Appling, GA
IDGC - Jim Warner Memorial Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #16 (Taken 10/2011)

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Iíll take having this be the third best course on a property

1    9/5/2020   9/14/2021
Review By: BigAl724
Pros: Jim Warner is probably the "least cool" course at the IDGC. It doesn't have as much character as the other two (those being insane championship level and super fun), but it still matched my expectations. One of the greatest aspects of the IDGC are the distinctions between all three courses.

Without knowing as much about Warner going in, it has two distinct sections to it. The front 9 has North Carolina-esqe wooded holes. The shots are tight with slightly less forgiving rough than the other courses, while still being fair. Nothing crazy, but some fun holes.

These include real fun shots blind shots, some with large ditches mid-fairway and near the basket to contend with. They also at times offer sneaky elevation changes with a mix of downhill or down then uphill shots. Holes 3 and 6 were the highlights for me.

The back 9 is where it does get crazy. As expected as the front 9 felt, the back 9 were a pleasant surprise that included some extreme elevation changes. They play closer to Steady Ed and the lake, and feel vastly different than the front 9 - offering great variety.

10-13 rotate from extreme downhill to extreme uphill shots. Then 14 comes. I don't know if I've ever stood longer at a tee debating what and when to throw. The only others I can think of are Selah Lakside 7 and Peregrine Point 3. Partly, yes, because I'm a wimp but also because there's really only one route to take. Miss the shot and most likely will be adding multiple shots to your score.

15 is another fantastic hole, and one of the most memorable ones at IDGC (that's saying something). I'll even put it up there with some of the crazier holes I've played; reminds me of a few at Paw Paw. It is a true par 5 with long windy fairways, and multiple elevation changes and creek crossings.
Cons: There is not a lot "wrong" here. It's a well-balanced course with a few very memorable holes. It doesn't quite have the fun-factor as Steady Ed or the championship caliber as WR Jackson. It has the lesser versions of both of those aspects, but is still a very solid course.

Not a lot around the area - on our 30 minute drive from our hotel off I-20, all we saw was maybe a gas station and a food truck. Come prepared. Unfortunately, the pro shop was closed when we played there, but I'm sure it's a nice bonus on top of playing the courses.
Other Thoughts: The IDGC is one of the greatest disc golf destinations in the world. Coming in with very high expectations, all three courses surpassed them to some degree. The price is well worth it, truly a steal for what you get.

We took our time play Steady Ed and then WR Jackson on day 1, then started the next day playing Jim Warner. I think that is a good order to play them in, though would maybe put this one first if playing all three in the same day. Again, this is an incredible destination, and I can't wait to return.

A Standard for Tight Woods Holes

1    5/22/2020   10/14/2020
Review By: Shadrach3
Pros: A very wooded 18 holes worthy of the IDGC.

-Amenities: Top notch, like other IDGC courses. Concrete tees, very descriptive signage for the back tees (not the fronts), plenty of benches, at least a dozen practice baskets, perfectly maintained Chainstars, several next tee signs. Normally the pro shop/museum is open, but wasn't for my trip during coronavirus.

-Terrain/Beauty: A beautiful plot. The first 9 are heavily wooded with some hills, but things really ramp up on the back nine, which play down towards and around the lake. I couldn't play Steady Ed on the day I went, but I would guess that Warner places lower than it and higher than Jackson.

-Elevation: Great use throughout the course. The (10)-(15) region presents an especially brutal workout, but makes the disc-throwing very exciting.

-Shot Shaping/Variety: Warner may be a one-trick pony, but it sure is a pretty great trick with many variations. There is just about every imaginable kind of hole that uses thick woods here. Up, down, flat; left, right, straight; turning, dogleg, pocket; par-3, par-4, par-5; Warner's got it. A sampling of holes includes a straight shot over a creek valley on (6), the downhill-to-left-pocket par-4 (8), a stunning downhill run straight to the water on (12), a cliff-shot to a green just on the other side of an inlet on (14), and a winding, uphill, 619' par-5 beast on (15). Again, just some really excellent woods holes throughout.

