Quakertown, PA
Unami Creek Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: raynger27 Hole #4 (Taken 5/2014)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Forgotten Potential

1    5/21/2018   5/24/2018
Review By: geocyclist
Pros: Good location in township park, great use of elevation. Holes 8 and 9 were playable, challenging, and enjoyable.
Cons: Practically no maintenance has been done to make this course playable. Holes 1 and 2 throw through a field of 4' tall grass with an 8' wide 'fairway' cut through the middle with baskets off the field in a swamp or on an overgrown hillside. Holes 3 through 7 were all overgrown, some with poor drainage. I lost the course on hole 6, could not find the basket at all, thankfully the nature trail took me to 7's basket so that I could find 8.
Other Thoughts: This course has a lot of potential, but it needs to be maintained and some drainage issues corrected. The nature trail that runs through the course area is a nice hike and good to keep you on course.

Only Quaker Masochist’s Need Apply!

1    5/1/2018   5/1/2018
Pros: The Unami Disc Golf Course combines intermediate challenge with advanced level frustration. The course starts in the back of the little park just beside the hockey rink. You start off with a bang and this is also is a preview of what lies ahead. # 1 is a 681' bomb downhill on a medium sized fairway. The DGA basket, with the hole # on top, is then set back about 80' to the right of the fairway. This hole is fun but also takes a certain skill level. There is a marshy rough on your right.

The tee pads are rubber mat. There are small metal signs giving you the hole #, distance and par. # 2 then plays back at 387' with the basket sitting about 50' up the hillside.

# 3 is slightly uphill at 225'. The fairway is tight and the right side is a steep slope down to the creek.

# 4 plays 215' into an abyss. I couldn't visually locate the basket. The terrain below seems to be a fire swamp of some sort. In the words of the immortal Abraham Lincoln, "There is no ~_£[^§|£ way I am throwing my disc into that crapola." There are about a million of these skinny saplings growing up here just ready to reach up and slap your disc down into the marshy, boggy, swamp.

# 5 then plays 354' up through a very tight and technical fairway.

# 6 is 310' down a tiny little fairway. The skinny saplings are seemingly everywhere. To make the hole even more unpleasant, the basket lurks behind a huge rock.

# 7. I never was able to locate the tee pad. I think I was sick the day they taught jungle navigation at Ranger School. I did somehow stumble upon the basket, however.

# 8 is then a 306' playing through a pretty area strewn with large boulders. If I hadn't been so mentally beaten down by now, I might have enjoyed this hole. Also, if I had a spotter or two with me.

You finish with # 9, a short, 196' throw straight up a steep hillside. By now, the only thing I needed was my bed, my binky and a good sports therapists.
Cons: This course definitely lacks the fun factor. Suffering beatdown after beatdown is not my idea of fun. These nasty saplings are everywhere and stand 3' to 20' and are an ever present aggravation on most of the course. Add the nasty little stickers vines that are everywhere trying to tear your legs to shreds and I couldn't get out of here fast enough. The 2nd fairway was very marshy. Boots recommended.

Unami Creek Disc Golf Course should come with the following warning label;

WARNING! This course is not suitable for families, recreational players, mature recreational players, girlfriends, the handicapped, players playing with one disc, newbies, anyone in short pants, and definitely, no wives allowed.

So that leaves as the target audience here...16-35 year old serious players who drive 350' and want to be challenged and who have a sponsor.
Other Thoughts: The area down near the creek was really quite lovely and peaceful. The rest of the course could some major thinning, especially the saplings. Throwing blindly hole after hole into disc grabbing saplings cannot be anyone idea of a fun time. Spending countless hours hunting for your discs cannot be fun.

There aren't many courses that I wouldn't frequent if I lived close but this one that I can't imagine playing again no matter how close I lived. So the question is? How many masochist's live in Quakertown? And how many of those masochist's are Quakers? Masochistic Quaker Disc Golfers? That has to be rather small fraternity.

