Walhalla, SC
Sertoma Field Share
Uploaded By: BennettUA Hole #4 (Taken 11/2010)
Hole #4 Tee: Basket is near the crest of the uphill

Share URL:

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Like a fine wine

1    9/30/2017   9/30/2017
Review By: Bennybennybenny
Pros: -Wow! Sertoma is a great course! And it's closer to WCU than I thought. So you are next to the mountains when you play here.

-Pro and con. It's deceiving for the first couple holes. They are okay. But then you get to hole 3 and you're like wow! This course is great. Hole 3 is a 407' downhill bomb. And she's a pretty one! And then the hole quality stays at a rather pleasing level. Most holes are short, but they don't get repetitive.

-Elevation is used quite well throughout the course. There are many downhill ace runs that have good opportunities for an ace, and the uphill ace runs, well. Same here. #8 comes to mind. It's 143' and steep uphill, and I hit chains.

-Very well maintained. The grass fairways were cut, and the rough wasn't too rough either. The biggest risk in losing a disc is throwing near the creek.

-Already said this previously, but the hole quality is spectacular. Many holes really stood out to me. I loved the long downhill bomb on hole 3. I also loved 8. I thought hole 9 was a very unique shot down a tunnel. The more challenging holes (10 and 11) were great as well. Hole 10 is a narrow 300' foot putter/mid shot out of the woods. #11 has two lanes. The safer lane would be a big hyzer and go for par. The left lane has a better birdie opportunity, but is through a gap with a ceiling and woods to the left. Hole is open, and is really beautiful.

-Now my favorite hole was #14. It's a sweet downhill right to left small hyzer onto a green that slopes downward. Another beautiful hole, and sure is a fun one.

-The signage is very accurate for the most part. The fairways are well defined, so on the holes that you can't see off the pad, you could look at the diagram and just throw without walking down the fairway.

-Nice tee-pads and the baskets are in good shape.
Cons: -The course is really well maintained, so it's hard to think of many cons for this course. There is danger on holes 5-7. The creek is in play, and since I played pretty awful, I threw in there twice. And it's straight down about 10' from the fairway. So it's dangerous to retrieve discs if you aren't careful.

-Really, it's just the first hole. It's kinda boring. The second hole is okay, but can be irritating if you aren't a RHFH thrower or a lefty backhander. I also think #12 should be a bit longer as it is 141' and downhill about 20' in elevation. Course isn't shocking to where it's a 4.5 or a 5. But it's a well earned four because it is quite enjoyable.
Other Thoughts: -It doesn't bother me that there aren't any par fours, even though a couple of holes here could probably have long pin positions that play as fours. I'm giving this course a four because it seems to be very close to the optimum level, and each hole has its own merits. It's obvious that the county was serious about wanting a course up in Walhalla because it's well maintained and kept up with.

-Course is great for starters, but can still be penalizing. And it's not penalizing to where you can't blame yourself for a bad shot. A low score can very well happen here, and there are many redemption holes to look forward to. I strongly recommend this course, it was worth the hour drive. The Shaver Recreation Center course is also closeby, and is a good course as well.

-Finally, the course is not directly at the entrance. You've got to drive past the fields and park toward the end of the parking lot. You'll see the practice basket in a fenced field.

Sertoma Field

1    9/3/2017   9/8/2017
Review By: lazrman778
Pros:
Has practice basket

Has tee signs

Has some concrete tee pads

Has many benches throughout course

Has next tee signs posted throughout - easy to navigate

More wooded than open fairways with doglegs and elevations

Short course that is great for a beginner or for one to work on the short game

Free parking - but it's a walk to the first tee and from last basket

Restrooms - closed at the time I was there
Cons:
Some of the gravel tee pads are not flat

Many opportunities to lose discs in the creek with steep banks - recommend backup discs

No variety in pars - par 54
This is a short, fun 18 hole course in Walhalla that I enjoyed playing on a sunny Sunday afternoon after an ace race event which was held earlier in the day. When I pulled into the parking lot, I found the practice basket right away. I walked past the practice basket and then located the first tee further down on the left side near the creek. From there on the course is easy to navigate since there are next tee arrows posted throughout the course. The course has much improved its tee signs because they're more readable now.
Although the course is a short par 54, it has a good mix of flat, uphill, and downhill holes with a number of ace runs here. Holes 12 and 15 are very nice ace opportunities with the putter. A few of the holes have a creek with steep banks on the left side which can be intimidating for those not capable of maneuvering steep elevations. Thankfully I was able to avoid the creek and not risk injury as I didn't have any rope. The course was in great shape but the restrooms were closed. If you're in the area, I recommend playing this good course. I made a day trip of playing Grand Central Station and this one afterwards and had lots of fun.

Fantastic

1    4/28/2017   4/29/2017
Review By: kohldad
Pros: Great direction signs to a large degree of varying layout along some well maintained paths. Absolutely fantastic course for the intermediate to the beginner and a good course for the more advanced.
Cons: Starts with nice concrete pads bit then changes to fine granite sand which gets kicked up into your shoes.

