Troutdale, OR
Dabney State Park Share
Uploaded By: didy22 Hole #8 (Taken 7/2009)
Hole #8 Approach

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5

2-4    3/10/2018   8/16/2019
Review By: Nate32
Pros: Dabney St Park right next to the Sandy River is one of my favorite courses in the Columbia River George. This course offers that esthetically pleasing views and the sounds of nature all around. There are great variety of shots all around. This course moderately hilly as it plays through some woods, as well as some open shots. This course was placed in a great area I think. Kind of reminds me of Riverbend DGC just because of the terrain.

Great Hardware such as teepads and teesigns and baskets. There is a practice basket as well which is always great.

First hole is one of my favs. This hole is a fun shot over the water in the winter.
The rest of the holes. Are played around amazing views and in some woods.
Hole 3 straight over water. This hole reminds me of one of the holes at horning hideouts.

Hole 4 straight to left hole kind of wide open. Hole 5 one of my other favorite holes. Downhill hyzer is the play great bombing shot.

This course plays through open with a few trees on the left and right. That is on the front nine.
On the back side it is wooded. For some parts. On the last holes there is a cliff of to the left.

Mach V or X baskets get the job done I would like to see a little more high quality baskets.

For beginners I would say play the holes you know you can play. Some holes have steep cliffs and other holes have water on them.

Cons: I would recommend going here in the summer. In the winter it is muddy wet and standing water. Decently good tee signs. They get the job done I do wish they would be more detailed.

Some of the brush should be cleared but its not too much of a problem. Also it is a state park so you do have to pay to play.

I would recomend a map some baskets are hard to find because they are either blocked by quite a few other trees or etc.

In the woods holes I would say they need to clear some trees. Some of them are right neer the teepad as well as the basket.
Other Thoughts: If you live out there I would recommend a state parks pass. It makes it easier to mange you way around and you don't have to dig in you wallet for $5. Also the pass comes to other amazing courses such as Milo Mciver Timber and others.

AND I do recommend playing here in the summer.

Overall I like this course I have played here a couple of times. I like the variety of shots that they have. It challenges players from all skill levels.
I would like to see them have a couple more pin locations on each hole though. Definitely worth checking out if you are in the area or visiting IN the summer.

Great setting for a course

1    4/9/2019   4/19/2019
Review By: Schreuds2.0
Pros:
-Baskets are great, Mach V, a couple seem to have fallen apart, but have been put together in a more Mach X style, but without the inner chains, doesn't really matter, they catch great. They are also bright yellow, so they stand out against the forest.
-Elevation is a great part of this course, holes play over little ravines, (hole 3 even played down a hill and over a pond) some play up hills, some play down, some play on the side, some have death putts. There was one hole, hole 11 if I remember correctly that had the basket in the edge of a steep hill that dropped like 30 feet down, just plain craziness.
-This is a wooded course, the trees shape holes to be either pretty typical (not necessarily a bad thing) or completely unlike anything else. This course has a huge variety of shots, on many holes I didn't really know what to throw, I had to get really creative on a lot of shots.
-Navigation is easy out here, the only big walk is between holes 11 and 12, and then from 18 to the parking lot. Very intuitive flow.
-Water is used well on this course. I wouldn't say it is a defining feature, nor does it come into play on every hole, but when it comes into play, it is formidable. And that is awesome
-Very pretty setting, one of those places that you feel lucky to play disc golf in
-No garbage laying around
Cons:
-This course was pretty darn muddy, at least for the first nine holes, as a result of this, the tee pads got super nasty, mud flowed over them, which led to a bit of a traction problem.
-This course is pretty typical for state park courses, it had rough brush on either side of the fairway, which can gobble up discs like crazy
-This course doesn't allow dogs, which is super unfortunate. I'm sure there is a good reason, but it is too bad that my dogs couldn't play with me.
-The walk back to the parking lot is massive, holes 18 and 1, end and start respectively, very far apart from each other.
-Tee signs show different basket locations, but have no indication of which one is in play, this isn't a huge deal on most holes, but there are definitely some confusing holes, where I took a bogey because I threw a mid and not a driver, or vice versa.
-One tee pad on the back nine was totally jacked up from a tree falling on it (I assume) super hazardous, and no other place to throw from
Other Thoughts: This is a great course, pretty well worth the parking fee, if you can, try and play this course while it is dry, really the only bad thing is the mud