That awesome little course, Bootlegger's Cave is less than four miles away. That's where I'd be playing.

Potentially good if kept up

1    4/16/2018   4/16/2018
Review By: Nfauce
Pros: The pins are not always straight ahead, which allows for different throws. And there are a fair amount of obstacles which don't make it too easy.
Pins are nice mach3s and I like the rubber mat idea
Tee signs are nice but unhelpful some times
Cons: The course is so overgrown it's hard to walk to the pin sometimes. It's very poorly kept up if it is at all which really makes it less appealing and fun. Also its hard to figure out where the next hole is on a few holes, having "next tee" signs would be a good idea!
Other Thoughts: This neat little 9 hole course has a great amount of potential and could give this little community a leg up over others like it. But in present condition, nobody would play this more than once, if they finished it at all! Really needs a cleanup crew and to be consistently kept up with. Such a shame it looks like nobody cares about it

Glory Days Long Past It, Needs a Club to Adopt It

1    1/10/2018   1/16/2018
Review By: itsRudy
This review was updated on 1/18/2018
Pros:
-Holes 1 & 8.
-Lots of unexploited potential.
-Super long tees with rubber tees, horse stall style rubber mats.
-Decent Tee Signs, although not always helpful without noticeable landmarks.
-Scenic view of the river, especially by Hole 3, 4, and 8.
-Looking at a map, would have room to expand to 12 easily, if not a full 18.
Cons:
-Holes 4, 6 and to lesser extent 7.
-Definitely print out a map, at the least, but I was super glad I had a smartphone app finding the next tee for me.
-Tees, being black mats, framed by dark wood and often a distance away from previous basket and trail, can be hard to find in this forest. Suggest painting the framing wood some neon color.
-On this course, especially, the Grey Baskets just seem to melt camouflaged into the surroundings visually from a distance, since fairways aren't really being maintained so the scenery all blend together into one blur. In the interim, poles could be painted some neon color.
-Definitely could use Signs on the baskets for next tee.
-Need Signs along the path for next tee and basket direction.
-Not a foul weather course, parts of course reminscent of nearby Nockamixon or Bootlegger's Cave with steep elevation, stoney, and uneven ground. Do not go if rain, snow or ice on ground.
-Wineberries (thorn bushes) and burs after Hole 3.
-Not always clear exactly where the basket is from its tee, which don't always seem laid exactly perpendicular to them, particularly Tee 4.
I'm rather amazed how often this 9 hole course in middle of an older suburbia is reviewed, but judging from the dates, its glory days were pre-2012 before Hurrican Sandy hit. It definitely has not come back.

Parking is adequate at 40.432735, -75.396687. First tee is between and past the Pavillion and Basketball court/Street Hockey Rink at 40.431212, -75.396061.

I played here in the dead of winter and it seems to be the best time of year when forest and field vegetation is at a minimal, but it was still very trying after Hole 3.

Hole 1 is the most impressive and longest by far, with a 681 foot shot down a quick 60ish foot steep drop, an angle of incline you may see on a ski-lift going up a mountain, to a flat long field until a small wooden bridge leads to a basket a bit into the forest on the right. If all the holes were like this, it would be a highly rated course indeed. This was the first but not last hole that could use a sign pointing from general fairway to the basket. Spray paint on the side of the bridge would suffice.

Hole 2 is an across the field shot and into and up a narrow open pocket of forest hill its last 30 feet. The rest of the course is in the forest.

Hole 3 is a curved alley shot with the basket on a short mound on the left, errant disc won't be too troubling here as the sides are forgiving. A tree obviously fell on the basket and it was never restored, foretelling trouble ahead. When I went, we had a bout of particularly cold weather (10F range for over a week) leaving the river frozen white and it was quite a view, really a nice area and feels unbelievably large and isolated for a suburban park.

