San Diego, CA
Morley Field Share
Uploaded By: Scott L. Kuhns Hole #19 (Taken 1/2012)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 11

1    9/22/2018   9/22/2018
Review By: Breh
Pros: Has a nice pro shop. Very well maintained, multiple pin locations to keep it fresh. Some really fun technical shots. Great pads and baskets with flags on top, so you can see the pin from pad. Beautiful setting with some cool shots/elevation change. Makes you throw different shots
Cons: No real holes to air it out but great technical course. Main issue I have is some fairways cross and this course gets a ton of player traffic.
Other Thoughts: Most players were very nice and yelling fore is big here as a lot of fairways are close and the place is very crowded with all skill set of players. However a great course and would love to play anyway

California Knows How to Party

1    9/11/2018   9/21/2018
Review By: DonJuanDeLaNooch
Pros: On Site Pro Shop
Cool California Foliage--Palm Trees!!
Great community feel
Great mix of holes
Sense of Nostalgia
Cons: Small space overall be prepared to dodge errant shots and to yell Fore!!!
Other Thoughts: I arrived at the course about 6:15 and was still not the first one there on a Tuesday. The reports about the course getting crowded are spot on. The people I met while playing there were all very cool just like the course itself. This was the first time I had played a course quite like this. Being from Texas our courses even when tight and technical have enough space between fairways that you don't really have to worry about errant shots. If you are in the San Diego area its a must do. Very highly recommended. I loved it. I will play it again the next time I'm in the area without a doubt.

Great Old School Golf!

1    2/24/2018   9/11/2018
Review By: armiller
Pros:
- fun shots (predominantly "hit your line for two" golf but those lines are a blast)
- good disc golf amenities (tees, signs, baskets, multiple pin locations, pro shop) and impeccable course maintenance (including rotation among many pin locations)
- although busy, it's dedicated disc golf property
Cons:
- busy busy busy! (i.e. wait times unless you're here off peak hours, higher than average chance of hitting or being hit by errant discs, crowded parking)
- holes are fairly short, though this is forgivable with the technicality
- holes are generally crowded together, with overlap to some fairways and several baskets located relatively close to other tees
This is a disc golf only property on the northeast edge of San Diego's famous Balboa Park. The property itself, and the experience, is pretty unique. The land is crowded both in terms of the holes (cuz they've really maximized this space) and the people (I got here around 8am on a Saturday and it was jam-packed). There's a very nice pro shop where you pay an entrance fee and can fill any lacks in your bag (I bought a nice Z Undertaker here).

Overall, I found the atmosphere very casual. There were tons of disc golfers, and about half appeared very new, alongside some more experienced players. Everyone was having a good time, and the relaxed atmosphere may have contributed to wait times. I had planned to get here earlier and play twice, but I ended up taking off after one round. No regrets, but I left to hit up some other good (and less busy) courses in the area. From CCDG Ian Anderson's Google review: "... really busy on the weekends. Get there before 8:30 am if you can." I agree.

The golf is extremely fun. Some hole locations are very short, and it's "old school" disc golf -- there's almost always a good line that can get you a two. The golf is done well, and there's enough challenge and variation that it's a lot of fun. Terrain and vegetation wise, it's similar to most courses in area. There are slight changes in elevation with California desert-type trees that are big enough to create good disc golf holes. Fairways are grassy and/or dusty. I ended up tagging along with two different groups of locals, and it helped tremendously that they knew the pin locations. As a side note, this would be a great home course because there are so many pin locations that it can be a very different course on different days given many different pin configurations.

I find only 10 courses on DGCR with 100 or more reviews and this is Morley Field's 100th. The others are a Who's Who of longstanding, popular and even legendary courses, e.g. Flip City, Idlewild, Blue Ribbon Pines, Mt. Airy, and Beaver Ranch. In other words, this is one of disc golf's popular and beloved courses. It's a classic in a populated area, and it's likely one of the most played courses in the world. Of those other 10, only Golden Gate Park and Idlewild have been played by more people (at least according to DGCR). Whether you're a bagger, disc golf history buff, or just a fan of fun courses, you too should get out here.

Rating: I'm going 3.5 for "very good." The golf itself may be a bit better, but it's just a little bit too crowded (both in terms of population and space) for me to go much higher. Nevertheless, if I'm back in San Diego this will be the first course I play (during off peak hours, if possible).