1    8/11/2018   8/12/2018
Review By: Breh
Pros: -very good elevation change
-great mix of left and right holes
-lots of different shot variety
-good mix of open and wooded holes
-nice long cement tee pads
-pretty easy navigation
- lots of apples trees and apples to eat while playing :)
-hole 5 is just crazy not sure if pro or con
-multiple pin locations
Cons: -needs new tee signs only 3 older looking ones left, and since then multiple pin locations have been put in
-the rough in summer gets a little overgrown a couple holes spotters isn't a bad idea to have
-some of the pin locations are pretty difficult with no true shot from the pad to pin
- most holes you will need to walk up to see or find the basket
Other Thoughts: It's a very great course maybe not too notch but worth the drive and play

Keep Your Line

2-4    6/26/2018   6/27/2018
Review By: Marc55410
Pros: Fun layout with variations of wooded and open holes, long and short.
Cons: If you don't make the fairway on every shot you will meet some hazards. From ravines to nettles and ferns. Spotter almost mando. Some areas are naturally mucky even in summer.
Other Thoughts: Not a good place to go alone. If your line does not stick to the fairway there is a good chance you will lose your disc.

Good place to play

1    4/27/2016   5/2/2016
Review By: Joshwest
Pros: - Very beautiful state park, top notch location for disc golf.
- Pretty solid layout, felt like a good balance of hyzers, anhyzers, and straight shots. Is mostly open for the first half or so, then is wooded for the ending.
- Remote place, so there weren't many people out there. The course is far enough from a larger town, that I can't imagine it ever being overrun with people.
- A lot of birdie chances. I'm a pretty average player, and I shot -2, which is nice to be able to shoot really well for my first time to play it.
Cons: - The course map that is uploaded on this site needs updating. A new #1 one was added and #18 was removed, so all the holes on the map are 1 lower than they should. The signs at the park are updated, but I still had to use the map a few times.
- Like most people said, the grass can be really high if you get off the fairway. I threw my drive too far left on #5, and lost it in a field of tall grass. It was a poor drive, but it shouldn't have resulted in a lost disc.
- #8 tee sign showed a straight shot, but the hole was off to the left. If the basket was where the sign said it should be, it would be right next to the next tee box, so it was probably moved to avoid hitting someone (which is understandable).
Other Thoughts: - I wouldn't put the course as the best in the area, but if I have a few days in Portland, I would come and play.
- You can either park at the upper lot right next to #1 and have to walk a bit when you're done, or park in the lower lot and have to walk back up to #1 and be right next to your car when you're done. Your choice.
- Paying for parking was a little weird. There wasn't a machine that you had to pass to get in the park. I had to pull off to the right, get out, and walk to the machine to pay. Not a bad thing, just seems weird to not have pay-to-park machines in the drive-in.

Gateway to the Gorge

1    9/5/2015   9/9/2015
Review By: Pierparknut
This review was updated on 4/10/2016
Pros: -Very aesthetically pleasing course set in the western end of the Columbia River Gorge near the Sandy River. Huge conifers, rushing streams, and misty air are one of a kind to the Cascade Mountains.
-Super peaceful and serene way out here in the boonies.
-Great variety of holes: water holes, short tree lined holes, longer open holes. The first 11 were more open, whereas the last 7 holes were shorter and played through a tight forested area, offering more technical shots.
-Fun pin locations
-Not too many players when I played on a Saturday morning.
-Signs were present but not that helpful.
-Mach 5's were in good condition.
Cons: -Was wet. I played during summer and it was a bit damp. It'll be very nasty and muddy, I'm sure, during wintertime. It is the Gorge, after all.
-On a decent number of holes, including the last four, if you miss the fairway left you'll go down a steep hill. The undergrowth isn't too thick, so you can find your disc, but the problem is managing to make your way down TO it. I slipped way too many times.
-A little far out from civilization. It's not very easily accessed.
-Transitions between holes are tricky if you don't know the place.
Other Thoughts: -Holes 1 and 3 were long carries, not good for beginners or anyone not OK with losing a disc.
-Very good course to practice shot placement with mid-ranges, but not a good one to try a new driver. There are only a few holes (4, 10 come to mind), where you can throw full power.
-Definitely a course I'd play again.