Hole 4. Just walk past it. The tee is not aimed at the basket which for the life of me I could not locate from there and was throwing blind. It's a downhill shot with foliage in the way, but massive storm damage and felled trees make nearly the entire way treacherous and what's more, even perfectly navigated shots don't seem to have a viable path as far as easy disc retrieval is concerned. I shot adequately past the tree trunks, but one of the myriad of small branches snagged it and it took an unbelievably long amount of time to navigate the area and find the disc. A trail to the right bypasses the storm damage, I advise using it to just skip the hole entirely.

Tee 5 was hard to find, left of the path. I missed it more than once. The hole was okay, standard forest fare.

Hole 6 is another skip. 50 feet into on is a huge mass of thorny wineberry bushes, off to the right, but in the meantime in the fairway itself. The stuff pretty much infests the entire length of the hole. Too bad, I liked that the basket was behind a tall boulder.

The path from Basket 6 to Hole 7 is like a little basic training obstacle with storm damaged wood littering the ground. Some wineberries are along this hole but nothing like Hole 6. Basket to the right. Especially here, the ground was uneven, perhaps too many leaves or something stacking up on forest floor.

Holes 8 and 9 are the inevitable uphills to finish back at the pavillion. I really liked hole 8, with some big rock outcroppings that, if I had more time, I'd like to just lounge on, chill, and enjoy the same view as Hole 3. Hole 9 is the steeper of the two.

The course has fun holes interspersed by aggravation caused by neglect and storm disaster, the potential is there but needs work and TLC. In short, it needs a functioning club to adopt it and make it their own. I live quite a bit away but if someone rings me up (via forum) around March but before Spring is in full bloom, I could volunteer a day to paint or help move wood.

Right now, it's a 1.5 or maybe even almost a borderline 2 in dead of winter, but I cannot foresee it being more than a 1 the rest of the year in its current condition.

Messy

2-4    2/7/2017   2/7/2017
Review By: stinkfingers76
Pros: Hole 1 nice opening drive down hill
Cons: With all brush and trees down could use arrows or something to help find next hole . After hole 1 and 2 it's very congested with lots of Pickers n wild trees . Hole 4 The sign says the baskets on the right but clearly on left it's a big risk Evan throwing towards basket with trees and large Area full of pickers all around those trees if ur unfortunate to go in there no really good ways to get down there. If it had a good pathway going from pad down towards basket it won't be bad. The pads are nice in dry weather once there wet very slippery real hard to get footing
Other Thoughts: Maintain maintain maintain this course could be decent but until it gets cleaned it's not worth it 2 me

Unami Jungle

1    5/24/2015   5/28/2015
Review By: sidewinder22
Pros: 9 rubber tees and decent signage and Mach III baskets. Navigation was fairly easy if you pay attention to the tee signs. The terrain was reminiscent of Nockamixon. Great use of the available elevation and rock formations. Good variety of open and wooded holes and required line shaping.
Cons: Maintenance is almost non-existent and a couple baskets were in sorry shape. Holes 1 and 2 have a 10' wide mowed "fairway" for holes that are play 500' long with tall grass up to my head on both sides and it was only the beginning of summer. I lost my drive on hole 1 to the right rough with the poison ivy(note to error to the left into the tall grass). I also lost my drive on hole 4 after hitting a tree and kicking right. Hole 4 is tough to navigate around the fairway with the marsh and rocks/debris and poison ivy. Hole 2 has a fair amount of poison around the basket and there was a fair amount of poison around much of the course. Occasional hikers passing through parts of the course. I don't recall seeing any bathrooms or portapotty in the park.
Other Thoughts: Overall Unami Creek has so much wasted potential due to lack of maintenance that she's lost that loving feeling. Hole 1 looked pretty awesome from the elevated tee, but the 10' wide mowed fairway was not so appealing. I didn't' bother throwing a drive on hole 7 because the rough looked like a jungle and didn't feel like losing a 3rd disc or getting poison ivy. Holes 8 and 9 were the only holes without underbrush. Hole 8 was my favorite with the basket tucked behind the big rock formation and has a fast green behind the basket. It's a shame that the rough here is so overgrown and nobody seems to be taking care of the course. I'd only recommend playing this course in the dead of winter unless someone or club takes this course under their wing and nurtures it back to health.