Beautiful Morley Field

2-4    6/28/2018   7/1/2018
Review By: wolito
Pros: What a great location and setting! This park is incredibility maintained! The trees and brush definately come into play on most of the holes. Enough shot variety from big hyzers to low ceiling shots. There is slight hills throughout the course which add some character. Most holes are easy enough to get a par 3 on each. Tee signage was great, with stickers indicating basket location of which are moved weekly. Most holes have 4+ locations. Tee pads are a mix of cement with mats on top and worked well. Discatcher baskets in great shape with flags on top to indicate location and hole number. Pro shop on site with disc and snacks to sale. Nice scorecard provided with daily tag.
Cons: Knowing that land value is at a premium in Cali, I would like to see a longer/bigger course. Most holes are on the shorter side, about 300 feet. Not much chances to really let your distance drivers to fly. A fairway driver would probably be sufficient for this course i.e. Leopard or even midranges. This place gets packed! I got there right at 700am and was first on the course but by the time I was done, the small parking lots was already full with about 20 cars at 830 in the morning on a Wednesday! A good course for sure, but also because there is a lack of good alternatives in the area. I think pay to play may keep some of the traffic down.
Other Thoughts: Such a beautiful looking and maintained course! Everything was in great shape and well taken care of. I certainly enjoyed my time on the course and would love to play it again sometime. It has stuff to offer both a beginner and seasoned player alike. Longer length holes would help it out a bit. A really good course that gets used a lot for good reason.

home course

5+    6/2/2018   6/2/2018
Review By: quillan
Pros: .short holes
.good baskets
.trashcans on each hole
.fun holes
.challenging holes
Cons: .slippery tee pads
.no brooms on every hole
.crowded all the time
.no parking
Other Thoughts: some people at morely are staying at the benches without paying for a play band. (especially on hole 9)

Pure Disc Golf Shots

2-4    3/14/2018   3/19/2018
Review By: listentomorejazz
Pros: -Concrete Tee Pads in good shape
-Multiple basket positions which are updated weekly
-Great Variety in shot selection
-Enormous variety in elevation, used effectively
-Terrific community
-Course is in superb shape
-Primarily Disc Golf only
-Minimal Possibility for losing a disc
-Signage is good, navigation was good enough
Cons: -Course plays on top of itself; most holes are interfered with another hole, to the point where safety becomes an issue
-Because of the above, along with the popularity of the course, wait times can be egregious
-Single tee pad/single basket position (make sense for the course, but a 5 start course needs multiple)
Other Thoughts: I played 2 rounds in a single day and was thrilled by the afternoon.
Morley Field has what I like to call "Pure Disc Golf Shots." Those shots where you can blast a Roc and watch its full flight, but with danger abounding if the shot is off.
Previous reviewers comments about blind shots are well merited. If I had not have had a guide, my experience may have been hampered. But a course this crowded, it's hard to not find a guide or meet up with someone who can show you the way.
The course was also very, very well maintained (shout out to Chris who acted as my guide for the first round). The locals and the club really care about this course and it shows- no litter, the lines are clean, the grass is mowed, the trees are in great shape. This is part of the benefit of pay to play (notice that was not in my list of cons).
One thing I found astounding was that a number of the "trees" are simply dead trees or large limbs that have been cemented into place to create the fairway the designer wanted. It was done very tastefully and I never would have known- that CA weather does interesting things to plants...
Very physically demanding for being all par 3s. A lot of up and down hills.
Would recommend playing the course highly, I sincerely enjoyed it and wish I could have seen all the possible pin positions. Would make for a terrific home course.

Old School DG Done Right... For the Most Part

5+    10/27/2017   11/1/2017
Review By: endermetal
This review was updated on 9/19/2018
Pros: Situated in the northeast corner of Balboa Park, Morley Field is THE course to play if you find yourself in the area. It is an icon of San Diego disc golf and one of the oldest disc golf courses in the world.

Each hole offers beautiful, sculpted fairways with tons of different vegetation (my favorite being the Jacarandas when they're in bloom), and plenty of personality. I find that most holes usually offer a couple of different lines, and several different shots may be needed to get the absolute best score.

The pin positions are rotated weekly, and there are anywhere between 3-8 different positions at each hole. The different positions are not merely cosmetic, but can drastically change your line or the throw you need to execute. Other courses may have different positions, but I feel they may only change the way the hole is played slightly. I feel this course is infinitely replayable because of the constantly rotating positions; it's like playing a new course each week!
Cons: As others have pointed out innumerable times, the crowds are INSANE. I'm not going to go into too much detail since they've been discussed ad nauseam, but I would like to address something that not many others have pointed out much, and that's the recreational nature of this course: I find that too many times I will hit my preferred line, only to have my disc batted down by a phantom branch. At times there are simply too many random objects in the way, which can at times make the course feel like an unpredictable mess.