-Challenge: The distance may not be as huge as on Jackson, but the thick woods covering renders Warner a high-advanced if not championship-level challenge. Scrambling will be a Herculean endeavor for many lacking tee shots.

-9 & 9: You could just do 9 holes if you're tired, or fed up with hitting trees, or the sun sets.
Cons:
-Navigation: I had some trouble right near the beginning, after hole 2 I think. Because it plays near Jackson, the next tee path goes two directions (one is towards Warner 3, one is towards Jackson). Turn left. Also, the (9)-(10) transition is very long. Follow the road back to the parking area, and tee (10) is near the start of the Steady Ed course.

-Forgiveness: There may be some to be found at Warner, but not a lot. I wasn't on my game the morning I played, and it cost me a lot of strokes. Stay away if you dislike hitting trees and/or have release point issues. My partner and I were both relieved to follow up this scramble-fest with Jackson, which has a little more room for left-right error.

-Workout: With the steep hills, Warner can begin to be a bit of a slog.

-Disc Loss: It would be possible to lose something in the rough, and also in the inlet of (14) or possibly (15).

-Pay-to-play: The combined greens fee and vehicle entry was no more than $10 (I think $8 for PDGA members). That's a pretty reasonable price just for Warner, but it includes Headrick and my favorite course, Jackson, which makes for a sweet deal.
Other Thoughts: This is a pristine example of a challenging course in the thick woods. The only reason I leave Warner at Excellent is that 18 holes of woods golf begins to get repetitive. It's not boring, but it can be beleaguering. Perhaps in time I'll come to see it as Phenomenal, but for now I still recommend it as a high-quality track.

The Start Of My Best 5 Hours Of Disc Golf.

1    7/22/2018   9/28/2018
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (4.204 Rating) A stunning medium length technical course.
- UNIQUENESS - The variety on the Warner layout is way up there in my personal rankings. Great use of elevation with up shots, down shots and valley shots. The course is mostly heavily wooded, but several of the longer holes are 30 feet wide or more and feel closer to the moderately wooded moniker. Water comes into gut checking play once with mild clear through some trees. I do however wish (10) and (12) had basket placements further down the slope and closer to the water's edge. Several par 4s and one par 5. Lots of guarded basket placements with pockets and windows to hit. There's not much missing here other than open plays. It's a great mix and it will be cherished by those that like longer technical holes.
- RAW BEAUTY - Full of pleasing fairway lines worthy of snapping a photo. Like the other two courses, Warned is a fully wooded gem with plenty of elevation change. I think the clear pageant favorite is (14). Not only does this hole have part of Clarke Hills Lake in play, it's a valley shot with a framed tee box shot and down fairway tunnel to split. I also very much enjoyed the tee shot look on (6), which is another valley shot, but this one is over a headwater creek that breaks left to one of three basket placements.
- CHALLENGING - The second most challenging layout at the IDGC offering Advanced level plays with a few shorter tees dialing it back to Intermediate level. I peaked at some recent rated rounds from a tourney and noted that an even par was drawing a 951 rated round. The back layout requires players to be precise, but also requires a few controlled 450 foot bombs down 30 foot wide fairways. I personally thought the front tees put my Intermediate level skills to test.
- NAVIGATION - A great large course map posted at the entrance of the layout. The baskets have neat navigational arrows slipped around the polls. There are navigational posts between most baskets and next tees. My only grip is that I wish the navigational posts had tee #'s indicated on them rather than just stating "Next tee."
- FACILITES - The extras away from the course are over the top. I guess that seems fitting for the PDGA headquarters. There's a huge pro shop. A comfortable air conditioned lounge area. A museum with one of Headrick's ash infused discs. There's vending and grills, a huge shelter, picnic tables and 5 practice basket in a warm-up field. The combination of all of these features on and off the course very much added to my experience.
- CHARACTER - In addition to navigation and facilities, the on the course basics and extras are above average. The tees are great. 4 feet by 12 feet and tapering to 6 feet wide in the back. Eight holes have multiple tee pads and seating is on every hole. Just about every tee pad was shaded as well. The baskets are adequate, Chainstars and six holes had multiple basket placements.
- MAINTENANCE - The whole IDGC is in wonderful shape. It appears crews rotate maintenance between the courses, so it's hard to imagine that one could show up here with horrible unkempt fairways unless continuous rains kept mowing from occurring weeks on end.
- LOCATION - 54 high quality holes in one location. This place is a whole day destination.

