Concord, NC
Uploaded By: jedwards Hole #9

Nice 9 Holer!!

5+    11/17/2012   12/15/2012
Review By: Commish
Pros: Nice long holes. Couple of wide open holes. A short hole thats ace-able! Nice concrete tees.
Cons: JOGGERS!! There is an actual jogging path, but these runners think the disc golf course is their path!! They will run right by you as your are running up the tee box to throw. Other than that, nothin!

Strictly 9-TuneUp

5+    10/6/2012   10/27/2012
Review By: St0rmbringer
This review was updated on 7/26/2013
Pros: Work right and left turns. Work on threading the needle. Give it a ride on #3 and #7 (unless you're a disc cannon).
Mix of open and wooded. Never crowded.
Cons: This summer, the over-abundance of rain has done TWO nasty things to this course: ditches are full but can't hold all the water -- the viny undergrowth grows a foot a day.
Other Thoughts: Course was originally planned to be 18.
Parks Dept ran out of funds before they finished.
Plans to finish the course have been shelved. Instead, a championship-quality course is slated for nearby Frank Liske Park. Reportedly, 18 holes with two longer than 800'.
Don't dis N Cabarrus. It's a really good 9-hole. It's not Bradford or Brackett's but it's not Dorton either.
Park closes at 5 in the winter and 8 in the summer.
BIG NEWS! As a result of suggestions made by tournament participants, #4 has had the left side bamboo trimmed! It's still tough, but possible.

By the way, there have been 4 unsanctioned, but fun tournaments here.

It will do.

5+    8/9/2012   8/10/2012
Review By: mlondon89
Pros: Well for me it's my home course. It's less than two miles down the road. Fairly short but some great shots that really make you think and put some touch on your throw. Hole three is a wide open par 4 that gives you a chance to really rip one without fear of losing it. Great warm up or short on time course!
Cons: While the course isn't usually to busy the park is usually decently filled with runners. There trail winds the course the whole way. During the winter it is very wet!
Other Thoughts: I play this course several times a week since it is close and I'm always short on time. I have heard it is suppose to become an 18 hole soon. I sure hope so!

Warm Up for the Big Boys

1    7/22/2012   7/25/2012
Review By: wkelly42
Pros: Fun layout in a great park setting. North Cabarrus provides a great warm-up for a day of disc golf in Charlotte. Demands accuracy, but there are a couple of open holes, including one that you can open up a bit (nothing high speed, but it IS over 400 feet). Still not for big arms, but not as short as Dorton Park.

The layout is pretty easy to follow -- I only got turned around once, and that was because I wasn't paying attention. Good signage, good tee pads.
Cons: Only nine holes (which is supposed to change soon, I guess).

Other Thoughts: I played North Cabarrus as a warm-up, so it was pretty early in the day. I had the course to myself, which was nice -- I was able to really warm up, and throw multiple shots on most of the holes. My GPS took me the wrong way because of construction on Orphanage Road (you have to get onto Orphanage Rd and head west to get to the park, which means turning right as you get off 85N).

North Cab and Dorton Park have the disadvantage of being in Charlotte, among courses like Renny and Hornet's Nest. In that way, the two nine holers don't quite measure up -- there's only so much you can do with a nine hole layout, after all. There's really not much that can be done short of completing the back nine to bump this course up. It really has everything I want from a nine hole course.

DG in a park

1    5/11/2012   5/22/2012
Review By: New013
Pros: It's a solid 9 holer in a nice city park with a parky park feel.

Layout - The course does give you a mixture of hole types; some open, some wooded, some tightish gap hitters, some you have to work the disc a bit. A couple holes do a fairly good job of creating risk/reward by making the gap you're hitting kinda tight and giving you thick brush and OB to worry about.

The course flows well, it's pretty obvious where to go next and it takes you in a loop back to the parking lot where you started.

I like how it does give you one really big bomber hole, you never really see that on these types of city park 9 holers. There's a couple of really good holes out there. I'd say it's a good course to stop and warm up or if you're strapped for time or just in the area.

Equipment - Newer baskets and really nice large concrete teepads that are flush with the ground, maybe the best pads I've ever seen at a 9 holer. Nice signage that explains the holes.

Atmosphere - It's got that city park feel but it's a super nice city park, looks on the newer side with a good looking pond in the middle of it.
Cons: Layout - It's a pretty short course with the exception of two open holes (#3 and #7) so it doesn't really offer that much of a challenge. Plus the open holes were just open and no little thing extra in there that made them stand out.

They did a good job of working with what they had but it's not a course that will leave you wanting more; I wouldn't go out there just to play it even if I lived 10 minutes from there.