Watch the water hazard a of the disc hours on it is probably lost forever. There are a couple of holes which this is highly likely if you go at them from a distance and it would be nice to have a catch area here which could easily still be marked as ob.
Other Thoughts: Played with my daughter and we both have a 150, and really enjoyed the course. Never had a problem locating the next tee our problems finding a disc. Has been a few years since a review has been written so wasn't sure how we would find the course a they sometimes fall on rough times but we were not disappointed and glad we had chosen this course. The shorter course really made it fun for us.

Walhalla if ya hear me

1    5/17/2014   5/20/2014
Review By: heelboycraig
Pros: Sertoma Field Is a fun, shorter-length course. The course offers a great range of variety, making this one of more enjoyable courses in the upstate.
- Course has a great flow to it. I never felt like I was playing the same type of hole back-to-back, or even too often. You have an uphill, open hole, such as #4, you get a wooded, mid-range layout on #5; you go from a tight wooded fairway on #10, and it's followed by an open dogleg right on #11.
- Course overall is pretty short, yet there's still plenty of challenge. The average hole length is 236 feet with only three holes longer than 300 feet, with the longest at 402 feet, and even that one is wide-open and downhill. Throw is some good elevation (I enjoyed #8); good dog legs (#7 is a good challenge) and water holes (lost disc factor on #6 & 7 if you're not careful).
- Adding to that challenge, there's a great risk-reward factor. For intermediate level and above, every hole is deuce-able. Getting too aggressive can also lead to possible bogeys, bad bounces and/or a high risk for lost discs.
- That said, this course is also good for less experienced players. You can play this course very conservatively and walk away with 18 straight pars. Because there are no true long holes (as mentioned #3 plays much shorter than 402 feet), big arms are not needed.
- Course is very easy to navigate. On many holes, there is a short walk from basket to next. Also, on most holes there's usually only one path and or next arrow signs, so you really can't get lost if you tried. The hardest hole to find might be the first one.
- There's a huge fun factor at this course. Going back to the flow factor, even when there is a less exciting hole, you end up with something better immediately after. It got to the point that by around hole #5 or 6 that once I putted out I would already be looking forward to what the next hole would be like.
- The course is good for a quicker round. My buddy and I were trying to get a round in before the sun went down. Without much struggle, or at too harried a pace, we played through in 50 minutes. The biggest detriment to the fast pace of play will probably be the drive because this course really does seem like it's in the middle of nowhere.
Cons: I'm really struggling to find anything glaringly wrong with this course. This course is pretty close to achieving its optimum level. If most courses maxed out their quality, the majority of courses would be far superior to their current states. That said, let me nitpick.
- Minimal benches or trash cans throughout the course. Basically I don't remember seeing a single one, but I didn't pay attention on every single hole, so there could be one or two. That said, a couple more could be useful.
- Tee signs could be improved. I like the wooden, hand-drawn, simplistic style for the most part. For some of the more difficult (meaning blind tee shots), a more descriptive sign would be helpful.
- Some people may not like the lack of truly challenging holes. Like I said, this is a course an intermediate-level player could easily get 18 straight pars (or better) with little challenge. One could also play the course throwing nothing more than a midrange disc, and still see plenty of birdie chances. That said, spacing issues probably preclude this course from adding any more length.
- #1 seemed like a somewhat odd beginner hole. At 118 feet and without much challenge, it's atypical to get such an easy, almost throwaway type of hole to begin a course. It's probably the easiest opening hole on any good course I've ever played. All that said, the view and the layout do make it interesting, which is this course's theme.
Other Thoughts: Sertoma Field really is a solid course. It's never going to be confused with an elite level course. For what it offers, it does it well.
- This region sure knows how to build great short courses. Between this course, Trails in Anderson and Timmons in Greenville, these are three of the best shorter courses I've played anywhere. I don't what your secret is, but I wish you could show others how to build great short courses. I'm not always a fan of courses where the driver can stay in the bag, but these are all exceptions to the rule.
- This course should appeal to players of most skill levels. I also see this being a great course for an ace race.
- I didn't see or feel one true signature hole at this course. There are just a bunch of good holes that make the round quite enjoyable. I wouldn't say that's a positive or a negative, so the thought goes here.
- Perhaps my best compliment to this course is that I played three days before writing this review. And in the days since that round, my interest and excitement in the course has only grown. I liked the course then, and now as I'm replaying the course in my mind, I'm ready to make a trip back that way for another round.
- This course is a solid 3.0 in my book. The fun factor is much higher, which is why I understand how others have rated it higher. For me, it just doesn't meet the challenge, or overall quality of courses I have rated 3.5. That said, this is a solid, very enjoyable course. The next time I'm in this area, I'll make sure to head out of my way to play here again.