I also feel there are too many blind shots and criss-crossed fairways--seriously, you will never hear "FORE" yelled as often or as loudly anywhere else. But for the small amount of land they have, the course design is generally excellent, although ultimately I would prefer to see more open long distance shots and less crossing fairways.
Other Thoughts: I've heard people voice concerns over the parking lot situation (e.g., not being paved concrete and having too few spaces). I've found a simple solution to this: There is a large parking lot near some baseball fields and an archery range close to holes 14/16. I generally don't even try to look for parking in the main parking lot and simply prefer to park in the back. Less hassle that way.

They finally setup a net around the teepad for hole 19 (bravo!), which is in a position that's in the middle of 3 crossing fairways. However, the teepad for the 2nd hole is right near a basket in one of the positions from hole 1, and waiting at the benches can be extremely dangerous. I feel another net around this tee would be a good idea. (3/28/18 UPDATE: Upon reflection of this idea, I don't think it's practical. If a net were put up around the 2nd teepad, it would likely hinder access to the basket positions to the right. I also believe it might create a false sense of security for the people waiting on the 2nd teepad, as people throwing from the first tee will often try to hyzer their shot to the basket, and a net would not deflect all throws. I think in the interests of safety the basket position by the 2nd teepad should be removed permanently.)

Ultimately, Morley is a blast to play, crowded as hell or not. Each hole has its own unique characteristics and defining traits which make each drive from the tee feel like a special experience. It's simply a fun course that I would recommend as my number 1 disc golf destination for people visiting San Diego--it's a disc golf experience unlike any other!

Got to play with Ian from CCDG as a tour guide

2-4    7/20/2017   8/31/2017
Review By: BBB-SoCal
Pros: Multiple Pin Positions (changed each Monday)
Brand new DISCatcher baskets (July 2017)
Manicured grounds
Good mix of challenges over entire course
Great locals
Cons: Some pins are invisible from the tee.
Tee signage is a bit exaggerated in terms of pin locations.
Some holes overlap in terms of opposing throws.
Other Thoughts: I had the pleasure of playing with Ian A. from CCDG on this course and he was a great guide.
The grounds are well-maintained (for the $4 or $5 admission price) and are constantly worked upon. The money does go to a good cause and there is a pro shop and an ace pot available if you need it.
I have been told that this course is insanely busy but I played at 6am and had the course to myself.
This course does require you to have a good amount of shot selection (FH roller, BH roller, forehand, etc.) to really get a good score.
The signage is a little cartoonish in its scale and would make it hard for a first-timer to accurately aim at a hidden/far basket.
I enjoyed this course a lot and I actually managed to get 2 birdies my first time playing (and none the second time I played) which is very good for me. I had great company and I would recommend others visit this course too (preferably early in the morning).

Great Time

1    7/17/2017   7/29/2017
Review By: Prost
Pros: -Outstanding staff that is courteous and helpful
-Great variety of shots needed
-Great us of elevation in a small space
-Well thought out placement of protective netting to keep throwers safe (a couple of holes throw near the tee pads to other holes)
-Well maintained course
-Benches at every hole
-Great signage and layout
Cons: -Because of the limited space, you need to look around and duck when people are yelling
-I didn't run into this problem, but there can be some waits (the line was stacking up a bit as I left)
-Can be difficult to locate baskets even with the outstanding signage
-If you show up early be aware that they could be changing baskets as you're playing (at least on a Monday morning) and the sprinklers can add a new element to your throw
Other Thoughts: -The earlier you show up, the more open the course is. I can't speak to how early they start letting people play, I got there at 7:15 and never waited at all for a whole.
-If you have questions, the staff is great but the people on the course are super helpful as well.
-I didn't run into any parking problems (and was driving a full-size SUV), but I could see if it could be more difficult to park

Great course, with some minor inconveniences. I can't recommend to get up as early as you can to not run into the crowding issues at this beauty of a course.

The mecca!

2-4    2/21/2017   3/30/2017
Review By: Tan-Vic-Own-Sim-Moon
Pros: Awesome course, fairly short, but great use of trees and bushes
Cons: could use a bit more length, course is packed every single day all day so very very slow rounds. Discs flying everywhere at all times, so heads up!

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 11