Cons: The issue are basically limited to preferential things.
- FORGIVENESS - Although short enough for Recreational players, for those that can't hit 15 to 30 foot lanes consistently, this course can become very self-defeating at times. In addition, regardless of skill level, players will hit trees many times out here. When there's a ricochet in the wrong direction, scrambling for par may take a miracle. The fringes don't really have any insane overgrowth areas but it's still thick enough to require some searching from time to time.
- PAY TO PLAY - I want to say I paid three dollars for the general park entrance fee and another three bucks for my greens fee as I'm a PDGA members. (Non-PDGA members have higher greens fees.) 100 percent worth it for this course by itself.
- TERRAIN - Players that have bad knees or ankles should probably avoid coming to the IDGC. There are lots of undulations in the fairways and I also personally smacked a couple smaller stumps and tree roots. The Warner layout does appear to be somewhat cart friendly, so a Zuca should work well out here.
- TIME PLAY - I finished my solo short tee round in about 80 minutes which is a bit longer than the average course. Figure a group of four will be in at around 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

Other Thoughts: Put the Warner layout just about anywhere in the country and it will draw in people in droves. It's beautiful, challenging and full of hole variety. This stated, it was honestly my least favorite of the highly enjoyable trio at the IDGC. Warner is neither the gold level challenge of Jackson, nor the super eclectic fun mix of shots seen on the Headrick course. Rather, it's a mix of both elements just dialed back a bit. Despite my slightly overall lower rating compared to both Jackson and Headrick, Jim Warner is a can't miss course in its own right. Players should plan for 5 hours here solo to hit all 3 courses and up to 10 hours here if with a group of 4 players.

Awkward Middle Child

1    7/11/2018   7/15/2018
Review By: blake833
Pros: There is nothing new I can say about this course that hasn't already been said by reviews more experienced and skillful than I. Let me hit some of the highlights for ya:

The IDGC is nestled back in Wildwood park, bordering Clarks Hill Lake. Warner doesn't see the lake often, but the back 9 starts off by the water and plays with some of the creeks a bit. The elevation back here can be extreme, and if you're into throwing straight up and down hills, this will be your favorite section of the IDGC.

The baskets on this course are so much better than Headrick. it was a great relief. The tees are grippy concrete, and the signs are great. On a course with multiple pins and blind throws off the tee, they help a lot. Especially when the baskets are consistently in one position or the other.

The obvious: the hole design is pretty various and fantastic. The pro shop on site is a luxury. There are so many fun holes on this course, and you can lose sight of that in the middle of what is the tightest and can be the most frustrating course of the three.
Cons: Not having the raw fun-factor of Headrick, or the championship caliber epicness of Hendricks, Warner is just kind of there as the Jan Brady of the three courses: that awkward middle child who's really not bad at all but is pretty much out-shined by the charisma of her siblings.

The fairways here are just a little tighter. The elevation is a little steeper. And that really is what knocks this rating down for me: I tire very quickly on courses that just lay the holes up and down hills for 5 or six holes in a row. It's exhausting.

A good rule of thumb in course design is the longer a hole, the wider the fairway. Sometimes on this course, even on the elevation holes, you had to hit some TIGHT gaps at a pretty long distance. I don't mind a little challenge, but I want to be out on the course for a good time not a long time, and I was on this course for a looong time.
Other Thoughts: I fell in love with the IDGC. Playing these courses reminded of some of my favorite hikes, or backpacking trips through the mountains. Part of me was looking for good campsites by the water. But this was better because I wasn't carrying 55lbs and I was playing disc golf with one of my best friends, which could be a pro or con depending on who's winning :)

But there's nothing like playing at the Disc Golf capital. Warner may not be my favorite course, but you still gotta play it. I don't think anyone could go to this facility and regret it

Oh My!

