Roscoe, IL
Porter Park Share
Uploaded By: teebird Hole #5 (Taken 5/2009)
Hole #4 Tee: Short with a wall of trees to throw through (or over)

Share URL:

1 2 Next >
 Not a bad little 9 holes!

1    11/1/2009   11/1/2009
Pros: 1) Beginner friendly for the most part because there arent too many wooded shots the water is hardly in play, but it will still challenege a beginner. Wind will be a factor on a couple holes.

2) Rubber teepads are the best (rubber) I have seen. #1 is the only one that wasn't prefectly level, but only at the edges.

3) Nice new baskets catch great and are installed properly.

4) Teeposts have small but very nice signs. They indicate the hole layout which is nice, even though you can see the basket from every tee. It helps give perspective.

5) Well designed for this property. I am not sure if there is room anywhere else to put more holes, and the design incorporated all of the assets of the property. A stream on two holes, a small little pond, a nice long row of trees on #9, the ridge that protects the rest of the park from flooding is even an asset. One short wooded hole is a tough shot but well designed.

6) Challenging course because of the variety in shots, but all holes are duecable with a well exectued throw (except maybe #1 unless you are a long bomber).

7) Turf in the park is in good shape and it looks to be very well groomed.

8) Clubhouse and garbage cans in parking lot and by ball field are helpful to keep this course and park clean. Vending machine has sodas and water available too which is nice to have on a course.
Cons: 1) Some of the holes are long walks between basket and the next tee. #4 basket to 5 is strange you go out the way you went into 4 basket and then over a wire fence and backtrack up a hill which is about half of the fairway for #5. #5 to #6 is long bu is absolutely necessary to avoid the ball field and bleachers where observers would be standing.

3) Mostly a short course so it won't challenge the better players.
Other Thoughts: All in all I realy enjoyed this course. There were some good holes and not a single throwaway hole (although #1 was somewhat boring straight and open albeit longer than most holes). I would rather have seen #1 moved elsewhere on the property to better take advantage of some of the other land. The baskets are nice the teepads are nice, and the teesigns are adequate and descriptive. There is water, a couple of tighter wooded holes, some open rippers, a fair double dogleg hole (#8) where you have to stay left initially and then want the disc to cut back to the right to get near the basket. The long row of trees on #9 is something I have not seen before, where you have to stay outside that treeline for most of the flight.

Porter Park

5+    8/11/2009   8/11/2009
Review By: Big_Man
This review was updated on 7/23/2010
Pros: This course is close to my house, so I go here a lot. Porter Park is pretty open, so if you like throwing for distance this course might be up your alley. One hole that I love to hate is #3 which is relatively wooded with a creek running to the right and a swamp to the left. If you have a strong enough arm you maybe able to make it around the trees and up the hill near the basket. Your throw better be good however, because I would avoid going into that swamp at all costs.
Cons: Can be considered pretty easy for the pars they put on some of the holes. Some of the par fours can be easily birdied. More experienced golfers may play each hole as a par 3 to create more of a challenge, which I usually do and makes the course much more enjoyable.
Other Thoughts: Overall I think this course is great to learn on. The course rarely has many other people using it, which is nice and leaves little waiting time while playing. I would suggest it over Belvidere's course which is heavily crowded with people picnicking in the middle of the park. If you are more experienced I would probably suggest driving the extra 25 min and heading over to Anna Page in Rockford.

C- = below average 9-holer

1    7/2/2009   7/3/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == C-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == C+
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == C-
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == B-
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A

Over time, I expect to fill some of my reviews in with more descriptive verbiage...if what I can add anything to what has already been written. For now, my list is more important to me than the verbiage of my reviews.

I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me....that's the fun of things here. See my profile for my rating philosophy.

My new home course

5+    5/17/2009   5/17/2009
Review By: teebird
Pros: This course is pretty open, but has some good obstacles on some of the holes that require a variety of throws to get through it. Water comes into play on a couple holes and very dense trees on number 4. Part of the course is visible from the road and I believe a lot of new people are trying it out because of this.
Cons: Only 9 holes and there is a long walk between some of the holes.
Other Thoughts: I have talked to some of the Roscoe village council and told them that there is a lot of interest in the course. If we show a lot of use of the course and keep it clean, they may be willing to add 9 more holes.

alright

1    4/4/2009   4/4/2009
Review By: duain
This review was updated on 8/7/2014
Pros: the baskets and rubber tee pads are nice. decent mixture of shots.
Cons: could have had better pin placements for some shots. the flow from pin to tee pad sucks on a couple holes.
Other Thoughts: lots of potential just needs the proper course design to utilize the land better.

Porter park review

1    3/16/2009   3/18/2009
Review By: Dahminator
Pros: I love this course. All the holes are long and take up a huge area of space for only being a 9 hole course. I also really love the location. Has a bit of a mix of open shots as well as holes with trees to dodge.
Cons: Considering the fact that it's only a 9 hole course, I really can't think of many cons because this is my kinda course. There is very little elevation change. Also, the vending machine was all sold out :(
Other Thoughts: Big arms will like this course