Unami what?

1    8/16/2014   8/16/2014
Review By: joeypm
Pros: They say the pros play here? Saw it on youtube and have wanted to play it. Finally convinced friend and newbie to play it!
Cons: Course was a mess.
Grass was very high.
Every hole we had to search for disc's
Left after hole 6
Other Thoughts: Might on the very outside chance try it again in the late fall. Since we live in the lehigh valley there are better courses near by. I hope other courses we travel to are better maintained. We had to take the newbie to covered bridges just so he wouldn't get discouraged!
NOT GOOD FOR THE SPORT!!

No Identity

5+    5/12/2014   5/15/2014
Review By: patlgn
Pros: Starts off with a dramatic downhill shot, and one more open hole, the rest is playing through hilly, boulder-strewn woods- so there's some variety. The layout is pretty interesting and challenging, mostly due to the woods though. The tee signs show the layout of each hole fairly well, though I due feel like you get the wrong impression with some of them.

Cons: Only 9 holes. Sorry, but that is a deterrent.

Despite the variety mentioned above, I find several of the wooded holes in the middle (5-8) to be kind of boring and repetitive. Mostly just straight fairways with lots of trees.

The course was in really bad shape after some storms, and has been getting better, but is still not very well maintained. In addition, if there's been any rain recently some of the holes turn into swamps. Hole 4 in particular is a mess- when I say swamp I don't mean lots of mud, I mean an actual swamp.

Some of the walks between holes can be confusing.
Other Thoughts: Has potential, but at the moment it's just a poorly-maintained, repetitive 9-holer.

A Great 9

1    4/7/2014   4/11/2014
Review By: Bleeder973
Pros: The length of the course is good. Hole 1 being the longest and providing a good indication of what your game is honestly like. It's pretty obvious that a TON of work has been done to this course with the widespread carnage in the park itself, but only minor evidence on the holes themselves. The layout is good and play through is fluid and fun. Plenty of opportunity to showcase any shot in your bag. Nice FlyMats on the tees to give you a nice start to each hole.
Cons: Was a bit confused getting to hole 2 from 1 but not by any means difficult to do. I played in the rain which did nothing to compliment the nice FlyMats. I slipped on each mat on my tee shots. Hole 4 where the debris field is still laying can be a little challenging to traverse. I imagine when growth comes in disc loss is a real factor and a great way to have incentive to throw your discs calculated.
Other Thoughts: This being one of the last courses close to my home that I've played, I'm kind of glad I waited on this one. For me, this 9 hole course is perfect. Providing just about everything I want to throw on a course. Grip it and rip it on hole 1 and 2. Technical on most others. A big congrats to the folks putting in the time, energy and funding to make this course possible. I'll be here pretty often!

A work in progress. . .

1    10/15/2013   10/15/2013
Review By: TSivhar
This review was updated on 10/17/2013
Pros: Primarily this review is an update on storm damage residual from Oct 2012. There are 8 playable holes. Basket not yet replaced on #3... play ahead to #4. Provisional/ temp teeboxes on two holes (I think #4 and #6), but they function fine. #4 temp tee is just a few yards in front of the former box which is obstructed by heavy deadfall. The 8 holes play fine though there is added risk of disc loss on several woodland holes due to deadfall debris. #1 is long and strongly downhill, #2 and #9 uphill drives. Fun layout, hopefully returns to normalcy before long. Several tight woodland drives and elevation challenges.
Cons: Risk of disc loss substantial, particularly now w/ widespread hurricane deadfall. At least some chance of disc loss on most of the holes. Poison ivy here and there, including the meadow left of fairway on #1.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5