The wooded holes leave a lot to be desired, basically just straighter shots, a few have some shot shaping. The greens and basket locations aren't anything to write home about either.

#4 to me is just ridiculous, they're asking a lot out of a blind shot with thick brush on one side and a creek on the other. The hole is just at an odd angle and for a course like this it made me just want to lay up at the opening and take a 3.

#6 - has got to be the shortest hole in Charlotte, will probably get aced by a million people and be covered in sharpie.

The other thing that really doesn't do it for me is how flat the course is, I like elevation and you won't find it here.

Atmosphere - I tend to lean towards courses with a more secluded feel and this isn't it. You're just another person in the park and I saw a lot of joggers running near holes. It's a nice looking park but not the kind of omg this disc golf course is magnificent kind of look.

The course is also really prone to flooding and holds water terribly because it's so flat.
Other Thoughts: I stopped here on my way in to Charlotte and was glad I did, I got warmed up for a big day of playing much tougher courses. I'd say it's a great warm up course, good for beginners or if you're just in the area.

Holes I liked -

#3 - It's not a great hole but you get to rip one as hard as you can.

#8 - it's a lejit disc golf hole, makes you shape a shot for 300ish feet. really enjoyed that one.

Surprisingly Fun

1    5/17/2012   5/18/2012
Review By: BrotherDave
Pros: Course pretty much floats b/w two extremes, wide open field hole or tight, technical wooded hole. The former is refreshingly longer (as opposed to deuce or die field holes at most 9-holers) while the latter is generally on the shorter side. Some of the nicest concrete tees I've ever played on and the tee signs are easy enough to track down although 1st timers may get turned around if they're not paying attention.

The nice thing about this course are the open holes, they actually have some length for you to air it out and try to reach the pin. One (hole #3) has a nice little creek that's kind of hidden from the tee, sneaky.

This is basically just a really fun way to kill some time in a beautiful park. Rec and lower Intermediate players will be moderately challenged but most players should deuce or die.

Words cannot express how nice this park is, they even had a sign telling you the air quality for the day.
Cons: The only complaint with hole # 3 is that at 473', it could be a bit of a NAGS (Not A Golf Shot) for some players that can reach 350' or so.

Hole #4 is a strange hole. Starts open, then you have to hit a hallway ~100' away that's flanked by a bamboo wall on the left and a wooded creek on the right. My first thought was layup at the gap, which is never a good sign for a <300' hole. Upon further review of the hole, there might actually be a line to the pin besides the most needle threading one straight down the fairway. Gaps in the canopy might make a spike hyzer feasible but be prepared to lose a disc in the creek if you fall short. The other problem with this hole is that it turns subtly but sharply, making half the hole completely blind from the tee. I had a jogger dude come straight down the fairway and if I had rifled a driver in there, it would not have been good. A sign warning park patrons not to jog down that path would be great.

Hole #6 is a dinky filler hole, but it's not terrible. There's enough trees, angle and distance to keep it from feeling completely like a jump putt and sometimes these awkwardly short holes can be tricky to power down on.

Mud can be a problem, much of this course plays alongside a nice creek that appears to overflow after heavy rains. Mud is actually invading the tee for hole #6, an erosion barrier might be nice in the future.

Hole #9 is a LHBH griplock away from getting the course pulled, there is playground right there and although there are some trees as a barrier, it looks quite permeable.
Other Thoughts: This is one of the best 9 holers I've ever played actually. If you're roadtripping through Charlotte and want to squeeze in a quick warm-up round, this is a great course for that. The fact the distances jumped up and down really helped keep the holes from feeling monotonous, a plague of most 9-holers.

Signature Hole: #4 although this is more for WTF? factor than anything.

Fave Hole: #8 is possibly the prettiest and most shaded hole on the course. It's a finesse BH turnover or anny that rewards good execution and punishes bad ones fairly. Just don't accidentally reach for a black snake when you go to pick your disc like my brother did.

decent

5+    5/10/2012   5/10/2012
Review By: BraveThrower43
Pros: This course has great teepads and signage.

There is a lot of variety of woods and open shots with some minor elevation change on the first two holes.

It seems well kept up overall by the staff of the park. I enjoy 7/9 holes on the course.
Cons: Holes 4 and 6 are kinda downers. for starters 4 is an odd line that is what I think is the perfect example of a tweener hole. It turns at an odd angle and then goes straight for 200 feet. I have never seen anyone get within 150' of this pin.

Hole 6 is just a filler hole that takes away from the rest of the course imo. it is just a short upshot around a corner and seems to kill the vibe of the round.

This course can be VERY muddy after a rainstorm.

Other Thoughts: This is one of the better 9 holers i have played however holes 4 &6 are just buzzkills for me. I think that if you are in this area you are better served to drive 10 more min to Bradford park which is a very solid course. Unless you are a courses played junky this one is not a destination course.