1    4/17/2018   4/18/2018
Review By: thrembo
This review was updated on 5/22/2018
Pros: The hilliest of the three courses here, and the most fun in my opinion. Extreme elevation changes have you throwing up and down massive hills and across spectacular valleys. All set in a wonderful wooded area. The course is very challenging, even from the red tees. Real par fours (one or two could have been par fives in my opinion). Two sets of very nice concrete tees and very nice tee signage. Plenty of next tee signs make navigation very easy.

A nice pro shop, disc golf hall of fame and museum, and two more 18 hole courses on site. $5.00 per car entrance fee and $5.00 per person to play (all three courses for all day. $3.00 for current PDGA members and locals) which is a bargain for this facility.
Cons: Nitpicking time. No trash cans on the course. Only simple benches on the course. A picnic table every few holes would be welcome. The navigation does get a little weird on the front nine in places but the map does help. There are some blind pin placements that will force first timers down the fairways to locate them.
Other Thoughts: Wow, what a course though! Wear your sturdy hiking shoes and prepare for some serious climbs. It isn't quite as severe as Canopy Tours, but close. Those with weak constitutions might want to avoid this one. New/rec players might be overwhelmed. This is a five-star facility and every disc golfer should put this place on their bucket list!

Another great IDGC course

2-4    7/8/2017   7/10/2017
Review By: djtripp20
Pros: Jim Warner is the "intermediate" course at the IDGC, and it has a lot going for it. There is TONS of elevation here, and much of it comes into relevant play during your round. Be prepare to throw uphill on drives, downhill on drives, uphill putts, over valleys, etc. Some tight tunnel drives are mixed with big dogleg fairways. Overall, great course.

And the other stuff to make a great facility:

- Dedicated staff at facility
- Pro shop on site
- Plentiful parking
- Maintained grounds
- Tee signs on each hole
- Next tee direction markers after each basket
- Benches and shade coverings if waiting at teepad
- Practice area for putting and approaches
- Scorecards, etc available in pro shop
Cons: There's not much to say bad about this course other than it's just not as memorable as the other two. By itself, it's a phenomenal course... but by comparison it's hard to remember more than a few of the holes. Just be prepared to walk up and down hills A LOT. You may also come across some wildlife such as snakes and spiders out there.
Other Thoughts: This is one course of three at the IDGC... and like I said above... probably the middle in terms of difficulty. The entire facility is great. It's definitely worth a visit if you're in the Augusta area. To make it a real adventure, camp in Wildwood Park (where the course is located). Reservations can be made online.

A great test in the woods

1    3/21/2017   4/11/2017
Review By: Chained Evil
Pros: This course offers great lines that will challenge your shot shaping abilities as well as your mental game.
The elevation is excellent and only adds to the complexity of the course. Low ceiling shots are accounted for here and some holes have protected baskets. Dog leg L and R playing holes and there is a solid mix of short, moderate, and longer holes as well. There were a couple of holes in which would could come into play to add to the challenge of the round.
Tee pads are ample providing for a proper run up and the signage was excellent as well. Directional arrows to keep you headed in the correct direction.
Multiple pin placements to keep things from getting stale.
DGA Chainstar baskets did a great job of catching.
Some of the holes had alt tee pads to provide you will a different look.
Benches could be found throughout the course and some baskets had flags on top so you could see the pin from the tee pad. Bridges in the correct places to assist you in crossing the creeks.
Cons: The transition from hole 9's basket to 10's tee was rather long and slowed the flow of the round down a bit. I would suggest taking a copy of the map to avoid confusion.
Also the footing in spots could become and issue due to the elevation and the rockiness of the soil.
These are minor cons.
Other Thoughts: This is one of 3 courses that can be found at the International Disc Golf Center. It is pay to play, $3, and is the bargain of the year and totally worth it. IMO this course has the most elevation of the 3 courses on the complex. I have played several courses over the years and this course was one of the best challenges that I have faced to date. I loved the variance in the elevation changes and the technical shots that each hole presented.
I found myself being challenged both mentally and physically and I didn't mind one bit. I would drive back from Kansas in a heartbeat to play any one of these 3 courses.
Do yourself a favor and plan a trip to the IDGC and play all 3 of the courses in this complex. Make a day of it and tour the Disc Golf Hall of Fame and PDGA headquarters which are on site. If you love quality disc golf and the history of the game then this place will be heaven to you. I can't wait until I can return someday and relive this experience. So worth it.

