Thomasville, GA

Share URL:

Object Disc Golf

1    4/30/2017   6/23/2017
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (1.024 Rating) My first experience on a permanent object course.
- PUTTER RUNS - Not the same a banging chains, but admiring your shot at it approaches the sign is still a gut wrenching feeling. I didn't catch the distances on these shots, but they all felt to be at around 200 feet long or shorter. So you'll have a bunch of chances at an object ace with no chance of chaining out.
- BEGINNER FRIENDLY - Much easier than the 12 hole layout. Even a first timer could have a bunch of chances at birdie.
- QUICK PLAY - I played a full 18 in less than 30 minutes. So perhaps it could be a great quick putter practice warm-up before the big boy course.
- RAW BEAUTY - Like the adjacent course on site, its well above average. Towering old pines and a 10 foot wide creek running through the layout. The creek close up is not as pristine as seen from afar. That said, the object course in general still has a great look and feel. Probably a touch lower than the 12 hole layout as the shots don't use the site features as well.
- MAINTENANCE - Other than the base of the Creek, the course was in spectacular shape. Mowed fairways, Trimmed up trees and bushes. No branches or excess dead leaves littered about, and little trash observed.
Cons: An Object course has its limitations.
- BASKETS - I guess I'm blessed to have been born at a time when basket course had already taken over. Its just not the same satisfying feeling to hit an object or post over a basket. Playing this course made me wonder what a player from 30 years back felt when they first played a course with chains.
- PLAYABILITY - The object course jumps around generally along the same layout as the 12 basket course. thus if people are already playing that layout, you're going to be competing for the same use of space to move from hole to hole.
- DIFFICULTY - As stated above, the shots are really never longer than 200 feet. I personally threw a putter from 17 of the 18 tees. Birdies should be a realistic possibility on many holes for even the newest of rec players.
- UNIQUENESS - In addition to being short runs, the targets are unguarded for the most part and are all straight. The creek is less in play when compared to the other layout as well. However, you'll still have an opportunity to drop one in the water on a shot or two.
- NAVIGATION - More tricky than the other course because there is no map and the 4 foot concrete tees are not marked. The only reason I had no issues is because I ran the 12 basket layout first and saw many of the targets and tees during that round. However, it's not that bad and you'll spend no more than 10 minutes trying to find your bearings first go around.
Other Thoughts: I found it interesting to finally play a permanent one of these object courses. I'm definitely glad the sport evolved to baskets, because I doubt I would have ever picked the sport up.

Object course

1    1/31/2012   2/10/2012
Pros: 1) Fun course to try and park holes . . . basically a bunch of shorter upshots . . . good practice.

2) Signs are numbered so you know what post you are throwing at.

3) Lots of birdie opportunities which is always fun to play courses where birdies are there.

4) Concrete is better than anything else. Size doesn't matter on this course because you do not need a run-up at all.

5) Beginner friendly for sure.

6) This is a pretty cool property with the creek the branches of the creek making for some interesting tee and basket locations.

7) Nice variety of foliage and tree types on this course creating some interesting obstacles and scenery.

8) Some minor elevation in play on a couple holes, it isn't a lot but it is something to alter a perfectly flat shot.
Cons: 1) Really short course which takes away from the challenge aspect of the course.

2) No benches or garbage cans by the tees, which is not a huge deal but worth mentioning.

3) 2 tee is missing and the sign on #3 is broken and missing from the post. A few others are also damaged but not broken completely.

4) Sandy tees due to the really sandy soil getting tracked onto the tees.

5) This can still be called disc golf but it just isn't the same. I played the course because I was there for the other course, but it just isn't the same as the game we all play so it gets a big deduction for this from me, only because I wouldn't be excited to play this course regularly, but if it was all I had in my home town . . . at least it is still something.
Other Thoughts: Overall I had fun here, but I wouldn't head back here regularly mostly because of the no basket issue. If there were baskets I would almost certainly come on occasion and make some ace-runs. These are all short holes and can be fun to try and park the shots or hit the posts.

Play the basket course!!!

1    11/14/2010   11/15/2010
Review By: robasse
Pros: The park is nice.
Cons: The course is laid out way to short for a golf disc. The reason that it is so short is because it was designed for beach frisbee golf. The tee pads are way too short and many some of the poles are missing.
Other Thoughts: There is a brand new basket course located at the same park and the #1 tee pad doubles for the basket course and the pole course. The hole average on the basket course is 300' with a great mix of shots and challenging basket locations. I would recommend that disc golfers play this 12 hole course for a challenge unless you want to throw putters on every holes.

Not Challenging, but Fun

1    3/14/2009   3/24/2010
Review By: SteveHalsell
Pros: It's in a nice park and there weren't that many people around when I played. It's located near Downtown Thomasville, which is a great walkable downtown typical of the smaller cities in the South.

The course was well maintained and it didn't seem to interfere with the park itself.

Good mix of longer and shorter holes with some obstructions to challenge the throws every now and then.
Cons: Very simple course design without much of a challenge.

There are no baskets, just 4x4 posts in the ground to hit as the pin.
Other Thoughts: I would play this course again. Sometimes my wife and I go up to Thomasville just to walk around downtown and grab lunch, and this is a nice excuse for me to parlay the trip into something more enjoyable. Nice playground for my daughter as well.

McIntyre Park DGC

2-4    3/20/2009   7/20/2009
Review By: Dixie Boy
Pros: Runs thru the whole park which is a whole city block. Some obstacles of trees. Tees well marked.
Cons: The baskets are just wooden posts. Just hit the post instead of landing in a basket.
Other Thoughts: No one else there anytime I played it.