San Angelo, TX
Hole #3 Approach

nice little course

1    4/26/2017   4/28/2017
Review By: Pizza God
Pros: Good baskets
Nice use of the "rough" part of the park
Best tee pads in the area, even has the distance marked in the tee pad.
Cons: hard to find basket one the first time, same with finding the tee box for hole 3. After that, it was a little hard to find hole 8's. The rest were easy to follow.

Navigation for holes 1 to 3 is rough to say the least. The grass is knee high and there is a lot of west Texas rough. I mean I wish I was not wearing shorts. Specially trying to get down the hill on hole 3 to cross the creek.
Other Thoughts: In general, this is a fun course

Hole 1 is a longer hole ACROSS the creek and 1/2 way up the hill on the other side. I had no idea where the basket was until I walked across the creek and around the trees blocking the view of the basket. This is a blind shot that I guess the left to right shot is the shot you need. The basket is on a huge man made rock formation. Makes it interesting.

Hole 2 is to the left and is a nice short shot up the side of the hill. Lots of things to scratch your legs up as you try to get to your tee shot.

I printed out a map and the wind blew it away. I had a hard time finding hole 3 tee box. It is on top of the hill and down a little ways farther than you would think. The elevated tee shot (HUGE elevated tee shot for Texas) is a HUGE right to left shot to the hill on the manicured part of the park. Navigation to get to the rocks to cross the creek was not easy here.

You should already found tee box 4 because it is next to hole 1. Simple shot with the bathroom and a disc eating tree to throw under. (yea, my disc got stuck in the tree)

Hole 5, simple little shot with the road on the left, picnic tables on the right and you are throwing down the walking path. not a good hole if anyone is using the park.

Hole 6 is a good hole if you like risk reward shots. If you turn over your left to right or the wind does not let it come back, your disc is lost. Basket is pretty close to the river and the fairway is basically over the river. I sort of lost a disc I found on hole 3 on this hole.

Hole 7 Danger danger all on the right side of the fairway and the road on the left. Walking path and bench in the fairway. Again, as long as no one else is in the park, it can be a fun risk reward type of shot. As for me, I threw layup and almost overthrow my upshot into the river. it was stuck on the bank rough.

Hole 8 is a fun hole through a group of trees into an open area with the basket on the right and road on the left. Perfect for a short roller if the wind is not howling like today.

Hole 9 is a basic shot into a group of trees, you have a fence behind the hole so make a run at it and take an easy bird.

Would I play this course again? I think I would. I don't like the water holes 6 and 7 because I don't like to loose discs, but I enjoyed my round, the course has a lot of variety.

1    7/20/2013   8/17/2013
Review By: tkmcdougal
Pros: The baskets and tee pads were in excellent condition. I really like the elevation that this course presents. The locals were nice and really helpful with navigation. The course is short but still presents it's challenges starting at hole 1 where you have to throw over a creek and the trees. Hole 7 is challenging with the creek on the right hand side all the way to the basket. I loved hole 7 and the risk/reward shot. You can either go over the water and get the bird, or go straight and play it safe.
Cons: Navigation would of been a little difficult if the local mini was not taking place, where I could ask questions. Hole 1 was tough because the trees were so tall that throwing over them was tough without a tomahawk. Be careful on 2-4 with the crazy elevation, it is steep. When throwing across the creek on hole 4, walk back to hole 3's fairway and go down the path from there to cross the creek. The path from 4's tee pad is extremely steep. I didn't like the tee pad location on hole 8, right by the fence, where if you throw it over there is no getting it back.

Unexpectedly good course

1    6/25/2013   6/25/2013
Review By: Schlangewurst
Pros: -Well laid out
- Good variety of shots with elevation change. I really liked how you have to throw off the cliff and across the "river" on the 3rd hole.
- Good concrete tee pads with distances marked.
- Arrows pointing the direction of the next tee at the base of the hole.
- The river came into play on the first 7 holes
Cons: - Only 9 holes

5+    5/28/2013   5/28/2013
Review By: TheHipstick
Pros: Nice concrete tee pads. Nice layout with a variety of up and down, left and right. A good amount of risky shots that is worth the payoff. Plus some water which always makes things interesting.
Cons: Only 9 hole course. A lot of OB that comes into play. Hole 7 has a chainlink fence that runs right beside the hole, and if it goes over the fence you have to climb and jump over to get your disc.
Other Thoughts: Fun course. If your in town you should play the course.

Play this course, its worth your time

1    7/17/2012   7/20/2012
Review By: JerryChesterson
Pros: The layout on this course is really fun. An average advanced level player could shoot -7 or +4. There's that much risk/reward involved in several of the holes. The course was very well maintained. I very much enjoyed playing this course. There's a lot of water on the course, which I like.
Cons: Its only 9 holes. If this thing was 18 I'd give it 4.5.
Other Thoughts: This is a fun course. If you are in San Angelo and can only play one course, I'd play this one twice.

Fun Littel 9 Hole

1    5/15/2010   11/5/2010
Review By: bumpspeed
Pros: Nicely maintained course. NOT a drive-approach-putt course. There are some decent birdie/ace shots if you've got the arm.
Cons: Can be a bit tight, especially when there are others using the park. DG'ers are definitely looked at as 2nd class citizens and nobody gets out of your way.
Other Thoughts: Having family about 30 miles outside Angelo makes this a fun course to play to get away. Is always on my To-Do list when in town.

Great Little Course

1    6/9/2010   6/9/2010
Review By: BewareOfPenguin
Pros: Hole numbers and distance info are stamped into the concrete tees. The direction from one basket to the following tee is marked in the basket base. Both of these things score big with me. For the most part, this is a very pretty park. The close proximity of the Concho river to the course forces disciplined shots...unless you're a fan of wading for discs. There are plenty of trees on the course to bump the difficulty level. Hole #1 is a bit deceptive. I placed a fairly safe tee shot near the bank of the river with a good look at the basket. But still managed to fling my disc into the cattails and had to get into the water. Not all that pleasant. Hole #3 features an awesome elevated tee shot.
Cons: The nearby river is a bit stagnant and murky in places. Wading within is no fun, as I found out personally. There is poison ivy in the vicinity of holes 1 and 2, though these areas are posted. The fairways for some of the holes coincide with the walking trail and border the street.
Other Thoughts: I really liked this course. I definitely have plans to return and play it again the next time I'm in town. But here's a bit of advice: The bathroom.....DON"T GO NEAR IT!!!

5+    9/18/2008   2/22/2009
Review By: biggio1
Pros: Cement tees, small river water at all times. Several trees and some great elevation. A nice cliff shot. Many side arm shots and lots of non water OB.
Cons: You can loose a disc and the water is not the cleanest stuff to jump in. I have!
Other Thoughts: San Angelo's best course at the time until they get the 5th course built!

Picnic Bend

1    11/12/2008   11/12/2008
Review By: rich
Pros: The course was alot more difficult than it looked. Hole 1 was pretty tough just because where the water is located. I really loved throwing off the cliff at hole 3 just be careful on the way down.
Cons: Way to many damn stickers as with any course in West Texas I suppose. A few holes are prime for losing disc (I lost 2 in the water on 6). I enjoyed the rough terrain but some might not enjoy the steep rocky slopes like I did. Also there is the occasional guy heckling you from his balcony in the ghetto apartments on the cliff when you miss your putt or lose a disc on 6.