Worth a trip to play

1    4/2/2017   4/5/2017
Review By: ROTFLandmines
Pros: A lot of elevation changes
Other Thoughts: Just as everyone else has said, the IDGC has a wonderful atmosphere and a lot of great amenities that most courses will not be able to offer. That being said, I put this course in the middle of the three available. It has a lot of elevation changes, and i enjoyed that a lot. Definitely worth taking the trip

IDGC - Jim Warner Memorial

1    11/16/2016   11/28/2016
Review By: lazrman778
Pros:
Has concrete tee pads with notches carved across

Has benches throughout the course

Has tee signs

Some holes have alternate basket placements

Has next tee signs posted throughout

Mostly wooded than open fairways with doglegs and significant elevations

Challenging, long course with variety of pars

Water comes into play on a few of the holes where there are opportunities to lose discs but the current drought has significantly reduced the water levels of the lake and creeks for that not to be a concern

Has two loops of the front and back nines

Well-maintained

Has practice baskets from different manufacturers
Cons:
Chainstar baskets are difficult to locate on most holes

Course layout felt repetitive especially playing the back nine - going downhill and going uphill, repeat and then playing across the gully for a few holes

Pay to play but worth it
This is the second of the three challenging scenic courses at IDGC that I enjoyed playing. This course is the one that I enjoyed the least as the layout seems repetitive especially playing the back nine - going downhill and going uphill, repeat and then playing across the gully for a few holes. The course is also less forgiving with its narrow fairways if you make any errant shots and emphasizes on control to shoot a low score. Like the Steady Ed course, this course also takes advantage of its hilly terrain to make it challenging. The Chainstar baskets were in nice condition but they are hard to locate on most holes. It would be nice if IDGC could paint the baskets a color that's easy to spot. I did notice that they painted the tee sign holders and posts orange so maybe they will apply that same color to the baskets someday. All in all, very challenging to play this course after playing Steady Ed on the same day. The pay to play can dissuade some from playing but I have paid more to play a less enjoyable course before. $3 to enter the park and $3 for a PDGA member to play all day is a bargain! In the clubhouse, the pro shop sells discs from many manufacturers as well as issue out course maps and scorecards with the highlighted current pin positions. Along with the pro shop, there is a snack machine, breakroom, restrooms, and the Hall of Fame all inside the clubhouse operating from 9am-5pm. A soda machine is located outside the clubhouse underneath the pavilion nearby. Playing this course and one of the other two on the same day makes a nice day trip.

Challenging but fair

1    3/6/2016   3/6/2016
Review By: Moose33
Pros: One of the three excellent courses at the IDGC and possibly my favorite.

The teepads are very highly textured both on the long black tees and the shorter red tees.

Baskets are chainstars and they are fine, balanced well and catch nicely, most have a flag on the top which makes the all silver bakset easier to find on a wooded course.

Maintenance is meticulous, pads were clear paths were safe. There is work done here.

There are two pin placements for a total of 4 possible configurations of the course.

Really nice mix of elevation and heavily woods a little water and overall some great golf out there.

Course is medium long but the mix is good and fair, so newer players would find it hard but not punishing. Experienced players would have a challenge but one you can handle.
Cons: Long walk between 9-10 stood out.

If the flags weren't on the baskets it's hard to see them.

Really heavily wooded and there is not one open hole so it can get slightly repetitive.
Other Thoughts: This one might have been my IDGC MVP. Really want to get back and play it again.

< Prev 1 2 3 4