1    5/20/2015   5/20/2015
Review By: JerichoBronco
This review was updated on 7/1/2015
Pros: Beautiful area
Long tee pads
Cons: The signs are horrible. Many of the pictures on the signs don't correlate with the actual basket position. For example one hole showed a 298 shot straight up the middle, but the actual basket position was a hzyer shot. Not even close. I noticed this on 3-4 signs. Add to that the 2-4 missing ones and that's almost 1/2 the signs that are actually correct. The distances were off way off on some of the signs too.
[EDIT] went back and they had changed the course, signs now lined up with the layout. Didn't know there was a winter layout, that's the kind of thing that should be posted!!!
Other Thoughts: I had high hopes for this course with the high course rating on this site. I walked away feeling cheated. They really need to help transition between holes with arrows. Lots of undergrowth, if you miss your line you could easily be spending quite a bit of time searching for your disc. Caution on hole #5 if you go left too far say goodbye to your disc. Knee high growth in a marshy area.
I liked the front 1/2 of the course better than the back. Good variety of shots needed. I liked the over the first hole nice technical anny, 2nd hole was a nice pond throw, although the tee sign was way off for the basket position. Next few holes were ok, then I think it's hole #7 is a tight hzyer which was a great hole and then #8 was my favorite hole a downhill anhyzer with lots of brush if you don't turn it over. I'd rate the front half a 3.5.
The backside had several holes that seemed the same, 250ish foot slight anhyzer shots. Would like to have seen more variety. Back half was nothing special, there were a few holes with some nice technical lines but I'd rate the back half 3. So if there was a 3.25 option that's how I would rate the overall course.
Course isn't long. I used my mids almost as much as my driver for tee shots (I'm not a long driver 325ish on avg). So the course is definitely more about the technical shot over long distance.
When I wrote this review this course was the 9th highest rated course in the entire state. Sorry but NO it's not. If you make a special trip to play this over the other courses in the area you are making a mistake There are better courses close by. If you pick this course over Milo you chose wrong.
If you have played all those other courses and are looking for a new course to check off your list then it is definitely worth playing. It's not a bad course at all, it's just overrated on this site. It's like that movie you hear so much about then you watch it. It's not that it's bad, you actually like but, it's just you just had your hopes artificially set too high by hype.
[EDIT] Played again but my review doesn't change much. Let me be clear, this is a good course. You should play this course. But it's just over hyped on this site.

Very pretty retro style course

2-4    3/23/2015   3/23/2015
Review By: Moose33
Pros: Dabney is a really pretty state park, and a lot of their land is reserved for a very beautiful and diverse disc golf course.

The holes are widely varied starting out with some shorter technical holes where water and elevation come into play, then mixing in some open park style holes on 4 and 11 with more technical holes mixed in.

There is only one 400+ ft hole, number four, according to the signs. I think some of them are a little longer and a few shorter than listed.

The technicality of the course was very cool. Tons of interesting lines and really cool routes that are up to you to hit.

Basically hit your line and you can be a hero and get the birdie. Miss it and you limp to par, miss it bad and you an end up in the water or down some huge hills.

The signs were easily read, though a few were missing.

The teepds were pretty nice and long. They were also placed well, which I feel is something a lot of people mess up.
The course really is beautiful too, with all the evergreens mixed with orchard like rolling hills.
Cons: A few missing signs, a couple spots where you can see two baskets and they are really closer than they should be.
For having a course that takes up half te park there is almost no signage for it as you come in.

It's $5 for your day fee at the park, but I'm not counting that against it. It's pretty well maintained so it's worth it.
Other Thoughts: Overall it's a darn good albiet a bit short.

And I say it's retro because as you play some courses it seems that the hole was designed with a specific disc in mind.

And this course had me thinking shoot I wish I still bagged a Viper or Stingray. Would be willing to be the designer bagged both of them back in 1998 when it was installed.

If your close you need to play this one.

My home course

5+    10/30/2014   10/31/2014
Review By: LaserShot
Pros: -Different selection of holes
-beautiful layout
-Pin changes alot
-Inspired hole design
-Huge disc selection needed
-No dogs allowed (sorry I love dogs but not on a chamionship level course)
-Low risk of losing discs
-Cool players
-awesome parking
Cons: -Some holes need to be par 4 (hole 4, 5 and 11 & 14) or better yet move pins to a more technical location.
-can get damp so bring water proof shoes if it rains or rained the night before
-Can get crowded during peak times (sunday sat afternoon)
-discs WILL hit trees. trust me.
Other Thoughts: I average even to -4 on Mciver but this course I have yet to crack even. Its tough! Pin placement has a HUGE impact on your score. I really love this course but some holes are hard to earn a par. daily pass cost unless u buy a year for 30$ totally worth it.

Dabney

1    2/4/2014   6/18/2014
Review By: mbressler13
Pros: -Plenty of mixture of shots. From wooded to open back to wooded again.
-Baskets are just fine. No issues there.
-Tee pads are great
-Beautiful little state park
-Tee signs are helpful
Cons: -The course "flow" was a little off. Make sure you have someone that knows the course with you so you dont have any navigational issues.
-No enough trash cans or benches
Other Thoughts: Played this in the early spring. Great course. Good mixture of holes. When I was out there my group of 6 were the only ones on the course. Close to other outdoor activities. Well taken care of park.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5