definitely see advanced players struggling to crack par.
- UNIQUENESS - For a course without water or elevation in play, Alpha is still well above average as all the other variety items are accounted for. Doglegs, pockets, sweeping 3's, windows, scores of blind baskets and more. Also a bunch of par 4s and one par 5 if basket (14) is in the (K) position.
- SHOT SHAPING - Not as much as the adjacent course (Barwick) but there are several holes that have to be thought out well to leave good birdie opportunities. Several holes have optimal defined throwing lanes with the option to play a more risky tight line to leave a closer birdie putt or to make an ace run.
- SKILL LEVEL FRIENDLY - Alpha is ideal for a wide swath of seasoned skill levels. The red tees are perfect for rec players. The white tees are balanced right in the middle between intermediate and advanced level players.
- MAINTENANCE - The grounds were amazing and they appear to be constantly mowed, trimmed and manicured. There is also a proper amount of garbage cans and trash was pretty much non-existent.
- NATURAL BEAUTY - A very eloquent course setting. Beautiful trees, great fauna and minimal manmade features in view. I haven't played every course within 50 miles, but I currently have Alpha scored the highest of the 13 courses that I've played in that zone.
Cons: Other than a few ticky tack navigational gripes, I'm grasping at straws to find issues with this course.
- COURSE MAP - No course map at the community board at the time of my visit. Seriously how much effort does it take to print an 11 x 17 map and post it. Hopefully its absents was just temporary for some odd reason. The course map I downloaded online from DGCR was adequate.
- SIGNAGE - Very nice looking signage. However, not accurate enough for a first timer on this type of a course. I shot down the wrong lane three times from the red tees (8, 12,14) Google earth satellite imagery versus the signage's tree callouts, do not match well enough to define the correct line in a few instances.
- NAVIGATION - Doable with a map first time through, but considering the multitude of basket placements, there can, and will be some navigational questioning. There are lots of directional ques along the layout, but a course with this type of set-up needs way more. In addition, expect several longer walks between holes as well.
- OVERGROWTH - Less than at the Barwick course but still expect some extended time searching. I will state however, for a course this wooded, surprisingly less than I excepted. Several holes in the pines, have just about no overgrowth, and are laid with a bed of pine needles.
- POISON IVY - I spotted poison ivy two times during my round. So during the summer, you may have to weigh comfort now, over comfort later.
- ELEVATION AND WATER FEATURES - Really nothing of substance on this course. No more than 10 feet of change on any one hole. Water elements are really only in play in fringe situations. Basket (D) on hole (5) crosses a very very small creek.
- PARKING - Unpaved. OK for now, but it will continue to deteriorate
Other Thoughts: Clearly one of the better courses in the state of Florida. This is one of those places that even an awful day on the course will still leave you with a smile on your face. This is definitely a destination course, highly recommended for all skill levels but beginners. Be sure and check out the Barwick course as well. Not as refined as Alpha, but a unique experience in its own right.

Big And Bodacious!

1    10/30/2016   10/30/2016
Review By: thrembo
Pros: Absolutely fantastic course in wich everything is large and in charge! Big fairways with multiple pin placements, big trees, big challenges, and big fun! Two tee pads with nice signage and plenty of next tee signs. I probably used every disc in my bag here and all of my throws including the most rollers I've thrown on a course in a long time. The course also has a nice vibe to it and is set in a dedicated area. The course is also free to play and has a full-service disc golf store like right across the street from it.
Cons: Even with all of the signage, navigation can be somewhat tricky in spots. Thankfully, the course is heavily played and the very friendly locals were more than happy to keep us on the right path.

BRING BUG SPRAY!!! Mosquitos can be brutal at times.

The course lacks some real standout/signature kind of holes. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of really nice holes here, but the course isn't quite as interesting or diverse as say a Medard or Turkey Lake IMO.
Other Thoughts: This is a wonderful course and a pleasure to play. There is another 18 hole course on site here making this park a destination for a fun day of throwing plastic.