pitch and putt reward time

5+    11/30/2013   12/6/2013
Review By: hellbound
Pros: Set off to the side of a city park you are away from any non disc golf activity. Most of the 18 holes can be easy birdys if you have a controle drive. The course uses creek/river to its avantace with more than one hole having you shake your head as you go diving for you disc.
Cons: Tee pads need to be updated along with the signs. (at this time it is in the works to start fixing this issue)

So far away from greenville that this jem of a course could see a little more use
Other Thoughts: If visiting the lower part of the upstate i would make a stop on out. its a fun little course that has its own look and feel. I do have to give props to the park and rec guys they do put a good amount of work into making a great looking course

Interesting, fun course

1    11/22/2013   11/22/2013
Review By: MtnMan1
Pros: -good use of land and elevation
-fun and easy
-ace runs
-set apart from rest of park, very little interaction with other park users
-no big views or anything, but very scenic woods with several mature trees and a good sized creek
Cons: -only one con, but for me it was a big turn off...too many really short, semi-repetitive holes
-some people didn't like the gravel tees; I thought they were fine, particularly because none of the tee shots are full power
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course. For an intermediate player like me, a doable course with lots of birdie possibilities is always welcome. BUT, for me, this course gets ridiculous with the several super short shots off the tee.

I will play this course again and would recommend it. I would really like to see an experienced designer take a shot at stretching out a few of the super short tee shots.

Small town Beauty

5+    8/11/2013   8/12/2013
Review By: TOURNEYPLAYER
Pros: Let me start this review by saying I have always enjoyed this course, it is a beautiful piece of land with water, rolling hills, nice wooded holes and a few ace runs. While this isnt a top level course it does serve a very good purpose. Getting people off the couch and throwing discs. when you come into the park, there are baseball fields all along the parking lot and the disc golf course is actually a separate piece of land. This always earns bonus points for me. being away from the rest of the park makes the Disc golf more enjoyable. This course has a great mix of open and wooded holes, tight gaps, and ace runs. The local club has moved Hole 1 (yay!) to a more reasonable distance. It used to be a jump putt. I think this course can really show you what you need to improve on. It will certainly not challenge top level players, but it can be a place to work on approaches, hitting gaps and control. on a few holes, namely #5 you need to not go left. if you do, the creek(more like a roaring river right now) will take your disc forever. same with hole 6 as the basket is about 5 feet from that creek.
Cons: The length is not really a con for me. I think that it is designed to be a course that is fun for everyone, and that is exactly what Sertoma field is, FUN!. But if your idea of fun is throwing drivers for distance then maybe skip this one, and Shaver park and head up to Chatooga Belle Farm.

Bathrooms are not always open and could be an issue for disc golfers with families.

Poison Ivy all along the rough on hole 11. I have never seen so much Poison Ivy in my life. if you play this course and are allergic to the stuff do not go left on hole 11. play something safe and to the right.

Tee signs could use an update, they were nice handmade wooden signs and they have just faded over time. It is very difficult to read the distances on some of the holes.

Teepads- they have updated some of the most important teepads from the gravel that used to be on all of them. if they could find a way to make them all cement or get the rubber mats to go over the gravel it would earn at least a half a disc from me.
Other Thoughts: I love playing Sertoma (or as I call it, Walhalla). my only problem is that it is about an 1:20 from my house.

for anyone visiting from out of town, I would say go play this course, then go to either Grand Central Station or Shaver Recreational for a little more challenge. both courses are within 30 min or so of Sertoma.

Amazing Course for all levels

5+    6/15/2013   6/15/2013
Review By: InnovaSpyder421
Pros: This course is set aside from a recreational park, which makes it good for more than just Disc Golf. There is an equal amount of open holes as enclosed holes. The signage is simple and easy to understand. The course is also well maintained with lawn care done weekly. I've played this course in Snow, rain, and shine and I have to say that no matter the weather... you should get out and throw.
Cons: The signs could use an update for those who haven't played the course it can be a little confusing.
Other Thoughts: I feel lucky this is my home course.

for local leisure rounds

2-4    8/26/2012   8/29/2012
Review By: ssittler
Pros: > permanent baskets and well maintained fairways
> signage and layout of course allows for easy navigation
> a great place to bring kids and/or folks that are new to the game
Cons: > this is a very short course - I mention that as a con because I played here in a tournament. That said I was expecting more than a slew of holes less than 200'
Other Thoughts: This may be a good place to practice approach shots and such but its not a "destination" course. For anyone other than locals this course is good (read: very average) but isn't worth a trip out of the way, in my opinion.

Opinion of a new guy

2-4    7/21/2012   7/25/2012
Review By: RockstarJ
Pros: Very well laid out
Beginner friendly
Away from other things in the park
Cons: Signage could use some updating/replacing
I can't remember which hole it was, but there was a ton of broken glass on one hole.
Other Thoughts: I had only played one round when I came here...I've played this course more than any other in the area....So far it has been my favorite course to play.

< Prev 1 2 3 4