Berkeley, CA
Aquatic Park Share
Uploaded By: Donovan Hole #3 (Taken 9/2011)

1 2 3 4 5 Next >
 B by the Bay

1    9/18/2003   4/18/2009
Pros: What I like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B-
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- A
Other Thoughts: I ranked this course subjectively based on my own personal enjoyment factor...more accurately my "personal addiction factor". Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they chose courses to play and explore.

Over time, I expect to fill some of my reviews in with more descriptive verbiage...if what I say adds anything to what has already been written. For now, my list is more important to me than the verbiage of my reviews.

Berkeley

2-4    3/7/2009   3/9/2009
Review By: BENFTS
Pros: good tee pads, forced throws over water and hazards, and 18 mach 3 baskets. this course will force you to play outside of your comfort zone, fighting the wind and the very tight layout of this course will prove to be a challenge for experienced players. several holes require a throw over water or offer a very small landing zone. course maps are provided in a box on the first tee pad and bathrooms/water fountain are located about 150' from the first pad.
Cons: wow this course was crowded with lots of non dg traffic. there was a birthday party going on 25' down in the middle of the #1 fairway. there were some layout issues due to the tight confines of the park. lots of panhandling going on but it's Berkeley, so it should be expected as there are lots of people doing this.
Other Thoughts: i played this course twice to make sure that i got it all. it is a very fun course that will play different form all the other courses i have played. something different equals, a pair of street urchins approach me ad ask if they can smoke something other than MJ and cigs with us and ask for my lighter. i concede and give them my lighter and tell them that we don't partake in that sort of fun time and try to send her on her way. after the two urchins smoked something that rhymes with back one of them returned my lighter and said thanks.

this place is tons of fun bet very different. i guess the best mindset to play this course with is that of anything can happen at anytime in Berkeley.

Good local course

5+    2/10/2009   2/13/2009
Review By: RedC
Pros: Berkeley has a fun local course that is both challenging and relaxing. Relatively easy to follow the course. A bit technical for a shorter course. Beautiful view of SF and Golden Gate Bridge. Rarely ever crowded with players.
Cons: Non-golfer traffic is high, but most know your there and get out of the way. Windy days make this a very difficult course. A few good water hazards can force you to use, and lose, older discs. I've lost my share in the drink.
Other Thoughts: Good course on a nice day. Pros out weigh the cons.

Disc thief course

5+    4/4/2006   11/4/2008
Review By: Starwraith169
Pros: Challenges you with the wind, lots of water shots, great Chief spots in the bushes, well maintained
Cons: Lots of foot traffic from walkers and bikers, so long delays waiting for people to get out of the way, really skinny course so lots of running into other groups playing the back nine, local gay hookup spot, so watch your ass when you go into the bushes. I have walked in on something I wish I wouldnt have seen before, Also, the wind can take your disk and and the trees are very thick, so you lose a lot of discs
Other Thoughts: If you lose your discs, you can always buy a cheap one on 18 from people that snatch them from the water for cheap.

Pedestrian Casualties Possible

5+    11/27/2007   11/27/2007
Review By: bneely
This review was updated on 1/5/2010
Pros: Decent variety of left-right and right-left fairways, several very challenging holes. Highlights include hole 2, which is a narrow tunnel for the first 100' and then opens into a field, with a creek 20 feet before the basket, and hole 10, a 240' hole with the first 220' over water.
Cons: Busy pedestrian path runs right through 90% of holes. The portion of the park near holes 9/10/11/12 is a local 'cruiser's hangout', beware going into the bushes to look for discs. The water is fairly gross- have heard stories of infection from people cutting legs when entering to retrieve a disc.
Other Thoughts: Water comes into play on half of the holes, including two with forced carries of 220' plus. In the afternoon, the wind can pick up fiercely. Don't plan on throwing any cherished or hard to replace discs here. Can purchase discs for $3-$5 from a variety of local folks, who fish discs out of the water and the thick bushes on the inland side of the course.

No thought

9/10/2007   11/6/2007
Review By: kevin
Pros: Nearby
Cons: Bilt along the water, not very wide and trees that are hungry for your discs.
Other Thoughts: Prepare to loose your disks