Good Olí Classic Fun
2 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: This 'Steady Ed era' nine hole course surprised me with its good use of rolling elevation and trees to determine fun, short lines to the baskets. It has some basic signage and a couple of models of DGA baskets (which appeared to have been properly assembled now). There's parking right by hole 1, and the little park appears to be decently cared for. Mostly, when we stopped by on a cool and gorgeous Sunday morning in August, there were four or five groups of casual players enjoying the course, and a couple of groups like us, just stretching out a little before our Ledgestone tourney round over at Sunset Hills.
If I lived nearby, I think I would be out on this course several times a week, seeking a 'clean' birdie round, then trying to log an ace on each hole. I really enjoy the fun, casual aspect of a pitch and putt from time to time. Besides, there are several championship caliber courses within a twenty minute circle, and it's nice to have something for everyone!
Cons: The lack of distance will certainly deter players above a recreational level from wanting to play here too often. Then there's the age factor...about half the baskets are 1980's era DGA baskets with only about 6" of depth to them. The others might be 10" deep. The tees are undefined and natural, meaning folks range forward, back and side to side to get decent footing as they rut, or to take advantage. I think it was hole 3 that has at least 20' of worn tee area, and the front of that practically becomes a 'short tee', compared to throwing from the sign
Speaking of signs, they're old and in need of refreshing. And they are often only a few feet off the 'green' of the previous hole...which was fine with a Frisbee, but now there are certainly dangerous lines for chuckers to risk hitting kids. The second tee is only a few feet left of the first fairway (which also hyzers at the parking area).
Though they've built some sturdy steps going up to 3 and down on 6, they're showing their age, and some of the rebar is becoming exposed. Finally, the branches on 2 pretty much turn a cool shot into a spray and pray, and I remember having to move a bushy branch out of the way to walk up to 3. Needs a little trimming.
Other Thoughts: A lot of folks might rate this a half point lower, but I kind of liked the charm and variety of the Marquette Heights pitch & putt to move it up a notch.
Reviewer Background as of this writing: played 281 courses and written 264 reviews, with skills hovering around a 900 rating, I started playing at 50 and am now 55. I don't throw far (300 footers feel like success), but am addicted to DG, and have played with folks ranging from age 7 to 87, so I try to write reviews helpful to all.
2 of 2 people found this review helpful.
7 Helpful / 0 Not
grab your putter and roc(k)
Pros: i was pleasantly surprised by this course; it was a great cool down between some more serious golf offered in the area.
- park is in a nice area, not too much traffic or garbage
- the course has good flow from hole to hole with only minor navigation issues given posts and distance only
- course plays really short but offers fun lines, upshots
- great use of elevation as well as trees and limited space
- all tees are relatively flat being natural, with a few exceptions
- plays really quick- 30 min chillin
- notable holes: #2- tight shot downhill OB right, #5 tight gap over drop- plays short, #6- mellow downhill ace run over the gulley and thick
Cons: - all the baskets are a smidge short from top ring to basket. kinda wierd..
- course is really short, but doesnt have much land
- minor navigation issues hole to hole, nothing overwhelming, look 4 posts/signs- baskets have the correct numbers
- certain holes play close to others- take caution when its crowded, if ever
- fun for a putter only round; not completely satisfying for even the average golfer
Other Thoughts: unless some changes were made at marquette heights, i fail to see eye to eye with the current rating. i give it the benefit of the doubt. i have played much worse.
7 of 7 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.