Oh yeah, a warning for the tinfoil hat wearing people: The course has several holes directly underneath some high power lines.

Top Notch!

1    7/25/2015   8/7/2015
Review By: Jiggy202
Pros:
-2 concrete tee pads, great tee signs, and multiple pin locations on every hole
-Excellent tee signs with distances to every pin position from both pads and decent current pin location marker.
-Variety of hole types here is excellent, a little bit of everything in the very nice park dedicated to disc golf.
-Free to play
Cons:
-No restrooms on site
-Some hole with unnecessary extra pin placements. 3 or 4 cool, but 11 pin placements is a bit much
-Could use a few more next hole signs to make flow a bit easier for first timers.
I was hesitant to make the drive out to play this course, but we got a recommendation so we decided to give it a shot. I was NOT disappointed, this course is great. There is a ton of variety here and its designed to challenge players of all skill levels. Sure this course doesn't much elevation, but it uses the little bit it does have perfectly. The low spots can get some standing water and they become OB water hazards, love how this is noted on the tee signs. You can tell that this course is consistently well taken care of, I hope they keep improving this course. Not having restrooms and the fact that it was a bit difficult to navigate for a first timer is the only real downside to this course. I would definitely come back and play this course again. Probably my favorite course I was able to play in FL.

5+    8/2/2015   8/5/2015
Review By: Discdude1414
This review was updated on 11/25/2015
Pros: First I want to give props to the course designer, for making this course with many different types of holes. There are some holes where there is a marked fairway, and you know where you need to go. Some other, there are trees everywhere and you have to be creative and find your own path. The tee boxes are always cleared off and you can see them. The signs at the tee box is good, and accurately shows where the hole is. There are 2 tee boxes on every hole and at least 3 hole placements, even up to 11 on one hole!! This gives much variety to every hole. I go there often and about 1/3 of the holes are moved about every week or two. Bottom line is this is one of the best courses I have played and I am proud to call it my local course.
Cons: The course is beautiful, but I wish that it would be maintained a little bit better. I know it's hard to do that with a free course, but the trashcans usually have tons of beer and I wish they were changed more often. There are no facilities on the course, but if you really had to take a leak you could find a bush. When going hole to hole it can be confusing finding the next hole, but there are some signs pointing you in the direction.
Other Thoughts: Great course, lots of variety and also got my first ACE there so hole 18 is even more special to me.

Course is in good shape

1    11/1/2014   11/3/2014
Review By: ricklev
Pros: The grass is fairly short and there weren't many ant hills. It had cooled down to the 60's, so the bug count was lower too. The shots are fair, where you get rewarded if you keep the line to the basket and often penalized if you don't. The beautiful St. Johns river is nearby.
Cons: The baskets weren't easy to spot. As others have mentioned, there are so many pins, it's hard to see where the basket is. Often the tee marked the basket location, but I (or my wife) still had to walk the course to see where the basket was. Not a big problem, but we did have to do this.
Other Thoughts: I only got in 7 of the first 9 holes before I had to leave, but I enjoyed playing this course.

River City's a real gas!