The eventual Move to 18 holes(which acourding to P&R will not happen in the next few years) may make this course more worth the while

2-4    3/19/2012   3/19/2012
Review By: Atreyu
Pros: The park overall is very nice and family oriented. The grounds are well kept. The baskets are very nice. There isn't very much graffiti around. Beginners and some intermediate players will find this course nice to play on. I practice my mid range game here and really only use a driver on holes 3 and 7. The scenery is very nice as well as seeing the horses kept around hole 3. I could definitely see families playing this course during the summer.
Cons: I didn't use a variety of shots...most holes are meant for rhbh players. Hole #8 is the only hole that curves right. The footage on the signs are way off. I think they could have used the space a lot better as there are open areas not being used. The opening on hole #4 is tough to hit and many discs end up in the bamboo. I've hit the gap once out of 4 times. The walking rails go right down some of the fairways and its frustrating waiting for people to walk down paths. Not a lot of benches, but you don't need them.
Other Thoughts: Overall, its a decent course. I play it when I'm waiting to pick my gf up from work, otherwise I probably wouldn't go. I'd like to see it expanded and more variety of shots...I think that could significantly improve the course.

Beautiful day, nasty course.

1    3/6/2012   3/6/2012
Review By: chefjeff315
Pros: Beautiful grounds, in general a very nice and clean park. Large concrete teepads were really appreciated today (see the rest of the review). Nice variety of shots needed, good practice for this beginner.
Cons: Very MUDDY and wet everywhere....almost as if it used to be swampland. Had a very hard time working on technique as we were slipping and sliding on almost every hole; I did wrench my back because of it on one shot. 2 women walking ahjead of us as we finished 7 and went to 8 were allowed to get ahead of us as we were catching our breath and getting a drink, but then they turned OFF the walking path and went right down the hole 7 fairway and green, directly in front of us, knowing we were playing yet they didn't care a bit and just took their own sweet time, delaying our progress for the 8, yes 8 minutes it took them to walk the 347 feet. very inconsiderate. Navigation was terrible; we walked the wrong way looking for tee # 6 when we had been 5 feet in front of it but couldn't see it for the undergrowth.
Other Thoughts: I did like the variety of shots this course requires. Lots of opportunities to practice hammer throws as I was constantly in the woods because I had a very hard time keeping my feet when throwing. I will play this course again, however, when I'm sure it's dry. Loved hole #4 with the bamboo tunnel and dogleg left along the creek.

Great 9 hole course

5+    9/27/2011   10/8/2011
Review By: scottlarson
This review was updated on 4/26/2012
Pros: Great variety of shots. Half of the time you're in the woods and half the time your in the open field. Advanced players will stay entertained while beginners will not despair. Well maintained, safe park. All tee signs have been moved to the side or behind the pads. Funds are being raised to make this an 18 hole course.
Cons: I've never gotten par on hole 4 (par 3), and hole 6 is barely 100 ft (also par 3). Some holes get sloppy after it rains, but they pour gravel in the worst spots from time to time - still don't play after a big rain. Little elevation change, but that's because the whole park is fairly level to begin with. This park has tons people walking on the main loop. An errant throw could be dangerous, but you'd really have to shank one. Even though there are always people playing golf, some people still like to walk on the fairways. Had one group walking towards us on #6 take their sweet time, and just when we thought they were going to be out of our way, they stopped just in front of the tee to look at the creek.
Other Thoughts: First Tee is 150 feet directly behind the Bathrooms

Hole 1 - tee pad tilted uphill. Keep straight and under the Oak tree's branches and you'll be in good shape.

Hole 2 - throwing between two wooded areas then left to the hole. Beautiful for RHBH.

Hole 3 - par 4 - let 'r rip! If it just rained, make sure you get over the water in the ditch; It's not deep, but I've seen people lose their disc.

Hole 4 - Throw into the opening in the bamboo; do not stray from the path! Once you're in the woods, throw your straightest disc, keep it low, and say a prayer that it ends up puttable.

Hole 5 - Long slow left curve next to a creek. If you go right...your in the creek. If you throw a roller...your in the creek. If you go left you'll end up lumberjacking your way to the basket.

Hole 6 - 100 ft dogleg left to the basket. I figure they put this here to raise your spirits after the last 2 holes.

Hole 7 - par 4 - Grip and rip. Basket is just over the crest tof the hill. Easy to over-throw your approach.

Hole 8 - great for LHBH narrow dogleg right; gets wider the closer you get to the basket. Miss to the left if you can't stay in the clearing... at least then you'll still have a clear shot.

Hole 9 - level, open field with the basket straight ahead.