1    12/30/2013   2/4/2014
Review By: BogeyNoMore
This review was updated on 2/25/2014
Pros: Wonderfully designed course in a clean, quiet area where I didn't see much else happening.
• Design: The park is full of hammocks, (dense stands of trees), separated by open meadow. The naturally occurring spaces between the hammocks comprise most of the fairways, but it's the masterful way in which the tees and pins were placed that allows you to appreciate just how much good discing they squeezed out of this parcel. There's plenty of open space to work different lines, but pretty much every hole narrows at one or more points, forcing you to hit certain windows (regardless of the route you took to get there) to get to a nicely tucked or otherwise well-guarded green. Almost the entire course is some variation on this theme, yet the course never felt repetitive or boring - probably because you always have to think about how you're going to get around this or that obstacle to set up your next shot for a good look at the pin.
• Variety: Nice balance of L/R/straight and some more complex shots off the tee. Distances range from short Ace Runs to bombers and everything in between. Distance can definitely help on some holes (especially from the longs) but every hole requires placement to score well. Long and short tees often present reasonably different looks. Combine with a plethora of rotating pin placements (I'm not kidding), and locals have a course that plays a myriad of different ways.
• Equipment: Textured concrete was grippy, even when wet. Nice signage at both sets of tees show hole layout, and distances for multiple pin placements. Yellow Innovas are easy to spot.
• Navigation: Intuitive routing, generous use of next tee signs and easy to spot tee markers making getting around a pleasure - only had to check the map 2-3 times.
• Aesthetics: Lush, green, and quite eye appealing IMO. I like courses that intersperse open areas with wooded sections. Not much nasty underbrush, although there are some places where discs could be tough to find.
• Risk/Reward: Full of holes that appear seemingly innocent are misleadingly tricky. They set up for easy pars and birdies if played well, but can easily cost a stroke if misplayed, particularly if you cut into the woods early. Unlike some open holes where worm-burners can be made up with a longer 2nd shot to set up a par, you may need to back off on your 2nd shot to hit the window to set up your approach and putt for a bogie. Rewards you for playing within your game, and punishes you for taking things for granted - most of the times I got burned were for being too ambitious on tee shots I knew I could pull off ...if I hit 'em just right.
Cons:
• No no elevation to speak of, and lacks variety in terms of different fairway types.
• Gas pipe installations are a bit of an eyesore on a course that's otherwise very pleasant to look at.
• Fire ant hills all over the place - watch where you place your bag (and your feet).
• More of an FIY than a con: the abundance of possible pin placements means you'll have to walk numerous fairways to see where you're throwing. That said, River City features an almost embarrassing number of pin placements on some holes. Several tee signs show 5 possibilities, and # 14 lists eleven! (although a local told me only 5 of those 11 actually have collars).
Other Thoughts: Loved playing here - just might be my favorite course in the state. They did a wonderful job laying things out to create a course that's fun, challenging, and makes you think your way through your round in a setting that's visually appealing as it weaves it's way from open fields into the woods.

Makes up for what it lacks in terms of elevation and differing fairway types with cleverly laid-out holes using multiple tees/pin placements... this place is chock full of good spots to nestle a basket in amongst the trees. As much as River City kept me engaged the entire round, I love me some elevation, and think this could've been a 4.5 if the terrain had some real ups and downs.

There's an orange tree near 9's short pin.

Just 11 miles from the camp grounds at Blue Spring State Park. Even if you're not camping, it's worth a visit to see manatees, tarpon, gars and more bathing in the crystal clear, warm, spring waters feeding into the St. Johns River.

Great Course!

1    12/22/2013   12/25/2013
Review By: Marcwrosejr
Pros: This was the first time I've played here and I thoroughly enjoyed it. There is a good flow of the course. I've heard threw the local league players that the signs were recently updated and I gotta say they pretty sharp.

The course is pretty well maintained with short, but technical fairways. Good for all levels of players. I love the scenery, it reminds me of Georgia or South Carolina minus the mountains.

A lot of great people to socialize with about the game.
Cons: They could use restrooms and water fountains. I could see someone posting up a hot dog stand on the weekends and making some $$.
Other Thoughts: This is in the top 2 of Central Florida in my opinion. Turkey Lake t2 is my other fav. I live 15 mins away from Barnett Park and that's a nice course too, but I will make it a point to play more out here!

Solid course worthy or repeat play

5+    7/25/2016   12/1/2013
Review By: blueblur
This review was updated on 7/27/2016
Pros: One of the best courses in Florida. Impressive repeat play value because there are so many alternative basket positions and at least some baskets get moved about every 6 weeks. Fair fairways and no gimmick holes. Some true Par 4 holes here. Designed by Gregg Hosfeld, one of the best designers in the country. Bring every shot you have because you will need them all.
Cons: No facilities or running water. No elevation and very minimal water hazards but this isn't something that can be designed. However, there are a couple of low lying areas with high grass marked as OB with string lines and flags which is a great substitute for water OB.
Other Thoughts: Home of DeBary Disc Golf Club (www.debarydiscgolf.org ), which is one of the best disc golf clubs in Florida.

The secret is out!

1    12/1/2013   12/1/2013
Review By: Curtis Loew
Pros: This course requires many different tee shots ranging from low touch flicks to long back hand bombs so you WILL be tested!

A couple of unique features of this course are the multiple pin placements and the seclusion of the course. There are no walking trails or playgrounds on around the course. It is very peaceful and the park is beautiful! It is common to see bald eagles and other cool wildlife.

I played the course multiple times preparing for the recent Debary Open 11/23 & 11/24/13. The DeBary Disc Golf Club was very active and the course has many recent improvements:
•New Tee Signs - they look terrific!
•New NEXT TEE signage which makes it very easy to navigate between holes.
•Multiple new trees were planted both Oak and Magnolia for shade and aesthetics
Cons: There are no facilities at this time. I understand the City of DeBary is working with Club to add a pavilion and rest rooms in the future.
Other Thoughts: It is hard to pick a signature hole because the pin placements can make such a big change but #17 is a short par 3 under a full canopy that is a beautiful hole and # 14 with the awesome large trapezoid pad and 10 pin placements are both great holes!

The recent tournament created a huge buzz about what a great course this has become. The secret is out!

Can't wait to get back!

2-4    11/30/2013   12/1/2013
Review By: fuzzbomb
Pros: What a great course for Central Florida! We spent some time in Daytona for the holidays and made the drive over to River City to check out the course and I'm glad we did. I ended up playing this course every day I was in town.

In the shadow of a giant power plant on the edge of Lake Monroe is tucked River City Park... and the course is the centerpiece.

The course is very well-maintained. Example: the first day we played there were very high winds and the palm trees were shedding leaves left and right. We came to play the next morning (Thanksgiving day, 9am) and there was a guy there who had already cleaned the course of deadfall and was cutting limbs off the driveway.

There are two concrete pads at each hole and a variety of pin placements. The pin placement is indicated by a marker on the signs at each pad. The signs were bright and well made and present without exception and the pads were grippy and clean. These guys even had brooms on most of the pads to help keep it clean.

There is a good variety of short and long holes, with plenty of longer holes to stretch out your throws. There isn't a lot of elevation change in general (it's central Florida), but the course was able to incorporate the elevation changes at the park in the design.

After playing so many Charlotte courses this one was a breath of fresh air. It was very nice to stand on tee pad and not feel like every tee shot is bound up by a hallway of trees and obstructions. I *really* liked the open tee shots and the opportunity to unload with the drives... time after time. But even with that aspect, shot placement is crucial or you will quickly find yourself in a thick rough or with a very poor shot on a tricky pin placement.

From the long tee pads this course is not a "quick play" (unless you know the course, play solo and hustle between shots). I played with one other and we usually played around 2 hours plus. This is a positive in my book.

The setting is beautiful. I imagine this place gets brutal in the summer, but on a cloudy day in November this place is practically paradise.

Cons: Could be more benches and trash cans, but there aren't so few that it affects my rating.

A couple holes are a little on the bland side (6 and 15 come to mind) but I can recognize that it is tough for every hole to be a signature hole.

There really is very little about this course to complain about. No bathrooms or water, but I didn't subtract for that either.
Other Thoughts: Can't wait to come back!

I was able to play this course in varying conditions (high winds, occasional gusty winds and calm) and I enjoyed all three.

Saw a bald eagle out there on consecutive days. Awesome.

On 9 I came up a little short with my hyzer shot and ended up in the middle of a roundish thicket... When I looked up to scout a shot out I saw I was surrounded by ripe oranges. Had a delicious snack, then got up and down for par.

It may be worth noting, one morning we decided to play the course in Daytona but when we pulled in and saw the course we looked at each other, and said "Let's go back to River City". And so we did.